Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 18, 2012, 06:55 PM
Just fly
Australia, VIC, Glen Waverley
Joined Jan 2011
2,066 Posts
Never had a static issue with the HK metal frame(GT) with alloy boom. I did ready that some people had issues with the CF frame and static

With the silicon spray.. After I have done around 5 session (1 session = 4packs) I spray the belt. I also changed my belt at the 64 flight mark and the belt was still in perfect condtion. If you find the belt looking dry, spary it.
evltoy is offline Find More Posts by evltoy
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 18, 2012, 06:59 PM
Just fly
Joined Jan 2011
2,066 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiQuid*Xion View Post
Tail kick: Somebody correct me if I'm wrong. But i recall reading back a few months ago this was due to tail blades not being able to keep up with main blades for a mere split second. hence the tail kick out...So i can agree with Tc being closer in pattern and not such an aggressive jump..I also read another cure for this was larger tail blades. Just a few mm helps. Again just what i read. No real life experience with this.
This is correct. I was having issues with this back in Jan-Feb when I was at the hover testing stage of the heli.

I did change my tail blades to Align (slightly bigger) down the tack and found I have to drop the gain and add some expo or DR to the rudder channel too.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 07:11 PM
KoOl BrEeZe
Joined Feb 2012
597 Posts
Ok..I will pick up some silicone spray seeing how this Helli has cf frames. And they say belt is simple and maintenance free..pfffttttttt All hail to T.T i say..*joke*
LiQuid*Xion is offline Find More Posts by LiQuid*Xion
Old Jul 18, 2012, 07:40 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,062 Posts
The static thing really depends on the quality of ur electrics
stingeragents is offline Find More Posts by stingeragents
Old Jul 18, 2012, 07:50 PM
Just fly
Joined Jan 2011
2,066 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stingeragents View Post
The static thing really depends on the quality of ur electrics
Can you explain in detail what you mean by this?

As far as I remember the static was generated by the belt at a certain rpm and the only way to prevent a brown out was to ground the boom to the motor mount.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 08:21 PM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
12,097 Posts
The whole static fear was two things. One electronics. The early spektrum RX would brown out with just about anything. Two the formula Align used on it's belts again early on turned them into Tesla coils lol! Both have been for the most part taken care of. Like stingeragents said today it mostly depends on the quality of electronics. With that in mind if you think your equipment may be susceptible to heavy static you should ground everything. Now days you get more static just off the blades.
mhills51 is offline Find More Posts by mhills51
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 18, 2012, 08:30 PM
Just fly
Joined Jan 2011
2,066 Posts
So your saying that the better quality electronic has a higer tolarence of static which would minimise a brown out more often, but he likehood of it happening is still there. therfore grounding is still needed?

Or was this static topic only based on the spektrum RX

I'm running cheap electonics in my heli and have never had a issue with static or brown outs.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 08:43 PM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
12,097 Posts
Most of the electronics are tested for static. I toured the Castle Creations plant in Olathe KS and they actually have a metal cage with copper all around it for testing.

Yes most if not all the early problems were with spektrum/JR rx's until these new ultra cheap gyros came around. Now static has popped it ugly head back out.

I am also referring to the Align or Align clone 500's other helicopter makers still have belt static issues. (protos/Logo) instead of changing the belts people with these kits just learned to ground everything or add static whips
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 18, 2012, 09:01 PM
Just fly
Joined Jan 2011
2,066 Posts
I also did read that having a CF frame somehow amplified the static problem... Hence the reason I went with a metal frame
Old Jul 18, 2012, 09:27 PM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
12,097 Posts
It shouldn't. Sometimes people forget that CF conducts electricity sometimes better than metal and most of the metal has anodizing that keeps it from conducting. Static is all around a helicopter the only thing you can do is try to channel it, shield from it or ground it. You really can't ground it, but you can make it more friendly by making all the areas either negative or positive connecting it to one end of your battery. That is what most people do when they say ground it.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 18, 2012, 09:36 PM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
12,097 Posts
I just about got my 500pro back up. I am putting the Align 510 servos in it and a MKS DS-8910A+ tail servo. So now it has all quality electronics in it. I also had to replace the blade grip bearings. After the new feathering shaft it was really notchy. I replaced those with quality AVID metal bearings and its smooth as silk. They are used almost as much if not more (cheaper price) as boca in the RC car world. About a dollar a bearing. They have ceramic for $5 a bearing, but in high impact areas you will just destroy them anyway.

You know what all this means? That's right, I'll end up plowing it into the ground again
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 19, 2012, 04:33 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Dec 2003
2,305 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by evltoy View Post
Never had a static issue with the HK metal frame(GT) with alloy boom. I did ready that some people had issues with the CF frame and static

With the silicon spray.. After I have done around 5 session (1 session = 4packs) I spray the belt. I also changed my belt at the 64 flight mark and the belt was still in perfect condtion. If you find the belt looking dry, spary it.
Do you remove the belt from the boom and doesn't this spray make the belt slippery?

It's the first time I hear someone doing this
RNAF is offline Find More Posts by RNAF
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 19, 2012, 06:52 AM
Wilmington, N.C.
Joined Jan 2008
203 Posts
No leave tail assembled and manualy turn head giving a quick shot through tail case a few times up into the boom
darkseacret is offline Find More Posts by darkseacret
Old Jul 19, 2012, 07:57 AM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
12,097 Posts
I have never used silicon spray on a belt something about lubricating a cogged belt or any belt
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 19, 2012, 05:05 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,062 Posts
evltoy. Took my heli for just a hover last night. Was checking out the tail and sure enough, I don't have full movement to the left side of tail slider, so that very well could be my problem. Not gonna get to fly tonight, but I'll have to change that in the tarot programming to get full movement. Not sure what happened as when I set it up it had full movement left and right. I'm assuming (and hoping) that is the problem as it will be a super easy fix.
stingeragents is offline Find More Posts by stingeragents