Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 12, 2009, 02:59 PM
Hitec/Multiplex USA
Poway, California, United States
Joined Sep 2000
4,190 Posts
Alert
Multiplex Evo 2.4 conversion w/Hitec AFHSS (Digital interface update)

Okay guys,

This is the official "unofficial" conversion to allow the use of the new Hitec Spectra 2.4 module and Optima series receivers. Note that the system will not be sold this way and it is up to you to make this mod work. Hitec/Multiplex USA will not void your warranty with this mod unless it was not properly done which results in any issues. We have tested this and it will work with the Optima 6,7, & 9Ch receivers.

You will have to build the connector with parts readily available from an electronics store.

You will need:
1. Molex connector
2. 4 pin connector
3. servo wire
4. Velcro
5. 9/64 drill bit

Mike.
MikeMayberry is offline Find More Posts by MikeMayberry
Last edited by MikeMayberry; Oct 20, 2009 at 12:16 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 12, 2009, 03:50 PM
Ipoh, Perak Malaysia
Joined Jul 2006
3,973 Posts
Mike,

I have a few questions:

1. Which version (JR/Futaba) module did you use?
2. Is the telemetry data from the Hitec module compatible with the Evo 2.62 firmware. Is the data displayable on the Evo screen, and the alarms etc useable?
3. Can we substitute another antenna such as the one from XPS? What gain value is your antenna?

Thanks for the info.

chewy
chewytm is online now Find More Posts by chewytm
Old Oct 12, 2009, 04:16 PM
mostly gliders
Skellefteċ, Sweden
Joined Sep 2003
955 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMayberry
Okay guys,

This is the official "unofficial" conversion to allow the use of the new Hitec Spectra 2.4 module and Optima series receivers. Note that the system will not be sold this way and it is up to you to make this mod work. Hitec/Multiplex USA will not void your warranty with this mod unless it was not properly done which results in any issues. We have tested this and it will work with the Optima 6,7, & 9Ch receivers.

You will have to build the connector with parts readily available from an electronics store.

You will need:
1. Molex connector
2. 4 pin connector
3. servo wire
4. Velcro
5. 9/64 drill bit

Mike.
Hello Mike
...I am confused , very much so. How come that you provide this service, ar you not a representative for Hitec/Multiplex? I don´t understand anything of this???

/Ville
liukku is online now Find More Posts by liukku
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 12, 2009, 04:17 PM
Hitec/Multiplex USA
Joined Sep 2000
4,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewytm
Mike,

I have a few questions:

1. Which version (JR/Futaba) module did you use?
2. Is the telemetry data from the Hitec module compatible with the Evo 2.62 firmware. Is the data displayable on the Evo screen, and the alarms etc useable?
3. Can we substitute another antenna such as the one from XPS? What gain value is your antenna?

Thanks for the info.

chewy

1. There is only one version. (Hitec/Futaba) We don't make one compatible with JR.

2. The low battery warning is built in and will sound an audible warning from the module if below the threshold. The data can be captured the same was as if it were used in an Optic, Eclipse, etc.. it would need to be connected to the (future) HPP-22 and then connected to a PC... with use of the (future) sensor station and sensors. It will not be able to be viewed from the Evo screen; you'll need an Aurora for that.

3. Antenna is .91dBi

Mike.
Old Oct 12, 2009, 04:20 PM
Hitec/Multiplex USA
Joined Sep 2000
4,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by liukku
Hello Mike
...I am confused , very much so. How come that you provide this service, ar you not a representative for Hitec/Multiplex? I don´t understand anything of this???

/Ville
Because the Multiplex 2.4 systems will not be imported into the USA. This gives people in the USA a valid option to convert their EVO's to 2.4Ghz.

Mike.
Old Oct 12, 2009, 04:26 PM
mostly gliders
Skellefteċ, Sweden
Joined Sep 2003
955 Posts
...strange

...this feels strange to me, but what do I know...hmmm???
But if it is ok with everyone, I don´t mind.

/Ville
liukku is online now Find More Posts by liukku
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 12, 2009, 04:34 PM
USA, CA, Merced
Joined Dec 2007
504 Posts
liukku, in a nutshell :

for US users, who have no M-link option from MPX-USA, they are showing you a way to implement the hitec AFHSS module into your royal evo, and they are saying that, as long as the modification has been competently performed, they will honor warranty on the radio and module with these changes.

so, they are showing you how to convert your royal evo to 2.4, and they are offering some degree of warranty protection for people converting their systems.

so, 1 more option for multiplex users in the USA to convert to 2.4, and this option is the only one that's warranted.

neato
DannyZRC is offline Find More Posts by DannyZRC
Old Oct 12, 2009, 04:45 PM
Kou
Andover,MA.,USA
Joined Aug 2001
735 Posts
Mike:

Thanks for the write up. I have the Airtronics SD10G and liking it. However, I do like the Multiplex EVO9 that I also have (I think it is because of the 'geek' factor of the radio programming). I was going to retire the EVO9 and use the SD10G exclusively. Your post just changed my mind because I am going to upgrade the EVO9 with your module and use it to fly my 2 gliders and probably my foamy.... Wish you have a write up on how to put your module into my JR 8103.

MK
Kou is offline Find More Posts by Kou
Old Oct 12, 2009, 05:14 PM
USA, NY, Jamestown
Joined Jun 2000
2,908 Posts
Mike, you guys are great. And so simple. But...what about the Evo 7? No ninth channel. Hopefully that's only necessary to get 9 and less will work also- so just assign something to channel 7? Thanks!
JoeR is offline Find More Posts by JoeR
Old Oct 12, 2009, 05:45 PM
THAT'S WHY
Eastern Ohio
Joined Aug 2004
762 Posts
That's a great solution Mike. But if we need 12 channels we are still out of luck.
Will version 2.62 work with MPX M-Link?
causeitflys is offline Find More Posts by causeitflys
Old Oct 12, 2009, 05:55 PM
Joined Dec 2005
5,408 Posts
Mike,

Many thanks to you and the Hitec staff for taking the time to post this. I will be ordering the module and at least 6 receivers.

I really appreciate Hitec providing me the ability to keep my EVO as my primary transmitter.
Obake is offline Find More Posts by Obake
Old Oct 12, 2009, 06:23 PM
Hitec/Multiplex USA
Joined Sep 2000
4,190 Posts
Kou- You're on your own with a JR system.

JoeR- Unfortunately for whatever reason it will not work is set to FM/PPM 7. It must be set to at least 8 to work so the EVO 7's are not upgradable unless a solution is found.

causeitflys- 9 channels is max with our system due to RX selection. I beleive you need v3.3 for the M-link. I would suggest you research this in the EVO forum as we can't test it.

Comm69- Be aware that only the 7Ch RX's are currently available, the 9Ch's are not due until November. You will still need to set the radio to FM/PPM 8 or 9 to make it work... it will not work if set to 7 as mentioned earlier in this post.

Mike.
Old Oct 12, 2009, 06:59 PM
Joined Dec 2005
5,408 Posts
Thanks Mike, no problem. I understand then that 6,7 and 9 channels receivers will all work with the TX set to FM/PPM 9.

When it is said and done with, I will need four 6 channel, four 7 channel and two 9 channel receivers.
Obake is offline Find More Posts by Obake
Old Oct 12, 2009, 07:10 PM
USA, NY, Jamestown
Joined Jun 2000
2,908 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMayberry
JoeR- Unfortunately for whatever reason it will not work is set to FM/PPM 7. It must be set to at least 8 to work so the EVO 7's are not upgradable unless a solution is found.
Could you please look into it? Thanks!
JoeR is offline Find More Posts by JoeR
Old Oct 12, 2009, 10:18 PM
Albuquerque, NM
Joined Nov 2003
151 Posts
Two questions about the Hitec Spectra 2.4 Evo conversion (apologies if they've been answered already)
1 Is this mod easily reversible back to 72 MHz? (Wasn't totally clear from the pics)
2 Does it require the service upgrade of the Evo 9 to the Royal Pro?

Thanks
rnshagam is offline Find More Posts by rnshagam