HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 18, 2012, 10:21 PM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
12,229 Posts
No you can get them for $150 I did and liquid did give or take $10 or $20 unless your up against someone like us lol! The 500e was to be aligns RTF 500. It was one of the first to be sold only with all the electronics. In fact my box said it was a combo. Align took all that worked well on the previous models threw in a few plastic parts that a beginner would break and called it a day. Remember this kit came out when everyone was telling align no one wanted the "500" size and their own 550 was taking off really well as well as the HK500. Align was starting to give up on the whole 500. The E was a complete refinement of the their first 500 of everything that worked.

Next batteries started coming out with 25 and 35C rating and the FBL head that has now put the 500 back into main stream. Before I fly my 500pro people at the field are always like "Oh it's just a nice looking old 500. After I fly people are like "What the hell did you do to that thing? your blades are going to fly apart!" lol!! "It's so smooth and solid." It basically flies just like a modified 12cell 600pro just a little smaller
mhills51 is online now Find More Posts by mhills51
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 19, 2012, 12:28 AM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2007
4,497 Posts
Well, I want that Align 500E and will look around some more. Time is kind of money to me, and I don't really enjoy trolling for deals. Worst case, I'll get the EXI 500 to replace the HK and balance out the cost I guess.

Ugh, also I could just work on this thing until it flies well. I purchased the Spring servos from Goodluckbuy on the 13th, and they apparently shipped today.

I mean it just needs the tail and good main gear OWB assembly. then put on the RJX head, and it is fine. I spend too much time thinking about this hobby. Oh yeah, I have the cool looking CopterX gold swash to use with the RJX also.

edit -> I bought this like 4 months ago, but never used. I used the 450 version of this up till now, and it is of very good quality. As good as Align. Hopefully better than Tarot 500, I haven't installed this, but hoping for the best as far as link clearance.
http://www.ehirobo.com/shop/CopterX-...duct_info.html
eagle777 is offline Find More Posts by eagle777
Last edited by eagle777; Aug 19, 2012 at 12:50 AM.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 12:58 AM
KoOl BrEeZe
Joined Feb 2012
597 Posts
On my phone..so sux to type here..don't get the exi..I'll troll a deal for you..lol..I checked eBay and super x does not seem to have one now..I always seem to find them with the best deals...I do like those new fan dangled swashplates they have out now..not that I need one,,but want one anyways..
****** exi--hk same heli rite mhills ?
LiQuid*Xion is offline Find More Posts by LiQuid*Xion
Old Aug 19, 2012, 01:15 AM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2007
4,497 Posts
Heh, I'll just stick with what I have I guess. Like I said, it's all there. The inherent problems with my 2nd HK 500 heli left a bad taste.

So the upgraded HK (not hexed or crashed, two good flights total) 500 will have:

RJX head
CopterX swash
Decent fiberglass blades
Spring cyclic servos
ZYX-S
Align tail rotor case
A less sucky canopy

That's about it. I should look into DFC heads in the future, but they will make no difference to me right now..
Old Aug 19, 2012, 01:33 AM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2007
4,497 Posts
You guys saved me $250+, thanks. I'm using it to replace the windshield on my car next week.
Last edited by eagle777; Aug 19, 2012 at 01:52 AM. Reason: Actually more like $500 over the past week. I should save for retirement sometime.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 02:21 PM
KoOl BrEeZe
Joined Feb 2012
597 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle777 View Post
You guys saved me $250+, thanks. I'm using it to replace the windshield on my car next week.
Driving behind dump-trucks ? Retirement ? Just a few short years ago i had a 401k and a savings..Now its pretty much just a 401k..
Old Aug 19, 2012, 08:56 PM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2007
4,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiQuid*Xion View Post
Driving behind dump-trucks ? Retirement ? Just a few short years ago i had a 401k and a savings..Now its pretty much just a 401k..
I have a window crack across my direct line of sight, and it's driving me nuts.

I flew the 450 today, and am finally getting rainbows. The first 500 has the OWB slipping also. I might try the green locktite on that and see how long that fix lasts.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 09:09 PM
KoOl BrEeZe
Joined Feb 2012
597 Posts
Delete..Rubbish was written.
Last edited by LiQuid*Xion; Aug 19, 2012 at 09:29 PM.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 09:13 PM
Just fly
Australia, VIC, Glen Waverley
Joined Jan 2011
2,103 Posts
hahaha. your lovin that 500E
evltoy is offline Find More Posts by evltoy
Old Aug 19, 2012, 09:21 PM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2007
4,497 Posts
Neh, but thanks The 1st 500 has the Align MG cyclic and Futaba S9257 tail, Align tail, RJX head, Align swash, CC 75, 500L motor.. It flies very well and is very reliable (first problem I've had for a couple months), but the main and auto gear + bearing case is still HK. It's the last HK moving part I have on it. If it doesn't work, I'll just get this again http://helidirect.com/align-main-gea...ro-p-24717.hdx I haven't had any problem with the HK main or auto gears on the belt drive helis.

The second will be about the same for $75 in additional parts, and I'm OK with that.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 09:23 PM
KoOl BrEeZe
Joined Feb 2012
597 Posts
lol...I really am wayne..I hate to bad mouth the hk500 in this thread. It is what it is, Good times -bad times..( just a few to many bad for me) ..I look back at all the unnecessary bench time i had with the two hk's i had..Then just after flying this one for only two weeks its just a night and day difference. Ther is 0 fuss. Like mhills says just put it together and forget about it..Its very trustworthy. I'll get off this 500E kick I'm on and lay low in here,,ha ha
Old Aug 19, 2012, 09:26 PM
KoOl BrEeZe
Joined Feb 2012
597 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle777 View Post
Neh, but thanks The 1st 500 has the Align MG cyclic and Futaba S9257 tail, Align tail, RJX head, Align swash, CC 75, 500L motor.. It flies very well and is very reliable (first problem I've had for a couple months), but the main and auto gear + bearing case is still HK. It's the last HK moving part I have on it. If it doesn't work, I'll just get this again http://helidirect.com/align-main-gea...ro-p-24717.hdx I haven't had any problem with the HK main or auto gears on the belt drive helis.

The second will be about the same for $75 in additional parts, and I'm OK with that.
Ahhhhh...I hear ya..Those are nice electronics. If i had all that in them i would not sell either. All said and done you cant really call them hk's anymore I was thinking you had two basic kits with basic electronics..My bad .
Old Aug 19, 2012, 09:30 PM
Just fly
Australia, VIC, Glen Waverley
Joined Jan 2011
2,103 Posts
lol.. all good Liquid! after my 550 build I'll get a 500E.

The more people post about the issues with the HK the more I see it being the TT and CMT versions.
evltoy is offline Find More Posts by evltoy
Old Aug 19, 2012, 09:48 PM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2007
4,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiQuid*Xion View Post
Ahhhhh...I hear ya..Those are nice electronics. If i had all that in them i would not sell either. All said and done you cant really call them hk's anymore I was thinking you had two basic kits with basic electronics..My bad .
If you can pick up a second hand $40 HK kit like I did, and replace all the parts that move, it could be a decent heli for about the same price as an Align Super Combo, possibly with better electronic parts. I dunno if that is the right way to go, but it is one way to do it. The drawback is the HK is worth not much if you try to sell it. I wasn't planning on selling it anyway really.

I went with the RJX head on the second one, as I had already purchased it. I'd like to try the DFC soon though, and will probably get one for the 1st 500 this year.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 05:16 PM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,778 Posts
Not trying to hi-jack this thread, but I am blowing this this 500 Heli out, and I would love for someone to enjoy it that knows the gear.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1714968

$215 shipped.

New Heli, New motor, HV Gyro, custom canopy.
johnnyrocco123 is offline Find More Posts by johnnyrocco123