HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 24, 2013, 07:49 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhills51 View Post
Has anyone checked out the Blade 500x?? I have and must say even the HK500 has no competition from that thing. The CF is paper thin. They used plastic were clearly aluminum was needed (So you can upgrade to the eflite aluminum parts no doubt) There was over a 1/8th play in the tail. I took my 500pro into the store. We looked them all over. Mine even felt lighter and just over all quality just was not there.
One frame I was impressed with was the Ely Q Competition. It uses CF sides with plastic frame pieces sandwiched between and hexagonal metal bolts through the plastic for the screws that hold the sides together.

I also found the flybar head interesting, it has no lower mixing arms. Instead the grips have long FBL type arms with a mixing arm attached to the end. One end of the arm goes to the flybar and the other goes directly to the swash below. The head can also be converted to FBL by removing the seesaw and replacing the mixing arms with a ball link.
Atomic Skull is offline Find More Posts by Atomic Skull
Last edited by Atomic Skull; Feb 25, 2013 at 05:58 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 24, 2013, 08:18 PM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
11,746 Posts
Yes the Ely Q uses the exact same head as the old Gazaur Mars 480. I had one and the problem it has is the flybar go's threw a large ball in a cage. That ball has to slide up and down the cage under force. Gazaur made a special lube just for it, but it only helps so much.
mhills51 is offline Find More Posts by mhills51
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 02, 2013, 11:22 AM
South London United Kingdom
Joined Jun 2003
1,096 Posts
Hi All

Got a puzzle I hope you can help me with.

Flying a 500GT. Started out on a 5s pack, and flew fine for a long time.
I decided to try it with a 6s pack, and then the fun started.
First of all, I had the whole tail unit turning on the boom, increased torque I presume.
Followed by all sorts of tail related issues, all now solved.
The model has not been crashed, but had some hard landings.
Anyway, tail is now ok, but the blade tracking has gone off the scale, and in the hover the whole machine is leaning to the right. Not just the blade disc but the whole body.
If I straighten it up, it moves to the left, as you would expect.
Got me stumped on both, any ideas?

Cheers

BL
Border Lord is offline Find More Posts by Border Lord
Old Mar 02, 2013, 11:40 AM
kings lynn, norfolk uk
Joined Sep 2007
597 Posts
i had tracking issues on mine to start with, i solved it by replacing the lower mixing arms to the metal version from align, as the stock ones were plastic and can flex. think several people in this thread had the same issue.
peter24 is offline Find More Posts by peter24
Old Mar 02, 2013, 12:06 PM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
11,746 Posts
Or a cheaper fix on the arms are the align plastic they don't flex. The HK's flex bad and will even go out of shape after a while. The lean sounds more like a weight issues.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 02, 2013, 01:06 PM
Joined Jun 2003
1,096 Posts
Hi all

Thanks for the thoughts.
Are the 'lower mixing arms' the ones attached to the washout block?
Never had any problem before, but could the increased headspeed be a factor?
Mhills
Not sure what weight issue it could be.
Only thing I have changed is to rotate the tail servo a little to get the rod straighter. Surely that can't be enough.
Ironically, I thought h/s might be an issue. The only reason I am trying it in its current setup is to get a ballpark figure for battery consumption, before I change to a 12t pinion.
Ho hum.

BL
Old Mar 02, 2013, 01:35 PM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
11,746 Posts
It's the washout control arms that warped on there own on my HK500 http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ut-Control-Arm

I know a lot of people like to put the speedcontrol under the battery, but I like putting it on the right side. This tends to balance better with the elevator and tail servos both hanging off the left.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 02, 2013, 01:52 PM
Joined Jun 2003
1,096 Posts
Hi mhills

Looking at these

http://www.helisfromdevon.co.uk/hfdc...product_id=243

Got 500 bits from them before, seem good quality, plus free shipping and UK based so couple of days delivery.

Going out tomorrow with the old 5s pack, will see if it's h/s related.

Weight

Elevator servo - lhs
esc + tail servo - rhs

What puzzles me is nothing has changed, apart from the battery, since I last flew it.

The story continues

BL
Old Mar 02, 2013, 02:28 PM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
11,746 Posts
Problem with those and every clone metal ones comes to play between the bearings and the arms and on these a tad amount of play is too much. That is why after purchasing about everyone's metal mixing arms and then getting the align 500e kit. I would go with the align plastic.

This may sound dumb, but is your canopy tweaked and it just looks like the thing is flying sideways?
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 02, 2013, 09:43 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,022 Posts
I use a 3cm wide strip of typing paper smeared in wood glue (yes wood glue, it works) and wrapped three quarters of the way around the boom so the slot remains exposed to stop it from moving. You can use a heat gun to cure it fast so there's no waiting. It's also easy to remove if you get it on something by mistake. The edges of the slot need to be bent up with needle nose pliers about 0.3 mm to properly engage the key in the boom holder with this method.

Note also that it is normal for a flybarred helicopter to lean left (slightly) and drift left (slightly) at hover because of the tail rotor pushing against torque. (FBL units will compensate for lean, they still drift left however)
Old Mar 02, 2013, 10:04 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Border Lord View Post
Hi mhills

Looking at these

http://www.helisfromdevon.co.uk/hfdc...product_id=243

Got 500 bits from them before, seem good quality, plus free shipping and UK based so couple of days delivery.
Gootch RC stuff is said to be good quality. They make a couple original design kits in addition to the clone stuff.

Helio 500 and Helios 500. The bottom one is meant for precision flying rather than 3D according to the product page (note the triple bearing supported mainshaft)

Clubheli was going to become a US distributor for Gootch and even had the Helios V3 for a while but nothing ever came of it. The "Black King" 450 tail they make is still pretty much the best belt drive tail available on a Trex 450. It's actually from the Helios V3, which is basically an improved 450 SE V2 frame but with a tail belt pulley on the main gear and various other improvements. (most of the parts are aren't compatible with Align)

Last edited by Atomic Skull; Mar 02, 2013 at 10:15 PM.
Old Mar 02, 2013, 10:21 PM
Pa.
Joined Mar 2009
837 Posts
all the aluminum on the tail and and still no cwm tail blade grips what a shame
dude7422 is offline Find More Posts by dude7422
Old Mar 02, 2013, 10:26 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,022 Posts
I like Gootch's 500 belt tailcase.

Last edited by Atomic Skull; Mar 03, 2013 at 12:28 AM.
Old Mar 02, 2013, 10:50 PM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
11,746 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude7422 View Post
all the aluminum on the tail and and still no cwm tail blade grips what a shame
You really won't find the cwm on any helicopters over 500.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 09, 2013, 03:19 PM
Joined Jun 2003
1,096 Posts
mhills

Many thanks for your help. Following your advice I have fitted Align plastic washout arms.
Weather has prevented a proper test, but a quick up/down in the car park looks promising. Tracking still out a little, but nowhere near as excessive and easily adjusted.
Still puzzled about one thing, perhaps I could pick your brains a little more?
Before I fitted the new arms, I went out for a quick test with the old 5s batteries. Result, good as gold.
Fitted the 6s and had all sorts of problems. At one stage I heard a sound like an outboard motor. My guess is that one of the blades was so far out it was stalling.
Needless to say, I cut that session short.
I am using a 1700Kv motor, 13t pinion and a flat 70% throttle curve.
Readyheli calculator says h/s on the 5s pack is 1875, and on 6s is 2250.
Both of these sound to me to be on the low side anyway, but only 400 rpm apart. I find it difficult to imagine this small change making such a big difference to the model.
Any thoughts?
Can't help thinking there is another problem somewhere. Your advice on the arms was spot on. Any ideas what else could be causing me problems?

Cheers

BL