HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 30, 2009, 06:05 PM
Canada, QC, Saint-Basile-le-Grand
Joined Oct 2003
60 Posts
You don't use the main grips, just the thrust bearings in the main grips from CopterX. To remove the thrust bearings from grips, you need two Allen keys.
Careful for not stripping the head of those socket screws.

To install those thrust bearings into the tail of 500gt, you can download this manual, http://www.trextuning.com/t500-manual.pdf
Look at page 16.
Again, here you have to be careful when placing the "washers" of thrust bearings. They might look identical but in reality, they have different inner diameter (I use caliper to measure them). Page 16 explains this...

good luck, it's quite straighforward..

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzyknorr View Post
Thanks again belier.

I have a spare copterx V2 kit so can I use the main grips from that kit? If yes, how do I go about it... just change the whole grip and replace it with the copterx one?(The size seems to be a perfect fit)... or do I just use the bearings from the copterx main grips(This seems to be very tricky as I have no idea how the bearings need to be handled & fitted)

Thank you so much,
S
belier is offline Find More Posts by belier
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 30, 2009, 10:45 PM
Dragon68
Malaysia
Joined Dec 2008
82 Posts
Hi all,

just some sharing and update for my 2 months HK500GT and what part that have been upgraded and total cost around ...USD114 ..more that Kit cost .ha.ha...but still acceptable to get better quality and now i have more confident to do FF and still learning to do figure 8...thank you for this thread that help me and other newbe .....cheer and wishing you all Happy new year 2010 ,Hopes for a bright future,Affection & love,Peace for the heart and Prosperity that's unlimited...

1. Tail assembly CNC copterX 500 got from ebay =USD30
2. HK-500GT Metal Flybar Control Arm Set variations = USD8.52
3. HK-500GT Carbon Fiber Horizontal/Vertical Tail Fin variations = USD8.72
4. 430mm carbonr Main Rotor Blade For Trex 500 3D=USD 17
5. ALIGN Trex Ball link 500 =USD1.96
6. Trex 500 Carbon Fiber Flybar Paddle A H50118=USD 13
7. Trex 500 CCPM Metal Swashplate H50016-1= USD 35

My latest progress on learning Foward flight ..
HK500GT Maiden at Menkuang Airport (6 min 44 sec)
dragon68 is offline Find More Posts by dragon68
Last edited by dragon68; Dec 30, 2009 at 11:06 PM.
Old Dec 31, 2009, 12:22 AM
Hemet, California
United States, CA, Hemet
Joined Mar 2005
1,441 Posts
Is $59.95 for a Futaba S9257 EP Digital Rudder Servo 2kg/.08sec/26g from hobbyking.com a good price?...seems there is no discount for platinum membership

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/s...idproduct=9751

I may get one of these down the road to replace the rudder servo as they seem to be the best one out there for that purpose.
kctrading is offline Find More Posts by kctrading
Last edited by kctrading; Dec 31, 2009 at 12:17 PM.
Old Dec 31, 2009, 08:37 AM
Milan, Italy
Joined Dec 2009
16 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon68 View Post
Hi all,

just some sharing and update for my 2 months HK500GT and what part that have been upgraded and total cost around ...USD114 ..more that Kit cost .ha.ha...but still acceptable to get better quality and now i have more confident to do FF and still learning to do figure 8...thank you for this thread that help me and other newbe .....cheer and wishing you all Happy new year 2010 ,Hopes for a bright future,Affection & love,Peace for the heart and Prosperity that's unlimited...

1. Tail assembly CNC copterX 500 got from ebay =USD30
2. HK-500GT Metal Flybar Control Arm Set variations = USD8.52
3. HK-500GT Carbon Fiber Horizontal/Vertical Tail Fin variations = USD8.72
4. 430mm carbonr Main Rotor Blade For Trex 500 3D=USD 17
5. ALIGN Trex Ball link 500 =USD1.96
6. Trex 500 Carbon Fiber Flybar Paddle A H50118=USD 13
7. Trex 500 CCPM Metal Swashplate H50016-1= USD 35

My latest progress on learning Foward flight ..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9_e6CoTCew
Nice fly!
col.and is offline Find More Posts by col.and
Old Dec 31, 2009, 11:00 AM
San Diego, CA
Joined Sep 2009
295 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by belier View Post
You don't use the main grips, just the thrust bearings in the main grips from CopterX. To remove the thrust bearings from grips, you need two Allen keys.
Careful for not stripping the head of those socket screws.

To install those thrust bearings into the tail of 500gt, you can download this manual, http://www.trextuning.com/t500-manual.pdf
Look at page 16.
Again, here you have to be careful when placing the "washers" of thrust bearings. They might look identical but in reality, they have different inner diameter (I use caliper to measure them). Page 16 explains this...

good luck, it's quite straighforward..
Thanks alot once again for hand-holding me on this one... will give it a shot this weekend.

Happy New Year!!!

Suzy
suzyknorr is offline Find More Posts by suzyknorr
Old Dec 31, 2009, 11:33 AM
usual old know-it-all
Blackpool,U.K.
Joined May 2005
1,315 Posts
Finished my build.
Took it out the back and a test hover,nice.
No throttle or pitch curves setup,just a stock TX linear thr./pitch curve.
Blade tracking was a good 1" out at the tips,but expected that with a new setup.Too dark to adjust today.
Vibration was quite bad with the tracking out,BUT no where near as bad as with my old 500 size JR Voyager heli when those blades were out.

The main shaft looks bent on initial spool up but isnt when spinning fast.
Very stable in even a slight breeze.
Nothing came loose after a 6 min. hover.No odd noises either.
Overall pleased for a very cheap(money) heli.
I know a quick hover isnt an indication of a good heli,but its a promising start.

5S Turnigy 3000 20C lipo
Mega 22/30/2 motor
CC60 esc with external sbec
13 pinion
GY401 gyro+9254 tail servo
Turnigy MG930 servos
stock blades.
brodjack is offline Find More Posts by brodjack
Old Dec 31, 2009, 12:09 PM
Gone Flying.
Western NY
Joined Nov 2006
2,401 Posts
Have any of you guys hauled any weight (in addition to the battery, such as a camera, etc.) on your 500GT's? I mounted a 4 oz. Sony Webbie 1080p HD camera to it today, gonna attempt a flight this afternoon if the weather cooperates, I'll post the video on YouTube and will provide a link once it's up. I'm thinking the 500GT powered by the Scorpion 3026-1600KV motor could easily haul an additional 1 lb. of weight (450+ grams), as long as the balance stays on with the weight mounted. Just hoping it doesn't put too much stress on the frame and/or bearings.

brodjack - great to hear your first hover went well. I think for the most part the stock parts on the 500GT are fine, they shouldn't need up-front replacement (unless those thrust bearings are absent in the tail grips). I've had dozens of crash-free flights on mine and there is still NO slop in the head or any loose or noticeably worn stock parts. I don't fly 3D though, anyone flying hard 3D, I'd be interested in knowing how the parts are holding up.
ChrisWNY is offline Find More Posts by ChrisWNY
Old Dec 31, 2009, 01:06 PM
Dragon68
Malaysia
Joined Dec 2008
82 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcnewb View Post
Have any of you guys hauled any weight (in addition to the battery, such as a camera, etc.) on your 500GT's? I mounted a 4 oz. Sony Webbie 1080p HD camera to it today, gonna attempt a flight this afternoon if the weather cooperates, I'll post the video on YouTube and will provide a link once it's up. I'm thinking the 500GT powered by the Scorpion 3026-1600KV motor could easily haul an additional 1 lb. of weight (450+ grams), as long as the balance stays on with the weight mounted. Just hoping it doesn't put too much stress on the frame and/or bearings..
Hi rcnewb,

Not sure for your case,sound very strange ...i did add MiniDV spy cam ~ 70g ..seem ok for my 500GT using HobbyKing 500H 1600KV motor and dont thing it will put any stress on the frame or bearing.

Quality video not so good due to lot of vibration ...

HK500GT on board Mini DV (5 min 48 sec)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcnewb View Post
brodjack - great to hear your first hover went well. I think for the most part the stock parts on the 500GT are fine, they shouldn't need up-front replacement (unless those thrust bearings are absent in the tail grips). I've had dozens of crash-free flights on mine and there is still NO slop in the head or any loose or noticeably worn stock parts. I don't fly 3D though, anyone flying hard 3D, I'd be interested in knowing how the parts are holding up.
I have problem with stock swage plate having slop after 6 times flight...may be due to hard landing ...maybe my bad day getting low quality part...no issue after few flight with align 500 swageplate ...
Last edited by dragon68; Dec 31, 2009 at 01:18 PM.
Old Dec 31, 2009, 02:09 PM
New Jersey
Joined Feb 2003
8,127 Posts
Does the latest version need any upgrades. I have read the thread but its not clear whether guys are upgrading the newest version which has the thrust bearing already in the tail or upgrading the original GT.

Thanks!

Brian
Tumbler is offline Find More Posts by Tumbler
Old Dec 31, 2009, 02:32 PM
usual old know-it-all
Blackpool,U.K.
Joined May 2005
1,315 Posts
The cam. vid. would have been good with no vibes.
I think time will tell with worn out parts.
Brian,mine is totally stock and was purchased only last week

I'll be taking it hopefully on saturday for a good thrashing,inbetween my nitro bird flights.

Either way it has to be the bargain of the yr.
brodjack is offline Find More Posts by brodjack
Old Dec 31, 2009, 03:16 PM
Dragon68
Malaysia
Joined Dec 2008
82 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumbler View Post
Does the latest version need any upgrades. I have read the thread but its not clear whether guys are upgrading the newest version which has the thrust bearing already in the tail or upgrading the original GT.

Thanks!

Brian
Hi Brian,
Mine last time purchased on early November 09 coming no trust bearing at tail blade grip
Old Dec 31, 2009, 08:19 PM
Bush Pilots Bounce Higher
USA, IL, Champaign
Joined Dec 2006
4,309 Posts
Now this looks nice. Would be great on a scale 500

SM -STH5004 Scale 4 blade tail rotor head

WOW.. Mine is in customs !

Bullet Inbound Into Customs
Bullet Inbound International Arrival, December 31, 2009, 1:47 am, ISC SAN FRANCISCO (USPS)
Bullet Foreign International Dispatch, December 28, 2009, 4:01 pm, HONG KONG AIR MAIL CENTRE, HONG KONG
Bullet Origin Post is Preparing Shipment
Bullet Foreign Acceptance, December 24, 2009, 3:09 pm, HONG KONG
Spidious is offline Find More Posts by Spidious
Last edited by Spidious; Dec 31, 2009 at 08:31 PM.
Old Jan 01, 2010, 05:28 PM
Redjestird Youser
Joined Jan 2009
3,878 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidious View Post
Now this looks nice. Would be great on a scale 500

SM -STH5004 Scale 4 blade tail rotor head

WOW.. Mine is in customs !

Bullet Inbound Into Customs
Bullet Inbound International Arrival, December 31, 2009, 1:47 am, ISC SAN FRANCISCO (USPS)
Bullet Foreign International Dispatch, December 28, 2009, 4:01 pm, HONG KONG AIR MAIL CENTRE, HONG KONG
Bullet Origin Post is Preparing Shipment
Bullet Foreign Acceptance, December 24, 2009, 3:09 pm, HONG KONG
What are you building?
SidewaysLS4 is offline Find More Posts by SidewaysLS4
Old Jan 01, 2010, 06:49 PM
Bush Pilots Bounce Higher
USA, IL, Champaign
Joined Dec 2006
4,309 Posts
Hughes 500D. But will have a 4 bladed main and maybe a 4 bladed tail. Five bladed looks nice.. But I am not sure about it..I don't want to run any electronic stabilization. So not sure about getting the phasing easily done. Where as the 4 bladed head is a easy plug and play style..

Maybe if somebody on here is using a 5 blade set up with no stabilization. They could post a really good shot of the head/swash plate set up. And tell me how they got it phased up...

It would be great if Kin had a 5 blade set up like the 4 blade one. Then all the phasing problems would be eliminated !

Huh Kin ? ? ?
Spidious is offline Find More Posts by Spidious
Old Jan 01, 2010, 10:00 PM
Redjestird Youser
Joined Jan 2009
3,878 Posts
Another magnum pi 500, cool. Definately make a build thread in the usual spot.

Phasing a 5 blade shouldnt be too much of a problem, just imagine 90* from forward looking at the swash/grips. There's no ball link on the swash there to reference where to tighten down the swash driver, but you can imagine there is one there. Of course for $280 you can just put the phase in any old place and electronically adjust it correctly, lol . That plug and play head is nice, and saves the trying to get 5 blades to match balance headache, 4 blades only 2 have to match each other, much easier IMO.

With 4 blades, are you going to make a C model Y tail for it?
SidewaysLS4 is offline Find More Posts by SidewaysLS4