HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 27, 2010, 07:17 AM
Joined Jun 2009
1 Posts
Remarkable

False Economy:

Reading this thread from start to finish and my own experience, has provided some insight on some of the cheaper clones. The initial purchase of the various parts, testing, experimentation, assembly, disassembly, and then ordering of some TRex parts to get one of the clones into a similar shape as an original TRex helicopter, has made me realise that buying cheap clones may be a false economy.

Thanks to everyone for this insight.
befetti is offline Find More Posts by befetti
Last edited by befetti; May 05, 2012 at 12:43 AM. Reason: A private message received; "Please review your post".
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 27, 2010, 07:45 AM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
12,160 Posts
First off you should always disassemble any helicopter and reassemble to check for proper loctite. This is also when you can check for any ?? parts that may come up. Second the trex comes in parts in the first place and must be put together from the ground up. Third even the mighty trex has had problems. I had my trex swash come apart in flight
mhills51 is online now Find More Posts by mhills51
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 27, 2010, 09:44 AM
Joined Jan 2010
67 Posts
Thanks for your help.
I will reverse gyro channel in dx6i.
About mg930 it is not a tail servo so with spartan 760 gyro when it is under presure (Throtle punch or turn with full speed ) can not lock.
Do not forget that it is acheap servo .
Before i had ds520 and there was agreat difference.
For blade 400 do you know if i can set eflrg110hl gyro in ds mode with stock blade 400 servo or with mks ds470 ?

Thanks again

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlopeKing View Post
Set servo reverse for that channel.

Also, MG930 is fine for tail if: Gyro in DS mode, with long (10-15mm) servo horn and the throws right down.
markos51 is offline Find More Posts by markos51
Old Apr 27, 2010, 11:23 AM
United States, MI, Royal Oak
Joined Dec 2003
81 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by befetti View Post
Everyone!

By the time that you have read this thread, then done testing, experimentation, and assembly and disassembly, you could have bought 3 TRex Helicopters. Unless you are unemployed, these clones are a waste of time which equals your money! Furthermore, have any of your children lost an eye yet due to bits flying off these helis???

[or am I the only one to have done Economics 101?]

"Astounded"
First post to come and bash? troll anyone?

Actually, I have spent less than half what I would have on a T-Rex 500.

I love this helicopter. It flies every bit as well as an Align. There are a few small problems, but nothing too difficult.
Jon h2 is offline Find More Posts by Jon h2
Old Apr 27, 2010, 02:48 PM
Auckland, New Zealand
Joined Apr 2002
816 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by befetti View Post
Everyone!

By the time that you have read this thread, then done testing, experimentation, and assembly and disassembly, you could have bought 3 TRex Helicopters. Unless you are unemployed, these clones are a waste of time which equals your money! Furthermore, have any of your children lost an eye yet due to bits flying off these helis???

[or am I the only one to have done Economics 101?]

"Astounded"
I am not sure whether to facepalm or lol... troll away little spoiled child.
SlopeKing is offline Find More Posts by SlopeKing
Old Apr 27, 2010, 03:31 PM
New Jersey
Joined Feb 2003
7,980 Posts
I have 2 and I am not up to the cost of a Trex yet haha. After putting 50-60 flights on mine I would never in my right mind buy a Trex. Its cheaper to buy a clone and upgrade a few things. Most of the things you upgrade like spindles, shafts, bearings, etc.....you will be buying eventually with a Trex anyway. The grip bolts and plastic tail case were the only problems with mine.

Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon h2 View Post
First post to come and bash? troll anyone?

Actually, I have spent less than half what I would have on a T-Rex 500.

I love this helicopter. It flies every bit as well as an Align. There are a few small problems, but nothing too difficult.
Tumbler is offline Find More Posts by Tumbler
Old Apr 27, 2010, 03:52 PM
NE Arkansas
Joined Apr 2007
159 Posts
If it flew perfectly, for ever, what fun is that? Besides, this is a leaning experiance for me.

Lets see what I have spent extra... New Align Metal Tail ~$100, main shaft $10, one way bearing ~$10. Helicopter $67. Sounds pretty cheap to me. I didn't need to spend the extra money on the fancy tail, but what the hey, I had a $100 burning a hole in my pocket.

Sounds like befetti has been eating some sour grapes.
dkennedy35 is offline Find More Posts by dkennedy35
Old Apr 27, 2010, 05:55 PM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
12,160 Posts
YES!!! my 500 has been moved from backorder to reserved.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 27, 2010, 06:36 PM
Australia, SA, Para Hills
Joined Oct 2006
134 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by markos51 View Post
For blade 400 do you know if i can set eflrg110hl gyro in ds mode with stock blade 400 servo or with mks ds470 ?

Thanks again
You can't use the stock gyro in ds mode with the stock tail servo. While the servo is digital, the pulse timing isn't compatible with the gyro in digital mode and the servo will burn out. Not sure about the ds470.
Phos is online now Find More Posts by Phos
Old Apr 27, 2010, 07:07 PM
Auckland, New Zealand
Joined Apr 2002
816 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhills51 View Post
YES!!! my 500 has been moved from backorder to reserved.
And theyre sold out instantly... HK obviously cant be THAT awful at making helis XD
Old Apr 27, 2010, 07:32 PM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
12,160 Posts
Quote:
And theyre sold out instantly... HK obviously cant be THAT awful at making helis XD
I think a lot of people are getting these for their first or step up from coax helis. They don't understand that the set ups are not that easy and a lot of problems I have seen in the threads have been set up or electric. I was one of the first people with the HK450 and posted most of the manual of the SA for everyone. If this heli has no manual, I can easily see the same.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 27, 2010, 07:34 PM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
12,160 Posts
I mean just look at my Hoss. It was not even a full heli. I use to call it the franken hoss. lol! Made up from several differant 450 models.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 27, 2010, 07:37 PM
Auckland, New Zealand
Joined Apr 2002
816 Posts
Quote:
I think a lot of people are getting these for their first or step up from coax helis. They don't understand that the set ups are not that easy and a lot of problems I have seen in the threads have been set up or electric. I was one of the first people with the HK450 and posted most of the manual of the SA for everyone. If this heli has no manual, I can easily see the same.
Mine is my first-ever heli (planes for 8 years), so I'm just as new to this as them, a little research and some sim time is not that evil.
Old Apr 27, 2010, 07:54 PM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
12,160 Posts
Quote:
Mine is my first-ever heli (planes for 8 years), so I'm just as new to this as them, a little research and some sim time is not that evil.
How True that is!! I find that a small coax or 180q or mad dog 300. Helps keep the real flying experience up as well. I always have a problem with nerves and flying them in front of people really helps a lot.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 27, 2010, 07:56 PM
Auckland, New Zealand
Joined Apr 2002
816 Posts
Quote:
How True that is!! I find that a small coax or 180q or mad dog 300. Helps keep the real flying experience up as well. I always have a problem with nerves and flying them in front of people really helps a lot.
I am not sure I perceive the meaning of this post?