HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 19, 2009, 03:50 AM
Joined Mar 2008
20 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcnewb
Twister -

No need for too much panic, the problem could be isolated, but chances are it's consistent throughout the early batches. I'm not sure if the HK-T500 has the same issue, the tail and head rotor assemblies are different on each of the models so it's not likely that the HK-T500 has the same problem. I've noticed that even moving the tail rotor by hand (at full speed) is difficult, so I'm not surprised the servo can't move it (even a 75 lb/in. servo would have a tough time moving the tail rotor). HC support has been emailed, we'll wait and see what they have to say, and whether or not they'll get the manufacturer to offer replacement parts...
rcnewb,

I agree, even with the extra cost of a new tail rotor ($12 for the Align plastic one) this kit is still superb value for money. I went for the plastic one because I am guessing that I can use the thrust bearings from the Align part in the HK tail and keep the grips and hub as spares.
st200ol is online now Find More Posts by st200ol
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 19, 2009, 04:49 AM
trex 500esp msh protos
south west uk
Joined Apr 2008
1,391 Posts
its no real big deal that it needs a different tail box to fly well,there are heli's out there costing a hell of a lot more that still need mods to perform properly

henry
henryd123 is offline Find More Posts by henryd123
Old Oct 19, 2009, 06:24 AM
Team Mulikow 3D
Oxfordshire, UK
Joined Jan 2007
4,138 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by st200oq\l
I have flown my 500GT now. My worries about the lack of thrust bearings in the tail rotor (found when checking for thread lock) have proven to be correct.

The tail wouldn't stay locked in at all, I also couldn't move it using rudder input. Very int1eresting setup hovers!

The higher the headspeed the worse it got, I have an Align DS520 on the tail Iam sure it was stalling.

I tried a lower headspeed and the tail became manageable, the opposite to what I expected, normally a higher headspeed will give better tail control. The problem then was the Heli was bouncing, headspeed was too low.

I gave up, I have ordered an Align tail rotor assy H50034, Iam hoping to have more luck with that.

I have a Bullet 500 which is another Trex500 clone made by Skya (who make the HK500GT), I had exactly the same problem - I replaced the tail rotor with the H50034T tail rotor and all is good http://www.allerc.com/product_info.php?products_id=3536

Mike.
MikeHRC is offline Find More Posts by MikeHRC
Old Oct 19, 2009, 08:06 AM
Gone Flying.
Western NY
Joined Nov 2006
2,401 Posts
That's a good price on the Align tail rotor part. I went with the all-metal CNC tail rotor holder from helidirect because it was only $7 more than the plastic Align version, and they always ship really fast.

I'm assuming those of you who had problems were obviously not able to fly until the part had been fully replaced.
ChrisWNY is offline Find More Posts by ChrisWNY
Old Oct 19, 2009, 08:56 AM
Team Mulikow 3D
Oxfordshire, UK
Joined Jan 2007
4,138 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcnewb
That's a good price on the Align tail rotor part. I went with the all-metal CNC tail rotor holder from helidirect because it was only $7 more than the plastic Align version, and they always ship really fast.

I'm assuming those of you who had problems were obviously not able to fly until the part had been fully replaced.
I only tried to hover - but tail was jumping with and rudder input, then not moving etc.
MikeHRC is offline Find More Posts by MikeHRC
Old Oct 19, 2009, 03:58 PM
Gone Flying.
Western NY
Joined Nov 2006
2,401 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by st200ol
rcnewb,

I agree, even with the extra cost of a new tail rotor ($12 for the Align plastic one) this kit is still superb value for money. I went for the plastic one because I am guessing that I can use the thrust bearings from the Align part in the HK tail and keep the grips and hub as spares.
Exactly. The thrust bearings will be the same whether you get the tail rotor with the metal or plastic grips, same thrust bearings either way.

I've never disassembled a tail rotor and replaced thrust bearings, the part should arrive Wednesday, can anyone add some quick tips on how to accomplish the part swap (i.e. type of grease used and where to buy it)?
Last edited by ChrisWNY; Oct 19, 2009 at 04:10 PM.
Old Oct 20, 2009, 10:29 AM
Joined Jun 2006
158 Posts
Excellent build thread Rcnewb, I'd considered the GT but after the issues I had with my T500, I didnt want to be the tester again. I'll pick up one of these at some point to use as a beater and practicing new aerobatics.
garlonbs is offline Find More Posts by garlonbs
Old Oct 20, 2009, 11:13 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2002
862 Posts
Hobby king switched to a new supplier on their HK 500 brand, The new supplier is much better quality then the previous one. All good clones coming out of China now is basically all from the same source.
wilerbee is offline Find More Posts by wilerbee
Old Oct 20, 2009, 12:30 PM
United States, NJ, Manville
Joined May 2006
1,578 Posts
Rcnewb you should use tri-flow lube and grease.....You can buy it here .....
http://stores.3dxhobbies.com/-strse-...%2C+Threadlock
skizziks is offline Find More Posts by skizziks
Old Oct 20, 2009, 12:40 PM
Gone Flying.
Western NY
Joined Nov 2006
2,401 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skizziks
Rcnewb you should use tri-flow lube and grease.....You can buy it here .....
http://stores.3dxhobbies.com/-strse-...%2C+Threadlock
Nice...I like the needle-applicator. Might have to go for that down the road when I restock on parts. For now, what do you think of using silicone-based grease? My tail rotor replacement arrives tomorrow so I am planning on buying the grease this evening at my hardware store just to get me by for now.
Old Oct 20, 2009, 01:42 PM
Joined Mar 2008
20 Posts
Hi,

I can report back that the H50034 Align part is a direct replacement for the HK500GT tail rotor, the parts look identical, I would not be suprised if they came from the same factory.

I removed the plain bearings from the HK500GT tail and replaced them with the thrust bearings from the Align rotor, had a very quick test, its a bit breezy here for a test hover and I run out of light, but it seems OK now. I have kept the rest of the parts for spares as I had hoped I could.

Now I just need decent weather so I can enjoy this Helicopter!
st200ol is online now Find More Posts by st200ol
Old Oct 20, 2009, 02:02 PM
Gone Flying.
Western NY
Joined Nov 2006
2,401 Posts
ST -

That's great news. The part I ordered is also listed as a drop-in replacement for the Align H50034 tail rotor. Glad that the part fixes the issue, it's a minor set-back (considering the low cost of the kit for a mostly metal head) but still believe that HC should be doing something about it.

Let us know how the first flight goes, and get some video posted if you can!
Old Oct 20, 2009, 04:04 PM
Gainesville, Florida
Joined Sep 2006
2,954 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan D
Like I said "you can use it but I wouldn't". I feel the extra insuranse and safety are worth $20 more. I guess that could be the difference between an extra battery for your 450...
I know people that use the 6200's on 250 size helos but because some one does something one way does not mean everyone has to do it that way.
I still have 72MHz on my .50 and .91 helos and people think that's just crazy but they have been that way for 10 years and work that way.
The AR6200 are the source of many "brownout" issues as the power bus is actually not as robust as the 6100. I would either go with a 6100 or a 7000........Ron
laughingstill is offline Find More Posts by laughingstill
Old Oct 20, 2009, 09:01 PM
Gone Flying.
Western NY
Joined Nov 2006
2,401 Posts
Any ideas on stores that might stock silicone-based grease? I checked the hardware store as well as home depot, no joy. All they have are lithium greases (huge tubes of it) and petroleum-based greases. Do the well-known auto parts stores have this crap?
Old Oct 21, 2009, 05:10 AM
Private Pilot
United States, CA, San Luis Obispo
Joined Jul 2009
1,273 Posts
dirtbike/motorcycle/atv shop
Twister773 is offline Find More Posts by Twister773