SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 12, 2009, 10:05 PM
Joined Sep 2009
5 Posts
Discussion
Li-po battery explosion

I am new to flying. I have a super cub LP which I love. I took it up for a short flight tonight since the wind had laid down, it was flying beautifully. Brought it down, changed batteries and the battery exploded once I plugged the new one in. I got my video camera to film it. My poor cub lay upside down with a plume of smoke billowing out of it and the foam melting away.

Question is: is this a common thing?

I am using the Hobbyzone charger that came with the plane and a parkzone lipo battery that was the same as the one that came with it.

I may add the video to youtube and post the link here for kicks.
IN-Freeflyer is offline Find More Posts by IN-Freeflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 12, 2009, 10:09 PM
Retardedly intelligent
beavercreek,ohio
Joined Jan 2007
3,857 Posts
NO not at all lipo fires and especially explosions are'nt very common today (with the new technology lipos are getting safer) they usually explode while charging?

contact horizon and see whats up with that?
foam and tape is offline Find More Posts by foam and tape
Old Oct 12, 2009, 10:09 PM
Check my blog-updated
Columbus,Ohio
Joined Nov 2005
2,133 Posts
Sounds like you shorted it.-- Assuming the fresh lipo being plugged in.
Mayday!Mayday! is offline Find More Posts by Mayday!Mayday!
Old Oct 12, 2009, 11:28 PM
WARNING: May contain spam
United States, CA, Alpine
Joined Oct 2007
20,964 Posts
An explosion would be where it sends fragments out.

What you had happen was a battery flame up in a very rapid succession, likely from either shorting it upon plugging in, or something being up with your electronics. NO, it's very rare for that to happen, so think on the bright side: it probably won't happen again
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Oct 13, 2009, 01:02 PM
Joined Sep 2009
5 Posts
Thanks for the info. I will contact Hobbyzone and see what's up!
IN-Freeflyer is offline Find More Posts by IN-Freeflyer
Old Oct 13, 2009, 03:31 PM
Wanaka, NZ
Joined Mar 2009
601 Posts
I will add that in my experience hz and pz chargers are rubbish and I have had 2 leave batteries dangerously unbalanced. The batteries are rubbish also. Invest in a good charger. Even an accucel 6 are good and cheap. But it does sound like a proper short.
qman is offline Find More Posts by qman
Old Oct 14, 2009, 12:27 PM
Joined Oct 2008
6 Posts
The lipo battery on the Super Cub LP can be plugged into the socket for the bomb drop, combat module, the socket is right next to the battery box. If you accidently plug the battery into the socket it will short out and take out the reciever and possibly the battery. Someone at Horizone had their head up their -ss on that one.
snopack is offline Find More Posts by snopack
Old Oct 14, 2009, 12:31 PM
United States, CA, Redondo Beach
Joined Mar 2005
654 Posts
also never charge a battery in your plane or heli, why risk it?
P.I.Engineer is offline Find More Posts by P.I.Engineer
Old Oct 14, 2009, 07:27 PM
Check my blog-updated
Columbus,Ohio
Joined Nov 2005
2,133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrod155
also never charge a battery in your plane or heli, why risk it?

I don't believe the OP was charging with the lipo in the plane. He flew and then landed to change batteries. When he plugged in the fresh lipo, it shorted, and well here we are.
Mayday!Mayday! is offline Find More Posts by Mayday!Mayday!
Old Oct 14, 2009, 11:13 PM
United States, CA, Redondo Beach
Joined Mar 2005
654 Posts
can't read, gotcha
P.I.Engineer is offline Find More Posts by P.I.Engineer
Old Oct 15, 2009, 12:45 AM
Luzern/Switzerland
Joined Aug 2008
2,894 Posts
Ouch!
I am certain you had these blue 3.5mm ec 3 connectors right?? on both sides from the battery and the connector from the plane?
It can be possible to plug them in the wrong place with force and then cause a short of the battery and possible also your electronics.
I hope this is not the case...but I lost a lipo battery on the weekend as well, then on the field we pulled out the case...and put both black and red wire togheter and distanced ourselfs from the lipo...
First it puffed up quite big...then smoked then a little "bum" and it not like exploded but popped out, like popcorn in the microwave which has been in there for too long.

It was funny to watch seeing it go up...and the smell of it...jeezzzzzzz that was baaad.

But no flames..no fire..nothing..just a little bam and smoke..thats it..and that was a damaged 2150mah 3 cell 11.1v Rhino Battery from a crash I had about 1 month ago with my AXN Floater jet when the ESC blew and the plane came down in one hell of a speed.

Hope you can get it sorted.

Neversommer.
neversommer is offline Find More Posts by neversommer