Wow...That's pretty nice of Tribum.
HeliTB is online now Find More Posts by HeliTB
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 15, 2010, 08:30 AM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
Full size Servo mod added to the mod list.
BTW, If you want a bigger battery, look at the tray mod.

http://www.mycoolheli.com/500mods/index.html

I don't like bends in my Tail rod cause that makes it flex more under load.
If you don't have the chinese weight mod, that load will get really hard during backwards flight and hard piros and will add a bit of bouncy flex at the end unless you have top notch servos and/or gyro.

I just recently went to CF tail rod in a 450 and I think I'm going to start to work that into my other helicopters. For my 500, I still want to see if I can work up a single guide in the middle to knock out any vibe rattling.
Melnic is offline Find More Posts by Melnic
Last edited by Melnic; Mar 15, 2010 at 09:49 AM.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 08:44 AM
Victim of C.D.O.
United States, TX, Lubbock
Joined Oct 2007
4,081 Posts
Well, I got to see my 500 crash this weekend.

I've had about four flights on the bird, mostly consisting of power system tuning and tail setup. I was doing some pitch pumps to dial in the Logictech 2100T gyro and on the third or fourth pitch pump, the power just instantly stopped. If I'd had my ninja reflexes tuned, I could have autorotated the 20ft. or so for a landing, but the headspeed went bye-bye too fast for me. The heli just fell down and nosed in to the grass.

I'm amazed that the only damage is a broken battery tray and pretty crunched canopy. Blades are fine! That's a first for me!
Oh, and the 4S battery in my 7S pack has a hole punched in one of the cells, so it looks like I'll be running 6S now.

I initially couldn't figure out the power loss, as the main gear was fine, shaft pins intact, and I didn't smell anything burned. But then plugging the Ice 100A ESC into the motor and trying to throttle up on the bench revealed it as smoke started to stream out of the ESC.

So it's at least good to know what the failure was. I was worried it was going to be one of those "mystery" crashes!
murdnunoc is offline Find More Posts by murdnunoc
Old Mar 15, 2010, 09:20 AM
Gone Flying.
Western NY
Joined Nov 2006
2,401 Posts
murdnunoc -

Bummer about the crash, did the internal BEC fry or was it something else on the PCB? Can't remember if you mentioned whether or not you used the ESC BEC or an external BEC of some sort. You lucked out in terms of damage, sounds like the head is still OK and none of the gears were stripped. That HK-500GT frame is a fairly heavy duty aluminum, nice to know the inner components have some crash protection...
ChrisWNY is offline Find More Posts by ChrisWNY
Old Mar 15, 2010, 09:50 AM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
murdnunoc, what Motor are you using?
What pinion w/ a 7S?
Old Mar 15, 2010, 04:50 PM
Victim of C.D.O.
Joined Oct 2007
4,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisWNY View Post
murdnunoc -

Bummer about the crash, did the internal BEC fry or was it something else on the PCB? Can't remember if you mentioned whether or not you used the ESC BEC or an external BEC of some sort. You lucked out in terms of damage, sounds like the head is still OK and none of the gears were stripped. That HK-500GT frame is a fairly heavy duty aluminum, nice to know the inner components have some crash protection...
I looks like only the motor power part of the ESC fried, which is good since I was running the switching BEC built into the ESC. I think I'll run separate now after seeing even a Castle blow itself.

The blades were nearly stopped by the time the heli hit the ground, so that no doubt saved the head parts.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 05:12 PM
Victim of C.D.O.
Joined Oct 2007
4,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melnic View Post
murdnunoc, what Motor are you using?
What pinion w/ a 7S?
I've been on the Scorpion HK3026-1400kv motor for the 7S setup. 13T pinion with an 85% throttle V-curve and no governor.

With the same pinion, 1400kv on 7S and 1600kv on 6S get nearly identical headspeeds.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 05:15 PM
Martin - AKA mr.sneezy
Adelaide, Australia
Joined May 2004
1,678 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by markos51 View Post
I would like to ask some think off topic.
I have a 6100 receiver but the elevator channel is not working.
Can you tell me if there is a way to repair it or if not how can i use this receiver in another model (plane car etc) ?
Not to dwell on the off topic post. However I'll add that I've seen that channel loss issue on a few Spektrum receivers, and each time it was a fractured solder joint on a SMD resistor leading to the servo pins. Easy fixed only IF somebody can re-flow the joint for you.
PLMS is offline Find More Posts by PLMS
Old Mar 16, 2010, 09:56 PM
United States, MI, Royal Oak
Joined Dec 2003
81 Posts
Warning: Flybar paddle failure!

I haven't posted on here in years, but have been following this thread for a while and recently bought an HK500GT.

Tonight I got the assembly completed and decided to run it up on the floor without the blades. Everything was nice and smooth until the paddle launched itself across the room! It put a nice dent in my freezer.

EDIT: it appears that the loctite was the culprit. Avoid getting any on the plastic parts of the heli.

Jon h2 is offline Find More Posts by Jon h2
Last edited by Jon h2; Mar 17, 2010 at 07:09 PM.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 10:27 PM
Santee, CA
Joined Jul 2006
89 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumbler View Post
I can't find the battery to my video camera, but my girlfriend was nice enough to shoot some video with her regular camera for me. The quality is not the best, but shows some of what this thing can do with cheapo stuff.

Turnigy 930 cyclic servos
hs-82mg TR servo
GY48 Gyro
Hobbymate Motor
Flyermate 80a ESC
6s 3000 20c Turnigy battery

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_50dUrd5Hl4

Brian
Hi again Tumbler,

Weather has been a bit windy for me to do any flying, but I have hovered the HK500GT a few times with the GY48V gyro. It holds fine, but what is weird is the gain is at 84% and I still have no wag. But it holds. I haven't set the gain any higher than that. The other helis I have use Logictech 2100T's and the gain is at 72% once wag is taken out.

Isn't 84% or higher odd? I am using stock tail blades, and wondered if stiffer ones would affect the gain number

Mark
mlinder is offline Find More Posts by mlinder
Old Mar 16, 2010, 11:19 PM
Gone Flying.
Western NY
Joined Nov 2006
2,401 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon h2 View Post
I haven't posted on here in years, but have been following this thread for a while and recently bought an HK500GT.

Tonight I got the assembly completed and decided to run it up on the floor without the blades. Everything was nice and smooth until the paddle launched itself across the room! It put a nice dent in my freezer.

Lesson learned: BUY ALIGN PADDLES!
I've never actually used the stock paddles, and those who are using them haven't reported any failures, however, I'll make a note of it on the first page. We'll wait and see how others respond, and whether or not they had issues with the flybar paddles.
Old Mar 17, 2010, 02:04 AM
Chillaxin dude!
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Joined Apr 2003
4,793 Posts
to be fair, the headspeed with blades not attached would be quite a lot higher than the headspeed with the blades on. So a failure on the flybar paddles can not strictly be called a fault. I have had similar with a genuine TREX450 that I spun up without blades.
BulletMaster is offline Find More Posts by BulletMaster
Old Mar 17, 2010, 07:16 AM
United States, MI, Royal Oak
Joined Dec 2003
81 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BulletMaster View Post
to be fair, the headspeed with blades not attached would be quite a lot higher than the headspeed with the blades on. So a failure on the flybar paddles can not strictly be called a fault. I have had similar with a genuine TREX450 that I spun up without blades.
The head speed was not very high - the throttle was only at 30%. I am confident it was lower than the 3k that some people run their 500's at. Plus, the paddles had very little loading on them and there was no cyclic being given.

Be careful with these things!
Jon h2 is offline Find More Posts by Jon h2
Last edited by Jon h2; Mar 17, 2010 at 07:27 AM.
Old Mar 17, 2010, 08:04 AM
Gone Flying.
Western NY
Joined Nov 2006
2,401 Posts
One other piece of info to add - if you used any blue Loctite to lock in the paddle set screw, and any of that loctite made contact with the plastic paddle, that stuff eats through some types of plastic like you wouldn't believe. I've seen it dissolve plastic servo clips in a matter of minutes, causing the plastic to shatter and break up like hard candy. The way that paddle broke *almost* makes it appear as though Loctite may have caused the plastic to weaken and split apart once you spun up the head.
Old Mar 17, 2010, 09:36 AM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
Has anyone been able to run thier Mystery 1700Kv motor from Dealextreme yet?
Mystery 1700Kv from Dx

I got mine in a week or two ago, I'm finally going to test it. I ran it free spinning with my eagletree and its comming up 1720Kv so at least it matches the specs. It's physically the same size as the Turnigy Typhoon in diameter and hieght. It has a cooling fan that is machined into the outer bell. 8 poles. Hopefully, I'll get a flight out of it this weekend.

I of course removed the label prior to installing.

3mm screws for mounting 6mm long. If you use 8mm, make sure you use a washer or two so you don't hit wires.