IS there any RC simulators for Mac?
u31218908 is offline Find More Posts by u31218908
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 16, 2001, 04:45 PM
Long-Time Member
Cologne, Germany
Joined Dec 1996
2,394 Posts
Sorry, as for now I am not aware of any R/C flight simulators for Apple computers.

But I raised that question about a year ago, but not in The E Zone; I contacted a few flight simulator producers directly. I was told the market for Macs isn't big enough to invest the time writing new (or translating the existing) programming language for Macs.

One simulator maker actually wrote me that the Mac graphic capability is far inferior to that of Windows PCs a point I highly contest. From my experience, I'd consider them very equal. But the computer market consists of approximately 80% Windows PCs, so that's where the money is. And when a manufacturer is looking to make money, I can't argue that they'd make a killing profit designing simulators for Apples.

Regardless, I will never own a Windows PC again, although I'm forced to use them occasionally. In my early computer days they gave me nothing but headaches. And the problems encountered with Macs and I admit, there are some far underweigh the hemorrhaging I went through with DOS and Windows for nearly 10 years.

I'm happy with my Graphite iMac and I'll live without being able to keep my flying proficiency up to par using a computer simulator.

[This message has been edited by James Frolik (edited 06-16-2001).]
James Frolik is offline Find More Posts by James Frolik
Old Jun 16, 2001, 09:31 PM
Adelaide,Australia
Joined Apr 2001
235 Posts
Get the a convebtional flight sim for the Mac. Use "tower view" to simulate R/C flight.

Simulators only give you half the story. I'n my opinion, they are harder to fly than the real thing. Although rebuilds ARE a lot quicker
procrastination inc is offline Find More Posts by procrastination inc
Old Jun 17, 2001, 06:43 PM
Gravitationaly Challenged
La Canada, CA USA
Joined Oct 2000
354 Posts
Yes there are no R/C flight sims for the Mac. :-(
I have also found no love using Virtual PC to run FMS.
It just won't work.
I do find Virtual PC handy to run Ecalc. It will also let you run Motocalc and other less demanding Windoze programs. A boatload of memory (RAM) is helpful.
remember: your mileage may vary.
jmelzer is offline Find More Posts by jmelzer
Old Jun 17, 2001, 06:59 PM
Winnipeg, MB Canada
Joined Jan 2000
2,419 Posts
U: if you're intelligent enough to buy a Mac, you don't need the simulator! Tex.
Sabrejock is offline Find More Posts by Sabrejock
Old Jun 17, 2001, 08:26 PM
Most Exalted Windbag
Newark, DE USA
Joined May 2001
1,632 Posts
procrastination inc. said:
Get the a convebtional flight sim for the Mac. Use "tower view" to simulate R/C flight.
==========

That's what I've been doing. I use "tower view" in x-Plane:
http://www.x-plane.com/

The last time I flew RC was 15 years ago. I used the flight sim for practice before flying a Bleriot III a couple of weeks ago. Due to the slow speed of the plane and the sim, I've been doing pretty well. No real damage so far.

The sim helped me with the backward coordination required for flying toward me. Also gives practice in getting re-oriented when plane specks out in the distance. I doubt that I would have flown as well without it. I used a Cesna 172. That seemed to have approximately the speed I wanted.

RB
Red Baron 47 is offline Find More Posts by Red Baron 47
Old Jun 18, 2001, 07:42 AM
Adelaide,Australia
Joined Apr 2001
235 Posts
Now now! I have one of each and yes, the mac is friendlier, prettier and generally more refined. BUT, the PCs at work have a real hard time understanding the Mac, not so the other way round. It's like the old VHS/Beta video debate. Beta WAS better, but VHS won by lowest common denominator.

Joe average just won't pay for quality. Very sad world.
procrastination inc is offline Find More Posts by procrastination inc
Old Jun 18, 2001, 07:50 AM
Long-Time Member
Cologne, Germany
Joined Dec 1996
2,394 Posts
This is my third post here, and I have deleted my second post that was just before procrastination inc's post on 06-18-2001. In retrospect my first (and longer) post says enough.

[This message has been edited by James Frolik (edited 06-18-2001).]
James Frolik is offline Find More Posts by James Frolik
Old Jun 18, 2001, 08:12 AM
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Jul 2000
173 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by James Frolik:
One simulator maker actually wrote me that the Mac graphic capability is far inferior to that of Windows PCs a point I highly contest. From my experience, I'd consider them very equal. But the computer market consists of approximately 80% Windows PCs, so that's where the money is. And when a manufacturer is looking to make money, I can't argue that they'd make a killing profit designing simulators for Apples.
I don't know a whole lot about Mac's, but I thought the iMac shipped with ATI Rage graphics built into them. The ATI Rage was never really considered that great when it was current for the PC, and that was 3 years ago. With the GeForce 3 available for the PC, the Rage is now about 4 generations behind the state of the art.

Since anyone designing for the higher end Macs has to make sure it'll run on the most common iMac, it has to be detrimental to someone who wants to port software over from the PC that needs powerful 3D hardware (like Realflight G2).

[This message has been edited by Tim O (edited 06-18-2001).]
Tim O is offline Find More Posts by Tim O
Old Jun 18, 2001, 11:05 AM
-Flight enthusiast_
Lake Louise, AB, Canada
Joined Feb 2000
3,563 Posts
Fortunately I married a PC fanatic, and I didn't gloat too much about how my Mac stuff just worked without all that trauma. My RealFlight is on her computer

Glen
gpeden is offline Find More Posts by gpeden
Old Oct 23, 2004, 10:13 PM
Houston, Texas
Joined Nov 2001
112 Posts
Simulator for Mac Computers

It is amazing how many people are willing to spread half truths and down right misinformation.

The most advanced simulator on the market is X-Plane. It was originally written for the design and flight simulation of full scale airplanes. It is so realistic that the FAA has approved it for pilot flight training. And it was designed on a MAC COMPUTER AND RUNS ON A MAC COMPUTER. You can run X-Plane using any USB joy stick or your keyboard. As X-Plane has an open interface, there are many RC airplanes available to run on it.

The only hitch is in interfacing the Mac computer to an RC transmitter. At one time a company, RC Joy, made a universal interface for the Mac computer and every RC transmitter. This company is presently out of business and I have been unable to locate another one.

Do not let the misinformation of the PC crowd discourage you.

Bryan Swinney
blswinney7 is offline Find More Posts by blswinney7
Old Oct 23, 2004, 11:03 PM
Frequent flyer
Grand Forks, ND
Joined Aug 2002
632 Posts
Quote:
One simulator maker actually wrote me that the Mac graphic capability is far inferior to that of Windows PCs a point I highly contest
I've done some graphics programming on mac (os 9 in particular) and it always seemed that the openGL interface was somehow crippled in mac. the same card in a similar pc was visually quicker. not sure why, it just was. that and the fact that macs tend to ship with underpowered cards anyway. (apple loved the nvidia 5200 for quite a while, plenty to run realflight but a very budget basement card...)

anyway though... mac's won't get decent simulators for the same reason many games never make it to mac or take a year after pc release. the market is much too small to support it with a decent profit.
rkramer is offline Find More Posts by rkramer
Old Oct 24, 2004, 04:53 AM
Norfolk, UK
Joined Jul 2002
595 Posts
There are in fact 2 sims other than X-plane on the Mac now (I have them both).

The first is a heli sim & is far from perfect:
http://alphaomega.software.free.fr/r...Simulator.html

& the 2nd most recent addition, which is actually pretty good, is a slope soaring sim - see this thread:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ht=sss+sim+mac

The 2nd one requires you to subscribe to a yahoo user group, no problem there or spam, & also you need to use the OSX Terminal to get it to run. If you're not familiar with terminal (like me), read through that thread as it tells you how to make it run (it's easy).

There is one other called crrsim - again a slope soaring sim, I never really got on with this one & it doesn't compare to SSS.

Even if you're not a slope soarer (like me) - I'd suggest getting SSS, as it is actually quite good.

What I'd like to know though, is has anyone got a tx adaptor to work on the mac - I haven't tried myself, but I'd like to know what works before buying one.
soundman is offline Find More Posts by soundman
Old Oct 24, 2004, 10:19 AM
Crash=change of flying medium
Boulder, CO
Joined May 2002
1,356 Posts
USB interface from MileHighWings.com works on Mac:
http://www.milehighwings.com/faq.htm#4
bluesky123 is offline Find More Posts by bluesky123
Old Oct 24, 2004, 08:21 PM
Joined Oct 2004
1 Posts
I have been using RC helicopter Simulator 1.1 for OSX. Im not sure how it rates cause I dont own a rc helicopter (yet) and I have not used anything ese. It does enbable you to adjust turbulence, wind speed, transmitter input.

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/8558
or
http://www.alphamacsoftware.com/
werx04 is offline Find More Posts by werx04