HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 07, 2012, 12:38 AM
Joined Dec 2011
3,393 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by evltoy View Post
How did you manage to strip the screw in the first place?

Are you talking about stripping the Hex head of the screw or the thread?
The hole in the motor that the screw goes into. It just stripped from multiple cycles of being tightened and untightened.
Atomic Skull is offline Find More Posts by Atomic Skull
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 07, 2012, 12:40 AM
352nd FG Association
United States, GA, Decatur
Joined Mar 2004
4,252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridge_racer View Post
If you need a metal head I have a new flybared head I don't need since my heli is FBL. Send me a PM if interested...
Thanks for the suggestions folks! True I do have a lot of good help here, but you can never disregard the many great opinions and advise one can find on RCG. These forums are a "Godsend", and have helped me with this hobby more times than I can count.

Like Eagle777 basically says, it seems this situation is a "hit & miss" type. I might get away with being cheap (but not at the expense of safety!), or I will end up spending what I would on a good new/used heli.

What I really need to do is decide just how soon I want to get it in the air. If I can't resist any longer, I should probably by a Blade 450. If I can hold myself back, then I can pick & peck at this one a few dollars at a time til it's done.

Ridge_racer, PM sent.
Moonbeam is offline Find More Posts by Moonbeam
Old Dec 07, 2012, 11:12 AM
Team Mulikow 3D
Oxfordshire, UK
Joined Jan 2007
4,138 Posts
Quote:
Will do beenflying

I will be getting few YEP for the 500's, 550 and thinking to add one to the 450 too.

As I have a budget per month for this hobby I have to wait till next week or so to buy. I just hope they are still around by then.

On the topic of the YEP.. I did read somewhere that people are putting heat sinks on them. Is this a must?
I have 4 YEPs and none have any heatsinks - all stay cool

Buddy codes have a life - best checking that they won't finish before you can buy
MikeHRC is offline Find More Posts by MikeHRC
Old Dec 07, 2012, 11:25 AM
Team Mulikow 3D
Oxfordshire, UK
Joined Jan 2007
4,138 Posts
Quote:
will the program card for the YEP from HK work with the himodel?

thanks for the heads up on the 45A YEP. I may rethink and get another plush.
Yes the prog cards are interchangeable.

The 45 is the same size as the 100, big for a 45 but still usable a nd a bargain for what they cost
MikeHRC is offline Find More Posts by MikeHRC
Old Dec 07, 2012, 12:17 PM
Mildly Confused
UK
Joined Oct 2008
1,480 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHRC View Post

The 45 is the same size as the 100, big for a 45 but still usable and a bargain for what they cost
That surprised the heck out of me when my 100 arrived. Mind I've always been told it's not how big it is it's what you do with it.

Excellent controllers for the price.
Paul 1968 is offline Find More Posts by Paul 1968
Old Dec 07, 2012, 05:46 PM
Just fly
Australia, VIC, Glen Waverley
Joined Jan 2011
2,103 Posts
Quote:
I have 4 YEPs and none have any heatsinks - all stay cool

Buddy codes have a life - best checking that they won't finish before you can buy
YEP. I just bought 3. 2 for the 500's + 1 for the 550

Quote:
Yes the prog cards are interchangeable.

The 45 is the same size as the 100, big for a 45 but still usable a nd a bargain for what they cost
Thanks for the info in the prog crads. That is very good to know
evltoy is offline Find More Posts by evltoy
Old Dec 07, 2012, 07:09 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,393 Posts
Found out the cause of the yaw, it was the new battery. I'm pretty sure than the old 3S's I've been doubling up are sagging under load. With the new battery more torque gets dumped into the helicopter on a hard climb and it cause the yaw. With the old batteries this doesn't happen. so I need to drop 1 pinion and rework my throttle curve. It also looks like I can set the gain 5% higher with the new batteries without causing problems with piro stops for some reason. Maybe the momentary load was causing a voltage sag that messed with stop behavior.
Old Dec 07, 2012, 10:16 PM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2007
4,497 Posts
Hey Evl, just received the parts. If you still wanted to know, the Tarot tail has the conventional button. (TL50073)
eagle777 is offline Find More Posts by eagle777
Old Dec 07, 2012, 10:16 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,393 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle777 View Post
Hey Evl, just received the parts. If you still wanted to know, the Tarot tail has the conventional button.
Button?

BTW I always secure the bearings in the Tarot sideplates with the green anaerobic retaining compound. The bearings are a bit looser fitting than the real Align tail. Not actually loose in the holes but they aren't an interference fit like with the Align tail. There' supposed to be a shim on the long side of the tailshaft to keep the pully from moving side to side in the tailcase.
Old Dec 07, 2012, 10:20 PM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2007
4,497 Posts
To lock the tail and keep it from rotating. I dunno. The round raised feature that is part of the tail assembly that fits into the hole in the side of the tail boom.

I'll put some Locktite on the bearings now that you mention it. There is no side play at all in the shaft. No shims included either..
Old Dec 07, 2012, 10:27 PM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
12,779 Posts
Might look a little closer. My tarot came with a shim, but I didn't see it until latter. It didn't mater because I used the align pulley and it didn't need it, but after playing with the tarot pulley I saw the shim.
mhills51 is online now Find More Posts by mhills51
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 07, 2012, 10:38 PM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2007
4,497 Posts
Ohh, OK.

I had to get up, look for a shim, find it, and measure it. There is a 0.011" shim on the short end of the shaft. The aluminum pulley part is cruddy at the ends, and I'll replace that with an Align part.

Edit, I keep hearing about the quality of Tarot parts, but have had issues with screws that break off at the head in the tail grip and other stuff. For example, with the new tail, the aluminum pulley is not something I'd expect even from XHeli/EXI. It could be cut off with an razor, but it is pretty sloppy. I hope the Align shaft will not have any play. You still get what you pay for.

Mhills, would you know what MG sets are are available for the SM-3481M? Did you buy them at one time?
Last edited by eagle777; Dec 07, 2012 at 10:55 PM.
Old Dec 08, 2012, 12:06 AM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
12,779 Posts
Quote:
Ohh, OK.

I had to get up, look for a shim, find it, and measure it. There is a 0.011" shim on the short end of the shaft. The aluminum pulley part is cruddy at the ends, and I'll replace that with an Align part.

Edit, I keep hearing about the quality of Tarot parts, but have had issues with screws that break off at the head in the tail grip and other stuff. For example, with the new tail, the aluminum pulley is not something I'd expect even from XHeli/EXI. It could be cut off with an razor, but it is pretty sloppy. I hope the Align shaft will not have any play. You still get what you pay for.

Mhills, would you know what MG sets are are available for the SM-3481M? Did you buy them at one time?
I have them, Is there something you need? I will just send it to you. I had a bad one from the get go and they just sent me a new servo. I can send you the gears if you need them.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 08, 2012, 12:26 AM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2007
4,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhills51 View Post
I have them, Is there something you need? I will just send it to you. I had a bad one from the get go and they just sent me a new servo. I can send you the gears if you need them.
Hey, thanks! I was just wondering if they were a clone of a well known brand and model that I could get gears for in the U.S.
I was just looking for spares. I haven't taken one apart yet, and was hoping to get a supplier for a few spare sets, and you're about the only person I know that has purchased them.
Old Dec 08, 2012, 12:39 AM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
12,779 Posts
Quote:
Hey, thanks! I was just wondering if they were a clone of a well known brand and model that I could get gears for in the U.S.
I was just looking for spares. I haven't taken one apart yet, and was hoping to get a supplier for a few spare sets, and you're about the only person I know that has purchased them.
Have not seen any, but if you need some just look me up. Trying to teach my kids that just because we have no money does not mean you can't help they guy down the street.
RCG Plus Member