HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 01, 2013, 08:30 AM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,694 Posts
Gotek & HK15158A

I experienced the same loss of rudder described by ridge_racer, which I suspect might be due to overheating. I've done about 50 flights with a Gotek 9257 in my 450 - but I've really had to nurse it, measuring its temperature after every flight! It seems very sensitive to gain, and will rapidly overheat above a threshold value - in my case around 32% on the CX 3x1000. It's been OK since then, running at 100f to 130f depending on ambient temperature. I've been running it mostly at 5v at 333Hz, though with another ESC it was at 6v.

Having rebuilt the 450 after my last crash, I now have an HK15158A on the tail at 6v and 333Hz. On the servo tester (CX program box set to 100% speed), the 15158A will rapidly warm up, just like the Gotek, but in the heli, it stays cool, and I've been able to increase the gain to 37%. The 15158A is cheaper than the Gotek, being only around $7, and HK seem to stock it in several warehouses. I buy them two at a time, and my latest two even have less gear backlash than the first two, comparable to the Gotek.

The big enemy of tail servos is binding, and some are more resistant to overheating than others - so fragile servos such as the Gotek are likely to fail quite often.

I was just thinking about posts in which people claim that it's not possible to have a decent servo for under $20 or whatever. Yet consider the DVD burner. when they were introduced, they cost way North of $100, yet you can now buy a 16x DVD burner for just $17, that is superior in every way to those original ones. It's an incredible value considering the mechanical complexity of an optical drive. So the potential for good quality at low prices is there, if products can be sold in sufficient volume.

Happy New Year y'all! @Paul - I see the Daily Mail shows all the ER's in the UK were predictably filled with drunks!
2Doggs is online now Find More Posts by 2Doggs
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nano Tech 1800mah 4S 25-50c
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 01, 2013, 08:32 AM
Looptastic!
Enschede, Netherlands
Joined Nov 2009
2,272 Posts
Worn pulley

sorry, wrong topic
sp00fman is offline Find More Posts by sp00fman
Last edited by sp00fman; Jan 01, 2013 at 08:37 AM.
Old Jan 01, 2013, 08:53 AM
Mildly Confused
UK
Joined Oct 2008
1,394 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Doggs View Post

Happy New Year y'all! @Paul - I see the Daily Mail shows all the ER's in the UK were predictably filled with drunks!
Hardly surprising with some of the pond life over here bud, you'll no doubt have witnessed it first hand on your travels here. Hope you had a good one!

Interesting to note your Goteck is still alive given our earlier discussions, you must have been very careful with it.
Paul 1968 is offline Find More Posts by Paul 1968
Old Jan 01, 2013, 02:14 PM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Nov 2010
2,325 Posts
I think Goteck had some false advertising involve....ie I don't think it was a digital servo...
ridge_racer is online now Find More Posts by ridge_racer
Old Jan 01, 2013, 02:48 PM
edf flyer
United States, CA, Marina
Joined Feb 2009
1,162 Posts
Thanks for the help. Ill go with the align servo.
Mannyman535 is online now Find More Posts by Mannyman535
Old Jan 01, 2013, 07:30 PM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2007
4,497 Posts
2013 HK500 thread first crash post!

Happy new year! At least it was sunny today, not much wind. I feel closer to the earth for some reason. Probably because of the Mayans.
Something to be said about soft mud and not much airframe damage
eagle777 is offline Find More Posts by eagle777
Old Jan 01, 2013, 07:37 PM
Need More PURPLE !!
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Aug 2012
3,679 Posts
Doh.....What was the cause ?
Dejavu*Xion is offline Find More Posts by Dejavu*Xion
Old Jan 01, 2013, 07:51 PM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2007
4,497 Posts
There was a lot of people there today, I flew with people flying T-28, EZ*, dodgy 3D pilots out for the first time in a while, and a paraglider dude w/wife and progeny 500' away with zero wind just standing there in the middle of a flat field, and 20 spectators for the first time in a while with the weather. I had just rebuilt it, and flew it once with the 13T, and reprogrammed the CC with less gain to fly it one more time, but just got too distracted after a loop that was supposed to end 5 feet above the ground.
Damage not bad at all.

The sun brings everyone out here, even if it's 40F.
Old Jan 01, 2013, 10:08 PM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2007
4,497 Posts
That said, I did dust off a couple cool planes from last year this weekend. They go 100mph! The 6S Quickie is about 120 and turns on a dime, but no one at the field likes that stuff
The 3S Midget Mustang is about 90+ mph & a hoot and the kids go OH MY GOD It whistles around. A friend modded the Mustang for 4S, and it was pretty fast, constant whistle.
Old Jan 01, 2013, 10:27 PM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2007
4,497 Posts
I was going to go all in for pylon racing, then 3D, but helis distracted me for a couple years, and I just have a couple toys from that era. I just have one crummy 4S HK 3D plane left.
Old Jan 01, 2013, 11:08 PM
Need More PURPLE !!
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Aug 2012
3,679 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle777 View Post
I was going to go all in for pylon racing, then 3D, but helis distracted me for a couple years, and I just have a couple toys from that era. I just have one crummy 4S HK 3D plane left.
That one i like.. whats crummy about it ?
Dejavu*Xion is offline Find More Posts by Dejavu*Xion
Old Jan 01, 2013, 11:13 PM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2007
4,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejavu*Xion View Post
That one i like.. whats crummy about it ?
It's heavy w/wing rock. Which is why I put the on the Velox SFG. 3DHS works magic actually with shipped models. See http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1734050
Old Jan 01, 2013, 11:22 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,228 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul 1968 View Post
Kind of answered your question mate. Bin the Goteck, they're crap as has been documented here before. I had one fail some time ago as have several others. It's really not worth risking your model by fitting these junk servos. There are much better tail servos available for not a lot of money, my 500's are currently all using Align DS520's.
I've been using one of the relabeled Blue Arrow Mi servos for the rudder.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...0_04_61g_.html

There's also an HV version for about five bucks more that's even faster.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._0_03_61g.html

It's ridiculously fast, doesn't get even slightly warm, it has no pot to wear out and it still has almost no gear slop after 3 or 4 months of use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Doggs
I was just thinking about posts in which people claim that it's not possible to have a decent servo for under $20 or whatever.
The Henge servos are supposed to be decent. HK has relabeled versions for about half what they sell for from US vendors.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...3kg_0_11s.html
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...5kg_0_07s.html

Corona servos have good electronics and internal wiring (the wiring and soldering are much better quality than what you typically find in a servo in that price range) but have metal gears that wear out fast which can't be replaced because the main gear is press fit onto the output shaft and can't be separated from the pot. The cases are also somewhat brittle and you have to make sure that the tabs are flush with the mounting or frame and not being bent when you screw them down or they will eventually crack (one fix is to glue plastic servo mounting bits to the tab to reinforce them). As it is they are disposable servos, the gears wear out and you just bin it and replace it. It sucks that the electronics are good but the gears can't be replaced. If they fixed the gears and improved the plastic case they could still sell them for less than $20 and they would be the best servos in that price range.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._0_09_Sec.html
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...32g_0_11s.html
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...34g_0_06s.html
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...34g_0_05s.html

Turnigy MG930's are said to be decent cyclics. They're relabeled Towerpro servos though and that's not a brand that I trust after almost being hit by a 450 after an MG90S failed due to a wire popping off the pot inside.
Atomic Skull is offline Find More Posts by Atomic Skull
Last edited by Atomic Skull; Jan 02, 2013 at 12:10 AM.
Old Jan 02, 2013, 12:14 AM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2007
4,497 Posts
I was looking for servos for my 2nd 450 and found the 922s on HK. The review stating the tabs breaking makes me just want to get the Savox SH-0257MG, which I'll get.
Good luck y'all. BTDT with HK to Corona to Hitec, to Savox/Align. Post your problems here.
Old Jan 02, 2013, 12:25 AM
Joined Dec 2011
3,228 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle777 View Post
There was a lot of people there today, I flew with people flying T-28, EZ*, dodgy 3D pilots out for the first time in a while, and a paraglider dude w/wife and progeny 500' away with zero wind just standing there in the middle of a flat field, and 20 spectators for the first time in a while with the weather. I had just rebuilt it, and flew it once with the 13T, and reprogrammed the CC with less gain to fly it one more time, but just got too distracted after a loop that was supposed to end 5 feet above the ground.
Damage not bad at all.
Almost had a crash myself when I tried something I've been avoiding because it caused a crash last time I tried it with a 450. FFF and pull back into a vertical climb with 0 degrees pitch, as it stalls piro a couple times and end with the nose pointing down let it dive a bit and then pull out.

I've never done this with a 500 before and somehow it ended up stalling at a 20 degree angle slightly upside down. Thankfully I didn't panic and just completed the move and pulled out. If I had it would have been a pretty nasty wreck. I was shaking a little after the near miss though.
Atomic Skull is offline Find More Posts by Atomic Skull