HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 04, 2012, 07:17 AM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,597 Posts
+1 on that. The Align manual warns about HS > 2650, and I suspect it's the tail grips that let go first.

The SK3 has 6 poles, despite HK stating it to be 14 poles, so the theoretical optimum PWM is 12kHz on 6s. In the past, I've seen small improvements in the smoothness of throttle control with different PWM in my data logs.

I would start with mid timing and work up, keeping an eye on motor temps.
2Doggs is online now Find More Posts by 2Doggs
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nano Tech 1800mah 4S 25-50c
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 04, 2012, 10:46 AM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Nov 2010
2,273 Posts
Cool guys...thx for the heads up. Can't believe I had the wrong pinion gear on. Was using the 13T instead of the 12T.....
ridge_racer is offline Find More Posts by ridge_racer
Last edited by ridge_racer; Dec 04, 2012 at 11:02 AM.
Old Dec 04, 2012, 11:24 AM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,597 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridge_racer View Post
Cool guys...thx for the heads up. Can't believe I had the wrong pinion gear on. Was using the 13T instead of the 12T.....
13t probably works great with governor mode though!
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 04, 2012, 11:57 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2,273 Posts
I know but I have to wait for my next hobbyking order to get the program card I should have bought in the first place...lol. On another note for 50 buck more than it cost me to build the VWINRC 500ESP I could have got a VCTRC 550 combo all electronics, canopy, and blades with DFC head and VCTRC 3GX=beastx clone gyro. Only caveat is the dhl shipping.
Last edited by ridge_racer; Dec 04, 2012 at 04:38 PM.
Old Dec 04, 2012, 02:35 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,054 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Doggs View Post
+1 on that. The Align manual warns about HS > 2650, and I suspect it's the tail grips that let go first.

The SK3 has 6 poles, despite HK stating it to be 14 poles, so the theoretical optimum PWM is 12kHz on 6s. In the past, I've seen small improvements in the smoothness of throttle control with different PWM in my data logs.

I would start with mid timing and work up, keeping an eye on motor temps.
How do I calculate that? Also how do I know the correct timing?

With freewheel on the motor pulses noticeably with the helicopter on the ground at midstick.

The governor setup still confuses me, I seriously have no idea how I'm supposed to do this. The manual is no help and I can't find any information about correct throttle curves for governor mode online.
Atomic Skull is offline Find More Posts by Atomic Skull
Old Dec 04, 2012, 02:36 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,054 Posts
Quote:
I know but I have to wait for my next hobbyking order to get the program card I should have bought in the first place...lol. On another note for 50 buck more than it cost me to build the VWINRC 500ESP I could have got a 550 combo all electronics, canopy, and blades with DFC head and 3gx gyro. Only caveat is the dhl shipping.
The 3GX would go straight in the bin and be replaced by a real FBL controller. If not immediately then right after the first time it dumped your helicopter into the pavement.

Best value in a 550 size super combo is the Gaui X5 FES with servos ESC 1820 watt scorpion motor and a microbeast for $800. And you don't even have to order it from overseas. Gaui's quality of manufacturing is also in a whole different galaxy than Align's.
Last edited by Atomic Skull; Dec 04, 2012 at 02:48 PM.
Old Dec 04, 2012, 03:19 PM
Retired Old Guy
United States, IL, New Lenox
Joined Jan 2012
597 Posts
How many guys in this thread have converted their HK500 to FB?

RWW
whitehedr is online now Find More Posts by whitehedr
Old Dec 04, 2012, 03:20 PM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,597 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Skull View Post
How do I calculate that? Also how do I know the correct timing?
For PWM, I read somewhere that it's motor kv x number of poles x battery voltage / 20.

If the timing is too advanced, the motor will run hot. If it's too low, it may not run properly.

Quote:
With freewheel on the motor pulses noticeably with the helicopter on the ground at midstick.
Is it any different with higher PWM and/or higher timing?

Quote:
The governor setup still confuses me, I seriously have no idea how I'm supposed to do this. The manual is no help and I can't find any information about correct throttle curves for governor mode online.
Governor mode is dead simple - your throttle curve becomes just a flat line, say 75% - and that is not specifying any throttle value from the ESC, instead it's giving the ESC a motor rpm figure to try to maintain.

On my 4s 450, I'm running governor mode and my normal curve uses 84% throttle, which results in HS2600. Stunt 1 uses 87% throttle, giving HS2700, and stunt 2 89%, which gives HS2800. Generally speaking, you can't get more than about 80% of the max HS you would get without governor mode - which is referred to as "headroom" - so you usually run a pinion with one or more teeth than on a non-governor mode heli. Since I like to run lowish HS, I'm using a 2900kv motor on 4s with a 12t pinion onto the 150t maingear, for a max governed HS around 2900, compared with 3200 or so ungoverned. If you try to set too high a governed HS, you'll see the ESC throttle go up to 100% a lot of the time, and the HS won't stay constant.

In the flight data log image below, the blue line is the actual ESC throttle. Note how it goes up and down from about 40% to 100% during the flight, with the motor rpm, shown by the purple line, staying quite constant. I'm using a flat line 87% throttle curve. (the Superbrain 45A ESC doesn't correctly show the current, however!)

I've tried to read the YEP manual, and it's not easy to understand how to adjust governor mode. I think it's lost a lot in translation!
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 04, 2012, 03:47 PM
Smoke em ' If ya got em
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Aug 2012
3,401 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitehedr View Post
How many guys in this thread have converted their HK500 to FB?

RWW
Do you mean FBL ?
Dejavu*Xion is offline Find More Posts by Dejavu*Xion
Old Dec 04, 2012, 04:01 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,054 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Doggs View Post

Governor mode is dead simple - your throttle curve becomes just a flat line, say 75% - and that is not specifying any throttle value from the ESC, instead it's giving the ESC a motor rpm figure to try to maintain.
If the motor runs constantly how do you land? This is the thing I'm not understanding. Everyone says use a flat curve, but I don't see how you would land and shut the thing off like that.
Old Dec 04, 2012, 04:08 PM
Smoke em ' If ya got em
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Aug 2012
3,401 Posts
Quote:
If the motor runs constantly how do you land? This is the thing I'm not understanding. Everyone says use a flat curve, but I don't see how you would land and shut the thing off like that.
I just bring it down till skids touch, then hit T.H ..
Dejavu*Xion is offline Find More Posts by Dejavu*Xion
Old Dec 04, 2012, 04:08 PM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,597 Posts
Quote:
You land either under power, in any of the flight modes, and then hit throttle hold to turn the motor off, or flip throttle hold when in a low hover and do a mini auto landing.

You always need to power up the heli in throttle hold, otherwise the ESC will go into program mode. To start, you flip the throttle hold switch, at which time most ESC's have a super-soft start mode enabled by governor mode. On my attached png, you might notice it takes a few seconds for the headspeed to reach the target speed. The super-soft start mode on my 45A Superbrain is not so super-soft, however - it gives an initial kick, though with the regular rubber skid nuts, it's not enough to swing the heli. You just get used to using the throttle hold switch a lot when using governor mode.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 04, 2012, 04:36 PM
Joined Nov 2010
2,273 Posts
Quote:
The 3GX would go straight in the bin and be replaced by a real FBL controller. If not immediately then right after the first time it dumped your helicopter into the pavement.

Best value in a 550 size super combo is the Gaui X5 FES with servos ESC 1820 watt scorpion motor and a microbeast for $800. And you don't even have to order it from overseas. Gaui's quality of manufacturing is also in a whole different galaxy than Align's.
AS....I really like that Gaui combo but still a little high priced for the level of flying I am at. Also I should have stated that the 3GX I am referring to is the VCTRC 3GX = same as HB800 beastx clone. I got an email from VCTRC selling the combo with electronics for 450 less shipping.
Old Dec 04, 2012, 04:42 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,054 Posts
Quote:
AS....I really like that Gaui combo but still a little high priced for the level of flying I am at. Also I should have stated that the 3GX I am referring to is the VCTRC 3GX = same as HB800 beastx clone. I got an email from VCTRC selling the combo with electronics for 450 less shipping.
When you said 3GX I assumed you meant an Align Trex 550 super combo. The Gaui X5 FES combo is a better quality machine with better electronics for about the same price.

Don't think I like the governor, the tail kicks pretty severely on a hard climb.
Last edited by Atomic Skull; Dec 04, 2012 at 04:54 PM.
Old Dec 04, 2012, 04:54 PM
Retired Old Guy
United States, IL, New Lenox
Joined Jan 2012
597 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejavu*Xion View Post
Do you mean FBL ?
oops, yes I did mean FBL.

RWW
whitehedr is online now Find More Posts by whitehedr