Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Dec 16, 2012, 06:10 PM
Registered User
Atomic Skull's Avatar
Joined Dec 2011
3,120 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle777 View Post
So I haven't even put the new parts on the 500 Tarot belt case assembly. I get tired of thinking about it. A genuine Align TT conversion kit is $80 shipped. Or just go back to the Align belt plastic case. The Align plastic case is fine.

It's a lot of work to change to nice looking Tarot crap. I've spent some $ on the 500 swash and 450 rotor hub, and it was like a fn joke. Links dragging, screws breaking when removing the screw for the first time. F Tarot.

I can't believe there has been so much comparison to Align = Tarot. I have had the most problems period with Tarot.
I've gotten bad Align parts in the past too, quite a lot in fact. Last was a Pro tail pitch slider with bad bearings that would bind up when you tightened the slide bushing. This is why the Trex 550 was crossed off my list of potential candidates for my name brand 550/600 build next year. The list currently consists of Gaui Thunder Tiger and Beam. Compass was on there too till I started hearing bad reports about the Warp and so I crossed the Atom 550 and 6HV off as well.
Atomic Skull is offline Find More Posts by Atomic Skull
Last edited by Atomic Skull; Dec 16, 2012 at 06:19 PM.
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 17, 2012, 09:48 PM
Need More PURPLE !!
Dejavu*Xion's Avatar
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Aug 2012
3,587 Posts
Yet another make over on the align 500E..Trying out this new style landing gear. I really like the looks of it, Its also very sturdy. I think they changed up the shoulder fittings some. This set required no modding like the 450 did. It sure does keep the tail off the ground.
Will be great for all the T.T fliers. I'm betting this style landing gear will catch on with more and more ppl as time goes on.
Dejavu*Xion is offline Find More Posts by Dejavu*Xion
Last edited by Dejavu*Xion; Dec 17, 2012 at 09:57 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 12:48 AM
Registered User
Atomic Skull's Avatar
Joined Dec 2011
3,120 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejavu*Xion View Post
Yet another make over on the align 500E..Trying out this new style landing gear. I really like the looks of it, Its also very sturdy. I think they changed up the shoulder fittings some. This set required no modding like the 450 did. It sure does keep the tail off the ground.
Will be great for all the T.T fliers. I'm betting this style landing gear will catch on with more and more ppl as time goes on.
The problem with those is that they are much less durable than gorilla gear and much more expensive to replace than stock skids.

Also something I've seen consistently with standard plastic skids is that in a hard landing they break and fly up into the rotor where one of the blades hits it and sends it flying. This could be much more dangerous with a piece of CF flying through the air like a knife.
Atomic Skull is offline Find More Posts by Atomic Skull
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 08:18 AM
Registered User
mhills51's Avatar
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
12,084 Posts
Never broke a old set of Align 500 skids. The frame mount always broke. Now the new 500pro skids are designed to snap and they do, but because of that they are really cheap priced, like $4 a set. Just a pain in the butt to change them every time with the four set screws and having to slide the poles out. That is why I went to the one piece. Most other companies are either going with breakaway skids or breakaway mounts. The flexible gear screws with FBL gyros at takeoff and the supper strong skids transfer the landing into the frame and break other more expensive parts.

Not sure how those are attached, but a lot of people are using nylon screws so they will pop on a hard landing. They come standard now on logos.
mhills51 is online now Find More Posts by mhills51
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 18, 2012, 09:24 AM
Need More PURPLE !!
Dejavu*Xion's Avatar
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Aug 2012
3,587 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Skull View Post
The problem with those is that they are much less durable than gorilla gear and much more expensive to replace than stock skids.

Also something I've seen consistently with standard plastic skids is that in a hard landing they break and fly up into the rotor where one of the blades hits it and sends it flying. This could be much more dangerous with a piece of CF flying through the air like a knife.
Good point..( rookies take note to Atomic Skulls advice). I'm looking at these skids as others look at wooden blades..if your still crashing a lot, Fly woodies...if your crashing days are few and far between and now know how to control your landings,, these work very nice as they do on the goblin.
Dejavu*Xion is offline Find More Posts by Dejavu*Xion
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 10:58 AM
just gotta mess with it!
2Doggs's Avatar
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,652 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Skull View Post
The problem with those is that they are much less durable than gorilla gear and much more expensive to replace than stock skids.

Also something I've seen consistently with standard plastic skids is that in a hard landing they break and fly up into the rotor where one of the blades hits it and sends it flying. This could be much more dangerous with a piece of CF flying through the air like a knife.
In my last few crashes, which have been over grass, the broken off parts of the skids always seem to end up stuck in the ground, and I've had to systematically search the crash site to find them.
2Doggs is offline Find More Posts by 2Doggs
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nano Tech 1800mah 4S 25-50c
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 12:54 PM
Registered User
Atomic Skull's Avatar
Joined Dec 2011
3,120 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhills51 View Post
Never broke a old set of Align 500 skids. The frame mount always broke. Now the new 500pro skids are designed to snap and they do, but because of that they are really cheap priced, like $4 a set. Just a pain in the butt to change them every time with the four set screws and having to slide the poles out. That is why I went to the one piece. Most other companies are either going with breakaway skids or breakaway mounts. The flexible gear screws with FBL gyros at takeoff and the supper strong skids transfer the landing into the frame and break other more expensive parts.

Not sure how those are attached, but a lot of people are using nylon screws so they will pop on a hard landing. They come standard now on logos.
Gorilla gear actually just bend and spring back rather than transferring the force of the impact to the frame. I was completely sold on them after I lost the tail while hovering 30 feet up and had to just hit throttle kill and pray (I'm pretty sure the pushrod jammed). Nothing on the helicopter was damaged except for the mainshaft, the pitch control arm on one grip and the tailfin. even the mainblades survived which is something I wouldn't have expected in a crash like that. It basically just fell straight down onto the skids and bounced.
Atomic Skull is offline Find More Posts by Atomic Skull
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 12:32 AM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2007
4,497 Posts
I give up on balancing the Tarot tail case on 500 #2. I installed the Align TT on 500 #1 and dynamically balanced it in 15 min. $40 of bearings, slider, blades, hub, and three hours+ later with three sets of blades on the Tarot case (including the Align CF tail blades that ultimately went on 500 #1) I give up.

-Why do I need two 500s? The first or second one just sits around for days or weeks depending. They are about the same now. I'm gonna disassemble the 2nd 500 so I don't get any more thoughts about upgrading it. Like tonight, I was gonna actually buy $140 more stuff to get the 2nd 500 like the 1st one. F that, I work for a living. The 2nd one will go into neat little bags for spares. I'm buying AGNH50119B, and TBEDAMP450V2 (out of green ones) and saved about $100.

And the scale bodies, will be interested some day, but not now.

Sorry had to vent.
eagle777 is offline Find More Posts by eagle777
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 04:07 AM
just gotta mess with it!
2Doggs's Avatar
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,652 Posts
You know some people can even get drawn into buying ceramic bearings...... the specs look mouth-watering, but so are the prices! You could spend $40 or more on a single bearing!
2Doggs is offline Find More Posts by 2Doggs
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nano Tech 1800mah 4S 25-50c
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 04:08 AM
Registered User
Atomic Skull's Avatar
Joined Dec 2011
3,120 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle777 View Post
I give up on balancing the Tarot tail case on 500 #2. I installed the Align TT on 500 #1 and dynamically balanced it in 15 min. $40 of bearings, slider, blades, hub, and three hours+ later with three sets of blades on the Tarot case (including the Align CF tail blades that ultimately went on 500 #1) I give up.

-Why do I need two 500s? The first or second one just sits around for days or weeks depending. They are about the same now. I'm gonna disassemble the 2nd 500 so I don't get any more thoughts about upgrading it. Like tonight, I was gonna actually buy $140 more stuff to get the 2nd 500 like the 1st one. F that, I work for a living. The 2nd one will go into neat little bags for spares. I'm buying AGNH50119B, and TBEDAMP450V2 (out of green ones) and saved about $100.

And the scale bodies, will be interested some day, but not now.

Sorry had to vent.

Vibration log from my Tarot 500 with stock belt tailcase. Didn't balance the tail or anything.

Atomic Skull is offline Find More Posts by Atomic Skull
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 03:50 PM
Registered User
3d astronaut's Avatar
United States, MI, Portage
Joined Sep 2011
4,102 Posts
Hey guys does anyone have 3 turnigy MG930 servos they want to sell? My buddy is in need of them and they are currently back ordered. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=9391
3d astronaut is offline Find More Posts by 3d astronaut
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Fatshark Attitude 1.3ghz
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 04:01 PM
Texas NewB
Black_heart's Avatar
United States, MD, Princess Anne
Joined Dec 2011
881 Posts
lmao I well sell hem 3 for $350.00 shipped priority mail.
They come with a Free Hausler 500 FBL Heli
Black_heart is offline Find More Posts by Black_heart
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 04:09 PM
Just fly
evltoy's Avatar
Australia, VIC, Glen Waverley
Joined Jan 2011
2,066 Posts
Can anyone recommend me a FBL tool/pitch gauge for setting up my pitch?

OR

I was thinking of cutting up some Perspex and screw it into the head where the head cap goes. In one direction to get my 0 pitch I can have the Perspex sit over both main blade grips. In the other direction I could have it act like a flybar and use my stock flybar pitch gauge to set up.

What do you guys think?
evltoy is online now Find More Posts by evltoy
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 04:15 PM
Texas NewB
Black_heart's Avatar
United States, MD, Princess Anne
Joined Dec 2011
881 Posts
I use a App on my Iphone
Black_heart is offline Find More Posts by Black_heart
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 04:22 PM
Just fly
evltoy's Avatar
Australia, VIC, Glen Waverley
Joined Jan 2011
2,066 Posts
I dislike Iphones and dont use them.
evltoy is online now Find More Posts by evltoy
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I got some Fan Fold what to build thread part II started by emoone!!! Don Sims Foamies (Kits) 188 Jan 23, 2010 08:28 PM
Mountain Models Tantrum Partial Build Thread.. Tram Parkflyers 142 Apr 03, 2004 10:41 PM
My Bobolink Build Thread (very Colibri like) Jim Poor Hand Launch 65 Dec 10, 2003 04:48 PM
Laird Super Solution Build Thread! boomerace Parkflyers 178 Oct 29, 2003 07:20 PM
Switchback re-build thread (or What the $#*& was that!) Biggles604 Parkflyers 17 Jun 23, 2003 09:34 PM