HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 16, 2013, 02:20 PM
Work sucks....im going flying
UK, Worcestershire, Worcester
Joined Aug 2003
221 Posts
I agree with mhills, I run my genuine Align with 1600kv on the smaller pinion on 6s and its fine with easily 8 min flights on 3000mah, my HK500 is on 5s with 1800kv motor on the 13t pinion but with 3300mah 5s and that's great too, in fact the HK seems to have a slightly higher head speed and is a bit more stable.
Still to this day I prefer the HK500 to fly, I've just converted my genuine align to flybarless and I'm a little disappointed with it. There is something about mechanical stability when just flying around the field (not 3d) that I like. The flybarless is not so forgiving. I've given up with governor mode also as I've got the throttle and pitch curves now spot on without it. The best thing I ever bought for my HK500 was a castle creations ESC which I think knocks spots off the Align ESC and everything else I have tried.
The way I tell which is very crude but works for me is if the helicopter needs more than about 5 degrees of pitch to hover, then it needs more head speed.
mart1971 is offline Find More Posts by mart1971
Last edited by mart1971; Feb 16, 2013 at 02:28 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 16, 2013, 02:29 PM
South London United Kingdom
Joined Jun 2003
1,096 Posts
Thanks mhills
Thought you might be first up to help.
12t pinion duly ordered. Will let you know how it goes
Thanks again
BL
Border Lord is offline Find More Posts by Border Lord
Old Feb 16, 2013, 04:48 PM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Nov 2010
2,266 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Border Lord View Post
Hi All

Got a question for you.
I have a 500GT. standard gears, Hobbymate 1700 Kv motor and 13t pinion.
Originally built and flown on a 5s pack. I now am trying out 6s.
Looking for smooth gentle flying ( I am a noob) and I find the 6s pack a little frantic.
I have dropped the throttle curve down to 70% and it's fine, however I hear that the esc is more efficient at higher settings.
Is it worth dropping to a 12t, and bumping up the throttle curve?
Your thoughts, please
Cheers
BL
Dual rates and expo are your friend..Don't hesistate to use them to tame an agile heli.
ridge_racer is offline Find More Posts by ridge_racer
Old Feb 16, 2013, 05:30 PM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,775 Posts
Had my first HK28013DMG Mi servo fail in my 500EFL Pro. Unfortunately I was low and inverted at the time. Went to punch out with negative and before I knew it the heli was on the ground. The usual power on crash damage.

If I power up the servo it works fine. If I load the servo it just stops moving, and the servo then feels like it has no power, except for the odd stutter.

I'd ordered some HK-752MG's to fit in this heli. A pity it failed before they arrived.
beenflying is offline Find More Posts by beenflying
Old Feb 16, 2013, 06:36 PM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Nov 2010
2,266 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenflying View Post
Had my first HK28013DMG Mi servo fail in my 500EFL Pro. Unfortunately I was low and inverted at the time. Went to punch out with negative and before I knew it the heli was on the ground. The usual power on crash damage.

If I power up the servo it works fine. If I load the servo it just stops moving, and the servo then feels like it has no power, except for the odd stutter.

I'd ordered some HK-752MG's to fit in this heli. A pity it failed before they arrived.
Sorry to hear BF....I recalled that you bench in those servo for a while prior to installing them. Shame one failed.
ridge_racer is offline Find More Posts by ridge_racer
Old Feb 16, 2013, 08:30 PM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
11,761 Posts
I have been very weary of those. They are used a lot for car sensors not because of wear, but for the extreme temperatures and moisture they can handle. Yet that is the part of the sensor that fails. Something about a magnet rotating over a chip would seem much cheaper to make than a pot. So it can't be a money thing. More of a gimmick. I will stick to the pots lol!
mhills51 is online now Find More Posts by mhills51
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 16, 2013, 10:26 PM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,775 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridge_racer View Post
Sorry to hear BF....I recalled that you bench in those servo for a while prior to installing them. Shame one failed.
Thanks. Yes, they were. Looks like I need to test the load handling ability, as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhills51 View Post
I have been very weary of those. They are used a lot for car sensors not because of wear, but for the extreme temperatures and moisture they can handle. Yet that is the part of the sensor that fails. Something about a magnet rotating over a chip would seem much cheaper to make than a pot. So it can't be a money thing. More of a gimmick. I will stick to the pots lol!
In this case I'd be surprise if it was the Mi position sensor faulty. More likely the motor or the motor drive circuit. It's like the motor over current circuit kicks in but doesn't return the power again when the load disappears.
beenflying is offline Find More Posts by beenflying
Old Feb 17, 2013, 03:08 AM
Joined Dec 2011
3,024 Posts
Even the odd Futaba and JR servo fails once in a while. A helicopter is just a brutally harsh enviroment for electronics.
Atomic Skull is online now Find More Posts by Atomic Skull
Old Feb 18, 2013, 04:12 PM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Sep 2012
15 Posts
hey guy just wondering if the align 500 Pro Tail Rotor Hub will fit the hk500gt with hk tail grips or do i need the whole thing
leeve is offline Find More Posts by leeve
Old Feb 18, 2013, 08:16 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,024 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leeve View Post
hey guy just wondering if the align 500 Pro Tail Rotor Hub will fit the hk500gt with hk tail grips or do i need the whole thing
You need the pro grips. Align has actually discontinued the old ESP style grips and the Pro grips and hub is the replacement.

I tried out the 1300kv H3126 I've had laying around for a while and I like it better than the SK3 Helidrive motor. Power doesn't seem any different but the helicopter feels smoother in fast forward flight somehow and the tail is better behaved in hard climbs. This is actually an OEM Suppo motor with red anodizing instead of gold.

There are also 1600kv and 2200kv versions.

Seems be be made out of better quality aluminum than the SK3 as well. It does vibrate slightly more than the SK3 did but the difference hardly noticeable. Unlike the SK3 it does get warm (not hot, just warm), and the centrifugal fan moves a lot more air. The fan also is much louder than the SK3's fan, it seems to have an effect similar to the chopper in an air siren. It seems slightly more efficient than the SK3 as well. The SK3 used an 11x5mm bearing on top and 2 stacked 8x2.5mm bearings on the bottom, the H3126 uses a 14x5mm bearing on top and an 11x5mm bearing on the bottom.

I get 2400rpm at 90% throttle governed but I'm going to try a 15t or 16t pinion for move governor overhead.
Last edited by Atomic Skull; Feb 18, 2013 at 08:21 PM.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 09:24 PM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
11,761 Posts
What no links to tarot or others for the hub? I think you are going to the republic side. Dam those jeti's
mhills51 is online now Find More Posts by mhills51
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 19, 2013, 04:21 AM
Joined Dec 2011
3,024 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhills51 View Post
What no links to tarot or others for the hub? I think you are going to the republic side. Dam those jeti's
Tarot started overcharging for them once Align stopped making them. The Align Pro hubs actually cost less than the Tarot ESP hubs now. It's cheaper in the long run to just buy the Pro grips for $26.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 10:00 AM
Joined Jun 2003
1,096 Posts
Hi All

Got a 500GT, with an ordinary Align tail hub and holders. Having some trouble with it, so would it be worth while switching to a thrust race unit?
What are the advantages?
I'm thinking one of these
http://www.hawk-rc.com/index.php?rou...product_id=258
Any thoughts.
Cheers
BL
Old Feb 19, 2013, 01:22 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,024 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Border Lord View Post
Hi All

Got a 500GT, with an ordinary Align tail hub and holders. Having some trouble with it, so would it be worth while switching to a thrust race unit?
What are the advantages?
I'm thinking one of these
http://www.hawk-rc.com/index.php?rou...product_id=258
Any thoughts.
Cheers
BL
Woah I thought they started putting thrust bearings in the tail on the HK500's a long time ago.

For $10 more you can get the 500 Pro grips which have 2 radial bearings and a thrust bearing instead of 1 radial bearing and 1 thrust bearing.

Without a thrust bearing the tail grips will lock up at high RPM. Also the radial bearings will last longer and you tail servo will have an easier time moving the tail.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 01:56 PM
Joined Jun 2003
1,096 Posts
Hi AS

Thanks for the thought.
Must admit it's been so long since I built it, I couldn't remember myself.
Anyway, bit the bullet, pulled it down, and you're right. One radial and one thrust.
So, the choice is between plastic grips with one of each, or metal grips with one thrust and two radial.
Sounds like the Pro would be better, what do you think?

Cheers

BL