HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 31, 2010, 08:39 AM
Bush Pilots Bounce Higher
USA, IL, Champaign
Joined Dec 2006
4,309 Posts
Spun mine up last night.
But I converted over to a Align Torque tube.
It is so smooth it is amazing.
Did not have the head on it yet. The 4 bladed head should be here Tuesday. But with the tail blade set up (2 for now a 4 bladed is coming Tuesday also) It just sat there and purred !
So far I have the 12t pinion on it with my new ICE75 and have it set at 1600-1800-2000. Will see what head speed I need to have good control and tail authority soon..
Spidious is offline Find More Posts by Spidious
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 31, 2010, 11:15 AM
Joined Jan 2010
67 Posts
This afternoon i went to test my hk 500gt.
I did not have any special problem assembling the kit.
Dx6 transmiter with default setting.
It was very easy to setup servos etc.
Everything on the heli is what hobbyking suggest (servo ,motor,gyro etc.)
I replaced tail blade holder with a metal one and tail servo (turnigy servo was out of order) with a align 520.
I hovered 2 batteries and then i tested all screws all over.
Three of them was little loose so i used glue for screws.
Then i flyied a little around.
It is perfect.
Tail is solid like a rock.Even with full throtle and full elevator no problem.
The power is too much (13 pinion and 2x 2200 20 c 3 cells)
First thougth was i should wait to order hk 600 or 700.
It was very easy to assemble and make a SAFE fly.
This is my second kit. I have a hk 250 and a blade 400 rft.
For sure with stock it is not ready for hard 3 d but many more people fly sport that 3d.

Anyway i would like to ask some questions.
A)How can i make the heli to have faster responce.
Tell me if these are ok. 1)full travel ajustment 125% 2)longer servo arm 3)- 40 expo
I know that some servos are slow but how can i get the best of them.
B)In dx6 how to i set the rudder end point and how can i have faster responce (tail servo is align 520)
C)Can i set in Ds possition the hobbyking gyro (futaba 401 copy) without desproy the tail servo?
D)I use 2 x 2200 20 c 3 cells and become more than warm
Must i use more c ?What is the larger battery,ies i can use in ampers ? 2x3 ,2 4,2x5 or 2x6 ?Total 22.2 volt .

In my next fly i will have more to write.

Thank you.
Markos
markos51 is offline Find More Posts by markos51
Last edited by markos51; Jan 31, 2010 at 01:40 PM.
Old Jan 31, 2010, 11:47 AM
New Jersey
Joined Feb 2003
7,904 Posts
longer servo arms and increased the swash mix to get more travel. That's how I did it. Mine will flip real tight now even stock and the TY 930 servos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markos51 View Post
This afternoon i went to test my hk 500gt.
I did not have any special problem assembling the kit.
Dx6 transmiter with default setting.
It was very easy to setup servos etc.
Everything on the heli is what hobbyking suggest (servo ,motor,gyro etc.)
I replaced tail blade holder with a metal one and tail servo (turnigy servo was out of order) with a align 520.
I hovered 2 batteries and then i tested all screws all over.
Three of them was little loose so i used glue for screws.
Then i flyied a little around.
It is perfect.
Tail is a rock.Even with full throtle and full elevator no problem.
The power is too much (13 pinion and 2x 2200 20 c 3 cells)
First thougth was i should wait to order hk 600 or 700.
It was very easy to assemble and make a SAFE fly.
This is my second kit. I have a hk 250 and a blade 400 rft.
For sure with stock it is not ready for hard 3 d but many more people fly sport that 3d.

Anyway i would like to ask some questions.
Tell me if these are ok. 1)full travel ajustment 125% 2)longer servo arm 3)- 40 expo
B)In dx6 how to i set the rudder end point and how can i have faster responce (tail servo is align 520)
C)Can i set in Ds possition the hobbyking gyro (futaba 401 copy) without desproy the tail servo?
Must i use more c ?What is the larger battery,ies i can use in ampers ? 2x3 ,2 4,2x5 or 2x6 ?Total 22.2 volt .

In my next fly i will have more to write.

Thank you.
Markos
Tumbler is offline Find More Posts by Tumbler
Old Jan 31, 2010, 01:27 PM
Joined Jan 2010
67 Posts
Tumbler thanks for help but what do you mean increase swash ?For example my swash is ail -60 elev -60 picth + 60
what must i do?
Old Jan 31, 2010, 01:42 PM
New Jersey
Joined Feb 2003
7,904 Posts
Go to the swash mix screen and hold full elevator or aileron and increase the swash mix to 65, 70, etc. until you have the travel adjustment you want. Its like travel adjustment in an airplane exceot with ccpm mixint, you can't just adjust the elevator through the elevator travel...you have to adjust it through swash mix so the other 2 servos will be adjusted accordingly.

Then add lots of expo to soften it around center. I am using around 50-60% expo on JR

and
Quote:
Tumbler thanks for help but what do you mean increase swash ?For example my swash is ail -60 elev -60 picth + 60
what must i do?
Old Jan 31, 2010, 04:41 PM
Lloyd Robinson
USA, MO, St Louis
Joined Jun 2007
777 Posts
Quote:
A) +1 on increasing swash settings. I would certainly see if I could get the desired response by doing that before moving balls out on servo arms, as the latter option will make it harder on your servos. Also try lighter paddles. If you have flybar weights, take them off. Increasing your headspeed will also help but it sounds like your current batteries can't handle it.

B) To get a faster piro rate increase your rudder ATV in the radio. Do this in both directions, left and right. This will not change the mechanical endpoints.

C) The DS520 is a digital servo, so yes.

D) If I were you I would get some 5s packs to decrease your current draw. This one looks good: http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=9263
Either that or get a lower kv motor, eg 1600 kv. A smaller pinion will also help.
fishboy77 is offline Find More Posts by fishboy77
Old Jan 31, 2010, 07:14 PM
Santee, CA
Joined Jul 2006
89 Posts
Big lean to the right?

Hi guys,

I maidened the HK500GT this afternoon. Dialed out the tail wag and hovered a bit. However, I notice the heli hovers with quite a right side lean. I know there usually is some, but this seems to be a lot. (5+ degrees?)

I used to have a JR Super Voyager (parts were too expensive) and it had very little lean at all. Flew sweet BTW.

Is this a set up problem, or do you all experience it?

Other than that, it held together fine. Nothing blew up!

I am using Turnigy 3000mah 6s, 1600 KV w/ 13t, stock blades (main & tail),

Thanks in advance for any replies

Mark
mlinder is offline Find More Posts by mlinder
Old Jan 31, 2010, 07:20 PM
Gone Flying.
Western NY
Joined Nov 2006
2,401 Posts
Mark -

Double-check your swash plate, make sure it's nice and level. A little bit of right lean is normal, this is mainly caused by the tail rotor being LOWER than the main rotor blades. The right lean should be able to be trimmed out while you're hovering.
ChrisWNY is offline Find More Posts by ChrisWNY
Old Jan 31, 2010, 07:23 PM
Santee, CA
Joined Jul 2006
89 Posts
Rcnewb,

Thanks for your reply.

I leans right, but maintains hover OK. It is not drifting to the right. This seems weird, huh?

Mark
Old Jan 31, 2010, 07:24 PM
Gone Flying.
Western NY
Joined Nov 2006
2,401 Posts
Quote:
what must i do?
The 60/60/60 is for 120-degree CCPM, ideally you don't want to set your aileron/elev/pitch beyond 60. If you find yourself needing to set those values > 65 for full travel on the swash, you need to make mechanical adjustments to the head, primarily the swash-to-servo linkages (lengthen them equally), then you will need to readjust your main blade linkages and flybar-to-swash linkages to set your pitch correctly at mid-throttle (neutral).
Old Jan 31, 2010, 07:26 PM
Gone Flying.
Western NY
Joined Nov 2006
2,401 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlinder View Post
Rcnewb,

Thanks for your reply.

I leans right, but maintains hover OK. It is not drifting to the right. This seems weird, huh?

Mark
Mark -

Does this happen when hovering in windy conditions? If so, that is definitely normal. If it's happening indoors (or in calm conditions), just make sure your swash is level throughout travel on the swash -- if your linkages aren't adjusted properly, you can get uneven movement on one side of the swash as you go from negative to positive pitch.
Old Jan 31, 2010, 07:31 PM
Santee, CA
Joined Jul 2006
89 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcnewb View Post
Mark -

Does this happen when hovering in windy conditions? If so, that is definitely normal. If it's happening indoors, just make sure your swash is level throughout travel on the swash, if your linkages aren't adjusted properly, you can get uneven movement on one side of the swash as you go from negative to positive pitch.
Thanks rcnewb,

I'll check it all out before heading to Germany Tuesday (brrrr). Attending the Nurnberg Toy Fair! My company machines carbon fiber/FRP parts for the hobby industry (that's how I got sucked into the heli mess to begin with), so I am off to visit some customers.

If I find some neat new stuff, I'll let you all know.

Mark
Old Jan 31, 2010, 11:48 PM
Joined Jan 2010
67 Posts
Dear Tumbler , Fishboy77 , Rcnewb.
Thank you very much for your help.
I did not know what exacly swach do.
Now i know that it increase travel.
So before it was AIL-60 ELE-60.
I did not move picth but ail and ele to -70 both.
In doors hover i can see great improvement.
I will test it out also.
Old Feb 01, 2010, 08:03 AM
New Jersey
Joined Feb 2003
7,904 Posts
No Prob. Yeah I had mine up to 90 to get it the way I wanted to fly and knew something was wrong, so then I lengthened the servo arms and could bring it back down to 70.

Brian

Quote:
Dear Tumbler , Fishboy77 , Rcnewb.
Thank you very much for your help.
I did not know what exacly swach do.
Now i know that it increase travel.
So before it was AIL-60 ELE-60.
I did not move picth but ail and ele to -70 both.
In doors hover i can see great improvement.
I will test it out also.
Old Feb 01, 2010, 10:33 AM
Joined Jan 2010
67 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcnewb View Post
The 60/60/60 is for 120-degree CCPM, ideally you don't want to set your aileron/elev/pitch beyond 60. If you find yourself needing to set those values > 65 for full travel on the swash, you need to make mechanical adjustments to the head, primarily the swash-to-servo linkages (lengthen them equally), then you will need to readjust your main blade linkages and flybar-to-swash linkages to set your pitch correctly at mid-throttle (neutral).
What i have done is pitch from 60 to 65 ail from 60 to 70 and elev from 60 to 70.I fly normal not idle so i think i do not need to ajust anything else.
The flyies perfect (till now)
About the battery .I know smaller motor or differenr pinion will decrease ampers but if i do not change them then battery must have more ampers or more c so do not get hot?
I think that ampers in a battery is for flying time .
If i am mistaken please someone anwer.
Thanks