HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 13, 2009, 11:44 PM
Houston, Tx.
Joined Mar 2009
52 Posts
Discussion
1/12 scale R/C Consolidated PB-2A

Greetings guys,

I've been lurking on this forum for a while now.... hoping to absorb some of the knowledge contained here.

Although I only have a trainer right now I'd really like to scratchbuild a warbird... its going to take some time so I'll be a little less green when comes time to actually fly it, but I'd really like to get started. I have a shop full of wood and metalworking tools ready for this endeavor.

Now I know some people are ready to tell me that I'm not ready for a warbird but I have tried to carefully select a plane from my favorite era (the 30's).

The plane I would like build is the Consolidated PB-2A.... although the PB-2A is technically a single-seat fighter.... a P-51 it is not. Its big, slow, and by all accounts I have read... rather sluggish, but does have much lower wing loading than the average warbird.

I have located two sets of rubber, FF plans for the plane:

P-30 (earlier 2-seat version): http://www.theplanpage.com/Months/2110/conp30.htm

PB-2A: http://www.theplanpage.com/Months/2209/pb2a.htm

Both are by Paul W. Lindberg, I also have a very high resolution, digitally restored and assembled version of the second plan.

I've been lurking long enough to know that some old these old rubber, FF plans are not very accurate when it comes to building scale models. But some studying with a calibrated eyeball leads me to believe these are pretty close, I'm not sure these even have extra dihedral added.

I'd like to think I am smart enough to figure out how to adapt this old plans for Electric R/C, but what I am unsure about is the kind of stuff only veteran scratchbuilders would know.

My biggest concern is strength... I've read that these old models are built super light... making them suitable for conversion to small electric power.... however, I would like to increase the scale to 1/12th.

1/12th scale would give it a wingspan of just under 44", not too big or small. Should I be thinking about beefing up the structure at that size? IMO the current wing attachment in the plans looks very flimsy... I was also thinking of skinning the model with balsa to better simulate the original stressed-skin construction.

What kind of wing loading should I be shooting for? The full size PB-2A had a wing area of 297 sq ft. and wing loading of 19 lb/ft. Again by all accounts I have read the plane was overbuilt and overweight....

What kind of power should I need for a this plane? I want realistic performance, I have read too many warbirds are overpowered... and I have no desire to build this one the same way. Top speed was 275 mph, I know there is no such thing as "scale" speed... but you guys probably understand what I mean.

Any tips, thoughts or suggestions would be very much appreciated.
ChaseR83 is offline Find More Posts by ChaseR83
to remove ads between posts