SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 16, 2009, 11:03 AM
Overland Park, Kansas
Joined Jun 2005
42 Posts
receiver

I have been using a 6100 on my Trex 500 for the last 6 months with no issues.. i usually fly at a school yard down the street from my house. Have an area about the size of a football field to cut loose in and routinely fly as far as i am confortable seeing the model..
They are supposed to have a range of around 1000 feet as they are considered a parkflyer rx.. but i have seen documented cases where they went as far as a mile with perfect line of site transmissions..

Since my field is about 400 feet long.. then you factor in the altitude angle.. i dont think i regularly fly more than about 300-500 feet away.. and that is plenty far away with a 500 class heli.. for me atleast..

FYI.. Best deal around for spektrum recievers.. is here

http://www.bigskyhobby.com/cart.php?m=view

shipping for me is about $4 : -)
kc7328 is offline Find More Posts by kc7328
Last edited by kc7328; Oct 16, 2009 at 11:36 AM. Reason: spelling
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 16, 2009, 11:37 AM
Gone Flying.
Western NY
Joined Nov 2006
2,401 Posts
Nice - that is a great deal. Thanks for the link. I'll buy them there from here on out.
ChrisWNY is offline Find More Posts by ChrisWNY
Old Oct 16, 2009, 11:55 AM
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2004
6,184 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcnewb
I've NEVER heard of people having issues with the AR6100's on heli's, I know several guys who use the AR6100's on the much larger 600 sizers and have had 0 issues, no hiccups, no glitches, nothing but 100% reliable operation.

Is the 6200 a safer bet? Perhaps, but it's nearly twice the cost, so if you're trying to build a 500 on a budget, the cost of the 6200 over the 6100 might be significant. You can pick up the AR6100's on ebay shipped free from Hong Kong for $43 now brand new (OEM packaging, no binding plug). The lowest prices I've seen on AR6200 is $80 (plus shipping), brand new.

Like I said "you can use it but I wouldn't". I feel the extra insuranse and safety are worth $20 more. I guess that could be the difference between an extra battery for your 450...
I know people that use the 6200's on 250 size helos but because some one does something one way does not mean everyone has to do it that way.
I still have 72MHz on my .50 and .91 helos and people think that's just crazy but they have been that way for 10 years and work that way.
Evan D is offline Find More Posts by Evan D
Old Oct 17, 2009, 12:02 AM
Vertical Unlimited
Mandurah, Western Australia
Joined Mar 2007
584 Posts
Looking very forward to your maiden report!

Sorry RCNewb, ever so slight digression here, but it's relevant I swear. Anyone had success putting the Turnigy Plush ESCs in governer mode? I have the programming card, but so far the only ESC I've ever had that worked in governer mode was an Align 35GX. The larger 75GX is a fair bit more cash than the Turnigy Plush equivalent, and I've found the Turnigy ESCs to be very reliable (more reliable than Align). I'd like to know whether I can use the Turnigy ESC in this chopper - I prefer governing a whole lot more than messing with throttle curves.
Straight Up is offline Find More Posts by Straight Up
Last edited by Straight Up; Oct 17, 2009 at 12:14 AM.
Old Oct 17, 2009, 11:33 AM
Overland Park, Kansas
Joined Jun 2005
42 Posts
turnigy

I really like the turnigy ( and other offshoots of them ) ESC's for the price.. They have worked great for me.. however.. I dont know of anyone who ever really uses or has had good success with the gov on a turningy esc..

as long as you can find your desired headspeed.. with your battery and the right pinion.. etc.. most folks just like to run a constant flat curve in in idle 1 or idle2.. Jut find that sweet spot for your motors efficiency and run your curve flat there.. curves were really developed to keep the nitro birds from overspeeding the head at times in idle1 or idle 2. electric helis and their motors really like to run at a nice constant HS. and with an inexpensive ESC.. you really are limited to finding the sweet spot your self and dialing it in to a flat curve..

From what i have seen.. unless you spend quite a bit of $$ on a nice ESC..( new castle ICE or a kontronic.. etc) you most likely wont get a good governor built in...
kc7328 is offline Find More Posts by kc7328
Old Oct 17, 2009, 11:57 AM
Gone Flying.
Western NY
Joined Nov 2006
2,401 Posts
I use the governor within my CC Phoenix ESC to set a specific head speed (keeps the blade RPM's within reasonable limits), it works well for my purposes and I run the throttle up near 95% once I'm at neutral pitch or above, though most fly'ers in my club don't use the governor at all with an electric heli. They set their throttle according to pitch and set the ESC for fixed endpoints. The new Castle firmware will tell you your approximate throttle % (within the SET RPM governor mode) based on the specific head speed that you set on the throttle (0-50%, 51-99%, and 100% throttle). You then input the motor Kv, gear ratio, and number of poles in the motor, which is what the Castle firmware uses to calculate your throttle % at a given head speed. Then you set your throttle % within the pitch curves for each flight mode, in most cases your pitch curve will end up flat. The reality is that it's perfectly fine to just set your throttle in the radio, and used fixed end points within the ESC. I would not recommend using governor mode in a Turngiy ESC as many have said that it's unreliable.

For electric heli's, the ESC likes to run near 100% throttle anyway (because the motor is constantly running, unlike a plane where the motor runs at varying speeds all the time), the closer you are to 100% throttle, the better the efficiency out of the ESC and motor. If you're inhibiting throttle, the ESC has to apply more resistance to reduce the current going to the motor, meaning the ESC will get warmer.

It's a lot more important with a heli to get a proper match between battery/esc/motor/pinion size so that you achieve proper head speed for the size of the heli without bogging down the motor or drawing more current than the ESC or battery is rated to handle continuously.
Last edited by ChrisWNY; Oct 17, 2009 at 12:04 PM.
Old Oct 17, 2009, 09:42 PM
Private Pilot
United States, CA, San Luis Obispo
Joined Jul 2009
1,273 Posts
just curious, i just ordered one and was wondering what servos, gyro, motor etc you guys suggest....scale flying and sooner or later when im better some mild 3d.
Twister773 is offline Find More Posts by Twister773
Old Oct 17, 2009, 10:40 PM
Gone Flying.
Western NY
Joined Nov 2006
2,401 Posts
Twister -

Here are the parts I went with, but I'll also throw in some recommendations on HobbyCity parts...

Gyro: G401B "Mystery" Gyro from DealExtreme ($20 shipped), the Assan Gyro from HC would also work fine
Servos: TowerPro 930MG Digitals ($16 each at HC) for cyclic and tail, the 930MG is fine for basic 3D and sport flying on the tail
Motor: Scorpion HK-3026-1600Kv ($75), the Turnigy Typhoon is a popular choice from HC and it's only $25 (1800Kv)
ESC: Turnigy Plush 60 or 80 Amp (I am using the CC Phoenix 80-Amp because I already had one available in my parts stash). Don't use the Governor mode on the Turnigy, it is flaky at best.

I'll post more photos of my build by tomorrow. I finished the motor, ESC, BEC, and cyclic servo installation and am about 85% of the way through the rotor head adjustments. Most of the linkages on the head were spot-on as per the recommendations in the T-Rex 500 manual, but I had to adjust the Swash to servo linkages quite a bit.
Old Oct 18, 2009, 03:25 AM
Joined Sep 2003
1,419 Posts
Quote:
Twister -

Here are the parts I went with, but I'll also throw in some recommendations on HobbyCity parts...

Gyro: G401B "Mystery" Gyro from DealExtreme ($20 shipped), the Assan Gyro from HC would also work fine
Servos: TowerPro 930MG Digitals ($16 each at HC) for cyclic and tail, the 930MG is fine for basic 3D and sport flying on the tail
Motor: Scorpion HK-3026-1600Kv ($75), the Turnigy Typhoon is a popular choice from HC and it's only $25 (1800Kv)
ESC: Turnigy Plush 60 or 80 Amp (I am using the CC Phoenix 80-Amp because I already had one available in my parts stash). Don't use the Governor mode on the Turnigy, it is flaky at best.

I'll post more photos of my build by tomorrow. I finished the motor, ESC, BEC, and cyclic servo installation and am about 85% of the way through the rotor head adjustments. Most of the linkages on the head were spot-on as per the recommendations in the T-Rex 500 manual, but I had to adjust the Swash to servo linkages quite a bit.

Cool, will you be posting a video too? When will you test fly it?
jcervantes11 is offline Find More Posts by jcervantes11
Old Oct 18, 2009, 03:36 AM
Private Pilot
Joined Jul 2009
1,273 Posts
Quote:
Twister -

Thanks for the info, and cant wait for pics!
Old Oct 18, 2009, 08:55 AM
Gone Flying.
Western NY
Joined Nov 2006
2,401 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcervantes11
Cool, will you be posting a video too? When will you test fly it?
Absolutely. I'll record the spin-up test and hover.
Old Oct 18, 2009, 03:04 PM
Joined Mar 2008
20 Posts
I have flown my 500GT now. My worries about the lack of thrust bearings in the tail rotor (found when checking for thread lock) have proven to be correct.

The tail wouldn't stay locked in at all, I also couldn't move it using rudder input. Very interesting setup hovers!

The higher the headspeed the worse it got, I have an Align DS520 on the tail Iam sure it was stalling.

I tried a lower headspeed and the tail became manageable, the opposite to what I expected, normally a higher headspeed will give better tail control. The problem then was the Heli was bouncing, headspeed was too low.

I gave up, I have ordered an Align tail rotor assy H50034, Iam hoping to have more luck with that.
st200ol is offline Find More Posts by st200ol
Old Oct 18, 2009, 03:50 PM
Gone Flying.
Western NY
Joined Nov 2006
2,401 Posts
st200 -

I noticed the same thing with my HK-500GT. Had a test flight today, the tail is virtually unmovable when the head speed comes up to where it should. It's definitely not ready for show time yet (hence no video). At lower head speeds (below 2000 RPM, where the tail rotor is still semi-movable), the heli would not be flyable. Once that tail rotor is moving fast enough, it can't be budged by the servo. At first I thought the servo didn't have enough torque, but after reading your post, the lack of thrust bearings could the be source of the problems. Currently, my head speed is governed at 2400 RPMs max up to 100% throttle (running 2 x 3S 2200mAh 30C packs in series). The heli balances perfectly with the 2 x 3S packs up front with no modification to the battery tray or frame. I drilled the holes pretty far back in the canopy to ensure there'd be enough room for the battery packs.

Since the build is finished, I took more photos. Edit: Ordered a new metal CNC tail rotor assembly (with thrust bearings) from helidirect, it's a $19 part, which I wasn't happy about, but if it fixes the problem, I'll be fine with it. I'll also be sending an email to HC about the problem. I still need to make some head adjustments as my blade tracking is nearly 1" off on both sides.
Last edited by ChrisWNY; Oct 18, 2009 at 04:26 PM.
Old Oct 18, 2009, 04:39 PM
Private Pilot
Joined Jul 2009
1,273 Posts
rcnewb. looks great completed, but I dont like that i have one on the way and you both have issues lol. Is the non GT500 have the same problem? I have seen videos of it and it doesnt seem to have the problem you guys are describing. Let us know how a fix goes and what you do and what HC has to say.
Old Oct 18, 2009, 05:31 PM
Gone Flying.
Western NY
Joined Nov 2006
2,401 Posts
Twister -

No need for too much panic, the problem could be isolated, but chances are it's consistent throughout the early batches. I'm not sure if the HK-T500 has the same issue, the tail and head rotor assemblies are different on each of the models so it's not likely that the HK-T500 has the same problem. I've noticed that even moving the tail rotor by hand (at full speed) is difficult, so I'm not surprised the servo can't move it (even a 75 lb/in. servo would have a tough time moving the tail rotor). HC support has been emailed, we'll wait and see what they have to say, and whether or not they'll get the manufacturer to offer replacement parts...