SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 13, 2009, 12:00 PM
Surprise, AZ
Joined Jun 2009
121 Posts
Discussion
Finally flew it!

Hey ya'll,
New guy here. I have been into RC trucks and rock crawlers for a few years now and flown my Llama v4 for the last two years or so, but always been more interested in planes. I bought my first about 6 months or so I guess, but hadn't had a chance to fly it. I finally got to last night! AWESOME! It is nothing special, just a Hobbyzone Firebird Phantom I picked up for 62 bucks including shipping from Amain. But MAN! I had a blast! I have been messing around with the FMS simulator for a while now and was surprised how well it seemed to translate over. I only got to run one battery through it last night, but I was able to do 3 touch and go's and a loop and no crashes! What a blast. Now I need to get a buddy or two to go out with me and convince them that they are interested in flying too. HAHA! Anyway, just thought I would stop by and say howdy since you will probably be seeing me around now that I have got the bug.
MusicManiac is offline Find More Posts by MusicManiac
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 13, 2009, 12:37 PM
USA, CA, Martinez
Joined May 2009
147 Posts
Congrats on your maiden and welcome to the message board. Were you nervous? I was on my maiden.
-Chris
chrisellington is offline Find More Posts by chrisellington
Old Oct 13, 2009, 01:03 PM
Surprise, AZ
Joined Jun 2009
121 Posts
I was a bit nervous. Especially since I had about 5 mph of wind and occasional gusts, but I had waited so long to fly it I decided to go for it anyways. But, once I was in the air, all my nervousness went away for sure. That little plane handled the winds like a champ and was so easy to fly! My little boy is only 18 months right now, but in a few years he will definitely have his own to go fly with dad!
Old Oct 13, 2009, 01:43 PM
Joined Jul 2008
1,817 Posts
Music,

Ha, that whole it is for the kid excuse doesn’t work for very long so make sure it’s on a plane you, I mean the little guy really would have a difficult time getting past Mom. Glad you had good luck as I intend to give the same thing a shot here after Santa leaves a set up for the me um I mean the kids…… Congratulations.
Kcal is offline Find More Posts by Kcal
Old Oct 13, 2009, 02:07 PM
Surprise, AZ
Joined Jun 2009
121 Posts
Haha! Sounds good Kcal! Better make it a good one huh? lol. I plan on using that "for the kids" thing often. Little guy is getting his first RC car from Santa this year. He sure does love watching the Lama fly too.
Old Oct 13, 2009, 02:25 PM
inverted down is up, up is £££
UK
Joined Apr 2009
855 Posts
CONGRATS!!! the bug feels good dont it! i maidened my spitfire yesterday, got too cockey today, was flying through english goal posts, climbing vertically and spinning, but got it wrong trying to dive down into the goal posts, and broke the prop, snapped the fuse in two places, and dented the wing, a little bit of epoxy, and some super tape has it stringer than ever though!

if i can help you at all drop me a pm, flying friends firebird tommorow, its a bit broken though the servos twitch when you go to full extension or no extension :L

by the way, the firebird flies in any condition, i got my friend to maiden it in 22mph winds, gusts even higher, on full throttle it leiterally hovers, like a helicopter!, and only goes forwards if you are going down aswell! but oh boy, down wind it is almost as fast as my spitty!
kieran3008 is offline Find More Posts by kieran3008
Old Oct 13, 2009, 02:37 PM
Surprise, AZ
Joined Jun 2009
121 Posts
It sure does! I am already looking into a more advanced setup. HAHA! Definitely want to get a bunch more flights in on this guy first obviously, but I have been looking at that Exceed RC TX at hobbypartz. Sure seem like a good deal to me! Maybe I wil ask the wife to get it for me for Christmas and I will just hold onto it for my next plane. I know it is no DX6i, but I can't afford the DX6i and this sure seems like a good deal to me!

On another note, I was surprised at how little throttle it took to get that sucker climbing! And at full throttle, it really can get moving! At least more than I expected anyways.

EDIT:
This is the TX I was talking about.
Old Oct 13, 2009, 02:55 PM
UK
Joined Apr 2009
855 Posts
that controller is like the one i got with my rtf spit, i would say, if u want to fly complicated models on that, you have no computer functions and you need them for more complicated models, i.e tricicle gear non rtfs need the end point adjustment

i reccomend the rds8000 from hobby people, it will grow with u, i have it, it is really worth it if you ever plan to get something more than parkflyers, also with it being non computer, you will have to work out how to remember trims for several model aircraft, save up for the rds8000 much better than dx6i, u never know what santa might bring!
Old Oct 13, 2009, 03:21 PM
Surprise, AZ
Joined Jun 2009
121 Posts
Haha! Got ya. I might not know what Santa will bring, but I do know Santa's budget unfortunately! LOL!
Old Oct 13, 2009, 03:25 PM
UK
Joined Apr 2009
855 Posts
well it is better to save up and have 2 christmases all in one, trust me you will not be able to use that for many models, or complicated ones, or ones you want to make easier to fly
Old Oct 13, 2009, 03:45 PM
Surprise, AZ
Joined Jun 2009
121 Posts
Exactly. I think I will probably end up buying this one and using it for my next plane or two as they will be my first aileron planes and I won't need anything too fancy and that way, this TX will hold me over while I save up for the Spektrum or RDS.
Old Oct 13, 2009, 03:49 PM
UK
Joined Apr 2009
855 Posts
yer that sounds good, although if you get an rtf 2.4 ghz aileron plane those transmitters are very good!, for example, i say the perfect learner plane is the art tech wingdragon 2.4ghz, it is perfect, indestructible! within reason, i put it through trees, hell and worse! and it flew until i got all it could give out of it and moved on! very cheap aswell
Old Oct 13, 2009, 03:52 PM
Surprise, AZ
Joined Jun 2009
121 Posts
Thanks sir! I will definitely look into that. My plan as of now (with my limited experience and a lot of reading) is to do like I said and buy that TX to hold me over until I get a nice computer radio. In the meantime, I will probably end up building my first aileron plane out of foam from plans. Should be cheap and easy and it won't matter too much if I crash it. In all reality though, who knows what will end up happening. HAHA!
Old Oct 13, 2009, 04:04 PM
UK
Joined Apr 2009
855 Posts
well rtf the wingdragon is £70 so for the price of the transmitter, foam, electronics etc, it probs works out cheaper! and it requiers very little trimming etc just some tape that comes in the box, two screws, charge the battery and ur flying!
Old Oct 13, 2009, 04:23 PM
Surprise, AZ
Joined Jun 2009
121 Posts
Yeah, I checked it out after your post. Looks like it is 120 USD and also is a R/E only and has no ailerons. My next plane after this Firebird Phantom will definitely have ailerons. But, it does look like a nice plane. It may have been a better option as a first plane, but I think I want to bump it up to ailerons for my next one. Thanks!