HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 25, 2010, 07:25 PM
Santee, CA
Joined Jul 2006
89 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon h2 View Post
Update on the tail: Today I did the Chinese weight mod. I just used a longer bolt with a bunch of washers. WOW! This mod really works. I was able to increase the gain from 25% to 38% and the tail no longer kicks out under high collective.

It was so easy, everyone should do this.

I am using the Blue Bird (hobby king) BMS-661DMG servo with the 401B gyro. It could still use a faster servo, but this now works OK.
Can you post a pic?

Thanks!

Mark
mlinder is offline Find More Posts by mlinder
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 25, 2010, 09:21 PM
United States, MI, Royal Oak
Joined Dec 2003
81 Posts
I did it exactly like this guy's EXI 500. I may try and add some more washers than he used though.

Jon h2 is offline Find More Posts by Jon h2
Old Mar 25, 2010, 11:10 PM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,438 Posts
Hey, that image is copywrited! (just kiddn)
More 500 mods here including the chinese weight mod and parts list.

http://www.mycoolheli.com/500mods/index.html

Hmm, looks like I mispelled outside in that photo.
Melnic is offline Find More Posts by Melnic
Old Mar 27, 2010, 08:41 AM
United States, MO, Fenton
Joined Aug 2005
337 Posts
I maidened my 500gt yesterday. Pretty uneventful. Just had the nose drifting a little to the right, need to do some tweaking. I have not done any mods to mine and it seemed very smooth. I am using an align 500L motor and an align 75amp esc (got both used for a really good price. Running the 401b with a futaba 9650 tail servo. I was using a turnigy 4000 battery pack and it balanced out fine.

I did screw up though. I ordered two of these packs at the end of Jan. Got them and only took the one out to use. Got the second one out the other day and it was puffed. Word of advice, check your batteries when you get them. I just threw that money out the window. I had bought two 3000 3S packs for another project, found they were to big. I'm going to wire them up and use them too.

This 500gt is only going to be an AP camera ship, so no wild 3D or anything.
ddierking is offline Find More Posts by ddierking
Old Mar 27, 2010, 12:59 PM
Joined Jan 2010
67 Posts
They mailed to me to send receiver for check.
For sure they have customer suport.
Let s see

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinBennett View Post
You can use the programmable mixes (if you have a DX6 or better) to map the input from the elevator stick to the output of a channel you aren't using. However it probably won't work for a helicopter which is already using complex swash mixes. It'd be fine for most planes or car though.

Contact details for Horizon UK are here:
http://www.horizonhobby.co.uk/indexa...utcontact.html
I'm not sure what else they have in Europe, but if you phone or email them, they'll be able to tell you.

They were very good about repairing a receiver of mine, they just sent me a new one for free, and very quickly too!

On a different model, I've bound a CF rod to the original metal pushrod with thread and glue. Or you could slide a CF tube over the metal pushrod (and glue it in place)
markos51 is offline Find More Posts by markos51
Old Mar 29, 2010, 02:55 PM
UK
Joined May 2008
242 Posts
What's happened with this 500 thread then? it seems to have ground to a halt!
wedgehog is offline Find More Posts by wedgehog
Old Mar 29, 2010, 04:01 PM
Berkeley, CA
Joined Oct 2004
1,895 Posts
I have problem with the HK500GT, the tail drive gear stripped in less than 30 sec in the air during the test flight. This is the stock HK500GT with plastic tail and has the thrust bearings in the tail grips.

The heli has no vibration, test hover about 4 feet off the ground, heard a loud crack sound ~30 sec and the tail is out, did a piro landing and broke a tail blade.
estarter is offline Find More Posts by estarter
Old Mar 29, 2010, 05:12 PM
Martin - AKA mr.sneezy
Adelaide, Australia
Joined May 2004
1,677 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by estarter View Post
I have problem with the HK500GT, the tail drive gear stripped in less than 30 sec in the air during the test flight. This is the stock HK500GT with plastic tail and has the thrust bearings in the tail grips.

The heli has no vibration, test hover about 4 feet off the ground, heard a loud crack sound ~30 sec and the tail is out, did a piro landing and broke a tail blade.
Oh joy, a new failure mode....
I bet there was a lot of slop (gap) between the spur and the pinion, and very little mesh on the gear teeth. One shears off, then another, then the whole lot. It might mean the location of the tail drive gear shaft is a little too far from the main shaft, or that one of the two gears involved is undersized (diameter).
Martin
PLMS is offline Find More Posts by PLMS
Old Mar 30, 2010, 08:58 PM
Joined Aug 2005
337 Posts
Here is my 500GT ready for pictures.
Old Mar 30, 2010, 09:34 PM
Bush Pilots Bounce Higher
USA, IL, Champaign
Joined Dec 2006
4,309 Posts
Well has plenty of tail blade clearance !
Spidious is offline Find More Posts by Spidious
Old Mar 31, 2010, 06:06 AM
Gone Flying.
Western NY
Joined Nov 2006
2,401 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddierking View Post
Here is my 500GT ready for pictures.
Very nice. Is that the camera mount from XMSeller.com?
ChrisWNY is offline Find More Posts by ChrisWNY
Old Mar 31, 2010, 07:44 AM
Joined Aug 2005
337 Posts
Yes, the camera mount is from xmseller.com. It is has quite a bit of flex in it. I added two threaded rods across the bottom to help stiffen it up. Thinking about doing the same to the middle of the sides.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 09:16 AM
Barcelos - Portugal
Joined Apr 2003
31 Posts
Servo size

Hi,

I'm looking for anew heli that can use 3 standard sized servos thatI have in my spare parts box.

I'm looking for the smallest heli possible to use with this servos and with cheap and readily available spare parts.

Someob«ne told me thatthe Trex 500 and HK 500 GT can use these servos, but from what I've been reading doesn't seem possible.

Can anyone enlighten me about this subject?

Thanks,

J Fonseca
J Fonseca is offline Find More Posts by J Fonseca
Old Mar 31, 2010, 02:20 PM
Team Mulikow 3D
Oxfordshire, UK
Joined Jan 2007
4,071 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Fonseca View Post
Hi,

I'm looking for anew heli that can use 3 standard sized servos thatI have in my spare parts box.

I'm looking for the smallest heli possible to use with this servos and with cheap and readily available spare parts.

Someob«ne told me thatthe Trex 500 and HK 500 GT can use these servos, but from what I've been reading doesn't seem possible.

Can anyone enlighten me about this subject?

Thanks,

J Fonseca
You can use them in a Gaui 425 (same size as the Trex 500 / HK500GT) or Gaui 550
MikeHRC is offline Find More Posts by MikeHRC
Old Mar 31, 2010, 05:39 PM
Santee, CA
Joined Jul 2006
89 Posts
Good slow start ESC?

Hi guys,

After weeks of tweaking my heli, I am pretty happy with how it performs.

Like Tumbler's Frankenheli, mine is a HKEXIAlign...GT Lot's of "transplanted" parts. Anyway, the only thing I wish to change now is my ESC. I have a Turnigy Plush 80A, which works fine, but the slow start setting - AIN'T.

HK has the Turnigy Super Brain. anyone using one?

Basically I am looking for an ESC with a REAL slow start that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Mark
mlinder is offline Find More Posts by mlinder