HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 13, 2009, 05:41 PM
FICKLE FLYER
Corpus Christi, Texas, United States
Joined Dec 2002
1,190 Posts
Discussion
Anyone using an Exceed RC Monster Power 160?

I just acquired an Exceed Monster Power 160. for a ridiculous price, and think it might just be a good power choice fore my 80" T-34C. I am wanting to turn an 18x12, or so 3-blade prop at around 6500-7000rpm max.
Looking for info from those with experience with this motor. What speed controller are you using? What size packs? What prop? What plane?
Results???
tlh101 is offline Find More Posts by tlh101
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 07, 2010, 07:07 PM
Culper Junior
eastern pa
Joined Feb 2007
2,082 Posts
I know this is a 4 month old post but how did you make out with the Exceed Monster Power 160? Saw their prices on HobbyPartz and wondered about the quality.

Any imput?
aeronca52 is offline Find More Posts by aeronca52
Old Feb 07, 2010, 07:44 PM
FICKLE FLYER
Joined Dec 2002
1,190 Posts
Here's a thread on the plane I put it in: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1140362
Only using just a fraction of the power it can produce, since I am only using 6s. I have a T/F Giant Mustang that I may try it in with 8 or 10s.
Old Feb 10, 2010, 09:26 AM
Culper Junior
eastern pa
Joined Feb 2007
2,082 Posts
Thanks for the reply. Looks do-able for me. PM sent on other questions.
Old Feb 10, 2010, 09:32 AM
Spring warmth will soon arrive
United States, WA, Woodinville
Joined Mar 2007
8,003 Posts
For $50 bucks, the monster Power 160 is a bargain!.
Its solidly built and puts out gobs of power. I bought one for an Ultimate biplane thats waiting for some servo's to arrive.

Loads of power.

When my 73" Sbach 342 arrives at the end of this month, its getting the Monster power 110.

I've been running the monster power 32's, 46 and 60 motors in planes for sometime now. I wish they would get the smaller ones back in stock soon. Need two more Monster Power 32's!
cryhavoc38 is online now Find More Posts by cryhavoc38
Old Feb 10, 2010, 09:49 AM
Joined Apr 2007
515 Posts
I was going to order some 110's and 160's just yesterday to convert some of my planes from gas but none of their esc"s I saw were good for 8 or 10 cells. Their specs all said 2-6 cells only. Could this be a misprint on a 100 amp esc or am I missing something on their website?? Also which of their batteries are good?? I'd like to place one big order for shipping and discounts. THANKS
Hunkus is offline Find More Posts by Hunkus
Old Feb 10, 2010, 10:07 AM
Joined Mar 2007
8,003 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunkus View Post
I was going to order some 110's and 160's just yesterday to convert some of my planes from gas but none of their esc"s I saw were good for 8 or 10 cells. Their specs all said 2-6 cells only. Could this be a misprint on a 100 amp esc or am I missing something on their website?? Also which of their batteries are good?? I'd like to place one big order for shipping and discounts. THANKS
The Volcano speedo's are hobbywing controllers.
they are good to 6s

You would have to purchase an HV controller for 5-12 cells.

Currently, they are out of stock on the HV Hobbywing (exceed momentum) controllers.

You can get them under the Turnigy Plush name over at hobbycity, or from Hobbythunder.com

The "BLUE" lipo's from hobbypartz.com are fantastic. I've got a nice collection already and they have not let me down.
Old Feb 10, 2010, 10:10 AM
Culper Junior
eastern pa
Joined Feb 2007
2,082 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cryhavoc38 View Post
For $50 bucks, the monster Power 160 is a bargain!.
Its solidly built and puts out gobs of power. I bought one for an Ultimate biplane thats waiting for some servo's to arrive.

Loads of power.

When my 73" Sbach 342 arrives at the end of this month, its getting the Monster power 110.

I've been running the monster power 32's, 46 and 60 motors in planes for sometime now. I wish they would get the smaller ones back in stock soon. Need two more Monster Power 32's!
Where do you buy yours from? BTW does HV= high voltage? Or something else?
Old Feb 10, 2010, 11:44 AM
Joined Mar 2007
8,003 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeronca52 View Post
Where do you buy yours from? BTW does HV= high voltage? Or something else?
HV does equal High Voltage.

I have bought the Hobbywing HV's under different names, ie turnigy from HC and the Momentum (Hobbywing Platinum Pro, their new line of speed controllers) from hobbypartz.com.
Old Feb 10, 2010, 12:01 PM
Joined Apr 2007
515 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cryhavoc38 View Post
The Volcano speedo's are hobbywing controllers.
they are good to 6s

You would have to purchase an HV controller for 5-12 cells.

Currently, they are out of stock on the HV Hobbywing (exceed momentum) controllers.

You can get them under the Turnigy Plush name over at hobbycity, or from Hobbythunder.com

The "BLUE" lipo's from hobbypartz.com are fantastic. I've got a nice collection already and they have not let me down.
THANKS for the help man. HUNKUS
Hunkus is offline Find More Posts by Hunkus
Old Feb 18, 2010, 09:26 PM
Culper Junior
eastern pa
Joined Feb 2007
2,082 Posts
So I'm thinking of putting out my hard earned $$ for a Monster power 60.
It would be this item. http://www.hobbypartz.com/mo604brmo.html
Also I'm assuming if it is called a MP 60 that is has the power of a glow .60. Correct?

If the stats call for 'continuous current of 40 amps' do I need a 40 amp ESC?

It also says 'maximum burst current 60 amps'. Does that mean I should use a 60 amp ESC instead?

I'm thinking the correct answer is going to be the 60 amp item but just wanted to see what others think.

Another question-why don't the larger ESC's include BEC's?

Thanks for any imput to my measly questions.
Old Feb 19, 2010, 12:39 PM
Joined Mar 2007
8,003 Posts
Quote:
So I'm thinking of putting out my hard earned $$ for a Monster power 60.
It would be this item. http://www.hobbypartz.com/mo604brmo.html
Also I'm assuming if it is called a MP 60 that is has the power of a glow .60. Correct?

If the stats call for 'continuous current of 40 amps' do I need a 40 amp ESC?

It also says 'maximum burst current 60 amps'. Does that mean I should use a 60 amp ESC instead?

I'm thinking the correct answer is going to be the 60 amp item but just wanted to see what others think.

Another question-why don't the larger ESC's include BEC's?

Thanks for any imput to my measly questions.
Always use a larger esc than you "need". a 60amp is suitable for this setup, but an 80 amp wouldn't hurt.

Maximum amp of 40 is what the motor is rated at to stay happy, but burst current for those times you apply full power at takeoff, going ballistic, etc.

Larger esc's do contain bec's and any good speedo will have a switching bec versus a linear bec.

There are larger speedo's that are OPTO, meaning, in simplistic terms that there is no bec built in. These speedo's are usually used in planes that require alot of power or in larger planes where the user would most likely use a separate power system for the electronics.

regarding the MP 60 having the equivelant power of Glow 60, the answer is yes. This is used for sizing up the brushless motor to reference what the equivelant power of a 2 stroke glow.
Old Feb 21, 2010, 05:08 PM
Culper Junior
eastern pa
Joined Feb 2007
2,082 Posts
Thanks for the answers. I am beginning to understand it all. But now I must ask, what is the difference between a switching or linear bec?
Old Feb 22, 2010, 03:16 PM
Joined Mar 2007
8,003 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the answers. I am beginning to understand it all. But now I must ask, what is the difference between a switching or linear bec?
Linear, old tech...bad!
Switching, new tech...good!

Ok, best I can describe it.

ESC's with linear bec circuitry are lets say analog in design.

They are designed to work with 1s to 3s lipo's.
Any more cells and the linear circuitry has to shed too much heat to dissapate the extra voltage. They are designed to provide 5 volts to your power system, tapping power from your main battery.
Any more than a 3s, the bec works too hard to regulate your 5v output from 14v+ input...

Recommendation is that if you are going to use more than 3s in a bec with a linear regulator, then you pull the red wire from the receiver lead to disable the onboard BEC and use a separate bec.

Ok, now a switching or switchmode bec is much more efficient in design. Costs a bit more, but not really these days.

The switching regulator turns itself on and off many many times per second. It does this to regulate the amount of power it is drawing from your main battery pack, and doesn't use anymore than it needs, so they run cooler, and don't waste as much power as a linear bec.

Since they turn on and off thousands of times a second, or is it hundreds of times per second...you can these in higher power systems.

Now any more than 6s, you would be best suited to use an OPTO speedo, meaning one that does not have a built in BEC, and then use a separate switching bec powered by a 2s lipo.

Opinions vary here, some don't like using a separate power system incorporating an offboard bec and lipo, where they would just prefer to use a nicad or nimh pack plugged into the receiver.

I prefer a separate bec and 2s lipo for larger planes. Its my preference.
Old Feb 22, 2010, 05:52 PM
FICKLE FLYER
Joined Dec 2002
1,190 Posts
Thank you for that information. I have been planning a post to ask about Switching vs Linear. now I know.