HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 17, 2001, 06:39 AM
Ancaster, Ontario, Canada
Joined Nov 2000
2,525 Posts
Great Planes Escapade, a sweet little ARF!

I have just build and flown an Escapade, manufactured by great planes, and it was AWSOME! Being my first arf it didnt dissapoint me. ROGs off short grass, 6 minute flight on a speed 280 with 150s. I got a 26 minute flight from 600 NIMS. Really relaxing, fun to build adn stable in the air.

Paul Penney is offline Find More Posts by Paul Penney
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 17, 2001, 04:39 PM
Rochester, NY
Joined Mar 2001
226 Posts
I'm building one now.
How many cells did you use and what size prop?
thanks
Fly_joy is offline Find More Posts by Fly_joy
Old Sep 17, 2001, 07:44 PM
Joined Nov 2000
2,525 Posts
Just got back from flying it. I use a 9-7 prop, which you wont find in stores cause it is a cut down 10-7. The recomended prop is the 9-6.

also, for short flights of 4 min I use an eight cell 150 pack. for lOOOOOOOOOng flights I use an 8 cell 600 NIM pack.

ENJOY!

(p.s I didnt like the servo pushrod setup, needs z-bends)
Old Sep 18, 2001, 12:36 PM
Terre Haute, IN
Joined Sep 2001
11 Posts
I'm thinking of getting this for my first plane. I'm a real pilot and have raced rc cars before so i'm familiar with flight and electronics. I was curious if this was a good plane to start on. How hard were landings and teh such. Also, how hard do you think it would be to add ailerons later? does it fly well enough to do some mild aerobatics?

thanks,
Jeff
rainman is offline Find More Posts by rainman
Old Sep 18, 2001, 03:12 PM
Joined Nov 2000
2,525 Posts
rainman,

I think it would be one of the most sucessful beginners planes out there. there is an addon feature of two more struts to increase diehedral and washout for beginners. very LITTLE building skills are required to build it. just keep the epoxy light and the surfaces strait. items required for completion-

sanding block
exacto knife
epoxy
thin C/A
builders square
ruler
felt tip marker

e-mail me with some questions if you need them....

Buddly6@hotmail.com
Old Sep 18, 2001, 04:01 PM
Rochester, NY
Joined Mar 2001
226 Posts
It does build easily.
---
It also breaks and fixes easily. I crashed my on it's first flight. Nose hit the ground hard. Anyways the front of the fuse broke right off the plane. I glued it back on with Polyurethane glue and it looks good as new. Total repair time of 5 minutes.

btw, I'd say the crash was pilot error. I'll try again in a few days.

PS I'm using 8x 480 nimh batteries.

hey Buddly6, did you try flying in any wind yet?
Fly_joy is offline Find More Posts by Fly_joy
Old Sep 18, 2001, 04:57 PM
Terre Haute, IN
Joined Sep 2001
11 Posts
ok, about the extra diehedral. if i put it on there, can i remove it later? if not, then how hard is it to fly without adding the extra diehedral? and also, how much difference in aerobatics does adding the diehedral add?

thanks
Old Sep 18, 2001, 09:33 PM
Joined Nov 2000
2,525 Posts
I an not to sure about aerobatics, except if you waant to do the odd loop. anything high G will require an on board parachute andf an extra set of wings

I think In your position, you should be able to remove the trainee struts once you need ot. it is pretty easy to fly right now, just not for the beginner in windy weather
Old Sep 18, 2001, 10:03 PM
ODB VI September 2014
United States, OK, Weleetka
Joined Dec 2000
8,522 Posts
good to see a flyer nearby!

Quote:
Originally posted by rainman
I'm thinking of getting this for my first plane. I'm a real pilot and have raced rc cars before so i'm familiar with flight and electronics. I was curious if this was a good plane to start on. How hard were landings and teh such. Also, how hard do you think it would be to add ailerons later? does it fly well enough to do some mild aerobatics?

thanks,
Jeff
I would recomend that you get someone to help you learning to fly. Being a full size pilot realy doesn't help that much. There is a club there in Terre Haute. Just ask at Joes Hobby Barn. I live in Linton Indiana and fly with a club down here.

A lot of people will try and talk you out of learning with electric but it is realy not a bad way to earn. Clean and quite.
An instructer will help you through the early stages of learning to fly. Running rc cars will help you somewhat. Of course you can just stop a car if you want to. Doesn't work to well with a plane.
Wes
1987tc is offline Find More Posts by 1987tc
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 18, 2001, 10:13 PM
Terre Haute, IN
Joined Sep 2001
11 Posts
i know joe's and i know the terre haute R/c club..i go out to the field and watch them fly but i'm just waiting to get my plane. making sure i pick the right one and take the right path. anyways, i was just curious