HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 14, 2012, 10:38 PM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2007
4,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhills51 View Post
Something don't sound right. It should not be coming close. Do you think your oneway may have slipped. Adjusting the collar will just add unwanted slop. I would take it out and see if your one way is level with the top of the gear after you remove the one way bearing shaft.
Well I learned something today. Thanks mhills I pressed in the bearing to flush with the top of the main gear case. Does this gear/frame clearance look about correct?

Received the new batteries today, I hope I get 100+ cycles I'll check out Gens Ace later also.
eagle777 is offline Find More Posts by eagle777
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 14, 2012, 11:07 PM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Nov 2010
2,268 Posts
Yeah....I can't wait for another Gen Ace sale. These 6s packs are not cheap
ridge_racer is online now Find More Posts by ridge_racer
Old Aug 14, 2012, 11:12 PM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2007
4,497 Posts
Why would the bearing slip? Too loose? It was somewhat hard to press back into the collet. When I built this heli a few pages ago:

It'll just slip again I assume...And I guess I need a better part. Two easy flights is all this had...Is that why you all buy Align main gear assemblies?
Old Aug 14, 2012, 11:32 PM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2007
4,497 Posts
I'm getting kind of bummed about the whole HK500GT project #2, and HK heli clones in general. I had had a HK 450v2 FB that had pretty substandard parts also, and went EXI from there.

I think I am finally starting to see the advantage of the $50 more Align kit, the 3 EXI 450s has never given me problems. I could have gone with a EXI Carbon 500, but this fell in my lap and I just built it. Pretty disappointed.

My first HK500 was slowly replaced with Align and I never noticed issues, cuz I destroyed most of the HK parts in crashes. Now, it seems pretty apparent I'd have to replace the same parts one by one over time. Sorry to be a bummer, but most here already know this.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 11:53 PM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
11,767 Posts
Glad you found it. Align screws up every now and then as well. The first batch of 500pros had the one way slipping as well. You had to take it out clean everything and green loctite it back into place. Also people were complaining that they had to use too many spacers on the new main shafts. So align jumped right out and shortened the shafts. Well now it looks like they went too far and some people are having trouble putting in the shaft without any spacers. lol!
mhills51 is online now Find More Posts by mhills51
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 15, 2012, 12:04 AM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2007
4,497 Posts
I could also sell it for $50 shipped with the cyclic servos. Would that be a good classified?

Nah, I'll just put the RJX head, new blades, and ZYX-S gyro. YEP 100A ESC, Spring cyclic servos, new Align main gear assembly, new Align plastic tail assembly, and that about all I'll need for a sweet HK500GT clone to fly circuits
Old Aug 15, 2012, 12:28 AM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2007
4,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhills51 View Post
Glad you found it.
Seriously, thanks for the help.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 01:19 AM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,594 Posts
I had a strange thing happen to my 500. I've been noticeing alot of gear dust after flights, but thought it was normal. Then at the end of my last flight i heard a 'ticking' and noticed the tail start wagging. After landing and inspecting all the gears, i noticed a flat spot had developed on the main gear causing the slipping. I always try to get perfect mesh with the main gear, so i ruled that out as the cause, (unless the motor was shifting but that was tight). I also noticed some up and down play with the main gear. I thought it was a bad owb, but after inspecting that it looks and feels good. I'm using an align hub w/owb, align main and auto gears, a 10t revco pinion, and running a pretty conservitive head speed (which is hard to do with the typhoon 500 motor on 6s).

I've put the stock owb hub back in, and reset the mesh, but have not had a chance to test it.

Has anyone here had this problem? And what was the cause?
kdean is online now Find More Posts by kdean
Old Aug 15, 2012, 06:57 AM
Just fly
Australia, VIC, Glen Waverley
Joined Jan 2011
2,014 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdean View Post
I had a strange thing happen to my 500. I've been noticeing alot of gear dust after flights, but thought it was normal. Then at the end of my last flight i heard a 'ticking' and noticed the tail start wagging. After landing and inspecting all the gears, i noticed a flat spot had developed on the main gear causing the slipping. I always try to get perfect mesh with the main gear, so i ruled that out as the cause, (unless the motor was shifting but that was tight). I also noticed some up and down play with the main gear. I thought it was a bad owb, but after inspecting that it looks and feels good. I'm using an align hub w/owb, align main and auto gears, a 10t revco pinion, and running a pretty conservitive head speed (which is hard to do with the typhoon 500 motor on 6s).

I've put the stock owb hub back in, and reset the mesh, but have not had a chance to test it.

Has anyone here had this problem? And what was the cause?
Check the backlash & mesh with the main gear to the tail drive pully if running belt. The dust is caused from the gear wearing out.

I had this problem and found that the tail drive pully was not meshing well with the main gear and had to slot the frame to bring the tail block in towards the main gear. Since then I have not had any more dust.
evltoy is offline Find More Posts by evltoy
Old Aug 15, 2012, 07:36 AM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
11,767 Posts
I remember someone writing about the revco pinions were not the same cut/pitch as the align. I can't remember if it was at the beginning of this thread or a 450, but worth looking into.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 15, 2012, 11:08 AM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,594 Posts
Im running an align tt tail section, and never had a problem with the tail and auto gear mesh.

I've been using a revco 12t with no problems. I orderd the 12t and the 10t because the 11t was out of stock at the time. I now have an 11t to complete the set (12t,11t,10t) all revco. I've got a 15t revco in my hk600 with align main gears and no problems.

Could it be that the 10t is just too small of a pinion??? If i see alot of gear dust again i'll try the 11t.
kdean is online now Find More Posts by kdean
Old Aug 15, 2012, 04:23 PM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
11,767 Posts
Wow I didn't see that it was a 10t. I know that was bad on the 450's but I didn't even know they made a 10. What motor are you running? I'm sure it's fast, I have seen you tearing up the skies on your videos lol!
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 15, 2012, 04:31 PM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,658 Posts
Gaui 500 Brand New, Good Servos, (2) 6s lipos all new!

Smokin Deal!

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1712493
johnnyrocco123 is online now Find More Posts by johnnyrocco123
Old Aug 15, 2012, 09:31 PM
KoOl BrEeZe
Joined Feb 2012
597 Posts
So get this and you heard it here first..( this time for reals ) I am done done done with align 70amp esc..Never again..This recent one i just bought again both brown capacitors. ( i think thats what they are....Filter dirty electricity ) Both of them vibrated off in flight..And this was on my new align 500e..Flys silky smooth..Or so it did..Anyways I'm wondering if ther is a market for these align 70amp esc for those with good enough soldering skills to re-attach ? only having it for a few flights really grinds my gears..So I'm looking into a hobbywing 80 or a yep.. More then likely a hobbywing..Hate waiting 3 weeks on hk. I say we all ban together and say no more to align esc's..over the past two years they sure have gotten sloppy.....P.s nice ride ther jhonny..Why dont you part that bad boy out and sell me that Ice 75...ha
LiQuid*Xion is offline Find More Posts by LiQuid*Xion
Old Aug 15, 2012, 09:34 PM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Nov 2010
2,268 Posts
3 weeks for the YEP from HK...?? Maybe 10 days if that's all you are ordering..
ridge_racer is online now Find More Posts by ridge_racer