SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 25, 2010, 08:09 PM
Joined Jan 2010
38 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcnewb View Post
Barry - looks good to me, the spare parts are a good idea so that you have extras in case of a crash. It's not a bad idea to order some extra flybars (stabilizer bars), feathering shafts, and a main shaft, though the Align versions of them are better (made of higher quality hardened steel) but also more expensive.

For the tail servo, the TowerPro (now Turnigy) MG930 is fine for sport flying and mild 3D, but the ds520 is obviously nicer. If you want to go full size, the Hyperion DS20 is fine and priced very reasonably.
rcnewb, I took your advise and I'm going to build this heli with:

1. scorpion 1600kv motor
2. Castle Creations Ice 75 Amp esc
3. Spektrum 6200
4. 3 Hitec 225BB
5. 1 Futaba 9257
6. Futaba GY 240 Gyro
7. 2 2200 Thunder power 3 cell lipos
Is there anything I'm missing? Does this sound like a good setup? I'm gonna need a lot of help on this one.
Paul5992 is offline Find More Posts by Paul5992
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 25, 2010, 08:22 PM
Sierra Vista Az.
Joined Nov 2003
52 Posts
Man you have deep pockets. The 240 I have never heard good things about, but 401 everybody likes. Have a Scorpion in my 600 nice motor.
ohmyers is offline Find More Posts by ohmyers
Old Jan 25, 2010, 08:37 PM
Joined Jan 2010
38 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohmyers View Post
Man you have deep pockets. The 240 I have never heard good things about, but 401 everybody likes. Have a Scorpion in my 600 nice motor.
I had the 240 on hand.
Old Jan 25, 2010, 08:43 PM
Gone Flying.
Western NY
Joined Nov 2006
2,401 Posts
Paul - that's a high-end setup, no question about it. I am impartial when it comes to motors, but really like Scorpion, they make a quality motor, it's more expensive, but worth it IMO for the performance/efficiency, it's really the one area where you really see your investment pay off in performance. The tail servo/gyro combo are important, but more so for experienced/advanced RC heli pilots, if you're new to heli's, the Futaba Gyro/9257 combo might be overkill, but it's a top-of-the-line setup without question. I have only ever used CC ESC's in heli's, very nice slow start and tons of options for tailoring the heli to your style of flight.

I'd recommend investing in some Align parts - the Align 425mm carbon fiber blades are a nice upgrade, as well as the Align main/tail gears. The stock parts suffice just fine, but if you're gonna go with all high-end parts you might as well upgrade the blades and the gears up front. To cut costs, I recommend Zippy batteries (2x3S or 6S 3000mAh) from HobbyKing, the TowerPro (now Turnigy) 930MG digitals are great cyclic servos. If you have most of those parts on-hand already, then I'd say you're well covered in terms of electronics and you'll have a solid-flying 500GT.
ChrisWNY is offline Find More Posts by ChrisWNY
Old Jan 25, 2010, 09:03 PM
Joined Jan 2010
38 Posts
Quote:
Paul - that's a high-end setup, no question about it. I am impartial when it comes to motors, but really like Scorpion, they make a quality motor, it's more expensive, but worth it IMO for the performance/efficiency, it's really the one area where you really see your investment pay off in performance. The tail servo/gyro combo are important, but more so for experienced/advanced RC heli pilots, if you're new to heli's, the Futaba Gyro/9257 combo might be overkill, but it's a top-of-the-line setup without question. I have only ever used CC ESC's in heli's, very nice slow start and tons of options for tailoring the heli to your style of flight.

I'd recommend investing in some Align parts - the Align 425mm carbon fiber blades are a nice upgrade, as well as the Align main/tail gears. The stock parts suffice just fine, but if you're gonna go with all high-end parts you might as well upgrade the blades and the gears up front. To cut costs, I recommend Zippy batteries (2x3S or 6S 3000mAh) from HobbyKing, the TowerPro (now Turnigy) 930MG digitals are great cyclic servos. If you have most of those parts on-hand already, then I'd say you're well covered in terms of electronics and you'll have a solid-flying 500GT.
I have the 240 and the thunder power packs. I plan on upgrades but probably not right away. The wife is OK with this price tag for now. I'll poke at her a little more before summer I promise you that!!
Old Jan 25, 2010, 09:26 PM
Joined Jan 2010
38 Posts
How many of you guys are rigid mounting your servos? How many are using the servo grommets? Pro's Con's?
Old Jan 25, 2010, 09:31 PM
Gone Flying.
Western NY
Joined Nov 2006
2,401 Posts
I used the servo grommets for the cyclic servos (but not on the tail), pros are that they will reduce vibration, the main "con" (according to finless bob) is that they will make cyclic movement more "mushy", I have a hard time believing that as the servos still feel rock solid like concrete even with the grommets, and reduction in vibration to the core of the servo is always a good thing. It's up to you whether or not you want to use them, IMO you'll extend the life of the servos by using grommets.

The stock tail servo mount is not adequate, go with the Align tail servo mount that has the c/f plate to keep that servo firm on the tail, otherwise the stock mount will allow a lot of movement which will greatly reduce tail precision and response.
Old Jan 25, 2010, 09:35 PM
Joined Jan 2010
38 Posts
Who is finless bob? I've seen his name a few times in here?
Old Jan 25, 2010, 10:12 PM
Joined Aug 2009
13 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JapanFlyer View Post
Hi All.

Got mine completely built yesterday, then suffered from a serious brain fart. Not quite as bad as putting it through the ceiling (heh), but close enough. The unprotected deans connector from the battery shorted and arced against the flybar. Then I pulled a pair of pliers out and arced again... in the end, had pliers, fly bar, and one terminal of the deans all welded together.
At that point I stepped away from the whole assembly and started to think Jack and Coke.

Thanks in advance.
Did you put the Pin side of the Deans on the battery?
The pins should be at the ESC, the battery should be the Deans socket, just like any electrical appliance. You do not want exposed bare metal on an electrical source.
MutantGarage is offline Find More Posts by MutantGarage
Old Jan 25, 2010, 10:16 PM
Joined Aug 2009
13 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumbler View Post
Guys, I may have figured out the tail problem. I went out today and tried again the thing wold not stop spiining. I noticed the screw was loose holding the 90 degree bell crank to the case was a little loose so I tightened it and then noticed that the arm was still loose. I noticed a small crack in the little arm that comes out from the tail case right when the screw goeing into it and holds the bell crank.

Brian
Has that fixed it? I have a 450 that does the same thing, at 4 minutes, the tail starts to come around. I figured it was the 'Mystery 401' gyro and set my transmitter timer to 3:30 and kept flying. Less wear on the LiPos
MutantGarage is offline Find More Posts by MutantGarage
Old Jan 25, 2010, 11:16 PM
Joined Jan 2010
53 Posts
Hi All.

Just purchased and affixed an Align flybar control arm without any problems. It's easier to deal with since it does not have four bar tightening screws, but two.

Also, I have to confess that I first took the main rotor head apart last night (after first spin-up on the bench), since I took the whole head out anyway. The big bolts came out easy, and as reported by everyone else, those thrust bearings were dry as a bone!!

Will spin her up tonight and post an EagleTree graph. Bear with me, since it'll be my first time using EagleTree.
JapanFlyer is offline Find More Posts by JapanFlyer
Old Jan 26, 2010, 02:09 AM
Joined Jan 2010
53 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MutantGarage View Post
Did you put the Pin side of the Deans on the battery?
The pins should be at the ESC, the battery should be the Deans socket, just like any electrical appliance. You do not want exposed bare metal on an electrical source.
Right.... learning that the hard way :-) Re-soldered everything last night. Will spin up when I get back in the shack in a couple hours and install EagleTree.
JapanFlyer is offline Find More Posts by JapanFlyer
Old Jan 26, 2010, 09:32 AM
New Jersey
Joined Feb 2003
8,048 Posts
How can you moutn the servos with out the grommets and brass eyelets? The hole in the eservo is too big to be mounted without them. I just cranked them down as tight as possible but only so far ou can go unless you dremel down the height of the brass insert. I am using the grommets on on servos and have a little movement in the servo, but nothing major. I would have considered not using them if i knew how to munt them without the grommets.

Let me know.

Thanks,

Birna

Quote:
I used the servo grommets for the cyclic servos (but not on the tail), pros are that they will reduce vibration, the main "con" (according to finless bob) is that they will make cyclic movement more "mushy", I have a hard time believing that as the servos still feel rock solid like concrete even with the grommets, and reduction in vibration to the core of the servo is always a good thing. It's up to you whether or not you want to use them, IMO you'll extend the life of the servos by using grommets.

The stock tail servo mount is not adequate, go with the Align tail servo mount that has the c/f plate to keep that servo firm on the tail, otherwise the stock mount will allow a lot of movement which will greatly reduce tail precision and response.
Tumbler is offline Find More Posts by Tumbler
Old Jan 26, 2010, 09:42 AM
Gone Flying.
Western NY
Joined Nov 2006
2,401 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumbler View Post
How can you moutn the servos with out the grommets and brass eyelets? The hole in the eservo is too big to be mounted without them. I just cranked them down as tight as possible but only so far ou can go unless you dremel down the height of the brass insert. I am using the grommets on on servos and have a little movement in the servo, but nothing major. I would have considered not using them if i knew how to munt them without the grommets.

Let me know.

Thanks,

Birna
As long as the cap head of the screw isn't too small for the screw hole mount in the servo, you can mount them just fine without using the rubber grommets, in fact, they should mount the same way. The rubber grommet is simply an insert for the servo designed to reduce vibration to the servo from a vibrating plane or heli.
Old Jan 26, 2010, 09:45 AM
New Jersey
Joined Feb 2003
8,048 Posts
Are you using the screws and metal back plates that came with the kit? That is what I am using and so the heads are way to small to be used without the brass inserts. The screw would go right through the opening in the servos.

Quote:
As long as the cap head of the screw isn't too small for the screw hole mount in the servo, you can mount them just fine without using the rubber grommets, in fact, they should mount the same way. The rubber grommet is simply an insert for the servo designed to reduce vibration to the servo from a vibrating plane or heli.
Tumbler is offline Find More Posts by Tumbler