HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 26, 2012, 08:33 PM
Just fly
Australia, VIC, Glen Waverley
Joined Jan 2011
2,103 Posts
Basic setup of my YEP80A esc

Well I guess it was a matter of time before I asked some questions on the YEP esc.

Can a YEP guru please guide me on a basic startup setting please? Not going to use gov yet until I have all the other parameters sorted.
So here is what I have so far.

HK500fb
Motor: Turnigy 500 H3126 (1600kv) (8 poles)
Pinion: 13T
Power: 6S 2650mAh
Max pitch: +11 -11

Ones in red I'm unsure of, but if you think my other parameters are incorrect please tell me.

Timing: 12 or 18 deg
Brake: OFF
Cut off type: slow down
Cut off voltage: 2.7 -3.4v
Cells: 6
Special Func: Default
Act. Freew: Gov. Off
P-Gain: N/A
I-Gain: N/A
Startup Speed: Heli slow
PWM: 12kHz
Startup Power: 4%

Is start up power the % of a packs total voltage?

Thanks for your help
evltoy is offline Find More Posts by evltoy
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 26, 2012, 09:13 PM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
12,223 Posts
I found the timing auto on special functions to be the best don't know about that motor. also auto startup power. Start up speed middle or you will be waiting a long time for spool up. Also don't forget you have to enter each time or your inputs won't take effect. A easy way to know is when your done go back threw the whole menu, don't worry this won't change any set, settings. If your set it, it will show if not it will be back on the last setting. That is one thing that threw me way off.
mhills51 is online now Find More Posts by mhills51
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 26, 2012, 09:21 PM
Just fly
Joined Jan 2011
2,103 Posts
Thanks for that mhills. i kinda knew you woul;d come to the table first.. lol

Pressing "enter" after a command or modifying a value is very standard with me & the industry I'm in
Old Dec 26, 2012, 09:23 PM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
12,223 Posts
Well I was use to not hitting enter until you were finished lol!
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 27, 2012, 02:07 AM
Team Mulikow 3D
Oxfordshire, UK
Joined Jan 2007
4,096 Posts
I use 18 degrees timing, and 2% or 4% power on start-up (if it "jumps" at start up on 4% go to 2% - the way that it seems to work is that the throttle % determines how "soft" the start is and the "start-up speed" is how quickly it gets to full speed). I use 12kHz for PWM as well.
MikeHRC is offline Find More Posts by MikeHRC
Old Dec 27, 2012, 05:24 AM
Just fly
Joined Jan 2011
2,103 Posts
Wicked info Mike - Thank you.

I have installed and setup the esc and I'm extremely impressed with the build quality & ease of programming with the card.

I started with a 4% startup with a TC low position of 15% and its a little too much. With Mikes info I may change my TC back to 11% and see how it goes before changing the startup to 2% in the esc.

So now I have a new esc & swapped out the GY520 gyro for a new mems (520 going on the 550). Will be very interesting to see how this heli goes with the changes.

Thanks again for you help guys
Old Dec 27, 2012, 07:43 AM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
12,223 Posts
I had tried all those settings and found that it jumped and had issues getting the motor started, turning. I knew about the start up power (I think that has to do with the getting the motor started) but had totally missed the auto timing on special functions. I have this on my airwolf and people are always asking what speedcontrol I am using because it starts so smooth and speeds up constant. Zero hesitation and zero jerking.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 27, 2012, 08:18 AM
Canada, ON, Muskoka
Joined Jul 2011
667 Posts
Quote:
I had tried all those settings and found that it jumped and had issues getting the motor started, turning.
The soft start up is / was very nice, but be wary. Ruined a new set of 600mm blades, main gear and tt front (rear) drive gears on my 600 because the "cheap" YEP 100 amp esc "jerked" so bad just changing the startup power from 8% to 4%. It's was working fine at 8, just thought it could be a little slower. Now it doesn't work at all. Should have known something was up when I advanced the throttle 1/8" on my Dx8 with no motor response, then all of a sudden, bam. I love the soft start on the HobbyWing Flyfun series, have one on my 500, should have just got one of those instead of trying this YEP, although the Vwinrc 125 amp that came with my combo is working great.
Muskoka1 is offline Find More Posts by Muskoka1
Old Dec 27, 2012, 02:07 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejavu*Xion View Post
Not much is really left...I sold off the fusuno canopy ( not on during crash. I was filming on board ) and the align esc to mrmj2u for $50. I do have the still like new Align 600 Fb head and tail unit. was thinking i may just throw them in a drawer for backup.. I know the align 600 head will fit a 550..But does an align 600 tail unit fit on a 550 boom ???
Yes the only difference is that the boom and belt / torque tube is shorter, the tailbox and boom mount case is the same. The 550 is essentially a shortened 600 with a single stacked frame. You can even go the other way and put a 550 boom and blades on a 600 though the only reason someone would do that is for comedic effect.
Atomic Skull is offline Find More Posts by Atomic Skull
Old Dec 27, 2012, 02:11 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhills51 View Post
I found the timing auto on special functions to be the best don't know about that motor. also auto startup power. Start up speed middle or you will be waiting a long time for spool up. Also don't forget you have to enter each time or your inputs won't take effect. A easy way to know is when your done go back threw the whole menu, don't worry this won't change any set, settings. If your set it, it will show if not it will be back on the last setting. That is one thing that threw me way off.
Go down to the bottom blank row on the second page and hit enter and it'll reinitialize the card and read back everything that's been set in the ESC without having to disconnect and reconnect the battery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muskoka1 View Post
The soft start up is / was very nice, but be wary. Ruined a new set of 600mm blades, main gear and tt front (rear) drive gears on my 600 because the "cheap" YEP 100 amp esc "jerked" so bad just changing the startup power from 8% to 4%. It's was working fine at 8, just thought it could be a little slower. Now it doesn't work at all. Should have known something was up when I advanced the throttle 1/8" on my Dx8 with no motor response, then all of a sudden, bam. .
How exactly did it ruin the blades /confused.
Atomic Skull is offline Find More Posts by Atomic Skull
Old Dec 27, 2012, 03:05 PM
Canada, ON, Muskoka
Joined Jul 2011
667 Posts
Quote:
How exactly did it ruin the blades /confused.
When the motor finally powered up at close to 1/8 throttle it was more like full power / torque and the blades slammed into the blade grips damaging the roots. Some people might fly with those blades, I'm not, there garbage now. I had just tried it at 8% and changed to 4% for a little slower start. The settings were verified, and are still set when you cycle through the settings on the card, only there is no power going to the motor now. Checked with a multi-meter, 22volts going into esc, none coming out to motor. There was definitely something wrong with the esc, won't buy another one. Cost me close to $100 to repair "it's" damage, plus the $31 it cost. Have always bought the HobbyWing Flyfun series and never once had an issue, great esc's.

Glen

Edit: I should have removed the blades when I made the change to the esc, figured it was ok after having just tried at 8%, lesson learned, the hard way. You can't trust cheap(er) Chinese electronics, without safely testing.
Muskoka1 is offline Find More Posts by Muskoka1
Last edited by Muskoka1; Dec 27, 2012 at 03:16 PM.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 04:12 PM
Just fly
Joined Jan 2011
2,103 Posts
Sorry to hear about the misspah Muskoka1. I'll remember to take off the blades for the next change.

I'm currently on 4% startup power and there is no jerking and miss firing on the blades. Its is very smooth, but I do want it a little slower to spool up so I'll give the 2% a try and see what the outcome is for me.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 04:31 PM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
12,223 Posts
That percentage is not for soft start up. New motors with super magnets need initial power just to start moving. I am sure you have seen a heli start up were it just make strange sounds and the blades shake. That is was the startup power is for and I found best in auto.

Startup speed is your slow start mid, and high that you find on most speedcontrols.

Here is the video of mine starting up. All set for auto with a Leopard 500l motor with super magnets. No Gov.
500 Airwolf (3 min 21 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 27, 2012, 04:38 PM
Just fly
Joined Jan 2011
2,103 Posts
Thats how mine starts now mhills.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 04:48 PM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
12,223 Posts
With stronger magnet motor if you set the startup power too low and the startup speed to slow you will get that power blip from hell that muskola has experienced. Because the strong motor won't have the power to start spinning and by the time it does the auto slow start will already be at 30-40%

Hope all that makes sense! I played with mine and had some close calls (before it was in the fuse) before just setting it all to auto lol!
RCG Plus Member