SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 25, 2012, 09:07 PM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2007
4,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by naryan View Post
So are you saying you are sick of the hobby? There have been a few times that I have been really frustrated and kind of wished that I hadn't got into helicopters.

It truly is an addiction for me, for the past year with a few short breaks I have eaten, slept, and worked for helis. It's crazy, I've never been into a hobby as much as this with the possibly exception of cycling. I used to do tons of riding and competed in ultra endurance mtn bike races. With two kids I don't have that kind of time to train anymore. I guess I was the same way about that hobby, most things were centered around it. I planned my work day around being able to eat right, get my workouts in, ect. My last big race was about a year ago, a 100 mile mtn bike race that took 13hrs and had 16k ft of climbing.

With helicopters I get the satisfaction of doing a lot of research and learning, working on something mechanical, and the excitement of flying. The wrenching on the helis is a big thing for me, I love working on mechanical things but spend most of my day behind a computer. The challenge of learning new moves really keeps me interested too. Not to mention meeting new people that love to fly. I've found that most people that stick with the hobby are very passionate about it. It can be a financial and emotional burden. I told my wife before that I have never had a hobby with such highs and lows as rc helicopters.
The last part was tongue in cheek (done with the hobby after I get all this stuff done and probably fly some more, but that's it for sure.) Not very funny now that I look back on it. :/

When things take a long time on the bench, or am fixing something after I crashed and didn't have very much fun that day, I start thinking I should do something better with my time and money. But I just keep coming back. I would like to learn how to do a tick-tock at least.
eagle777 is offline Find More Posts by eagle777
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 25, 2012, 09:31 PM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
12,498 Posts
I have had that one in for three years now, but only about 90 flights and two bad crashes. It is acting like a standard servo in digital mode without any pressure.

I am looking forward to how well these springRC servos work on my pro. If they perform well they may be the next cheapest at $25 a piece .08sec . Not bad for a digital coreless servo.
mhills51 is offline Find More Posts by mhills51
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 25, 2012, 11:20 PM
Joined Jul 2011
1,389 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhills51 View Post
I have had that one in for three years now, but only about 90 flights and two bad crashes. It is acting like a standard servo in digital mode without any pressure.

I am looking forward to how well these springRC servos work on my pro. If they perform well they may be the next cheapest at $25 a piece .08sec . Not bad for a digital coreless servo.
can u tell where I may find or buy springrc servos. I am looking for alternate servos options for my new projects 500 clone.
wlee1017 is offline Find More Posts by wlee1017
Old Apr 25, 2012, 11:29 PM
Knobbs
Friday Harbor, WA -San Juan Island
Joined Aug 2008
475 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiQuid*Xion View Post
Ouch..without looking arnt those radios like $400 ?? I have a dx7 for the past few years and it does such a great job I rarely browse for an upgrade. First $400 I can get my hands on will be getting this 600 in the airwolf. Of course will have to put up with a screaming wife for a few hours. ha ( I hear those aurora's are nice however )
You can find good used JR 9303s for under $300. Love mine. It's a native 72mhz with a 2.4 module. Never a twitch of issue. Loads of programming can be done if you desire. Plus, it leaves all the HH BNF stuff availiable.

Rishelman
Rishelman is offline Find More Posts by Rishelman
Old Apr 26, 2012, 08:14 AM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
12,498 Posts
rc711.com for the springrc servos.
mhills51 is offline Find More Posts by mhills51
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 26, 2012, 11:18 AM
Joined Jul 2011
1,389 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhills51 View Post
rc711.com for the springrc servos.
Thanks. I did order some parts from them before.
wlee1017 is offline Find More Posts by wlee1017
Old Apr 26, 2012, 11:19 AM
Dongskie
Philippines, NCR, Mandaluyong City
Joined Jul 2007
1,077 Posts
How many Kv?

Quote:
Originally Posted by naryan View Post
Dongskie is offline Find More Posts by Dongskie
Old Apr 26, 2012, 12:06 PM
Rotor Addict
United States, VA, Leesburg
Joined Dec 2008
567 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dongskie View Post
How many Kv?
I had enough fun, and close calls with the crazy drivers around this area. I get my thrills now with the helis....

...and this...

naryan is offline Find More Posts by naryan
Old Apr 26, 2012, 12:40 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,062 Posts
Ford? Nooooooo. Sorry. I had 2 mustang's in my lifetime and nothing but problems. Sell that and get a BMW 3 series and never look back
stingeragents is offline Find More Posts by stingeragents
Old Apr 26, 2012, 12:55 PM
Rotor Addict
Joined Dec 2008
567 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stingeragents View Post
Ford? Nooooooo. Sorry. I had 2 mustang's in my lifetime and nothing but problems. Sell that and get a BMW 3 series and never look back
This is my first American car that I've ever owned. Two cars ago I had a BMW 540i 6spd sport package. That car was awesome, it was pretty reliable but the few things it needed were outrageous. I love driving, if I was mainly concerned about reliability I would have bought a Honda or Toyota....snoooooze. The first time I drove the new 5.0 I was sold!

I do miss this one sometimes...

So did you get a test flight in?
Old Apr 26, 2012, 02:12 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,062 Posts
No not yet, have been delaying it. Might try today. To my knowledge, any new bmw has 5 years included maintenance. Or maybe its 4 years, and that includes oil changes, and all that not just big stuff. I'd really love to have an audi s5 though or the supercharged a7
stingeragents is offline Find More Posts by stingeragents
Old Apr 26, 2012, 02:16 PM
KoOl BrEeZe
Joined Feb 2012
597 Posts
any of you guys ever run into this problem. A few weeks ago I bought this tarot 500 swash plate for an upgrade over the hk. Only problem is all the linkage rods in a spin will slightly bump the swash plate itself. Ther is no clearance. Only think i know to do is sand down the link rods a bit. But do i really want to even do that ? did i just get a bad tarot swash ?
LiQuid*Xion is offline Find More Posts by LiQuid*Xion
Old Apr 26, 2012, 02:19 PM
Rotor Addict
Joined Dec 2008
567 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stingeragents View Post
No not yet, have been delaying it. Might try today. To my knowledge, any new bmw has 5 years included maintenance. Or maybe its 4 years, and that includes oil changes, and all that not just big stuff. I'd really love to have an audi s5 though or the supercharged a7
Don't get me wrong, I love BMW's. I would really like an S4 Avant. My years living in Germany gave me a taste for high performance wagons! I bought the Mustang largely because of the crazy performance to cost ratio. I can't really justify an M3, S4 or S5 at this stage in life.

And to keep this post related to helis....it's raining here today so I can't fly.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 02:20 PM
Rotor Addict
Joined Dec 2008
567 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiQuid*Xion View Post
any of you guys ever run into this problem. A few weeks ago I bought this tarot 500 swash plate for an upgrade over the hk. Only problem is all the linkage rods in a spin will slightly bump the swash plate itself. Ther is no clearance. Only think i know to do is sand down the link rods a bit. But do i really want to even do that ? did i just get a bad tarot swash ?
Something looks off....I'm just going off the top of my head but I think the top rotating piece isn't normally that flush with the base piece...huh.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 02:50 PM
South London United Kingdom
Joined Jun 2003
1,224 Posts
Hi RNAF

I have shown a couple of pictures on my 500GT with the 4000 Mah NanoTechs.
As you can see, fit a treat with no mods at all.
Have a look here
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Lipo_Pack.html
to get the dimensions of my batteries.
Seems that the NanoTechs are a bit bigger than normal, so my guess is yours will fit fine.
If not, there is a mod for people who must use 6s. Details here
http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=108787
but basically involves cutting the top of the frame and moving the battery tray about 1/2" down.
Not sure if it will be necessary but good to have a back up plan.

As regards the motor, I have only ever used the Hobbymate HB3650. This is a recommendation in itself, in that I have never felt the need to upgrade, but apart from that, it has been faultless.
Taken all that a noob can throw at it, and come back for more.
Price is not bad either
http://www.dealextreme.com/p/hobbyma...icopters-20083
Can't be bad.

LiQuid*Xion

Like the price of those LiPo's but I have a feeling they might be a little small. My 4000's give me an easy 6 min flight, with a bit in reserve to keep them in their comfort zone.
Might be worth a rethink,IMHO.

Hope this helps

BL
Border Lord is offline Find More Posts by Border Lord