HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 29, 2012, 11:24 AM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,615 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leeve View Post
Hey guys,i have been a long time leerker and soaked up a lot of info from this forum but still a newbie.My question is i bought a hk 500gt and a metal tail but no pin to secure it i plan on drilling a hole but am worried that the belt might hit the screw, has this happened to anyone.thanks in advanced.
It's easy to lose the locating pin! Even without the pin, however, your tail case is not going to fall off since the belt holds it to the boom. So long as the case is clamped to the boom by the vertical fin bolts, it's pretty secure, so I would fly it without adding a screw, as in fact I do one of my 450's. You can add a run of Scotch Magic tape or similar around the end of the boom to make it a tighter fit if need be. Keep an eye on the vertical fin staying vertical, since any knocks might twist the tail gearbox around.

Otherwise, if you want to use the screw, make sure it is dead on the centreline of the boom, so that any projecting part of it is between the two runs of the belt, and try to use a screw that's only just long enough.
2Doggs is online now Find More Posts by 2Doggs
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nano Tech 1800mah 4S 25-50c
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 29, 2012, 11:29 AM
Texas NewB
United States, MD, Princess Anne
Joined Dec 2011
867 Posts
I pinned my tail You just want to make sure the pin dont go in to far so that it well hit.
Black_heart is online now Find More Posts by Black_heart
Old Nov 29, 2012, 12:30 PM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Sep 2012
15 Posts
Do any of you guys have a link to buy a pin i didnt get one with the stock plastic one infact there wasnt even a hole drilled in the plastic one
leeve is offline Find More Posts by leeve
Old Nov 29, 2012, 12:31 PM
Texas NewB
United States, MD, Princess Anne
Joined Dec 2011
867 Posts
the plastic one is built into it
Black_heart is online now Find More Posts by Black_heart
Old Nov 29, 2012, 12:38 PM
Vero Beach, Florida
Joined Oct 2008
220 Posts
leeve, I drilled a hole in the metal tail case (on the side, not the top or bottom), tapped it (put threads in it) and used a grub screw (like the one that holds the flybar in place), to secure the boom to mine. Be sure that you use lock-tite on the screws that hold the metal tail case together, they'll work loose otherwise, I even use "Goop" in addition over mine as its a great adhesive that will pull off with needle nose pliers. Cheers!
wattflyer is offline Find More Posts by wattflyer
Old Nov 29, 2012, 01:33 PM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Sep 2012
15 Posts
Thanks wattflyer i didnt even think about using the grub screws but im now thinking i should buy the align tail assembly as im scared to fly it.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 02:47 PM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Sep 2012
15 Posts
Wait are u saying its ok for the tail to move on the boom like that,i have it screwed as much as it can,it is pretty tight but you can turn it with some force applied.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 04:04 PM
Just fly
Australia, VIC, Glen Waverley
Joined Jan 2011
2,044 Posts
I put a bolt through mine.

The boom already has a hole on one side so I just drilled through the tail case (Metal) and through to the other side of the boom & case. I then used a 450 screw washer as stand offs for the Vert. Stab. to clear the bolt head from the Stab and used a nylon lock nut to hold the bolt in place.

There is heaps of clearance between the bolt and belt.
evltoy is online now Find More Posts by evltoy
Old Nov 29, 2012, 04:19 PM
Just fly
Joined Jan 2011
2,044 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle777 View Post
evltoy & mhills, thanks for the advice about balancing. My link lengths for the 2nd 500:

Servo: 16mm
Servo -> swash: 50mm
Swash -> head: 54mm

Might give a average for evl.
I hooked up the servo's last night and had to trim out one servo to get centred then started on the links.

So far without an FBL head tool to zero out I have used the following
Servo -> swash: 50mm
Swash -> head: 54mm

eagle - What was the reason you used the 16mm hole on the servo arm (F)? I ended up getting an Align FBL manual for product H50123 and they say to use the hole with 13mm which is the second hole from centre.

I plan to use the zyx fbl gyro.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 05:21 PM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,615 Posts
13mm would be about right on a 450 on cyclic but a 500 needs about 16 or 17mm. Are you sure the Align document is not referring to the tail servo?
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 29, 2012, 05:23 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,062 Posts
Tarot now has a DFC head for the 500 and new FBL head based on the same grips/bearings. Basically it's the same thing they did with the new 450 head. Same grips with a different headblock and arms for the DFC and FBL editions.

Atomic Skull is offline Find More Posts by Atomic Skull
Old Nov 29, 2012, 05:42 PM
Just fly
Joined Jan 2011
2,044 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Doggs View Post
13mm would be about right on a 450 on cyclic but a 500 needs about 16 or 17mm. Are you sure the Align document is not referring to the tail servo?
Just check again... 110% its says 13mm with Arm F for cyclics. & manaul is for a 500

Update - Could it be that everyone might be referencing the 500ELF Pro manual for the Rjx Head with HK500 (v2) heli?
Last edited by evltoy; Nov 29, 2012 at 06:24 PM.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 07:25 PM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,615 Posts
The Align 500CF manual shows 16 - 16.5mm for the cyclic servo arms, and the 500e Pro manual shows 21mm. The 500e Pro 3GX manual shows the linkage balls in the outer holes of the D6FF metal servo arms, which I believe is 21mm. The Align FBL head looks to have grip arms around 25mm long - a bit shorter than the RJX ones.

The thing to watch out for is that you don't run out of servo travel at combined collective, aileron and elevator, and it's the aileron servos that have to move more.

If you can't achieve the collective and cyclic range you want, you need to use longer servo arms. I think 16.5mm is the minimum length when using the RJX head.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 29, 2012, 08:00 PM
Just fly
Joined Jan 2011
2,044 Posts
2Doggs - you are correct. When I had centred the servo's I did an Aileron full travel test. I did max out the travel on the ailerons & pitch when doing full forward right and left... the balls were hitting the case on the DS510's, backwards was ok.

I'll move the balls to the next hole which is bang on 16mm

This is why I'm having issue... I dont have the Align 500CF manual to work off, only the 500ESP, 500ELF Pro & 500 Flybarless System. Need to hunt down this CF manual.

Update - I just looked at the CF manual and I found it is for a FB setup, but I did say ball should be install between 16-16.5mm. I was under the impression that the FLB ball on horn was a different setup to a FB setup.
Last edited by evltoy; Nov 29, 2012 at 08:17 PM.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 08:06 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,062 Posts
Did that one guy ever show back up? The one with all the questions,lol
stingeragents is offline Find More Posts by stingeragents