HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 02, 2010, 10:43 AM
Gone Flying.
Western NY
Joined Nov 2006
2,401 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumbler View Post
I think it might be the way the pic was taken. I was actually worried the pinion was too high but the main gear is just above where the bottom of the pinion starts to taper so it seems to be ok. Here is a better pic.

Brian
Ah, I see now - there was a shadow on the pinion. The pinion might be a little too high, you don't really want the tapered portion of the pinion contacting the gear, it may screw up your gear mesh, but if your mesh seems ok you probably don't need to adjust anything.
ChrisWNY is offline Find More Posts by ChrisWNY
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 02, 2010, 11:13 AM
New Jersey
Joined Feb 2003
7,923 Posts
Yeah it was the angle of the pic I think. I just flew it and got it down to waist high inverted. It was 34 degrees and my hands were too cold to go any lower. Low inverted flight, flips, and rolls is about the extent of my 3d ability. Been working on piro flips on the sim...man that has my brain working over time! So now that it is flying well, hopefully I can have fun with it for a while. It's had its share of bugs but I am glad I got it and I am happy with it.

Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcnewb View Post
Ah, I see now - there was a shadow on the pinion. The pinion might be a little too high, you don't really want the tapered portion of the pinion contacting the gear, it may screw up your gear mesh, but if your mesh seems ok you probably don't need to adjust anything.
Tumbler is offline Find More Posts by Tumbler
Old Feb 02, 2010, 12:14 PM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,436 Posts
Tumbler, If I'm mistaken, there have been 2 other people complain of the black Hobbymate frying. Either on this thread or the EXI 500 thread. I have the red hobbymate but have not tried it yet (it's a spare). I have seen several others with red Hobbymates fly to sucess. We got ours from Dealextreme.

Did you blue-loctite those tail screws? all of them?
Melnic is offline Find More Posts by Melnic
Old Feb 02, 2010, 12:18 PM
New Jersey
Joined Feb 2003
7,923 Posts
Yeah I have heard a of someone havign a prob with the motor. I wasn't aware there was a difference between the 2 colors as far as quality. I think I will play it safe and just get somethign else.

I did take the whole taile case apart and loctite everything. Even so, I just looked it all over and a couple wiggled loose. I will have to add some more.

Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melnic View Post
Tumbler, If I'm mistaken, there have been 2 other people complain of the black Hobbymate frying. Either on this thread or the EXI 500 thread. I have the red hobbymate but have not tried it yet (it's a spare). I have seen several others with red Hobbymates fly to sucess. We got ours from Dealextreme.

Did you blue-loctite those tail screws? all of them?
Old Feb 02, 2010, 01:04 PM
Redjestird Youser
Joined Jan 2009
3,853 Posts
I dont remember if mine is black or red, but it is a RCFans88 sold version...took out my CCIce.
SidewaysLS4 is offline Find More Posts by SidewaysLS4
Old Feb 02, 2010, 01:05 PM
New Jersey
Joined Feb 2003
7,923 Posts
WOW, I have waaaaaay too much negative! I forgot to adjust the curves after I added the longer servo arms. I probabaly have 14-15 degrees now! You can see how touchy it is when it is inverted from the videos. It makes it very hard to hold a steady altitude. I will have to tweak it.

COUPLE SHORT VIDS

HK 500 Basic 3D 1 (0 min 39 sec)

HK 500 Basic 3D 2 (0 min 40 sec)

Brian
Old Feb 02, 2010, 02:56 PM
Minister of R/C
Fort Washington, MD
Joined Sep 2006
1,023 Posts
Tumbler...I'm impressed, from high speed jets to stationary helicopters. You the man.
HeliTB is offline Find More Posts by HeliTB
Old Feb 02, 2010, 03:10 PM
New Jersey
Joined Feb 2003
7,923 Posts
HAHA, thanks man. I had a .30 size heli about 8 years ago before I started jets.

I just flew it again after adjusting the pitch curves and it is way better. I just reduced the amount of negative around the 1/4 throttle position. It was like adding expo to the pitch control and is perfectly stable in an inverted hover now.

Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliTB View Post
Tumbler...I'm impressed, from high speed jets to stationary helicopters. You the man.
Old Feb 02, 2010, 03:12 PM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,436 Posts
Nice work Tumbler.
Melnic is offline Find More Posts by Melnic
Old Feb 02, 2010, 03:14 PM
New Jersey
Joined Feb 2003
7,923 Posts
Thanks brotha. Now if only I can get my girl to get me the 450 size for my bday. Its only a matter of time till these helis hit the dirt so you know we can't have just one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melnic View Post
Nice work Tumbler.
Old Feb 02, 2010, 04:33 PM
Joined Jan 2010
38 Posts
Does anyone know how well the governor works on a cc ice 75?
Paul5992 is offline Find More Posts by Paul5992
Old Feb 02, 2010, 05:13 PM
Martin - AKA mr.sneezy
Adelaide, Australia
Joined May 2004
1,667 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul5992 View Post
Does anyone know how well the governor works on a cc ice 75?
No not that one, but as some small help I can say the CC Phoenix 25 and 35 I've been using on 450's works very very well in gov mode. Setup is easy with the USB link dongle too, as is any firmware updates.
I bought a Phoenix 60 for my HK-500GT but not used it yet (or the heli).
Martin
PLMS is offline Find More Posts by PLMS
Old Feb 02, 2010, 05:21 PM
Gone Flying.
Western NY
Joined Nov 2006
2,401 Posts
CC ESC's probably have the best and most reliable governor mode for heli's, though on most electric heli setups a governor should not be necessary. Governor's play a more significant role in Nitro-powered heli's.

A brushless heli motor (inrunner or outrunner) will operate at its best efficiency at 100% throttle, so if you select the appropriate pinion size, battery, and motor Kv, you should be able to achieve optimal head speeds at 100% throttle while being able to tweak the throttle curve in your radio for optimal climb-outs at full negative/positive pitch.
Old Feb 02, 2010, 05:27 PM
Gone Flying.
Western NY
Joined Nov 2006
2,401 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumbler View Post
Yeah it was the angle of the pic I think. I just flew it and got it down to waist high inverted. It was 34 degrees and my hands were too cold to go any lower. Low inverted flight, flips, and rolls is about the extent of my 3d ability. Been working on piro flips on the sim...man that has my brain working over time! So now that it is flying well, hopefully I can have fun with it for a while. It's had its share of bugs but I am glad I got it and I am happy with it.

Brian
Your inverted flight looks nice and solid, I've only flown inverted a few times with the 500GT. Even though I'm solid on the sim, it's difficult to overcome the nerves whenever I flip the real deal, so I prefer to keep it tail-in and limit myself mainly to sport flying with some occasional loops and rolls. It's a great heli though, and it's even better to see your videos posted in the thread showing off what this bird is capable of doing on mainly stock parts using reasonably-priced electronics.
Old Feb 02, 2010, 05:37 PM
New Jersey
Joined Feb 2003
7,923 Posts
Thank you! I got it so its not so bouncy now after fixing the pitch curves. When flying anything I kinda have a no fear attitude which helps me learn things faster but need to repair a alot more too haha. I use the sim to get the muscle memory down so its instinctive but you are right, you still have to overcome wthe fear of doing it with the real thing. When learning anything new like nose in or inverted I just go ahead and do it but keep an out for myself. For nose in I am ready to punch the throttle if I am in trouble and full negative if I am inverted and get in trouble. I am working on nose in inverted now and no matter what happens, I know if I just remember to punch full neagative, then I have a chance to save it.

You are right, this thing can do pretty mch anything an intermediate pilot wants, usuing basic stuff. You can't go any cheaper than I did and it still does a lot of stuff. I ripped it around hard today in fast forward flight and really yanked it and she held together. I am upgrading to metal arms though.

Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcnewb View Post
Your inverted flight looks nice and solid, I've only flown inverted a few times with the 500GT. Even though I'm solid on the sim, it's difficult to overcome the nerves whenever I flip the real deal, so I prefer to keep it tail-in and limit myself mainly to sport flying with some occasional loops and rolls. It's a great heli though, and it's even better to see your videos posted in the thread showing off what this bird is capable of doing on mainly stock parts using reasonably-priced electronics.