HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 14, 2012, 09:55 AM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,841 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sp00fman View Post
Hold a small soldering iron on the screw for a minute. You might be able to unscrew it then.
+1 on that. HK tend to use some white threadlock that is way too strong, and I've always had to use a soldering iron on bolts such as the flybar seesaw and mixing arm pivots. I've not come across threadlock on feathering spindle bolts, but I've also never seen HK use any grease on the thrust bearings.

Since there aren't any plastic parts around the feathering spindle, you can go to town with the soldering iron without the risk of melting plastic. Make sure you have a couple of close fitting hex keys, since the last thing you need is to strip the bolt heads.

If you can't get it apart, you'll still have to deal with it at a later date - unless you crash the heli and need a new head.....
2Doggs is online now Find More Posts by 2Doggs
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nano Tech 1800mah 4S 25-50c
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 14, 2012, 03:53 PM
Australia
Joined Jun 2010
1,611 Posts
Ok thanks guys. I will give the soldering iron tip a go.

**update** I just got it separated with the soldering iron. The screws had a generous helping of "white" thread lock. Thanks again for your help
Bravo47 is offline Find More Posts by Bravo47
Last edited by Bravo47; Oct 14, 2012 at 04:45 PM.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 05:24 PM
Flying high
Tampa Florida
Joined Nov 2007
316 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sp00fman View Post
Hold a small soldering iron on the screw for a minute. You might be able to unscrew it then.
I have actually had to hold the soldering iron to the screw while trying to unscrew the tail rotor grips. It seemed like every time I took the soldering iron off it cooled down too much. I finally got it though. It's amazing how they will over do it on some screw points and not even bother on others. SHEESH!
biker dude is offline Find More Posts by biker dude
Old Oct 14, 2012, 09:26 PM
Australia
Joined Jun 2010
1,611 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by biker dude View Post
It's amazing how they will over do it on some screw points and not even bother on others. SHEESH!
eg: the swash plate ball links :|

On one 500 I built the anti-rotation ball link released during its maiden test hover resulting in an expensive roll over and a big anti-climax.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 11:21 PM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,841 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo47 View Post
eg: the swash plate ball links :|

On one 500 I built the anti-rotation ball link released during its maiden test hover resulting in an expensive roll over and a big anti-climax.
Yes, it's also easy to strip the threads on the anti-rotation link, so best to use moderate torque and decent threadlock when securing it.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 14, 2012, 11:29 PM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
12,636 Posts
Hey guys had a lot of fun at the scale fun fly. Here are some pics of the 500e airwolf. My wife took the pics. Did I say my wife took the pics lol!
mhills51 is offline Find More Posts by mhills51
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 15, 2012, 03:33 AM
Joined Dec 2011
3,319 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Doggs View Post

Since there aren't any plastic parts around the feathering spindle, you can go to town with the soldering iron without the risk of melting plastic. Make sure you have a couple of close fitting hex keys, since the last thing you need is to strip the bolt heads.
Don't use hex keys, they always round off after a few screws. The Dynamite RC hex driver set (the red aluminum handled ones with replaceable bits not the cheap ones with the plastic handles) is inexpensive and actually holds up better than the Align set.
Atomic Skull is offline Find More Posts by Atomic Skull
Old Oct 15, 2012, 06:34 AM
Australia
Joined Jun 2010
1,611 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Skull View Post
Don't use hex keys, they always round off after a few screws. The Dynamite RC hex driver set (the red aluminum handled ones with replaceable bits not the cheap ones with the plastic handles) is inexpensive and actually holds up better than the Align set.
I'm just about due for a new Hex Driver set. Is this the one you are talking about linked below.

Link- http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Dynamite...item460467c5bb
Old Oct 15, 2012, 08:31 AM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
12,636 Posts
Just get a quality hex set. The ones that come with any kit are throwaways. One of the best 1.5 I have was $1.99 at deal extreme. The ones you are showing are sold at our lhs and don't lock into the handle.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 15, 2012, 12:32 PM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,841 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Skull View Post
+1, I was just being sloppy referring to hex drivers as hex keys.....
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 15, 2012, 02:10 PM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Nov 2010
2,369 Posts
mhills51....glad you got your wife marginally involved in the hobby...My wife thinks I might be a terrorist with all my random packages from HK...lol
ridge_racer is offline Find More Posts by ridge_racer
Old Oct 15, 2012, 03:59 PM
Australia
Joined Jun 2010
1,611 Posts
Sometimes I wonder how a new heli kit can come with bent shafts. This current HK500GT kit I'm building was supplied with a bent shaft on the "tail drive gear set". I was just checking the rotation before fitting the belt when I noticed the gear was moving up and down through the rotation. Luckily I still had the broken CX500 lying about for spares or would have been a frustrating delay in the build.

Mick
Old Oct 15, 2012, 07:15 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,319 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo47 View Post
I'm just about due for a new Hex Driver set. Is this the one you are talking about linked below.

Link- http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Dynamite...item460467c5bb
No. If those are like the plastic handled ones with the black tips then they will round out fast (the tips look identical) The plastic handled nut drivers I got from them were cheap and seem to hold up reasonable well though.

I mean these ones.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...Metric-Set-Red

These have lasted for months now without loosing their corners. I originally bought a single 1.5 as the second for removing the feathering shaft from my 450 and it held up better than the Align set I had bought. So I went and bought the whole set. I'm pretty sure than the black aluminum handled ones with the colored plastic end caps that Dynamite sells also use the same bits. Those cost $34 instead of $19 but also come with a 3mm driver.

Just to reiterate, avoid the ones with tips like these:

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...Hex-Driver-Set

They will round out fast. It's not worth saving $7 over the good set.
Atomic Skull is offline Find More Posts by Atomic Skull
Last edited by Atomic Skull; Oct 15, 2012 at 07:35 PM.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 11:39 PM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
12,636 Posts
I think the align pro slider will work with the plastic tail. Anyone else know?
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 15, 2012, 11:50 PM
United States, MI, Paw Paw
Joined Sep 2011
4,110 Posts
I am officially 90% ready to go. The radio is set, the manual servo adjustments are set, gyro gain is set, pitch is set, just need a break in the weather! Rain+wind the last week and a half literally almost every single day. Also waiting on my new canopy but the stock one is fine for the maiden.
3d astronaut is offline Find More Posts by 3d astronaut
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Fatshark Attitude 1.3ghz