HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 22, 2012, 12:16 AM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2007
4,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhills51 View Post
Nice! well I have had it!! I'm going to join the http://www.rctankhq.com/ forget these things. If man was meant to fly he would have wings.
Those guys are crazy! Un-believable videos. I'll just go with my original plan of a 6 cell 450 next though. I'm getting to the age where I can't handle the adrenaline rush of tank combat.
eagle777 is offline Find More Posts by eagle777
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 22, 2012, 01:27 AM
KoOl BrEeZe
Joined Feb 2012
597 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhills51 View Post
If your going to spend that kind of money I would look at a logo 500. Parts for the x5 are about as hard to come by as a logo. Everyone seems to carry x5 parts, but for some reason are always sold out.The logo is hands down one sweet heli. The align to me is nothing more than a sporty 600. Just like the x5 the logos are sized different. logo 400 is a 500. logo 500 is a 600 so on and so on
The logo..ther is an idea. Will have to give them a look. I'm looking for that tweener size I have a 450-500-600..wanting something swinging 525 blades on 6s..only something different. Like so many I have cut my teeth on align and clones of align. Learned them inside and out and a new design would be interesting. So you don't think the x5 is very punchy or quick? ...whatcha go a do with your 500 sales money hills?
LiQuid*Xion is offline Find More Posts by LiQuid*Xion
Old Jun 22, 2012, 02:04 AM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,969 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiQuid*Xion View Post
I'll check em out evltoy....man, past two weeks I'm just racking my brain on what heli I would like to go with next. Like mhills I will sell one of my 500s and put the money towards an align 550 or the gaui x5..I'm really leaning towards the x5....for the lngest time I was wanting the x7. Just to darn expensive. Anybody here have the gaui x5 ? Or flown one?
The X5 is an amazing heli and the super combo is very good value for the quality you get. It also flies very well and is very reliable, requiring little maintenance, over time.

It has more power than the 550 and is more agile. Batteries are also a little cheaper as the X5 uses 3800-4200mah and the 550 more like 4600-5000mah.

I enjoyed building the X5, but I should say I enjoyed building the Align 500EFL Pro more.

I haven't had any problems, so I haven't needed any parts (touch wood), but if you do, Infinity Hobby and Flying Hobby carry a good stock.

Here's my mini build thread. I must take a flight video one day.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1586897
beenflying is offline Find More Posts by beenflying
Old Jun 22, 2012, 09:31 AM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
12,791 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiQuid*Xion View Post
The logo..ther is an idea. Will have to give them a look. I'm looking for that tweener size I have a 450-500-600..wanting something swinging 525 blades on 6s..only something different. Like so many I have cut my teeth on align and clones of align. Learned them inside and out and a new design would be interesting. So you don't think the x5 is very punchy or quick? ...whatcha go a do with your 500 sales money hills?
If it's different you want the logo is the most different other than the goblin. It puts the three servos in a tri around the main. The body is a Exoskeleton making it ultra light and it uses herringbone gears. In full discloser you have to ground the tail good.

The money from the 500 is already spent. That is my problem.
mhills51 is online now Find More Posts by mhills51
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 22, 2012, 11:04 AM
KoOl BrEeZe
Joined Feb 2012
597 Posts
Thanks for the input guys...thanks for the link beenflying. That will be a huge help, will read thru it later today after work.
Old Jun 23, 2012, 12:58 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,062 Posts
From what I read over the last couple hours about the X5, it is a very snappy and quick heli. Moreso than align. Just what I read, no personal experience. Now, onto my 500. Since I got the parts in, was starting to fix her up last night. Well if anyone remember's my boom slipping out on the last flight attempt I made, well when I fixed it, I really cranked the screws down and applied a tad bit too much locktite. Needless to say I had to slot about 10 screws last night to get them out.Luckily I also ordered a spare screw set. The only screw I couldn't get out, and couldn't slot was the one that holds the tail hub to the tail shaft. Had to break the umbrella gear to get the assemble out of the tail case from the other side. So now I need a new tail hub. I got 2 new ones but they are for the pro grips which the HK grips won't fit on. sigh. more waiting on another part. Also decided that I will keep it FB. After closely examing the rjx head, one of the grip arms is also bent, so will cost about 40ish with shipping to fix that head.
stingeragents is offline Find More Posts by stingeragents
Old Jun 23, 2012, 02:02 PM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
12,791 Posts
Did you heat up those screws? I know it seems funny, but a few minutes with the soldering iron will save a lot of frustration. If I give them a good tug and they don't break I reach for the soldering gun. If that don't work I reach for the gun.

Got my Align 500e all together. There is a lot to be said about nylon/plastic I love it. Everything is nice and tight without any slop and as long as you reverse to a thread they can be used time after time without loctite. This kit is actually the final standard version Align 500 and they went back to nylon on a lot of the parts. The clones use aluminum because in the long run it's cheaper. No expensive molds to maintain. A small shop in China can make 1000 metal helicopters a week with just one CNC some extra bits and some substandard metal.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 23, 2012, 02:13 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,062 Posts
Yea I heated them up with soldering iron but to no avail. Really, slotting the screws isn't very hard. It's just the ones that you can't slot (like a grub screw) where it gets to be a pain. I even tried jb welding an allen wrench into the screw but that didn't work either. Suppose I could drill the screw out but that would probably mess up the threads and I don't have a tap/die set. Not sure all that hassle would even be worth it for a part that costs like 10 bucks,lol. I was real upset though.I thought I would have it flylable today until I ran into that snag.Was even contemplating taking the tail grips off my titan x50 and trying to rig them on there but decided against it. Too bad my stupid LHS doesn't carry crap for align. All they ever have is blade stuff. grrrrrr ... I think they should make the grub screws a few mm longer to where you could at least get some pliers on it or something
Old Jun 23, 2012, 03:27 PM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
12,791 Posts
I had a grub screw split in half before total loss.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 23, 2012, 05:10 PM
KoOl BrEeZe
Joined Feb 2012
597 Posts
Agree sting. Wish they would make grub screws a lil longer. Worse case scenario, just drill it out and buy a new pinion I guess. Same way with tail fins on the 500, I have always thought they should make em a few mm longer to avoid tail strikes. Its a conspiracy I say..lol
Old Jun 23, 2012, 09:04 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,062 Posts
Fusuno makes XL tail fins
Old Jun 23, 2012, 09:33 PM
Just fly
Australia, VIC, Glen Waverley
Joined Jan 2011
2,103 Posts
I have a HK600 CF tail fin that one of you guys advised me to change.

The 600 fin seems to look much better fitted to the 500 then the kit one. I have a belt version so I will not benifit from the change, but I like the looks of it. I will have to install tomorrow as I hve a bleeding hangover.... darn weddings!
evltoy is offline Find More Posts by evltoy
Old Jun 23, 2012, 10:28 PM
KoOl BrEeZe
Joined Feb 2012
597 Posts
Ahhhhh how soon you fellas forget wher you get this info from. How was the wedding evl ? Bridesmaids. Thumbs up or down ? ha
Old Jun 23, 2012, 11:09 PM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
12,791 Posts
I have two sets of the fusuno XL for my 500. Hobby king sells them cheaper if you are getting a lot of stuff to save on shipping.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 23, 2012, 11:12 PM
Just fly
Australia, VIC, Glen Waverley
Joined Jan 2011
2,103 Posts
I knew its was one of you guys. haha .. didnt want to offend by saying the wrong person

Wedding was fantasic. Brides second marrage, but this wedding was far more enjoyable.. nice bloke too. 2 thumbs up for the only one Bridemaids which was my wife. hahaha.

My head hurts going to take me a week to get over one night out... so not cut up for this anymore
evltoy is offline Find More Posts by evltoy