SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 13, 2013, 04:29 PM
Just fly
Australia, VIC, Glen Waverley
Joined Jan 2011
2,103 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Skull View Post
If you go this route get the Pro type grips with two radial bearings. The original ESP grips have been discontinued and Align no longer sells the hubs. Tarot still makes the old style hub but one costs almost as much as two of the new Pro hubs from Align.
Are you saying that the following Align parts have been discontinued?
H50140 Tail Rotor Hub
H50082 Metal Tail Pitch Assembly
H50119-00 Metal Tail Rotor Holder/Black
evltoy is offline Find More Posts by evltoy
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 13, 2013, 09:24 PM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,661 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejavu*Xion View Post
Taking a piece of paper and wrapping it around motor I get an O.D of 140mm.
Know this hobby is all about mods and thinking outside the box. But ya sure ya wanna put it in a 500 ? Its a heavy motor. I would think one would have to go with some lite 5s or 6s 2600mah batteries to help compensate for the weight of motor.
As far as 6mm pinion gear mesh on a 500 main gear, I checked and the pinion is just a tad to large for a good solid mesh.
So you would have to track down some 6mm pinions to fit a 500 main gear. ( they do exist. I just accidentally bought a 6mm 15 tooth slant gear ) But overall. Yes i believe the motor to fit into a 500 frame. ( barely ) It would all be very interesting to see i admit. However I'm not to be the Guinea pig on such a mod. lol
Having second thoughts on the motor ? if so thats kool. Not like $30 is going to pay off my house.
to be honest, after reading so many stories of shaft failure i would not trust this motor in one of my 600's. The 500 being more compact and smaller blade diameter should put less stress on the shaft. I know alot of guys think, light is good for 3D, but its all about power to weight ratio. I happen to like heavy birds, it makes them more stable in the wind. Thats why i'm thinking 600 power train in a 500. I have this 500 cmt sitting here, so i might as well give it a try. I would also like standard sized servos, but that would require a new frame.

I have a slant gear for my 500tt, so maybe the slant 6mm gear you got may work. The slant gears are supposed to take some stress off the motor shaft as well, right? Or do i have that backwards...
kdean is online now Find More Posts by kdean
Old Jan 13, 2013, 10:11 PM
Need More PURPLE !!
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Aug 2012
3,670 Posts
I'm confussed, Would you like this 600Xl ? If not, No big deal. I can relist it on E-bay with a simple mouse click.
If you would like me to ship it to you. I can only vouch that the motor is in good working order. How it will perform in a 500 is out of my hands And sounds like an experment that should be interesting.
As far as slant gears taking some stress off the motor shaft . I have no idea All i know is that slant gears do run quieter. I have also come accross some more items I wont be using I will send along at no charge. i.e.. Align 600 c.f flybar paddle,, c.f and metal 600anti rotation bracket,, 600c.f tail servo holder and metal rudder servo mounts..and a slu of 6mm pinions. ( one a slant 15 ) $30 for the motor and $10 to ship .
Dejavu*Xion is offline Find More Posts by Dejavu*Xion
Last edited by Dejavu*Xion; Jan 13, 2013 at 10:50 PM.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 10:20 PM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2007
4,497 Posts
Just buy the motor already kdean! It is worth $30++ shipped with the extras.
eagle777 is offline Find More Posts by eagle777
Old Jan 13, 2013, 10:35 PM
Need More PURPLE !!
Joined Aug 2012
3,670 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle777 View Post
Just buy the motor already kdean! It is worth $30++ shipped with the extras.
+ 1 ...I know right, This is a crazy good deal. The pinions alone cost me $25.. ( I'm just hacking on ya Kdean ) Honestly this motor was very very good to me for nearly 3 years. Keep in mind the first two years i did nothing more then sport fly it..Was not until the past 6 months i finally did some loops and inverts on my 600 pig, And the shaft did great the whole time. Like i said earlier yes it does get alot warmer compared to say the align 600mx. Last thing i am is a car salesman, I'm basically only charging $40 because i have to stand in that god awful postal line behind un-clean people. ( call me Sheldon ) If you were here in person i would hand it all over free to a fellow hobbyist And give you a cold bud light.

** ok now i sound like a car salesman ** lol
Old Jan 13, 2013, 10:40 PM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,661 Posts
Yes, i'm gunna buy it....

Dont mind me thinking out loud about whats gunna happen to it once it gets in my hands.

Sorry if there is any confusion.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 10:47 PM
Need More PURPLE !!
Joined Aug 2012
3,670 Posts
Was all in good fun..Thats how we dogs roll in the hk-500 thread !! ( its an anything goes thread ) Off topic: I'm still pissed seattle seahawks lost today. If only pete carrol would not have called time out to try and ice the falcons kicker, Seattle would have won.......Are you a seahawks fan Dave ??
Old Jan 13, 2013, 10:52 PM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2007
4,497 Posts
Sorry!
eagle777 is offline Find More Posts by eagle777
Last edited by eagle777; Jan 14, 2013 at 11:58 AM.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 10:55 PM
Just fly
Australia, VIC, Glen Waverley
Joined Jan 2011
2,103 Posts
Sorry too

Just do it kdean... you know you want to.
evltoy is offline Find More Posts by evltoy
Old Jan 14, 2013, 12:12 AM
Need More PURPLE !!
Joined Aug 2012
3,670 Posts
Whoa...what's up with the word trickery in here..ha

Dean..last month I did try and put an align Ds650 tail servo on a 500 tail..with the 600 tail servo holder I just could not make it work..no matter the position.

I do like the thought of putting 600 electronics into a 500 frame. It just seems to be a whole lotta modding.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 09:08 AM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,661 Posts
With the 600 motor and 3000mah 6s up front, i might need to put a bigger servo on the back for cg.

I picked up your package today, and thanks for everything. Have not had a chance to go through everything yet but looks like alot of good stuff that i can put to use.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 02:58 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,194 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by evltoy View Post
Are you saying that the following Align parts have been discontinued?
H50140 Tail Rotor Hub
H50082 Metal Tail Pitch Assembly
H50119-00 Metal Tail Rotor Holder/Black
The old style metal ESP grips with one radial bearing and one thrust bearing as well as the hub that goes with it has been discontinued. The new Pro type grips and hub are their replacements.

The ESP pitch slider is still being made as far as I know. This is probably because the Pro slider is incompatible with the ESP bell crank and also the plastic links are slightly shorter on the Pro slider and when combined with the slightly shorter pitch control arms on the Pro grips and the longer throw of the pitch slider on an ESP belt tailcase it makes it possible for the links to lock backwards and crash the helicopter. You can upgrade to the new Pro style bell crank and slider on a belt tail if you take the plastic links from the ESP slider and move them over to the Pro slider. With these it's no longer possible for the links to lock.

Noticed the helicopter making an odd "pulsing" sound yesterday so I checked it over and found that the pinion was wobbling slightly and there was rust on the top and bottom of the hole as well as on the shaft. Pulled the whole motor and it seems like the rust was from the pinion not the shaft. I don't see how the hole could have expanded like that, it was tight when I put it on. This was a steel Rhino pinion from Helidirect. The set screw appeared tight, it's just that the hole no longer fit the shaft perfectly and allowed a slight amount of play between the shaft and the pinion so it rested slightly off center.
Atomic Skull is offline Find More Posts by Atomic Skull
Last edited by Atomic Skull; Jan 14, 2013 at 03:13 PM.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 04:39 PM
If I build it, it will fly
United States, NY, East Rochester
Joined Jan 2012
710 Posts
If it was a steel pinion, and rusty, the slop is likely (at last in part) due to the material that turned to rust.

~psguardian
psguardian is offline Find More Posts by psguardian
Old Jan 14, 2013, 09:38 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,194 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by psguardian View Post
If it was a steel pinion, and rusty, the slop is likely (at last in part) due to the material that turned to rust.

~psguardian
It only had a slight amount of rust at the ends.
Atomic Skull is offline Find More Posts by Atomic Skull
Old Jan 15, 2013, 06:06 PM
Need More PURPLE !!
Joined Aug 2012
3,670 Posts
Need some opinions from you guys...So on my 450 , for what ever reason while in a hover the heli will all of a sudden jump about 5 feet in the air...Why does it do this ??
At one time this was a tarot 450..Its all pretty much align now..Last thing on it is the tarot fb head. Im thinking it has something to do with the head. Ever seen a heli just all of a sudden lift about 5-6 feet in the air for no reason ? ( this is a new one for me. ) if so...Know the fix ?? All i know to do is replace the whole head.
Last edited by Dejavu*Xion; Jan 15, 2013 at 06:14 PM.