HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 18, 2010, 09:46 AM
Gone Flying.
Western NY
Joined Nov 2006
2,401 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melnic View Post
You should not have to power on/off the Gyro if you are changing gain in the Tx, after all, it's monitoring that and you can switch back and forth from Rate to HH.

Agreed, the settings do affect the Gyro on-the-fly, however, I think with these cheap off-brand Gyro's (such as HobbyKing), they don't quite adjust the same way they do once they are reinitialized by a power cycle. For example, I would hover my heli, and crank up the Gyro gain until the point where the tail wagged, I would then land the heli, power cycle it, hover it again, tail might not wag the 2nd time with all settings remaining the same within the radio. Now, this *may* be caused in part by the battery losing juice, but I'm not convinced the battery is 100% at fault as I've switched batteries during Gyro testing and have had the same results. I always find that power cycling is the best way to ensure the Gyro behaves consistently regardless of how much juice is coming out of the battery.

MikeHRC - you're correct, I was explaining how to set things up in the Gyro select mode. Others just use the Gear channel and set things up via EPA adjustment within the gear channel rather than using the Gyro select menu.
ChrisWNY is offline Find More Posts by ChrisWNY
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 18, 2010, 09:47 AM
New Jersey
Joined Feb 2003
8,048 Posts
Mark,

When i go below 50 in HH mode, the light does not go out.

Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlinder View Post

can you do me a favor and see if your HH light on the gyro goes off when you go below 50% gain on your Tx? Mine does not. My Logictech 2100T HH light goes off at about 50% on the Tx, meaning it's in rate mode. Just curious.

Mark
Tumbler is offline Find More Posts by Tumbler
Old Mar 18, 2010, 09:58 AM
Gone Flying.
Western NY
Joined Nov 2006
2,401 Posts
Mark/Brian -

I think we need to figure out how you are handling your Gyro programming. It seems to me that you guys are using the GEAR channel EPA values to set gain in rate and HH modes. I may be wrong here (and I'm sure I'll be corrected), but I thought you had to be in the NEGATIVE range (-25% for example, within the DX7) to be in rate mode if you're using the GEAR channel EPA mode to set gain, so the higher the negative value, the higher the gain in RATE mode.

It's definitely mind boggling why the various Radio manufacturers couldn't all agree on a standard regarding how to deal with Gyro gain adjustment from the radio. You have to use some obscure math formula to figure out "true" gain with Spektrum, the gain setting within a Futaba radio is "true" gain, no math necessary.
Last edited by ChrisWNY; Mar 18, 2010 at 10:04 AM.
Old Mar 18, 2010, 10:03 AM
New Jersey
Joined Feb 2003
8,048 Posts
I am using the gear channel yes. I don;t use rate mode other than just to get everything set up mechanically. I had it at -50% in rate mode for setting it up and have never touched it. I have it at +90 in HH mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisWNY View Post
Mark/Brian -

I think we need to figure out how you are handling your Gyro programming. It seems to me that you guys are using the GEAR channel EPA values to set gain in rate and HH modes. I may be wrong here (and I'm sure I'll be corrected), but I thought you had to be in the NEGATIVE range (-25% for example, within the DX7) to be in rate mode if you're using the GEAR channel EPA mode to set gain, so the higher the negative value, the higher the gain in RATE mode.
Old Mar 18, 2010, 10:08 AM
New Jersey
Joined Feb 2003
8,048 Posts
yeah and why is expo for futaba negative and positive for jr haha. I have a gyro gain setting on my tx. Does anyone use that or do you all just use the gear channel and travel adjustment?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisWNY View Post
Mark/Brian -

It's definitely mind boggling why the various Radio manufacturers couldn't all agree on a standard regarding how to deal with Gyro gain adjustment from the radio. You have to use some obscure math formula to figure out "true" gain with Spektrum, the gain setting within a Futaba radio is "true" gain, no math necessary.
Old Mar 18, 2010, 11:08 AM
New Jersey
Joined Feb 2003
8,048 Posts
I have noticed that it seems like everytime I fly mine I need more and more left rudder trim. Whats that all about. I had 16 clicks of left trim in it now. I just adjusted the linkage to compensate. It was originally perfect when I first set it up. It has about 30 flights since and now the nose wants to go right all the time.
Old Mar 18, 2010, 11:14 AM
Arlington, TX
Joined Jul 2009
1,255 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumbler View Post
I have noticed that it seems like everytime I fly mine I need more and more left rudder trim. Whats that all about. I had 16 clicks of left trim in it now. I just adjusted the linkage to compensate. It was originally perfect when I first set it up. It has about 30 flights since and now the nose wants to go right all the time.
Servo creep?

RJ
rowdyjoe is offline Find More Posts by rowdyjoe
Old Mar 18, 2010, 11:15 AM
Bundesrepublik Deutschland, Rheinland-Pfalz, Kaiserslautern
Joined Apr 2007
1,009 Posts
There could be other reasons for this, like a belt slowly getting longer and longer. If you have gyro drift, check if it's only in the first minutes of a flight. If so, check the trim setting at the end of the flight and adjust the linkages, so you have zero trim then.
daybyter is offline Find More Posts by daybyter
Old Mar 18, 2010, 11:15 AM
New Jersey
Joined Feb 2003
8,048 Posts
whats that mean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowdyjoe View Post
Servo creep?

RJ
Old Mar 18, 2010, 11:19 AM
New Jersey
Joined Feb 2003
8,048 Posts
The trim change sems to be consistent throughout the whole flight. I am using an Align belt which is sooooo much betetr than the stock belt as far as kleeping its tension, but that's not to say it could not be quite as tight as it used to be. Hard to tell because it, seems like it is perfect....not a difference I can measure for example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daybyter View Post
There could be other reasons for this, like a belt slowly getting longer and longer. If you have gyro drift, check if it's only in the first minutes of a flight. If so, check the trim setting at the end of the flight and adjust the linkages, so you have zero trim then.
Old Mar 18, 2010, 11:33 AM
Arlington, TX
Joined Jul 2009
1,255 Posts
Some servos (especially on the tail) must be "trimmed" to prevent them from moving on their own. It's done with sub-trim and you adjust it until the servo stops moving on it's own (it creeps).
I recommend you go to the "Helifreak" forum and do a search for "servo creep". There are excellent instructions there that will walk you through the steps to adjust it out.

RJ
rowdyjoe is offline Find More Posts by rowdyjoe
Old Mar 18, 2010, 11:37 AM
New Jersey
Joined Feb 2003
8,048 Posts
RJ,

The instructions for my gyro warn specifically against using subtrim though. I would love to research on helifreak, however a week after I joined I got banned and have contacted the administrator who said they don;t show me on the banned list and if its not right there is nothing I can do. The guy was a real jerk!

Hi,

That IP is not banned. 64.12.117.5 is not banned. I am not sure what is going on with AOL, but unfortunately there is nothing I can do about it.

Thank you,

Will

On Feb 10, 2010, at 4:11 PM, Tumbler @ HeliFreak wrote:

>
> The following message was sent to you via the HeliFreak Contact Us form by Tumbler ( mailto:bdicinti@aol.com ).
>
> --------------------------------
>
> I was not given a reason for being banned? I don't even think I have 3 posts, non of which were offensive or anything, so not sure why I would be banned. Please let me kow.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Brian
>

Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowdyjoe View Post
Some servos (especially on the tail) must be "trimmed" to prevent them from moving on their own. It's done with sub-trim and you adjust it until the servo stops moving on it's own (it creeps).
I recommend you go to the "Helifreak" forum and do a search for "servo creep". There are excellent instructions there that will walk you through the steps to adjust it out.

RJ
Old Mar 18, 2010, 11:44 AM
New Jersey
Joined Feb 2003
8,048 Posts
no one there will answer my emails or tell me why I am banned except to tell me I am no banned, yet I can't get on through any of the 3 computers I have tried.
Old Mar 18, 2010, 01:21 PM
Gone Flying.
Western NY
Joined Nov 2006
2,401 Posts
Sheesh, that is odd - I wonder if someone spoofed your IP or email and wreaked havoc in their forums, I have had an account there for over a year now but really have only watched the videos and haven't posted. Will it allow you to register a new screen name, or are you blocked immediately just by entering the site? Sometimes message forums will automatically block traffic from "blacklisted" IP's, and this software can often be faulty which can result in what you are experiencing. The fact that the admin was a real jerk in his response obviously isn't helping. Sounds like that admin doesn't give a #@%! about his own message forum...

I guess my first post will be directed within the complaints area of their forum, letting them know that their forum software is blocking legit users...

[EDIT] Brian - I created a new thread within the website help area of helifreak letting them know that a legit user has been banned (I provided your screen name) for no apparent reason and that their admin, "Will", didn't exactly seem willing to help. Hopefully they'll check into it further for you and fix the issue.
Last edited by ChrisWNY; Mar 18, 2010 at 01:28 PM.
Old Mar 18, 2010, 01:28 PM
Joined Oct 2009
9 Posts
How this electronic package for the HK500GT? I'd like to keep it low budget.
mccheli is offline Find More Posts by mccheli