HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 11, 2010, 08:30 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2003
3,272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade1 View Post
Hey guys, is the 500 noticeably mote stable than a 450 ?
Yes very! And more precise!
topgearuk is offline Find More Posts by topgearuk
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 11, 2010, 08:46 AM
Australia
Joined Jul 2008
1,311 Posts
I have read alot of negative comments about the 500gt kit. Have these issues been ironed out but hk yet ? I'm thinking of buying one.
Wade1 is offline Find More Posts by Wade1
Old Dec 11, 2010, 12:06 PM
Germany
Joined Aug 2009
132 Posts
I received my kit about two months ago and compared to the issues reported about the first batches, quality improved IMHO.

Nevertheless, if you buy one you got to be aware what you engage with. The kit comes pre-assembled to a large extent but everything needs to be taken apart, closely inspected and greased / loctited where applicable. Some parts may need tweaking (e.g. tail boom, tail rotor hub). The kit will fly with out of the box parts but from following this thread and own experience I think that likelihood of a part failing sooner or later is significantly higher than on Align kits.

Most issues reported here relate to the quality of the shafts, gears, screws and bearings. On my bird, I replaced main, feathering, and tail rotor shaft with Align parts. I was very happy with it until after 40+ flights one of the bolts that srew the tail rotor blade holder to the hub snapped in flight which resulted in a major crash. Several people had the same issue around the same time a few pages back.

Would I recommend this heli? Well, it depends what you want it for. With thorough checks and selective replacement parts you get a good heli at low budget equipped with components of your choice (unlike the Align combos). But you should have some heli building skills and be interested in tweaking things that don't work as they should.

If you want a more or less carefree build just using all components out-of-the-box go for Align.
ToughAce is offline Find More Posts by ToughAce
Old Dec 11, 2010, 12:41 PM
Gone Flying.
Western NY
Joined Nov 2006
2,401 Posts
Just got back from a hiatus, folks, I'll do my best to update the first page of the thread so that it is current.
ChrisWNY is offline Find More Posts by ChrisWNY
Old Dec 11, 2010, 02:07 PM
AMA # 949551
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Oct 2009
2,066 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 126jp View Post
Brian,

Love the humor. What do you call a man with no. . .aww never mind. What are “crickets” some sort of forum monitor’s warning?

Thanx Jules, sometimes forums become unbearable and I try to insert a little levity. The crickets are what you get when a joke bombs.

Silence, except for crickets!

My build is going to take a while too. Not because of the wife, but rather to be as exhaustive as possible in following everyone’s recommendations. Like you said, this heli will kill if disregarded, best to stack the deck.

Prolly a good idea!

By the way, IT WAS A SETUP! I had to buy her a horse and now working on five acres and a barn to go along with it. But that’s ok. She built and fixed my 450s. I’d pretty much do anything for her right about now.

My nickname for a horse is "hayburner"

My good friend at work has horses (5) and says she can't imagine life without them.

She, by the same token finds humor in this joke "When your dog dies, what to you get?

A dead dog.

When a horse dies, what do you get?

Dog food.

I’ll post woes and triumphs along the way.

I look forward to them. I tend to think that I am going to buy just feather, tail and main shafts along with the metal tail upgrade to begin with.

I am going to take my time as I have two 450's to keep me busy. Speaking of which. No more off brand shafts for those birds either. Sheeze!

Jules

Brian
rikybob is online now Find More Posts by rikybob
Old Dec 11, 2010, 02:08 PM
AMA # 949551
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Oct 2009
2,066 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisWNY View Post
Just got back from a hiatus, folks, I'll do my best to update the first page of the thread so that it is current.

Welcome back!

GREAT thread!

b
Old Dec 11, 2010, 03:38 PM
Yes I looped the MSR post 5388
Joined Nov 2008
2,537 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade1 View Post
I have read alot of negative comments about the 500gt kit. Have these issues been ironed out but hk yet ? I'm thinking of buying one.
Well is it OK and a way to get into 500 size heli without having to replace everything, the answer is yes.

I have several different 500 clones and genuine Align 500's and I can quite comfortably say to you that the HK500 CMT is probably the best 500 clone out there.

What I have had to do is replace the tail section, that being the blade grips and hub, apart from that the rest of the things I have done to it were make bush changes so the bearing sit well. These bushes are all different sizes and unless people fix them then they will bind up the bearings when they attempt to tighten the bolts that go through the bearings.

I am currently working on a video that should be posted soon that shows how and what to fix with the bushes. All these chinese clones suffer exactly the same thing, it's like there is some guy on a production line that is looking across at another bench say I see how long that is and chopping a piece with an axe and then just throwing it in.

I have here at my place various size brass tubes, they are great, you know the ones you get from the local hobby store, I think these are used by train modellers, anyhow the thing is the different sizes allow me to make bushes to suit the bearings.
Once you make one bush the rest are simple and you will understand what is needed.

I have sent emails to Hobby King explaining in detail the problem with the bushings and how it would be best if they supplied the kit with the bolts loose and they wont even answer me.

I know they read my emails because I specifically sent them to my video's and had it as a private listing and they looked at it around 12 times before I made it public listing.

Anyway its too early here and I am annoying myself with all this info.
EatAtJoes is offline Find More Posts by EatAtJoes
Old Dec 11, 2010, 03:43 PM
South London United Kingdom
Joined Jun 2003
1,096 Posts
Hi all
Just to reinforce what ToughAce has said. Got my 500GT some months ago. Decided with this bird to go economy on the set up, and as much HK as possible. Nothing so far to make me regret this.
Have to admit I am no expert pilot, so maybe don't push my birds as much as some, but so far, this one has been faultless.
Only things non HK are the motor, and the tail servo.
Motor is a Hobbymate 3650, because I had one lying around, and the tail servo is a Hyperion DS20GMD. I used this because I have them in other machines, and they are excellent, and also because Aircraft World was selling them at $19.95. Still are, as a matter of fact.
http://www.aircraft-world.com/shopexd.asp?id=5060
Other than that, only problem I encountered was in taking the tail apart to check the bearings. Why do they have to use concrete as a threadlock? Broke one of the bolts getting it out. Picked up a Align part off E-bay, cheap, and that is the only bit I have changed.
Anyone working on a budget, and not requiring, or expecting, ultimate performance could do a lot worse.
BTW, I also have an HK450 ver2, which is all HK, and is a superb little bird. Highly recommended.
Cheers
Border Lord is offline Find More Posts by Border Lord
Old Dec 11, 2010, 04:06 PM
AMA # 949551
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Oct 2009
2,066 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Border Lord View Post
Hi all
Just to reinforce what ToughAce has said. Got my 500GT some months ago. Decided with this bird to go economy on the set up, and as much HK as possible. Nothing so far to make me regret this.
Have to admit I am no expert pilot, so maybe don't push my birds as much as some, but so far, this one has been faultless.
Only things non HK are the motor, and the tail servo.
Motor is a Hobbymate 3650, because I had one lying around, and the tail servo is a Hyperion DS20GMD. I used this because I have them in other machines, and they are excellent, and also because Aircraft World was selling them at $19.95. Still are, as a matter of fact.
http://www.aircraft-world.com/shopexd.asp?id=5060
Other than that, only problem I encountered was in taking the tail apart to check the bearings. Why do they have to use concrete as a threadlock? Broke one of the bolts getting it out. Picked up a Align part off E-bay, cheap, and that is the only bit I have changed.
Anyone working on a budget, and not requiring, or expecting, ultimate performance could do a lot worse.
BTW, I also have an HK450 ver2, which is all HK, and is a superb little bird. Highly recommended.
Cheers
I too have the HK450 GT (2 of 'em) and they have been GREAT!

I have a new policy about the bolts that are cinched down with what appears to be XXX Super Duper Mongo Concrete/Glue/Threadlock from HELL! I don't remove them. If that thing cannot come out like a bolt that I medium strengthed in. I simply don't remove it and mark in my mind that it is getting the ole soldering iron when it needs to be removed!

Best to all!

b
Old Dec 11, 2010, 04:17 PM
AMA # 949551
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Oct 2009
2,066 Posts
Migrating.....

Hiya guys!

I have posted here a few times and will eventually migrate over here from here like my friend Jules as I transition from the 450 to the 500 that is under my tree!

In addition to my snappy repartee' and rapier like wit (please), I hope to share a little something on occasion as I have received soooo much from the fourms.

Particularly from the likes of EatatJoes and the like!

I learned this method of swash leveling from a friend and found it on Youtube some time ago and hope it helps!

The IS beauty in simplicity!

Best to ya!

Brian
Old Dec 11, 2010, 05:20 PM
South London United Kingdom
Joined Jun 2003
1,096 Posts
Hi Rikybob
Take your point, but all the threads say to check bearings on head and tail to see if they have been greased, and also the thrust bearings have been assembled in the correct order.
I have always done this, for my own piece of mind, and this is the only one that has broken. In my mind, no biggy.
Nice to know the 450GT is good as well. My point with the ver2 is that it is at the budget end of the market, mine is kitted out with HK budget gear as well, and flies a treat.
Btw, I also have an HK450 Pro, shaft tail, digi servos and all. This is a little better than the ver2 but not much. I am hard pushed to decide which I prefer.
Sounds like HKs reputation for a poor product is no longer so deserved. Certainly any of the ones I have dealt with I would heartily recommend.
Got an Esmart on the bench at the moment, but after that I will be seriously looking at the 600 GT.
Get thee behind me Satan, aka HK.
Cheers
Border Lord is offline Find More Posts by Border Lord
Old Dec 11, 2010, 05:29 PM
AMA # 949551
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Oct 2009
2,066 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Border Lord View Post
Hi Rikybob
Take your point, but all the threads say to check bearings on head and tail to see if they have been greased, and also the thrust bearings have been assembled in the correct order.
I have always done this, for my own piece of mind, and this is the only one that has broken. In my mind, no biggy.
Nice to know the 450GT is good as well. My point with the ver2 is that it is at the budget end of the market, mine is kitted out with HK budget gear as well, and flies a treat.
Btw, I also have an HK450 Pro, shaft tail, digi servos and all. This is a little better than the ver2 but not much. I am hard pushed to decide which I prefer.
Sounds like HKs reputation for a poor product is no longer so deserved. Certainly any of the ones I have dealt with I would heartily recommend.
Got an Esmart on the bench at the moment, but after that I will be seriously looking at the 600 GT.
Get thee behind me Satan, aka HK. Hehe
Cheers

You are sooo right about the bearings!! I NEVER have had ANY grease on ANY bearings and always had to add same!

By the same token I have never had any of those bolts cemented in.

You point is well taken!

Best to ya!!

b
Last edited by rikybob; Dec 11, 2010 at 06:02 PM.
Old Dec 11, 2010, 06:44 PM
Joined Nov 2008
2,537 Posts
Finally A Chance

Well finally i flew 6 packs through this heli, first 3 gentle flying, more of a hover really than anything else, but the final 3 i pushed it, I flew high to ensure enough error level's then started on the flips rolls and a few attempts at tic tocs but there was not enough power for my style of tic tocs (sloppy at best)

I realized that after I landed the baby that I was using the Turnigy Mems Gyro (have several 500 heli's a couple with turnigy mems and a couple with futaba gy520), in the air it felt like my Futaba GY520, tail held without issue through multiple rolls and flips, just some of the points where it came around I heard the tail flutter a little but besides the sound it was holding perfectly.

One thing I did notice is now after some punishment the head is too loose so I am stripping it down again and rebuilding it again, a little too much play for my liking, the bolts are still tightly secure thanks to the loctite.

All in all and incident free day.... I had almost forgotten how that felt..

Elias
Old Dec 12, 2010, 07:45 AM
Joined Nov 2008
2,537 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToughAce View Post
Are you sure that's reason? To me it sounds more like the increase in motor rpms was to abrupt for the main gear. Are you running the Align ESC in governor mode? I had several issues with my Align ESC in governor mode (erratic tail wag near to loss of control, rpm break-in, even complete shutdown of the motor when switching from idle-up 1 to idle-up 2).

No I am not sure, just throwing a thought out there, but I swapped the Futaba GY520 over to the Turnigy Mems gyro last night and this morning everything was fine flying with the same setup.
I am running the Align ESC in governor mode, and after flying it and doing the first flips on this heli I changed throttle curves, so mid stick in normal mode is 100% throttle and both S1 and S2 are also 100% that way there is no more jump in RPM regardless of the mode switch position.
My Align T-Rex 500 ESP has the castle creations 75A ICE and well lets just say I guess you cant get a better ESC than that.

Elias
Old Dec 13, 2010, 03:27 AM
Australia
Joined Jul 2008
1,311 Posts
Regarding bearings...

Is it ok to oil them rather than grease them ?

I have some light oil used for firearm lubrication. Would that do the job rather than grease ?

I have used it on my micros but not sure if it will suffice on the larger helis.
Wade1 is offline Find More Posts by Wade1