HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 12, 2012, 06:30 PM
Just fly
Australia, VIC, Glen Waverley
Joined Jan 2011
2,103 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by swithers View Post
I have the kds flight system on my heli so using this system as my gryo.. sorry i dont understand what u say .. its me not u lol.. trims & sub trims r all set at 0.
But in headlock the tail slider moves to 1 side . I can use trim or sub trim to centre it .. Do i need to do this or will it b ok in flight ?.. Sorry im sure its simple stuff if u know ..
Easy fix.

Put you gyro in rate mode. You say it will centre. Now spool up the heli and if the tail starts to spin (it should) then shutdown and slide the tail servo either up or down the tail boom (small amounts). Spool up again.

Do this until the tail holds on lift off.

Next. If you have tail wag in rate mode... drop your gain. If you find the tail to drift a little.. add more gain until tail wag, then back off by 2-3 points.

Put your gyro into HH mode. You say it move to one side - how much to one side? You may have too much gain if it deflect all the way. Check your gain and test fly until no wag. No adjustments should be needed here other then gain.

If you have a pot to adjust throw - While in rate mode go full left and right on the sticks and make sure it doesnt bind (servo buzz) when going to either side. You should have more throw going in one direction as your tail is not centred and this will give you an even piro speed in both direction.

hope this helps.
evltoy is offline Find More Posts by evltoy
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 12, 2012, 06:36 PM
Just fly
Joined Jan 2011
2,103 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiQuid*Xion View Post
EVLTOY: " has anyone gone from Align parts back to HK before? " ...Lol.. I am betting you are the first. And on that subject, Last month i ordered some cheapie no name front t.t gears for one of my 500's. And "both" without even any decent flying stripped out on me. Has me a lil stumped. Anybody know if these cheaper front t.t gears are made with a cheaper plastic ?? ..So on order I have 2 ALIGN t.t gears and an auto gear. Hoping their is a diff. And not something else i am overlooking On these two stripped gears w/ no tail strikes.
From all the issues I here with TT I'm so glad I went belt.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 07:26 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,062 Posts
I here ya. Thinking about converting my tt to belt
stingeragents is offline Find More Posts by stingeragents
Old Apr 12, 2012, 07:34 PM
Just fly
Joined Jan 2011
2,103 Posts
To be honest.. I really cant see how the little benifets a TT will give you outways all the cons it offers.

ie, gear meshing issues, tube not straight, bearings going, tail blade hits and then the cost that relates to it. and then you have a 98% chance of breaking some part in the TT setup in a minor crash.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 08:43 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,062 Posts
You are definately right. Wish I had belt version. Did find gears real cheap from tarot but the tube itself is harder to find. If I go belt can I use the same boom case or do I need a new one
Old Apr 12, 2012, 09:10 PM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,713 Posts
My align tt upgrade has held up well throught my time of crashing. The gears did suprise me with thier durability, compared to the 450pro tt gears. I've bent the tail shaft twice, so bad that i had to cut them to get the bearings off, but the front tt gears held strong. The last crash came down hard on the tail and the tt gears did not strip. I guess im lucky.
kdean is offline Find More Posts by kdean
Old Apr 12, 2012, 09:18 PM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2007
4,497 Posts
I have the Align TT conversion kit, but am not committed to installing it. Is there any reason I'd want to install it now, instead of when I gain more skill and have less of a chance at stripping a gear?
No one I know runs a belt drive any more, but they are pretty advanced flyers & have all FBL 450-700 fleets.

edit/edit: In hindsight, I'll just keep my 500 a belt heli, and install the ZYX in it next month, after my experiences with the 450 ZYX conversion.
eagle777 is offline Find More Posts by eagle777
Last edited by eagle777; Apr 12, 2012 at 09:59 PM. Reason: Yeah. :) That's the plan.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 10:15 PM
KoOl BrEeZe
Joined Feb 2012
597 Posts
The ol' Belt vs. T.T,...Always an interesting debate. It really comes down to personal preference. I for one prefer t.t 100%. All my helis are t.t , My tail feels more locked in. Flights seem smoother. And more in control. Looking back i seem to have gotten better flight time as well with t.t . No static build up, No having to keep an eye on belt tension with every flight. A couple years ago I bought a belt drive 500. That lasted two months then i converted. The #1 cause of t.t gears stripping is a tail first landing. To avoid this one needs to pick up the "extra" long vertical tail fin. In my case I'm about 95% sure these last two gears i picked up were trying to save a buck And i ended up with cheap soft plastic. I'll know Monday when my aligns come in. If that does not do it. well then this hk500 is off in the transmission box by a millimeter or two somewhere .
LiQuid*Xion is offline Find More Posts by LiQuid*Xion
Old Apr 12, 2012, 10:19 PM
KoOl BrEeZe
Joined Feb 2012
597 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stingeragents View Post
You are definately right. Wish I had belt version. Did find gears real cheap from tarot but the tube itself is harder to find. If I go belt can I use the same boom case or do I need a new one
Same tube errrrrrrr you are talking about the tail boom rite ?
LiQuid*Xion is offline Find More Posts by LiQuid*Xion
Last edited by LiQuid*Xion; Apr 12, 2012 at 10:32 PM.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 03:21 AM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,713 Posts
@evltoy

I know this is not about the 500, but it has to do with the flybar paddles situation. I took my 600 out today, with the new align paddles, and turned my expo up to 45%' The twichyness is gone when hovering, but when i try to fly around the expo makes things too unpredictable. Im switching back to the hk paddles...
kdean is offline Find More Posts by kdean
Old Apr 13, 2012, 03:46 AM
Joined Jan 2011
1,062 Posts
@liquid, no not the tail boom, the case that the tail boom goes into in the frame. As far as the TT issue goes, I have stripped a gear on every single instance with my heli even with the XL tail fin. I mean, crashing doesn't help (yea yea), but soon as those blades touch the ground one of the gears is going. If it doesn't, well I guess your the lucky one cause I've went through about 7 gears in the last 2 months trying to get this heli right. If I had belt from the get go would have only been replacing booms and blades and maybe one of the main gears, instead of numerous TT's, and the front and rear gears. Update on my heli and getting it fixed. Will be ordering the parts on tuesday. Also picking up the few pieces I need to switch back to flybar if it comes to that (which I really hope it doesn't as I've spent a good bit of money on parts trying to get this fbl thing set up right).
Old Apr 13, 2012, 09:28 AM
Just fly
Joined Jan 2011
2,103 Posts
stingeragents - I really do feel your pain. I personaly havent had to go through that many crash's when I was starting off. I would go back to basic and go flybar and belt to cut the cost of crash's down. once you have it down-pat then go back the fbl. Once you have that sorted.. then move to TT if you think you need to.

kdean - I also felt the 500 to be a little lighter then what i'm used to after adding 30% expo and doing very fast fig 8's. The heli doesnt hold aswell when its at a 90 degree while banking... feels like it wants to drop out of the sky if I dont add input. It also seems that it keeps going in its direction unless I pull it back where as before the heli would sort of slow down or stop and I would have to give extra input to get it moving.
Its very hard to explain the feeling.

I will do a few more flights and if I feel that I cant get used to it I will go back to the HK paddles.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 10:37 AM
Rotor Addict
United States, VA, Leesburg
Joined Dec 2008
567 Posts
TT can be expensive to fix after crashes. My 500 is a belt but my 450 is TT. I'm a bit more adventurous with my 450 so it goes down occasionally. I'm actually thinking about switching it over to a belt tail to save on crash costs.

I'm flying the 500 for the first time in about 3wks today. My wife had our son a couple of weeks ago so I haven't had much heli time.

-Mike
naryan is offline Find More Posts by naryan
Old Apr 13, 2012, 10:58 AM
Axes & Blades-Cutlery & Helis
West Monroe NY
Joined Feb 2009
3,366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by naryan View Post
..... My wife had our son a couple of weeks ago so I haven't had much heli time.

-Mike
congratulations helis are the second coolest things in the world, kids are the first
ewoodcox is offline Find More Posts by ewoodcox
Old Apr 13, 2012, 01:42 PM
Rotor Addict
United States, VA, Leesburg
Joined Dec 2008
567 Posts
Got in 4 flights at lunch. I was a bit nervous at first since I hadn't flown in a few weeks but once I took off those feelings went away. I actually feel like I've gotten better and more confident after taking a break from flying for a bit. Anyone else every experience that?

After thinking about the TT thing a bit more I went and returned the parts I needed to fix up my 450 that I just bought and instead got a Align 500 Pro tail grips/hub, pitch assembly, metal pitch control arm and some Align 3K carbon tail blades. The tail had developed a lot of slop, maybe this will give me a bit better feeling in the tail. I like my 500 a lot more than my 450 anyways.. it can stay grounded for a little longer.

naryan is offline Find More Posts by naryan