SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio

Lazer Toyz Lazer II Reciever-Ready Kit Review

Available from Lazertoyz.com, the Lazer II is a great "fly anytime" addition to any hangar!

Splash

Introduction

It's Friday evening, and you decide you want to go out for dinner. Where do you go? There are always the obvious fast food places and the huge chain restaurants, but sometimes you just want something a little different.

Now, translate that story to the RC world. You have the major distributors, the cheap store bought planes, and then you have Lazer Toyz. I found out about them by word of mouth and was excited to see the neat planes they had to offer. The Lazer II is definitely a little different, but it's an awesome plane when youíre craving a little diversity.

Wingspan: 27.25 inches
Wing Area: 222 square inches
Kit Weight: 1.7 oz.
Flying Weight: 8 oz.
Length: 19 inches
Wing Loading: 5.19 oz/sq. ft.
Speed Range: walking speed to FAST
Servos: Towerpro 9 gram
Transmitter: Spektrum dx6i
Receiver: Spektrum AR500
Battery: 11.1v 850mah Vampower 25C
Motor: Blue Wonder 27g 2712-12
Prop size: 8x6DD
ESC: 10Ax
Typical Flight Duration: 5-10 minutes
Manufacturer: Lazer Toyz
Available From: Lazer Toyz
Price: $24.99 (kit only), $39.50 (Plug-N-Play), $89.00 (Receiver Ready- As reviewed), $119.00 (prebuilt)

Kit Contents

The kit, right out of the box.
The kit, right out of the box.
Individual packaging!
Individual packaging!

The Lazer comes in many different flavors: prebuilt, receiver ready kit, and foam only. Unpacking the kit, I noticed the neatly attached bags of each individual part- talk about attention to detail! The printing on the foam was in great shape, and the laser cut parts were just begging to be put together.

Kit Contents:

• Foam wing
  • Foam fuselage pieces
  • Foam tail parts
  • Foam elevons
  • Ply motor mount
  • 3mm Carbon Fiber support bar
  • 1 roll Blenderm hinge tape
  • 2 pieces velcro
  • pre-bent metal pushrods, EZ-Justers, and control horns
  • 2 Towerpro 9g servos
  • 2712-12 brushless motor
  • 10Amp ESC
  • 850mah Venom 11.1v Li-Po battery
  • 2 8x6DD props
  • Prop-saver kit with spare O-rings

Required to Complete:

• Your own radio (must be capable of elevon mixing, or use a mixer)
  • Your own receiver (at least 3 channels)
  • Epoxy or similar foam-safe glue (Regular CA will NOT work)
  • 1-2 Hours

Assembly

The Lazer has an online direction booklet, and itís actually written in clear English! They can be found here: http://lazertoyz.ncweb.net/directions_files/LazerIIdirections.htm .

The build took me a little over an hour - a perfect project for watching the Red Bull Air Races.

Wing

The kit comes with a flat carbon fiber ro, and a pre-cut slit across the wing. All that is required is to glue the rod into place. I chose epoxy for this because I wanted the support rod to be as strong as possible. Once the carbon fiber strip is glued into place, the wing really has a lot of added strength, PLENTY for the power system. I would be really surprised if you managed to break the wing from pulling too hard. The instructions call for beveling the elevons, then using the supplied Blenderm tape to hinge them. The kit comes with a full roll of tape, so you will have enough for the kit and many more tape hinges too.

Carbon rod glued in, and vertical stabilizers test fitted

Servos glued into their slots. A small notch will be necessary to give the servo lead room.

Tail

The two ďruddersĒ glue in easily, just sliding into the precut slot. Make sure that the bottom tip lines up with the servo pocket, so servo installation doesnít need cutting.

Fuselage halves and rudders glued in.

Completion

The motor mount glues right onto the rear + shape of the fuselage and wing. Then, you just have to screw the motor mount on.

Motor and mount installed, and servo linkages in place

The prop saver is a must on this plane. I have near 2-3 hours on this airframe and have yet to break a prop, even with days of seeing how low I could get it.

Ready to go!
Ready to go!

The kit came with some battery bay reinforcement pieces, and I added them for strength. It makes the front very strong, but has an effect on the balance.

Battery in place, with supports.
Battery in place, with supports.

Balancing this plane is important. The battery location offers some room to play around with balance, and the instructions also suggest balancing the plane ĹĒ in front of the servos. For slow, nose high flying, I liked this spot (in conjunction with a good amount of up elevator trim), but those looking for more all around flying will probably prefer balancing further back.

Bring it on!
Bring it on!

Radio Installation

I chose to use an AR500 receiver, both because I had one available, and wanted to see if I would be able to mount it to this plane. It felt right at home here, and thatís where it has stayed.

All electronics in place.
All electronics in place.

And now installed. Really easy.
And now installed. Really easy.

Flying

Basics

The Lazer can fly at a wide variety of speeds, from nose high crawls, to full throttle rockets. Tossing the throttle stick to the top means plenty of vertical power, and a cool, powerful sound. The Lazer performs best in as little wind as possible, really showing itís stuff in zero wind conditions but managing wind fairly decently for a light, flat foamy.

Orientation was never a problem, unless the plane was in between the sun and me. The sun made the paint show through the other side, almost tricking me into thinking I was flying inverted. As soon as the bright sun was no longer shining through the white foam, I could quickly reorient my mind. A strip or two of colored tape on the bottom would be helpful for maintaining orientation all the time, or far distances.

Taking Off and Landing

It really doesnít get much easier than this in terms of hand launching. The instructions advise to hold it by the ďcanopyĒ and toss it up, making sure to follow through with your toss to keep your hand clear. It will take off nice at 2/3 throttle, but WOT offers an attention getting vertical climb, thatís sure to impress everyone watching. Landing is just as easy: I found that with little to no wind, lining the Lazer up directly at you, about 50 yards away, and about 50 yards up is the sweet spot for hand catches. A little elevator, and small throttle spurts are all thatís needed to come in nicely for a catch. The long fuselage part makes for a very easy catching area, and you can even grab the wing if need be.

Landing the old fashioned way is even easier, but I found that carrying some downward momentum into the landing, then flaring at the last moment makes the softest landings. After a couple of these, you may start to develop some grass stains on the bottom side. For most, this isnít anything worth mentioning, but if youíre OCD like me, putting some strips of the included Blenderm tape along the bottom skid areas will keep the foam from being stained.

The prop saver is especially helpful here. The prop almost always folds up, with little damage. The only damage I encountered when landing, was due to leaving the motor on until the last second- the momentum from the prop continued, and put a dent in the foam of the wing when it folded. Not really a big deal, but something to watch out for.

Aerobatics/Special Flight Performance

The Lazer is in Indoor/ Outdoor flyer, with no airfoil or rudder. It is capable of a huge variety of throttle settings, from a few clicks with lots of elevator, or throwing the throttle all the way up. I liked it slower, mostly because I just wanted to see how low and slow I could get it.

The only issue I encountered here, was its tendency to lose elevon authority while going with the wind. I found that flying with the wind meant that I needed some throttle to get the elevons to respond at the recommended settings. Increasing the throw (both on my radio, and changing the control hole) helped here, I just felt like the recommended spot just wasnít enough.

The Lazer loops easily, creating very tight circles. Outside loops and inverted flight are possible, but require a lot of throttle (if your plane is balanced with the battery at the back of the battery bay). A more neutral balance and flying style (mine was trimmed for slow, nose high flight) would surely make these maneuvers much easier.

Rolls are possible and are very axial with a neutrally balanced plane. I even managed a few torque rolls in very calm wind, reducing throttle slowly from full, until the plane stopped going up. I was really surprised and impressed at everything this plane could do, being a flat, light, and rudderless craft.

The Lazer on a white background.
The Lazer on a white background.

Is This For a Beginner?

The Lazer is light weight, it can fly slow and is a blast to fly- but I don't think it would make a good first plane. It only has elevon control, so turns could get out of hand for a new flyer quickly. It also doesnít glide very far untrimmed for high alpha, so a beginner might find it too fast. Wind can be a little tricky too, but anyone with a little aileron practice (or even the fast learner of a rudder only plane) will not have a problem with this plane.

Flight Videos

Downloads

The Lazer in the snow  44.86 MB

Streaming video
Type Name
Online Vimeo version found here

Conclusion

At the end of the day, The Lazer II is a plane that Iím glad to throw in the car. Its small size, light weight, and catchy design makes it a great plane to bring along. It has a wide variety of flight speeds, and has no problem with whatever you can throw at it.

Pluses

• Predictable flight characteristics
  • Wide variety of speeds
  • Easy to store and transport
  • Great looks and motor sound

Minuses

• Ideal balance spot seems to be further back
  • Recommended throws arenít quite enough for outdoor flying

A special thanks to Dan and Lazertoyz for supplying the review kit. Also, thanks to Trevor McKinney for the video, Jim T. Graham for his rockin' music, and to our editor Angela.
Last edited by Angela H; Dec 07, 2009 at 05:22 PM..

Discussion

Old Dec 08, 2009, 09:47 AM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,520 Posts
Great review - and excellent video! Nice catch!

Mike
pda4you is offline Find More Posts by pda4you
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 08, 2009, 10:18 AM
Slow Flyer
Richmond, TX
Joined Apr 2008
3,236 Posts
Looks like a fun little plane. I can vouch for this small company...quality products, great service, great folks.
Bombay is offline Find More Posts by Bombay
Old Dec 08, 2009, 11:34 AM
United States, CO, Boulder
Joined Sep 2008
7,433 Posts
Haha, thanks guys. The original plan was to have the cameraman catch it, but that was too scary a thought for him.
Playing around with catches is one of the most fun parts of this model, because there are so many ways to do it!
Kmart is offline Find More Posts by Kmart
Old Dec 08, 2009, 05:31 PM
Joined Feb 2009
7 Posts
Nice job on the review - the restaurant analogy is a good one and I'm thinking the Lazer II might be like those restaurants and deli's that the locals know about, but the tourists rarely find.
Thanks for showing us the menu!!
meehan is offline Find More Posts by meehan
Old Dec 08, 2009, 05:37 PM
RC = FUN
Fort Wayne, Indiana
Joined Aug 2008
3,636 Posts
Nice Review Kevin! -Tyler
flyboy321 is offline Find More Posts by flyboy321
Old Dec 08, 2009, 07:12 PM
BadPilot
United States, IL, Custer Park
Joined Nov 2007
1,706 Posts
Kmart,

I have been flying the original Lazer for a few years now, what a fantastic and fun flyer. Dan and Diane of Lazertoyz are the most wonderful people to order from. They are both friendly, kind and sell some really low priced products that are of great quality.

Awesome review which is very informative. When I build my last original Lazer I will be purchasing three more of the new Lazer II.

Thanks for the review.

John
badpilotto is offline Find More Posts by badpilotto
Old Dec 08, 2009, 07:21 PM
United States, CO, Boulder
Joined Sep 2008
7,433 Posts
John-
Yes, they are great people, always helpful. Finding companies like this that still believe in the importaince of communication and customer service are increasingly harder to come by.

Tyler-
Thanks!

Meehan-
So, may I take your order?
Kmart is offline Find More Posts by Kmart
Old Dec 08, 2009, 08:47 PM
WARNING: May contain spam
United States, CA, Alpine
Joined Oct 2007
21,001 Posts
Sweet flyin plane

Nice review
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Dec 10, 2009, 08:52 PM
Caster Of Pods
Waco, Texas USA
Joined Feb 2005
1,004 Posts
I, too, am a fan of LazerToyz and their products. Wanna hear an interview I did with Dan for a podcast episode back in August? If so, check out this link:

http://thecrashcast.com/index.php?post_id=516069

Thanks for a great review, kmart!
crash-man is offline Find More Posts by crash-man
Old Dec 16, 2009, 11:10 PM
Illinois
Joined Oct 2005
11 Posts
These are really good!

I bought the original Lazer from Dan a few years ago at E-fest and loved it. Has over 300 flights now. When I saw this new one I had to have it also. I am flying it on 2 cells and it flies great just like the other one does on 3 cells. I let a friend fly the first one and he put it in hard. It just crinkled the foam peices a little at the nose. I squeezed them straight with my fingers and glued some thin liteply over the foam from the tip to 2 inches back and added some paint. Good as new! First class products from quality people!
Bud6 is offline Find More Posts by Bud6
Old Dec 21, 2009, 01:07 PM
just Some Useless Geek
Chicagoland
Joined Oct 2008
2,543 Posts
You just have no idea how good a Lazer is until you've flown one. I let everybody fly mine and they love it. Even after countless nose-destroying invert dumb thumbs the Lazer keeps on taking it and, once repaired Yet Again, flying well.

By the way, I'd like to point out that the Lazer II is all pre-cut and pre-colored, so the labor involved is minimal. For guys like me who want to get out there and fly you can put one together using CA in about the time it takes to charge up a 2S 800 maH pack. Make it flat and true and the trimming is minimal. The fun, however, is maximal!

Two thumbs up for LazerToyz and the Lazer II.
A Useless Geek is offline Find More Posts by A Useless Geek
Old Dec 24, 2009, 12:34 AM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,117 Posts
Lazertoyz also makes great lights for planes also. I have 3 sets of their lights, a fourth set to install. They are two of the best to buy from. Quick service, good products and good people to deal with.
They have lots of good products. Nice review also. Looks like it is a fun simple build and would be a hoot to fly.
Conehead
Orrin Eldred
Honor, Mi.
Conehead is offline Find More Posts by Conehead
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: TRAMPS Air Show, 28-June 2014
Old Dec 15, 2010, 12:17 AM
Joined Dec 2010
5 Posts
I know this is an older thread but just a note to say that the one they shipped me last week does NOT have the roll of Blend Derm or the battery reinforcements included in the contents.

There are two strips of a nylon looking plastic strip that zI used for skids on the bottom of the fins and the nose.

Otherwise, it is as described.
Funk Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Funk Flyer
Old Dec 15, 2010, 06:30 AM
Celebrating 300 posts!
Kirtland, OH
Joined Mar 2010
306 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funk Flyer View Post
I know this is an older thread but just a note to say that the one they shipped me last week does NOT have the roll of Blend Derm or the battery reinforcements included in the contents.

There are two strips of a nylon looking plastic strip that zI used for skids on the bottom of the fins and the nose.

Otherwise, it is as described.
I recently saw them fly at HEFE, the Holiday Electry Fly Event in Geneva, Ohio. LazerToyz was a sponsor of the event. I liked it and "had to have one", so I swapped e-mails with them and recently picked one up.

He said they changed the setup, but did not go into exactly what the changes were. He said the price did not change.

Last week, a portion of their Planes & Kits page was not viewable. My browser said "error on page" and did not show all planes they had for sale, including the Lazer II. I figured they may have done this to update the page to reflect the changes to the Lazer II setup. The page is repaired now. I don't see any notable changes to the page, so I don't know what might have changed on it.
markb0127 is offline Find More Posts by markb0127