HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 14, 2009, 09:53 AM
Is everyone from California?
Orange County, NY
Joined May 2007
234 Posts
Discussion
Windfree Build Log?

Any Interest in a Windfree build log? I know there have been some in the past, but thought I'd throw it out there....
yaitsfast is offline Find More Posts by yaitsfast
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 14, 2009, 10:17 AM
Huntington Beach
Joined Aug 2000
728 Posts
Absolutely, there canít be enough build logs here; especially a classic.
Buran is offline Find More Posts by Buran
Old Oct 15, 2009, 04:51 AM
Puyallup, WA
Joined Nov 2001
1,590 Posts
DO IT!!!

Classics are always a good one. No matter how you look at them. I'll be watchin............
tinkrerpilot is offline Find More Posts by tinkrerpilot
Old Oct 15, 2009, 06:51 AM
Float like a butterfly...
USA, NJ, Pompton Lakes
Joined Aug 2007
343 Posts
I'll be watchin as well
dave440c is offline Find More Posts by dave440c
Old Oct 15, 2009, 07:44 AM
Orange County, NY
Joined May 2007
234 Posts
Ok, Ok, and so it will be done. Im just gathering supplies now. Im expecting to get started over the weekend. Going to make some minor mods, maybe add some CF in the wing. Probably going to use mostly wood glue, very Bob in Seattle of me, so it will take a while. But this is my winter build so what's the rush right?
Old Oct 15, 2009, 09:03 PM
I need some building time in t
United States, AZ, Douglas
Joined Nov 2007
1,616 Posts
Are you considering any other mods besides the CF in the wings? If you want some more ideas check out my old Windfree build log in this section. I took mine to full carbon spars as well as adding full span flaperons for camber control. Not a hard mod and very little extra weight was added to the airframe. End result were wings that took a direct hit from a shade awning that went over in the wind and the wing survived with only minor damage. Cost for the spars was about $50.
scaflock is offline Find More Posts by scaflock
Old Oct 15, 2009, 09:09 PM
Joined Nov 2007
1,616 Posts
Here's the link to the thread

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=988122
Old Oct 16, 2009, 06:49 AM
Puyallup, WA
Joined Nov 2001
1,590 Posts
yaitsfast

very Bob in Seattle of me, for using wood glue. Too funny. But it really works.
I know Bob on the personel side. We both work for the same company in Renton.
He has learned alot in the few short years he has been at this, and has built a few great models to boot, along with some of his kit bashing ones.
All good.

scaflock

Great build. Looks very nice. The mods would really enhance the models performance.
Thanks for the link to the thread.

Bring on the Build thread...................
tinkrerpilot is offline Find More Posts by tinkrerpilot
Old Oct 16, 2009, 07:49 AM
Orange County, NY
Joined May 2007
234 Posts
If only my building was as high a quality as my comedic interludes....... I will not be modifying the wing in any way other than strength. You did a nice job, but I am building this as a RES ship so that if I feel the need to enter a nostalgia contest, I will be able to. On a seperate note, my father is also conducting an aquila build thread here for his winter project, check it out if you like woodie builds. We will be maidening them both in the spring.
Old Oct 16, 2009, 05:24 PM
The Lone Blue Plaid Flyer
Seattle
Joined Jan 2003
7,585 Posts
HI yaitsfast,

Thanks for the kind words. I don't like any glues but J B Weld and TiteBond II. And your right, it's getting to be Winter, who cares how long it takes to dry ? Good luck on the build.

HI Tink,

Thanks for the compliments. You taught me a lot.

Bob in Seattle
Bob Cook is offline Find More Posts by Bob Cook
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 17, 2009, 05:30 PM
Orange County, NY
Joined May 2007
234 Posts
All right then ladies, grab your Titebond, favorite beverage, and lets get started. Errrrrrrrrr, stop! So the first step is to lay down the lower spar of the right wing, which I am going to make carbon, and I have none. Not a very strong out of the gate showing....... However, I was able to get get the leading and trailing edges cut and spliced as they come in 3 foot sections and the wings are 4. So I did that and punched out all the ribs. Things I have learned already...... 1, 30 year old balsa is quite dry and brittle. 2, CA still glues fingers together just like it did when I was 10. And 3, I still enjoy building. I took some pictures of the original kit, cause it is in such great shape. I almost hate to build it, but thats what it was made for. And now that I have the plans, I can always build another. More to come, more supplies needed.
Old Oct 17, 2009, 06:56 PM
USA, NJ, Pompton Lakes
Joined Aug 2007
343 Posts
G: Nice bench! BTW did you cover the plan with clear wrap or wax paper so the glue won't stick? Couldn't tell from your pics............
Old Oct 17, 2009, 07:39 PM
Joined Nov 2007
1,616 Posts
yaitsfast,

I ran into the same problem on my build. My kit had been setting on the shelf in the garage for about 30 years as well. The spars were VERY brittle so I replaced them with solid carbon ones. The only other wood issues I had were some small insect holes in some of the sheeting.

If you're going to go RES I'd suggest that you use the pull string and single servo method. The Windfrees wings are super thin and I had problem getting small enough servos to fit into them. By using a pull string system you can mount the servo into the fuselage. A simple rod with a couple of lock collars will allow you to adjust the strings with ease. As a matter of fact, it would most likely be easier to set up your spoilers than it is for me to hook up the flaperon system I used on mine.

Just remember to take your time on the build and you should be fine. It's a great plane design but some of the instructions are a little on the vague side at times. If you run into problems feel free to PM me and I'll let you know how I did it. BTW... I used Titebond II for my build and it works great.

Jeff
Last edited by scaflock; Oct 17, 2009 at 07:43 PM. Reason: additional thought
Old Oct 18, 2009, 09:06 AM
USA, NJ, Pompton Lakes
Joined Aug 2007
343 Posts
Titebond II here as well. Can't go wrong
Old Oct 19, 2009, 12:15 PM
San Diego area
Joined Jul 2006
516 Posts
I was able to install an HS-55 in each wing. It is a fairly tight fit; have servo arm push spoiler surface without any linkage. Use rubber band to retract spoiler.
craigrrr is online now Find More Posts by craigrrr