HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 28, 2012, 07:33 AM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
12,488 Posts
If I recall the futaba fit, but are loose. They just used loctite on the screw and tightened it down and seemed to work. Hope this helps.
mhills51 is offline Find More Posts by mhills51
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 28, 2012, 12:00 PM
Joined Jan 2012
229 Posts
Is the tail rudder control rod supose to flex as it leaves the last rod guide and clips onto the control arm? By flex I mean the gap between the tube and rod is greater at the control arm than at the last rod guide.

I believe its causing some binding, this can't be good for the tail servo. Has anyone else had this? Its almost like either the rod guides are to short, or the control arm sits to low.

Can I bend the rod slightly after the last rod guide so its travel thru the rod guide is smoother?
broderp is offline Find More Posts by broderp
Last edited by broderp; Feb 28, 2012 at 12:08 PM.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 12:26 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,062 Posts
Try and rotate it so its not directly under the boom. Like imagine the top of boom as north and right side of heli as seen from behind is east. Try and get the rod at south east
stingeragents is offline Find More Posts by stingeragents
Old Feb 28, 2012, 06:09 PM
Joined Jan 2012
229 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stingeragents View Post
Try and rotate it so its not directly under the boom. Like imagine the top of boom as north and right side of heli as seen from behind is east. Try and get the rod at south east
That helped a little , but if I go to far south east, I hit the support rod. I can see this curve in the rod. I'll try and post a pic to illustrate.

On a side note, i just came back from the RC Hobby Store with my new Align parts. I'm going to to try and resolve the gear mesh issue this evening. I also bought a new torque tube.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 07:06 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,062 Posts
My lhs only keeps stuff in stock for the 450. I don't think u can get it peferctly straight so a small curve is OK. You may also have to put ur tail servo at an angle to get that side close as well. Hope my friggin tail servo comes in tomorrow. haven't worked last couple days and have had no heli to fly. had to be flying the planes instead and its been real windy. Almost lost my edge 540 today as it was having too much trouble fighting the wind. Guess I'm gonna have to stick with the park jets on windy days, I've flown those in 30mph winds. 50mph plane + 30 mph winds = 80mph plane
Old Feb 28, 2012, 08:24 PM
Just fly
Australia, VIC, Glen Waverley
Joined Jan 2011
2,103 Posts
I just installed my 12t pinion. Spooled her up with 0 pitch and hit 2500hs at 55% on my throttle curve. With the 13t it was 50%. I know that under flying conditions the hs will be Lower so I had set my idle up curve to have a max of 65% and min of 55% (v curve).

Do you guys think that the 65% max in flying condition will give me 2500 or close to?
evltoy is offline Find More Posts by evltoy
Old Feb 28, 2012, 08:27 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,062 Posts
I think you need to make a change. Flying your motor at 50% all the the time is not good for it. You need to be flying it where it is more efficient or it will have issues with overheating, etc. I'd recommend you drop to an 11t (that might still not be low enough), or go down on your battery. Are you running the typhoon 500 on 6s? I don't have a tach but I can try to get one. I've got my typhoon on 5s. I'm making a wild ass guess and assuming you are running what I had said previously. Probably need to go with 5s.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 08:32 PM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
12,488 Posts
Try this cal. It is the best real world head speed calculator I have found. http://dhrc.rchomepage.com/calcAdvanced.htm
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 28, 2012, 09:04 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,062 Posts
So i'm fightng with myself over my next heli. I can't decide between the copterx 600 pro or the chaos 600 super combo. Sigh... I'm sure the chaos one would be fine and I had pretty much made up my mind, but now im thinking the copter x one is a efl pro clone so it has all the new features of the align heli, so I just dont know. i'm sure the chaos would be the cheapest route.

Edit: well just did some figuring. Absolute cheapest I can get going with the copter x is 524 plus whatever HK charges for shipping. That is with some cheapo servos and esc from HK. Not sure how reliable those servos will be. Also can't say a whole lot on the servos with the chaos combo but haven't seen any complaints about them that I know of. I like the hobbypartz solar servo's but they don't have anything in stock I could use for a 600 heli. Looks like the chaos is my best option unless I want to spend more.
Last edited by stingeragents; Feb 28, 2012 at 09:41 PM.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 09:42 PM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
12,488 Posts
I don't see a huge difference in the chaos over a HK600 other than price. Some say the bearings are better, but I have seen that too many times to believe and they have the torque option. This is one reason I still haven't gotten one yet. The copterx is like the Align with improvements over the Align as long as you don't mind china quality control. The Align FBL with motor and blades is $520. See what I mean! one thing over the other. And then is the new tiger 50x ep. ahhhg. I think I will just keep enjoying what I have. GOOD LUCK I don't envy you. lol!
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 29, 2012, 12:27 AM
Joined Jan 2011
1,062 Posts
grrrrr, I hate my stupid laptop. I had just written a huge response and I hit some key and it all erased so I'm just gonna summarize. I think its more than just the bearings. The 600gt has a lot of parts that need to be replaced before its safely flyable.I haven't seen a lot of complaints on required replacements for the copter x or chaos line of heli's. Align also has had problem's with the esc's on the old 600 esp's catching on fire. I know most people recommended to replace the esc from the get go until they updated it. Price doesn't always mean quality. Granted a 500 dollar align kit will be better than a 100 something 600gt, but is the price difference worth that much? I think the chaos and copter x lines bring it to the middle. Your not paying for the name, but your not getting complete junk either. I dont have personal experience with either the chaos or copter x but I know I've seen a lot more problems with the HK heli's than I have with either of those combined. One can just look at youtube and see all the comments for people with complaints on HK heli's.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 06:33 AM
Rotor Addict
United States, VA, Leesburg
Joined Dec 2008
567 Posts
Quote:
Edit: well just did some figuring. Absolute cheapest I can get going with the copter x is 524 plus whatever HK charges for shipping. That is with some cheapo servos and esc from HK. Not sure how reliable those servos will be. Also can't say a whole lot on the servos with the chaos combo but haven't seen any complaints about them that I know of. ....
Mind sharing what parts you had in mind? I have gone over this a lot personally. I don't mind "clone" status as long as my heli is reliable. We have some pretty reliable options for the 500's as far as cheap electronics go. I haven't been able to find any 600 electronics with consistent positive reviews.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhills51 View Post
I don't see a huge difference in the chaos over a HK600 other than price. Some say the bearings are better, but I have seen that too many times to believe and they have the torque option.
I've spent a lot of time reading reviews, watching build videos ect. I am 100% convinced that the Chaos is much better quality than the HK-600. And once you figure in electronics + shipping for the HK the Chaos is cheaper! They do free shipping the US on the 600 super combo.

Quote:
Align also has had problem's with the esc's on the old 600 esp's catching on fire. I know most people recommended to replace the esc from the get go until they updated it. Price doesn't always mean quality. Granted a 500 dollar align kit will be better than a 100 something 600gt, but is the price difference worth that much? I think the chaos and copter x lines bring it to the middle. Your not paying for the name, but your not getting complete junk either. I dont have personal experience with either the chaos or copter x but I know I've seen a lot more problems with the HK heli's than I have with either of those combined. One can just look at youtube and see all the comments for people with complaints on HK heli's.
I think the HK-600 is junk personally As far as the ESC fires, are you talking about the problem with the Castle ESC's? Anything can happen with even name brand equipment but the difference is that they owned up and replaced every ESC out there, not just the burnt up ones. I actually ordered a Choas 600 Pro w/ the scorpion motor and Phoenix HV2 ESC. I found out afterwards that the servos weren't included so I cancelled the order. Most of the time when I looked at options of piecing together a 600 kit it ended up being close to the cost of a 600EFL. You can get them from grandrc.com for ~$850 right now!

The Chaos 600 combo is very tempting at $500, but in the end you are buying a heli that's already been discontinued from Align. It's 6s on a big heli which everyone has moved away from. If you are looking for a heli to put in a scale fuse they are a great option. The 6S 600 helis are underpowered when compared to a 6S 500, and because of the high amerage draw they tend to wear out packs quickly. 12S is a much better solution for 600 size if you want to do 3d.

So I'll ask this...I have been asking myself this same question. Why do you want something bigger than a 500? Of course bigger is better I completely understand that! The 600's are easier to see in the air orientation wise, have better hang time ect. but what's really driving you to upgrade? For me personally it's the always wanting more part of my personality.
naryan is offline Find More Posts by naryan
Old Feb 29, 2012, 07:59 AM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
12,488 Posts
If you go to a local flying field the "safe spot" for you to fly in is usually so far away a 500 is pushing it and a 600 is about the minimum. Most of the fields are made for nitro. I was able to get one of my 450's out there and not walk out of the field once when no one else was around. We do have a smaller park, but the park rangers harass you every hour for your park pass, if you don't have one they can confiscate your heli and fine you $400
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 29, 2012, 08:13 AM
Rotor Addict
United States, VA, Leesburg
Joined Dec 2008
567 Posts
Here's some HK-500 content.

Still taking it easy feeling out the new FBL setup with my zyx. Still keeping it a little higher until I'm confident with this configuration.

HK-500 with ZYX (4 min 44 sec)
naryan is offline Find More Posts by naryan
Old Feb 29, 2012, 09:03 AM
Joined Jan 2012
229 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhills51 View Post
If you go to a local flying field the "safe spot" for you to fly in is usually so far away a 500 is pushing it and a 600 is about the minimum. Most of the fields are made for nitro. I was able to get one of my 450's out there and not walk out of the field once when no one else was around. We do have a smaller park, but the park rangers harass you every hour for your park pass, if you don't have one they can confiscate your heli and fine you $400
You mean I can't just go to the local park, or soccer field in the off season and fly? I have to have a permit and fly in designated RC areas? I was not aware of this......

(Or is it a local thing?)