HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 19, 2010, 04:07 PM
UK
Joined May 2008
242 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cfarrell2 View Post
Hey Wedgehog, I just got my 500 CMT. Do you think maybe you just got a bad Heli? My link is the right length and the tail boom is also the right length. The only issues I have had so far is one of my main bades is too thick. I just sanded it down and its ok now. Also the tail had no notch so I had to eye ball it to the center of the boom. Once I finish the build I see if there are any other issues.
One of two things I would think. Either I got one of the first they put together, which would be just about in keeping with my luck Or because everything I posted here, I also posted in the HK forum, so maybe they have taken some notice and as a result of my experience you will all get a better kit, which is kind of what I was hoping for.
I purchased a few genuine align spares last Friday, ready for the inevitable crunch One of which was a spare boom, which came complete with the operating rod and the boom clips and the ball ends. The rod is the correct length and the boom clips are 3mm longer than mine so I would not have had to bend the rod. I have since taken all that off and made a direct link from the tail servo to the tail with a carbon tube and adjustable ends, that gives a wonderful problem free link.
wedgehog is offline Find More Posts by wedgehog
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 19, 2010, 11:09 PM
United States, UT, Ogden
Joined Jul 2010
90 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dash8brj View Post
yep - leading edge of blades should rotate up into the main rotor downwash.
Is that hovering right side up or inverted????

Thanks for the answers, I'm going to go put on my tail now!
mikelleen is offline Find More Posts by mikelleen
Old Jul 20, 2010, 05:51 AM
Joined Sep 2007
205 Posts
well 1st 1/2 decent calm day for a while and the heli is down awaiting parts lol

was having a rather bad tracking problem yesterday and it looks like my feathering shaft is a bit to short and when tightening the bolts it's making the blade grips bind. something i should have check before trying to fly this, luckily the feathering shaft bolts were in far enough not to shear which could have been quite dangerous. also there was no lock thread on the grub screw that fixes the tail rotor assembly to its shaft which lead to the assembly popping off.

i dont have anybody local to get the parts i need from so hopefully they'll be here tomorrow.
noobyuk is offline Find More Posts by noobyuk
Old Jul 20, 2010, 12:56 PM
USA, NJ, Hoboken
Joined Jul 2010
3 Posts
Thanks Wedgehog. I appreciate you effort so others can hopefully get a better build. Good luck, hopefully with all the new parts it will fly right. I took everything apart to loctite and everything seems good. The only issue is that it was missing 2 3x4.8x0.3mm washers from the mixing arm. Been trying to find a replacement without buying the entire new arm. No luck so far.
Cfarrell2 is offline Find More Posts by Cfarrell2
Old Jul 20, 2010, 03:13 PM
UK
Joined May 2008
242 Posts
Wasn't your head assembled then mate? My mixing arms were fitted and locktighted. and complete?

Hey guy's and gals, what do you reckon to this.
I have never used the Govenor mode before, mainly because none of the ESC's I use on my other five helies has it, but the ESC I bought for the 500 has.
it was this one. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=10015
Well, I set it for Govenor 6 to 10 poles.
I set the throttle curve on my DX7 tp 0 85 85 85 85
started opening the throttle and she started up as expected and I advanced the throttle slowly and felt the point at which the rpm increased no further and presumed the govenor was doing it's stuff, it certainly sounded correct, so I took off into the hover at about a four feet off the ground, suddenly the power went off, I went to max pitch and just managed a soft landing and then the power all came back on, I thought, well I'm not risking this, so I closed the throttle completely and the motor went to max revs, I hit the throttle hold and it killed it.
No I wasn't in idle up.
I think this thing is faulty, what do you think?

I re set it to auto throttle and re set my throttle curve and had a nice flight, so I don't know.
Old Jul 20, 2010, 06:21 PM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
12,084 Posts
Yes it seems you have had problems of one kind or another with it.
mhills51 is offline Find More Posts by mhills51
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 21, 2010, 01:11 AM
Team Mulikow 3D
Oxfordshire, UK
Joined Jan 2007
4,063 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wedgehog View Post
Wasn't your head assembled then mate? My mixing arms were fitted and locktighted. and complete?

Hey guy's and gals, what do you reckon to this.
I have never used the Govenor mode before, mainly because none of the ESC's I use on my other five helies has it, but the ESC I bought for the 500 has.
it was this one. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=10015
Well, I set it for Govenor 6 to 10 poles.
I set the throttle curve on my DX7 tp 0 85 85 85 85
started opening the throttle and she started up as expected and I advanced the throttle slowly and felt the point at which the rpm increased no further and presumed the govenor was doing it's stuff, it certainly sounded correct, so I took off into the hover at about a four feet off the ground, suddenly the power went off, I went to max pitch and just managed a soft landing and then the power all came back on, I thought, well I'm not risking this, so I closed the throttle completely and the motor went to max revs, I hit the throttle hold and it killed it.
No I wasn't in idle up.
I think this thing is faulty, what do you think?

I re set it to auto throttle and re set my throttle curve and had a nice flight, so I don't know.
The governor mode on most of the low-cost Chinese ESCs just isn't worth bothering with - they just don't work properly, you're better off sticking with a throttle curve
MikeHRC is offline Find More Posts by MikeHRC
Old Jul 21, 2010, 03:59 AM
UK
Joined May 2008
242 Posts
It's terrible though Mike isn't it, they claim it has the feature and if I had been higher it could have detroyed my heli.
Old Jul 21, 2010, 05:07 AM
Team Mulikow 3D
Oxfordshire, UK
Joined Jan 2007
4,063 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wedgehog View Post
It's terrible though Mike isn't it, they claim it has the feature and if I had been higher it could have detroyed my heli.
It's pretty poor, but it seems to be the way that they work - offer all of the features of more expensive units but they don't work properly - the soft-start on many of them is awful as well. I tend to treat them as a very simple, very cheap units - I don't expect the extended features to work (no matter what the manual says) and I am then pleasantly surprised if they do work.

With this approach I am very happy to pay $15 or so for a simple ESC that works in a basic manner, I take the same approach with the clone helis - expect them not to be as good as an Align, but rather than changing everything up front I just change known weaknesses (feathering shafts etc.) and then selectively change bits that cause issues - this has worked well for me for 250s, 450s, and 500s.

It would be nice if they were a bit more honest though "Not as good as a Trex - but a third of the price and 85% of the quality"
MikeHRC is offline Find More Posts by MikeHRC
Old Jul 21, 2010, 06:23 AM
Joined Sep 2007
205 Posts
well got my parts today but i'm still getting some binding of the blade grips i'm beginning to think its some to do with the grips or head being a baw hair bigger than it should be lol

the only way i can it all tightened up without any binding is remove the washer in the pic below from one side.

wonder if i can get a hold of some shims or something that would fit and be slightly thinner, nippy.

edit:

got away with sanding the washer down a bit

omg i got to laugh or i'll go metal, i think the screw that holds the long linkage ball to the swash plate came loose, popped off causing the main blades to smash into the boom!

need main blades, boom, fly bar, tail gear drive assembly, main gears look fine but one of the blade grips is slightly twisted

lol
Last edited by noobyuk; Jul 21, 2010 at 09:50 AM.
Old Jul 21, 2010, 11:53 AM
Gravity - It's the law
USA, CO, Denver
Joined Jul 2008
1,025 Posts
Hello all, I've been lurking on this thread for a couple of weeks since my son JeDoug turned me onto the HK 500GT and this thread and I have read all posts from number 1 to present.

I have built a couple of Trex 450's, a Mini-Titan and a Raptor 50 but,like JeDoug, have been out of helis for the last couple of years. When JeDoug gave me the link to the 500 it seemed like it may be a good way to get back into helis without spending JeDoug's inheritence to do it .

To say I am pleased with the quality is an understatement, I'm REALLY happy with mine.

I'm having a bit of trouble with the HK 401B gyro and we DID change to Trex main gears but other then that everything on mine is HobbyKing stock.

Oh. except the ESC, sorry. I did get a Castle ICE 75 for to go in place of the HK esc after I got a glitch using the HK controller. (Wedgehog note: It was the same controller you just posted a link to regarding the govenor mode).

Anyway, just wanted to introduce myself, I'll be lurking around....

Here's a vid of JeDoug's and at the end, my, HK 500 GT.

Nothing exciting, just test hovering and getting things sorted out.

JeDoug and Yabba's HobbyKing 500GT Trex clone (4 min 38 sec)

Yabba
Yabba is offline Find More Posts by Yabba
Old Jul 21, 2010, 02:41 PM
Joined Sep 2007
205 Posts
nice1 lucky u i'll get mine to hover more than 1 sec some day lol

been stripping the heli down and have come across something else if the elevator linkage ball hadn't of come off the swash plate the one for the pitch servo would have lol

will teach me to check every single little thing from now when buying anything like this from HK lol
Old Jul 21, 2010, 06:49 PM
Bush Pilots Bounce Higher
USA, IL, Champaign
Joined Dec 2006
4,309 Posts
That sounds pretty fast. What is Dougs head speed setting in the ICE ?
Spidious is offline Find More Posts by Spidious
Old Jul 21, 2010, 07:29 PM
Gravity - It's the law
USA, CO, Denver
Joined Jul 2008
1,025 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidious View Post
That sounds pretty fast. What is Dougs head speed setting in the ICE ?
Yeah, he was turning 2700 per ICE with the pack just off the charger and also the previous day with a tach he was at about 2730.

It had dropped to 2600 by the end of the flt...I mean, hover

So the ICE seems to be pretty accurate.

He's a pretty good heli pilot so he can use the extra HS once he eases back into flying. We're both taking it pretty slow right now since it's been a couple of years. I never was any good at it, just some slow forward flt and figure 8's and circle but JeDoug used to do pretty good, he just needs to get the coordination back.

I need to get my HS up a little, it's around 2300 right now but I'm just at 90 on my curve.

We just need to get some flt time to play around with different settings.

Yabba

BTW, I wasn't there but the reason for the Trex main gear was because JeDoug used a Typoon motor the first time out. I don't know what pinon he used but he said the HS was INSANE !!!

The main exploded right before he lifted off so fortunatley the only damage was to the main gear and JeDoug's nerves

He went out and replaced the motor with the stock Align unit.

Y.
Yabba is offline Find More Posts by Yabba
Old Jul 22, 2010, 03:03 PM
UK
Joined May 2008
242 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yabbadaba2 View Post
(Wedgehog note: It was the same controller you just posted a link to regarding the govenor mode).
Yabba
Hello Yabba, welcome to the forum mate. Yes thank you, that's noted. I haven't taken this 500 to the field yet, just a few flights in my garden, setting up the tail etc. It's all rock solid now, but I will keep an eye on it when I thrash it and if I get a single glitch from the motor I will take that ESC out and swap it with an 80 I have in a plank, at least the plank won't drop out the air if the motor stops for a few seconds