HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 31, 2010, 07:58 PM
United States, MI, Royal Oak
Joined Dec 2003
81 Posts
Bought a Futaba S9254 for the tail. What a difference, this is how a tail should behave!

The Bluebird, despite its claims, doesn't cut it for a tail.
Jon h2 is offline Find More Posts by Jon h2
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 31, 2010, 08:19 PM
Santee, CA
Joined Jul 2006
89 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlinder View Post
Hi guys,

After weeks of tweaking my heli, I am pretty happy with how it performs.

Like Tumbler's Frankenheli, mine is a HKEXIAlign...GT Lot's of "transplanted" parts. Anyway, the only thing I wish to change now is my ESC. I have a Turnigy Plush 80A, which works fine, but the slow start setting - AIN'T.

HK has the Turnigy Super Brain. anyone using one?

Basically I am looking for an ESC with a REAL slow start that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Mark
I am responding to myself.

How about this one?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Scorpion-Brushle...item5ad18ee5ce

Mark
mlinder is offline Find More Posts by mlinder
Old Mar 31, 2010, 08:23 PM
Santee, CA
Joined Jul 2006
89 Posts
Oops,

I see that ESC doesn't support 6S.

Mark (again)
Old Mar 31, 2010, 10:03 PM
Santee, CA
Joined Jul 2006
89 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumbler View Post
I have noticed that it seems like everytime I fly mine I need more and more left rudder trim. Whats that all about. I had 16 clicks of left trim in it now. I just adjusted the linkage to compensate. It was originally perfect when I first set it up. It has about 30 flights since and now the nose wants to go right all the time.
Hey Tumbler.

Ever figure out your gyro drift issue? Mine drifts a bit nose left. Not too bad, though.

What delay setting do you use? I have a digital servo (DS3400G)

Mark
Old Apr 02, 2010, 05:48 AM
Auckland, New Zealand
Joined Apr 2002
816 Posts
Well... *dusts off keyboard*... its been a good 4 years since I posted here... Just getting into helis (a spontaneous decision I might add, something to do with working in a full-scale heli maintenance base) and I must rid myself of my 12-year-old moniker on here at some point (if someone would PM me how to do that)...

I have just purchased a HK 500GT from a local online store (had it delivered overnight, very impressive) and noticed two problems... There was no supplied hardware to attach the skids, and the canopy was severely distorted and the gelcoat was badly cracked.

I immediately replaced the tail rotor assembly having heard bad things, and upon disassembling my original, discovered a lack of thrust bearings.

the LHS sold me a Hyperion (Scorpion) 3026-1400kv and a 14T pinion (all genuine parts) which I am worried will give me too low a headspeed to be usable on 6S...

Having just read through the entire thread, I fear I may need to replace many of my plastic parts, I used loctite on _everything_ :/

it will be some time before I have all the gear, as I have far too much on my plate for someone with my income xD however this thread has been most useful
SlopeKing is offline Find More Posts by SlopeKing
Old Apr 02, 2010, 10:27 AM
United States, MI, Royal Oak
Joined Dec 2003
81 Posts
I am so pleased with this machine now that I have the tail worked out. I flew 9 packs through it the last two days. I'm getting OK at this inverted thing...
Jon h2 is offline Find More Posts by Jon h2
Old Apr 02, 2010, 02:14 PM
Victim of C.D.O.
United States, TX, Lubbock
Joined Oct 2007
4,081 Posts
Slopeking (HeliKing??)

Glad to hear you're getting into helis.

I think you'll like the power the 1400kv motor gives you. It's more efficient (read more powerful) than the 3026-1600kv. I started with my Scorpion 1400 on 7S 13T pinion. Then after crashing the 4S pack that was part of my 7S setup, I moved to 6S with 15T pinion. That puts the no load headspeed at around 2820RPM.

I run a V-shaped throttle curve with 85% as the middle point and 100% at both ends. This keeps the headspeed pretty constant around 2700RPM, which is a good spot for the 500.

One thing to watch on the 1400 motor is to run a quality ESC. You can run into trouble with the 10 pole motor at high RPM on an ESC that can't send the motor pulses fast enough. I've run a Castle Ice 100 and a Hobbywing Pentium with good results. The Hobbyking SuperSimple ESCs do not do well with high RPM on high pole count motors.

It sounds like you have a pretty good handle on things with your heli's setup.
Have fun with it!
murdnunoc is offline Find More Posts by murdnunoc
Old Apr 02, 2010, 05:57 PM
Auckland, New Zealand
Joined Apr 2002
816 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by murdnunoc View Post
Slopeking (HeliKing??)

Glad to hear you're getting into helis.

I think you'll like the power the 1400kv motor gives you. It's more efficient (read more powerful) than the 3026-1600kv. I started with my Scorpion 1400 on 7S 13T pinion. Then after crashing the 4S pack that was part of my 7S setup, I moved to 6S with 15T pinion. That puts the no load headspeed at around 2820RPM.

I run a V-shaped throttle curve with 85% as the middle point and 100% at both ends. This keeps the headspeed pretty constant around 2700RPM, which is a good spot for the 500.

One thing to watch on the 1400 motor is to run a quality ESC. You can run into trouble with the 10 pole motor at high RPM on an ESC that can't send the motor pulses fast enough. I've run a Castle Ice 100 and a Hobbywing Pentium with good results. The Hobbyking SuperSimple ESCs do not do well with high RPM on high pole count motors.

It sounds like you have a pretty good handle on things with your heli's setup.
Have fun with it!

haha... I normally go by Wiretap actually. my only concern is that because they didn't have a 15T pinion I might have trouble getting off the ground, but we'll see, those calculators can be terrible.

I was planning to use the Turnigy Tz85a (despite its programming card being awful, and out of stock), since half the model shops in this country have gone under lately and I can no longer buy anything more than 40A for anything less than ridiculous prices... I don't know if anybody has had any complaints about this particular controller?

Anyhow... here are a few pictures...

Old Apr 02, 2010, 06:53 PM
Victim of C.D.O.
United States, TX, Lubbock
Joined Oct 2007
4,081 Posts
SlopeKing,
I think that new Turnigy looks pretty good. I haven't personally heard any reports on it, but it looks of good quality and has nice features.

Don't worry a bit about getting off the ground with your 14T. I've flown this heli around on 4S/13T with no problem.

2700RPM headspeed is a 3D headspeed. You can go way below that for sport flying. 10-11 degrees positive and negative pitch on the blades should give you a nice flyer.

You'll also have better alignment of the tail servo pushrod if you flip the servo boom mounts over and hang them off the left side of the heli. Really a spin and a flip. Pull them off the boom, turn them around, then rotate them to the left side. Mounting the servo on the left side of the boom gives it some protection from an errant flybar in a crash.
murdnunoc is offline Find More Posts by murdnunoc
Old Apr 03, 2010, 12:01 AM
Martin - AKA mr.sneezy
Adelaide, Australia
Joined May 2004
1,692 Posts
Progress feedback

I don't much time to test and setup the HK 500GT, I have been flying my 450 though a fair amount. Anyway, I've been fixing minor bugs and doing ground tests on my Ikea rotary table (working well), setting up my replacement Turnigy MG930 tail servo and doing a few power tests.

All good so far but I was VERY surprised to see 1200W power peaks on the HK 500H 1600kv heli motor on my E-logger graphs. I have a CC60A ESC so that's too much for it long term. I use 6S packs with 13T pinion, GOV mode on ESC @ 2500rpm.
I'm getting 58Amp peaks on 10 degree pitch pumps.

I now reduced my pitch limits to 90% to get 40Amps at full pitch. A test flight showed the climbout was still very speedy at that current, so I'm going to fit a 12T pinion and see what 100% pitch does on that.
Martin
PLMS is offline Find More Posts by PLMS
Old Apr 03, 2010, 09:45 AM
Bush Pilots Bounce Higher
USA, IL, Champaign
Joined Dec 2006
4,309 Posts
Geesss..
You need to reduce the size of your pictures before you upload them. Try 800x600 or slightly bigger..

They are HUGE !
Spidious is offline Find More Posts by Spidious
Old Apr 03, 2010, 04:10 PM
Auckland, New Zealand
Joined Apr 2002
816 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidious View Post
Geesss..
You need to reduce the size of your pictures before you upload them. Try 800x600 or slightly bigger..

They are HUGE !
Unfortunately RCG doesn't like dynamic image links, so my thumbnailer doesn't work :/
Old Apr 03, 2010, 05:51 PM
Bush Pilots Bounce Higher
USA, IL, Champaign
Joined Dec 2006
4,309 Posts
You can use a paint shop program to reduce the size before uploading to RCGroups.
Spidious is offline Find More Posts by Spidious
Old Apr 03, 2010, 05:53 PM
Auckland, New Zealand
Joined Apr 2002
816 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidious View Post
You can use a paint shop program to reduce the size before uploading to RCGroups.
Thankyou, I am well aware, however the pictures posted are linked to people who do appreciate hi res photos, and uploading them twice is a waste of space...

Lets get back on topic.
Old Apr 03, 2010, 10:35 PM
NE Arkansas
Joined Apr 2007
159 Posts
I have been flying my HK500GT for about a month learning how to hover. It has been rock solid, no problems. Lately though, my tail will jerk to the right, nose to the left. It only moves about a 1". I do have the stock tail with the thrust bearings that I greased with some really nice Tamiya grease. I am able to move the tail as much as I dare in my training, so I don't think it is a binding issue. I am thinking that the bearings might be an issue. I didn't disassemble the tail and shoe glue the bearings in, like I did on the tail rotor gear.

Are there any other issues that I need to check before this intermittent issue crashes my bird?
dkennedy35 is offline Find More Posts by dkennedy35