mhills51 is online now Find More Posts by mhills51
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 12, 2013, 05:31 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhills51 View Post
Nope none in mine and none in the parts chart or in the assemble instructions. Had me worried for about half a second sense I have replaced mine once. They have two! what would be nice is to do away with the thrust and just add Angular contact bearings
Radial bearings are regular axial load bearings.

Angular contact bearings are a jack of all trades and master of none. They don't handle loads as well as radial or thrust bearings. The only advantage is that they can handle both in one bearing. They're also a lot more expensive.
Atomic Skull is offline Find More Posts by Atomic Skull
Old Jan 12, 2013, 05:38 PM
Smoke em ' If ya got em
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Aug 2012
3,381 Posts
Quote:
I have a spare CC ice 100

Thats the first generation cc ice yes ?? This plane actually only requires 45..But I'll be using 4s battery's. So a 60esc will be more then plenty..Without going into detail you know how i feel about cc-Ice.
Then again ya wanna trade for an align 600xl 1600kv I cant seem to ditch. lol ( 5-6 pinions included ) C'mon buddy ol pal . I'll even throw in a free toaster mitt.
Dejavu*Xion is offline Find More Posts by Dejavu*Xion
Old Jan 12, 2013, 05:55 PM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
11,755 Posts
The toaster mitt sounds nice, but if I have to take the 600xl never mine. I just can't fit that into my collection........
mhills51 is online now Find More Posts by mhills51
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 12, 2013, 06:08 PM
Smoke em ' If ya got em
Joined Aug 2012
3,381 Posts
Quote:
The toaster mitt sounds nice, but if I have to take the 600xl never mine. I just can't fit that into my collection........
Lol...I hear ya bro....this has got to be one of the most unpopular motors ever..ha.....seriously I have reposted it on eBay now 3 times and still nothing.. its like having the 1st brick phones from the 80s..
Old Jan 12, 2013, 08:42 PM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2007
4,497 Posts
So I have a funny story about not spending any more money on helis for 3 months starting 12 days ago with a ZYX 450 heli and HS-65MGs.

The DS415Ms were open box half price ($12)!
eagle777 is offline Find More Posts by eagle777
Old Jan 12, 2013, 08:48 PM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,593 Posts
What is the problem with that motor? I was considering getting it off your hands, now that i'm building another 600 project. The 1600kv sounds really nice for high head speeds w/o over gearing, but maybe it does not have the power that lower kv motors might offer..?? I'll do some google'n and if i cant find a reason not to use it, i'll take it as a backup to my scorpion.
kdean is offline Find More Posts by kdean
Old Jan 12, 2013, 09:27 PM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,593 Posts
From what i've read, it seems that guys trying to run those motors in 600 sized heli suffer from overheating, and shaft failure. But thats guys who wanna do tic tocs for 4 mins non stop. It should be good for sport flying and in the slightly smaller 550 helis. I even saw some guys running them in 'truggies' (?) so you may want to try a post in that section of the classifieds.

I might even try it in my 500cmt. Will it fit in a 500 frame?
Old Jan 12, 2013, 09:27 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle777 View Post
So I have a funny story about not spending any more money on helis for 3 months starting 12 days ago with a ZYX 450 heli and HS-65MGs.

The DS415Ms were open box half price ($12)!
One thing I missed on the Sport vs the SEv2 is the electronics tray under the battery.
Atomic Skull is offline Find More Posts by Atomic Skull
Old Jan 12, 2013, 10:29 PM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2007
4,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdean View Post

Do you have a dremel tool? I looked into it some months ago.
eagle777 is offline Find More Posts by eagle777
Old Jan 12, 2013, 10:54 PM
Smoke em ' If ya got em
Joined Aug 2012
3,381 Posts
Quote:
From what i've read, it seems that guys trying to run those motors in 600 sized heli suffer from overheating, and shaft failure. But thats guys who wanna do tic tocs for 4 mins non stop. It should be good for sport flying and in the slightly smaller 550 helis. I even saw some guys running them in 'truggies' (?) so you may want to try a post in that section of the classifieds.

Nothing is wrong with the motor at all...I'm the original owner..I never really flew my 600 that often..I figure once a week..times 3 years at a 5 min flight..( you do the math) ...its does get warmer say compared to the 600mx...but nothing to cook an egg on..I just no longer have a use for it and dont think I ever will. So if interested let me know and I will take it off of eBay..yours for 30 bucks and a bunch of pinions to go with...
On my 600 I ran it with a 12 tooth..don't go over 12. It does run fast. As far as fitting in a 500..Iooks to be a tight fit..did you get the other package I sent to you yet ?
Old Jan 12, 2013, 11:29 PM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,593 Posts
If i have to remove a little cf around the motor mount, thats not a problem. But too much in certain areas might make it to weak. How much frame would i have to dremel?

What is the OD of that motor? Is it similar to a typhoon 600h?

I have not picked up the other package you sent yet. I'll get it by the end of the week hopefully. While classified shopping for the front tt section for the 600, i came across a partial esp frame that included the tt tail boom case. That means another project is in the works. But i was wondering about putting a 600 sized motor in a 500 for a while now, and the kv of the xl motor is perfect for the 500 gearing. Worst case is it eats up a set of gears, and becomes a backup motor for my other project. Is it a 5mm or 6mm shaft?

I'll send the $30 when i refill my heli account.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 12:57 AM
Smoke em ' If ya got em
Joined Aug 2012
3,381 Posts
I'll take it off eBay and hold the motor for you..pay whenever..no rush....its a 6mm shaft..I'll send a bunch of pinions along with..I'll pm u the other info..
Old Jan 13, 2013, 01:32 AM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,593 Posts
Is the gear mod on the 500 the same as the 600? Or, will i need to find 6mm 500 pinions?
Old Jan 13, 2013, 01:11 PM
Smoke em ' If ya got em
Joined Aug 2012
3,381 Posts
Quote:
Is the gear mod on the 500 the same as the 600? Or, will i need to find 6mm 500 pinions?
Taking a piece of paper and wrapping it around motor I get an O.D of 140mm.
Know this hobby is all about mods and thinking outside the box. But ya sure ya wanna put it in a 500 ? Its a heavy motor. I would think one would have to go with some lite 5s or 6s 2600mah batteries to help compensate for the weight of motor.
As far as 6mm pinion gear mesh on a 500 main gear, I checked and the pinion is just a tad to large for a good solid mesh.
So you would have to track down some 6mm pinions to fit a 500 main gear. ( they do exist. I just accidentally bought a 6mm 15 tooth slant gear ) But overall. Yes i believe the motor to fit into a 500 frame. ( barely ) It would all be very interesting to see i admit. However I'm not to be the Guinea pig on such a mod. lol
Having second thoughts on the motor ? if so thats kool. Not like $30 is going to pay off my house.
Last edited by Dejavu*Xion; Jan 13, 2013 at 01:18 PM.