HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 13, 2009, 10:53 PM
Joined Sep 2005
65 Posts
Discussion
90 degree servos arms

How is everyone adjusting their servo arms to 90, are you guys just eye balling or use some type of tool?? What is the best way?
Thanks
RCFUN12 is offline Find More Posts by RCFUN12
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 13, 2009, 11:07 PM
Detroit 2-stroke junkie
USA, CA, Oceanside
Joined Jul 2008
3,257 Posts
After finding the arm that will get closest to 90deg I use Sub-Trim.
1320fastback is online now Find More Posts by 1320fastback
Old Oct 14, 2009, 03:57 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
12,996 Posts
You should find that depending which way round you put the arm on the servo, it lines up better one way than the other.

To explain that a bit better, (if my memory is correct), there is an odd number of splines on the servo shaft and arm, and if you have a servo arm that has an arm out each side try it, then take it off, turn the arm 180deg and try again. Quit often it will line up better one way round than the other. (Ok so that may not have been any better )
If you have a spare servo output with four arms, try it in the four rotations, (90deg), to see the difference.

If you only have single arm ones then I eyeball, plus have the greater movement side to the control I prefer.
Another explanation ? , ask and I'll do a drawing, it's easier.
eflightray is offline Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Oct 14, 2009, 04:28 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
12,996 Posts
Here's the better explanation of that last statement.

It's basically differential movement. Often used for ailerons where more up movement than down is required. Similarly it can be used on elevator where you may want more up than down. Though it's not a lot of help on rudder .

So the arm doesn't have to be exactly 90deg, a few degrees in the right direction can help.

Anyway here's the picture.
eflightray is offline Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Oct 14, 2009, 06:19 AM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2006
4,258 Posts
Simply put, I get it as close as I can and then don't worry about it.
Mode One is offline Find More Posts by Mode One
Old Oct 14, 2009, 06:41 AM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,285 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mode One
Simply put, I get it as close as I can and then don't worry about it.
That idea has worked for me, for over 20 years.
TomCrump is online now Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old Oct 14, 2009, 07:02 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCFUN12
How is everyone adjusting their servo arms to 90, are you guys just eye balling or use some type of tool?? What is the best way?
Thanks
Assuming you are trying to simply get the arm at 90 degrees to the servo case, and you want an equal amount of throw in each direction, then see this mini-tutorial on how to use sub-trim to dial in the servo. Also, make sure you don't dial in too much sub-trim, as you can overdrive the servo by doing so.

Using Sub-Trim to set servos at 90 degrees

Chuck
NoFlyZone is offline Find More Posts by NoFlyZone
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 14, 2009, 10:52 AM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2006
4,258 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoFlyZone
Assuming you are trying to simply get the arm at 90 degrees to the servo case, and you want an equal amount of throw in each direction, then see this mini-tutorial on how to use sub-trim to dial in the servo. Also, make sure you don't dial in too much sub-trim, as you can overdrive the servo by doing so.

Using Sub-Trim to set servos at 90 degrees

Chuck
Chuck, 90 degrees to the servo case accomplishes nothing. It's more important to have the servo arm 90 degrees to the pushrod travel and I think this is what the O.P. was talking about.
Mode One is offline Find More Posts by Mode One
Old Oct 14, 2009, 10:59 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mode One
Chuck, 90 degrees to the servo case accomplishes nothing. It's more important to have the servo arm 90 degrees to the pushrod travel and I think this is what the O.P. was talking about.
But if he learns how to use the case as a reference point, then he has learned how to set the arm for any angle from 1 degree to 360 degrees; since the process is exactly the same, right?

Chuck

By the way, if that's what you think he wanted to learn, then why, pray tell did you just tell him to set it close and not worry about it if it's important to have the arm at 90 degrees?
NoFlyZone is offline Find More Posts by NoFlyZone
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)