HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 17, 2010, 09:57 PM
Santee, CA
Joined Jul 2006
89 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumbler View Post
Hi Mark,

Now that i have a fast servo(Fiutabe 9257)I am up to 90% and don't have any wag either. it holds just fine so I am not going to complain. Yeah usually once you get up to 75% it really starts wagging with other gyros.

Brian
Tumbler,

I don't think my GY48V gyro is working properly. I have a little drift, and I have cranked it up to 87% with no change. I can't get it to wag, which tells me that perhaps no gain changes are happening. Possible?

Here is why I think there is a problem. Using a DX7, I have the gyro on the gear channel. The single wire signal plug is plugged in properly. The gyro switches from HH (solid light) to Rate (blinking light) when I flip the gear switch. That's fine. However, if I go into the Travel Adjust menu and adjust the gear channel to a value to under 50%, the red light should start blinking (rate mode), shouldn't it? Well, it's not.

Does this make any sense? Could it be a Rx problem. If so, I would think the gyro would change from HH to rate when i flip the switch. I dunno.

Maybe I am brain farting again. it wouldn't be the first time.

Any ideas?

Mark
mlinder is offline Find More Posts by mlinder
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 17, 2010, 10:04 PM
Martin - AKA mr.sneezy
Adelaide, Australia
Joined May 2004
1,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlinder View Post

Does this make any sense? Could it be a Rx problem. If so, I would think the gyro would change from HH to rate when i flip the switch. I dunno.

Any ideas?

Mark
Yep, plug a spare servo into ch 5 for a test. It should flip from end to end at 100% gains when switching between the modes. When you adjust the gain down it should move closer to center as you do it.

Martin
PLMS is offline Find More Posts by PLMS
Old Mar 17, 2010, 10:19 PM
Santee, CA
Joined Jul 2006
89 Posts
Martin,

Thanks for your help.

I did what you suggested. I unplugged the single wire plug and plugged in a servo. When I adjust the gain, the servo indeed moves. So the Rx appears fine.

So I guess the gyro is messed up? I just got it about two weeks ago. I hope Hobbypartz will replace it - but I don't have the package anymore.

Mark
Old Mar 18, 2010, 03:19 AM
Team Mulikow 3D
Oxfordshire, UK
Joined Jan 2007
3,901 Posts
Quote:
Tumbler,

I don't think my GY48V gyro is working properly. I have a little drift, and I have cranked it up to 87% with no change. I can't get it to wag, which tells me that perhaps no gain changes are happening. Possible?

Here is why I think there is a problem. Using a DX7, I have the gyro on the gear channel. The single wire signal plug is plugged in properly. The gyro switches from HH (solid light) to Rate (blinking light) when I flip the gear switch. That's fine. However, if I go into the Travel Adjust menu and adjust the gear channel to a value to under 50%, the red light should start blinking (rate mode), shouldn't it? Well, it's not.

Any ideas?

Mark
No - what is happening re the HH / Rate mode is correct - using Gear mode you get 2 settings a "+" with the Gear switch up and a "-" with th eGear switch down - the + setting is for HH (Switch up) and the negative setting is for Rate (Switch down). Use 0 - 140 for both i.e. HH = 0 - +140, Rate = 0 to -140. The Gyro may well work 0 - 50 and 50 - 100 but the TX is making a conversion to -140 - 0 - +140

<Rant on>
It really annoys me when people generically say 0 - 50 = Rate and 50 - 100 = HH, it's just not always true - it depends on the Tx set up and Tx model. And don't get me started on "Never use trim on a Gyro" - I have one (Gaui 210) where the manual specifically says to do so.
<Rant off>

So just set up the two values - Gear switch up = HH, Gear Switch down = Rate and 0 to 140 for each
MikeHRC is offline Find More Posts by MikeHRC
Old Mar 18, 2010, 07:00 AM
Santee, CA
Joined Jul 2006
89 Posts
Mike,

Thanks for yor input.

I use a DX7 and after watching finless videos and my own experience setting gytos on a Trex 250, 450, and JR Super Voyager, the HH gain settings (on Logictech 2100t gyros) have always been in the 70's for HH.

Maybe this gyro's guts are just different where it takes more of the 0-140 travel to have an effect. I haven't gone to 90 or above yet. I guess I'll try that first before declaring the gyro has a problem.

It's just that when I use the Logictech and adjust the trim below around 50 in HH mode, the green HH mode light goes off, meaning it is now in rate mode. I would have thought this GY48V would do the same thing.

Thanks.

Mark
Old Mar 18, 2010, 07:25 AM
New Jersey
Joined Feb 2003
7,904 Posts
I got the ALign landing gear and boom supports on. It is slowly becoming a Trex.

Brian
Tumbler is offline Find More Posts by Tumbler
Old Mar 18, 2010, 07:39 AM
Gone Flying.
Western NY
Joined Nov 2006
2,401 Posts
Quote:
I got the ALign landing gear and boom supports on. It is slowly becoming a Trex.

Brian
Yeah, I went with the Align struts/gear after my indoor incident, heli came plummeting down and the stock landing gear was smashed to oblivion. The Align landing gear assembly is nice, and for ~$10 you're still hardly approaching the cost of a T-Rex 500 kit. Once you start to replace the head components with 100% Align parts (i.e. all the control arms, washout base, etc.), then I would say you are definitely pushing yourself toward a T-Rex 500. When it comes to head replacement, I think you're far better off just ordering another HK-500GT kit, it costs at least double to replace all the head parts with Align than it does to just order a new kit and get a fully assembled head.
ChrisWNY is offline Find More Posts by ChrisWNY
Last edited by ChrisWNY; Mar 18, 2010 at 08:00 AM.
Old Mar 18, 2010, 08:50 AM
New Jersey
Joined Feb 2003
7,904 Posts
I just flew mine again this morning before work and mine has drift too. I don't notice it when I am hovering I guess because I just correct for it, but npow that you mentioned it I really saw the drift when in verted since I am not quite as comfortable. I don't think its any better or worse than something like the HK 401, which I also have but I have read that gain settings are much higher on the GY48. I think if we want no drift, we need better gyros.

Brian

Quote:
Mike,

Thanks for yor input.

I use a DX7 and after watching finless videos and my own experience setting gytos on a Trex 250, 450, and JR Super Voyager, the HH gain settings (on Logictech 2100t gyros) have always been in the 70's for HH.

Maybe this gyro's guts are just different where it takes more of the 0-140 travel to have an effect. I haven't gone to 90 or above yet. I guess I'll try that first before declaring the gyro has a problem.

It's just that when I use the Logictech and adjust the trim below around 50 in HH mode, the green HH mode light goes off, meaning it is now in rate mode. I would have thought this GY48V would do the same thing.

Thanks.

Mark
Old Mar 18, 2010, 08:53 AM
New Jersey
Joined Feb 2003
7,904 Posts
Yeah you are right. I would but another HK kit and just replace the problem areas like the shafts, gear case, etc with Align before buying an Align. As I fly it more and get a litle better I am starting to see why better equipment makes a difference because I feel like the heli is not doing exactly what I want as fast as I want. That is all electronics related though I believe. The heli itself seems to be really good.

Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisWNY View Post
Yeah, I went with the Align struts/gear after my indoor incident, heli came plummeting down and the stock landing gear was smashed to oblivion. The Align landing gear assembly is nice, and for ~$10 you're still hardly approaching the cost of a T-Rex 500 kit. Once you start to replace the head components with 100% Align parts (i.e. all the control arms, washout base, etc.), then I would say you are definitely pushing yourself toward a T-Rex 500. When it comes to head replacement, I think you're far better off just ordering another HK-500GT kit, it costs at least double to replace all the head parts with Align than it does to just order a new kit and get a fully assembled head.
Old Mar 18, 2010, 08:59 AM
Santee, CA
Joined Jul 2006
89 Posts
Quote:
I just flew mine again this morning before work and mine has drift too. I don't notice it when I am hovering I guess because I just correct for it, but npow that you mentioned it I really saw the drift when in verted since I am not quite as comfortable. I don't think its any better or worse than something like the HK 401, which I also have but I have read that gain settings are much higher on the GY48. I think if we want no drift, we need better gyros.

Brian
Given my minimal flying skills it works fine. I just wondered if the gain adjustment in the tx is being read by the gyro, as the higher I go in gain - I have gone up to 90% now (too chicken to try it higher), i see no difference in drift, nor do i get any wag - at all.

can you do me a favor and see if your HH light on the gyro goes off when you go below 50% gain on your Tx? Mine does not. My Logictech 2100T HH light goes off at about 50% on the Tx, meaning it's in rate mode. Just curious.

Mark
Old Mar 18, 2010, 09:06 AM
New Jersey
Joined Feb 2003
7,904 Posts
I have it with me at work so I will check when I get a chance. When I first set it up in the garage I could not get the gain to feel any differnt but the first time I took it outside it wagged. i have since increased it to where it was but it does not wag. Wierd. Try cranking it up and hover it up 2-3 feet.gs back and forth and you bring her down.

Quote:
Given my minimal flying skills it works fine. I just wondered if the gain adjustment in the tx is being read by the gyro, as the higher I go in gain - I have gone up to 90% now (too chicken to try it higher), i see no difference in drift, nor do i get any wag - at all.

can you do me a favor and see if your HH light on the gyro goes off when you go below 50% gain on your Tx? Mine does not. My Logictech 2100T HH light goes off at about 50% on the Tx, meaning it's in rate mode. Just curious.

Mark
Old Mar 18, 2010, 09:09 AM
Gone Flying.
Western NY
Joined Nov 2006
2,401 Posts
Quote:

Mark
Mark -

Have you double-checked to make sure you assigned your HH and Rate mode values to the correct flight modes (within the Gyro setup menu - Spektrum DX7), etc.? For example, within the GYRO menu on the DX7, I set the first mode (0) to HH, 75% for example, and the second I set to RATE mode (1), 38% (since anything below 50% is RATE mode). Then you have to assign either (0) or (1) to your flight modes. I essentially assign (0), which is HH mode, to every flight mode except HOLD, which I assign RATE mode. No use trying to fly a heli in RATE mode as it is a recipe for crashing, and I like RATE mode on hold since it allows me to gauge how well I have mechanically centered the pitch slider arm on the tail shaft when the heli is not spinning.

Additionally, when you make adjustments to the Gyro values, you need to power the Gyro off/on in order for the changes to take effect, at least that's what I've found when Gyro sensitivity is controlled by the Tx and not the Gyro itself. So when you make gain adjustments, just disconnect the LiPo from your heli, make the changes in the radio, and power the heli back on, then hover a few feet off the ground. Once you get to the point of wagging, back off a few clicks of gain within the Gyro menu, then power cycle the heli, that should give you a good tail lock across the board.
ChrisWNY is offline Find More Posts by ChrisWNY
Last edited by ChrisWNY; Mar 18, 2010 at 09:15 AM.
Old Mar 18, 2010, 09:21 AM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,428 Posts
You should not have to power on/off the Gyro if you are changing gain in the Tx, after all, it's monitoring that and you can switch back and forth from Rate to HH.
YOu can see changes in gain affecting the gyro in a bench test:
http://www.mycoolheli.com/gyrobenchtest.html
Leave the gyro in hh mode and put your finger on the tail slider.
Rotate the heli back and forth.
Note current gain setting.
Now move the gain way down to like 10% then try again, tail slider should move much less.
Now crank it up to 140%
You should see tail slider move more with the same amount of tail rotation.
HH vs. Rate mode should be easy to tell, cause when you rotate in HH mode, the tail slider stays put. In rate mode, it just BUMPS to one side but when you stop moving it, it comes back to near center.
Melnic is offline Find More Posts by Melnic
Old Mar 18, 2010, 09:31 AM
Team Mulikow 3D
Oxfordshire, UK
Joined Jan 2007
3,901 Posts
Quote:
Hmmmm - I'll check, I have a 2100T on my T250 so can't say without checking, but I thought that it worked the same way.

Cheers,

Mike.
Old Mar 18, 2010, 09:42 AM
Team Mulikow 3D
Oxfordshire, UK
Joined Jan 2007
3,901 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisWNY View Post
Mark -

Have you double-checked to make sure you assigned your HH and Rate mode values to the correct flight modes (within the Gyro setup menu - Spektrum DX7), etc.? For example, within the GYRO menu on the DX7, I set the first mode (0) to HH, 75% for example, and the second I set to RATE mode (1), 38% (since anything below 50% is RATE mode). Then you have to assign either (0) or (1) to your flight modes. I essentially assign (0), which is HH mode, to every flight mode except HOLD, which I assign RATE mode. No use trying to fly a heli in RATE mode as it is a recipe for crashing, and I like RATE mode on hold since it allows me to gauge how well I have mechanically centered the pitch slider arm on the tail shaft when the heli is not spinning.

Additionally, when you make adjustments to the Gyro values, you need to power the Gyro off/on in order for the changes to take effect, at least that's what I've found when Gyro sensitivity is controlled by the Tx and not the Gyro itself. So when you make gain adjustments, just disconnect the LiPo from your heli, make the changes in the radio, and power the heli back on, then hover a few feet off the ground. Once you get to the point of wagging, back off a few clicks of gain within the Gyro menu, then power cycle the heli, that should give you a good tail lock across the board.
Mark,

Perhaps this is where the confusion is coming from - there are 2 ways of setting up your gyro on the DX7. Chris is explaining how to do it in Gyro Select mode (I think that is what it is called) - I was explaining how to do it using the Gain lead plugged into the Gear channel and using the EPA adjustments on the Gear channel to set the gain. The way that I described works as per my previous post and you have the same settings in all flight modes (Normal, Idle 1, Idle 2) - Chris's way allows different settings in the different modes, so perhaps the conversion of gain settings is different.

Cheers,
Mike.