SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 12, 2009, 02:30 PM
Love & a Molotov cocktail
on a boat on the river cam
Joined Jan 2005
618 Posts
Discussion
Flying in a proper plane. another boring photo thread from Punkie.

Until Sunday I had only flown 4 times in my life, first two flights were when I went to Tunisia when I was about 19 and the other two flights were when I took my children on a day trip to Finland to see Father Christmas about 10 years ago.
Now I have flown 5 times. This last flight on Sunday although the shortest will be the most memorable.
Air Atlantique have a fleet of classic British aircraft, including a Meteor, a Venom an Anson and a couple of DH89s.
http://www.classicflight.com/
I had bought two tickets as Elisa was coming with me, but unfortunately due to a family crisis she could not come, so I spent half an hour chasing around the marina trying to find someone to take the spare seat. “Sorry I don’t like flying” “Sorry but my partner is not well” Not in, eventually a friend who runs a wedding video business from his boat was suggested. He nearly had my hand off.
“It will give me a chance to try my new toy”. A 3D Fuji camera http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolog...September.html
The Plane a 1944 DH89A De Havilland Dragon Rapide looked stunning all blue with silver wings. Being a lardy the seat was a bit snug, but once settled in it was great. I took about 200 plus pics, 20 minutes was over so quickly.
We took off from Marshall’s airport at Cambridge; it was quite strange to see the company where I have worked for the last 34 years from the airside. We did a circuit of the city, then went across the fens to Upware, there we circled the village and then headed back to Cambridge.
Bloody brilliant!
Really!
Punkie is offline Find More Posts by Punkie
Old Oct 12, 2009, 02:31 PM
Figure Nine Champ
North Texas
Joined Nov 2002
1,287 Posts
I'm jealous. Great pictures, BTW.
madsci_guy is online now Find More Posts by madsci_guy
Old Oct 12, 2009, 02:33 PM
All under control, Grommit!
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,646 Posts
Excellent photo-essay matey - you really captured the essence of the trip

Did you get any pictures of the emergency exits in the roof?
leccyflyer is offline Find More Posts by leccyflyer
Old Oct 12, 2009, 02:37 PM
St. Boondock
Joined Aug 2008
731 Posts
I love that plane!! Great pics man!!!
FL Knifemaker is offline Find More Posts by FL Knifemaker
Old Oct 12, 2009, 02:39 PM
Joined Jan 2005
618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leccyflyer
Excellent photo-essay matey - you really captured the essence of the trip
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by leccyflyer
Did you get any pictures of the emergency exits in the roof?
No I didn't , they are a bit small
Old Oct 12, 2009, 02:42 PM
Useful Idiot
Asturias, Spain
Joined Mar 2001
3,546 Posts
My first flight was also a 20-minute joy ride in a Rapide from somewhere near Selsea around the end of the 50's. It didn't seem so vintage then.
martin richards is offline Find More Posts by martin richards
Old Oct 12, 2009, 02:46 PM
St. Boondock
Joined Aug 2008
731 Posts
There's a yellow one that often lands at Fantasy of Flight. My kids always thought it was a flying school bus
Old Oct 12, 2009, 02:47 PM
I'm kind of a big deal
Tarpon Springs, FL USA
Joined Feb 2002
852 Posts
Like I said before. I love that plane. One of my top 10.

Interesting marina. It looks like a rather small cut to get into. Are those long narrow river boats a pain to handle? How are the engine/engines positioned?
Sorry If I've ask you this before.

Thanks.
Tarpon Shawn is offline Find More Posts by Tarpon Shawn
Old Oct 12, 2009, 02:48 PM
Time for me to Fly...
United States, MI, Fenton
Joined Jan 2000
8,639 Posts
Cool plane.... Cool ride and Cool pics. Need I say more?
Mr. Wiz is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Wiz
Old Oct 12, 2009, 02:52 PM
Joined Dec 2002
1,952 Posts
AWESOME, Punkster. Reminds of a ride in a Ford Trimotor in '76. Had the left passenger seat directly behind the pilot, too.
oldcoot88 is offline Find More Posts by oldcoot88
Old Oct 12, 2009, 02:55 PM
St. Boondock
Joined Aug 2008
731 Posts
Did they make these on floats?? My buddy just said the one at Fantasy of Flight is a float plane?? They do have the lake there where lots of float planes land. My memory is fried
Old Oct 12, 2009, 03:02 PM
Joined Jan 2005
618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarpon Shawn
Like I said before. I love that plane. One of my top 10.

Interesting marina. It looks like a rather small cut to get into. Are those long narrow river boats a pain to handle? How are the engine/engines positioned?
Sorry If I've ask you this before.

Thanks.
Narrow boats are easy to handle with practice.
You have a small desiel engine in the back, my 40 footer has a little 22 horse 3 cylinder Isuzu. the only steering is with a tiller. In their natural habitat a canal and slow river they are great.
The exact positioning of the engine depends on the style of narrow boat, a trad style will have an engine room at the back. A cruiser style like mine has the engine in a seperate compartment under the open rear deck.
The cut into the marina is easy, i've done that at 3 in the morning with no lights on after a late night cruise back from a wedding in Ely, funnily enough it was Rogers wedding, the guy who came with me on the flight. Gosh I was well drunk that night.
Narrow boats will turn in their own length, one of my mates John got banned from one pub for doing donuts in his 60ft narrow boat outside a pub in Ely at midnight.
I hope that tells you enough. please ask if you want more info.
Old Oct 12, 2009, 03:13 PM
Joined Jan 2005
618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL Knifemaker
Did they make these on floats?? My buddy just said the one at Fantasy of Flight is a float plane?? They do have the lake there where lots of float planes land. My memory is fried
The Canadians made some with floats I believe, but as for Fantasy of flight having one? No idea, I just had a quick look at their web site and could not see anything about it. Sure your mate has not mixed it up with some other plane there?
Old Oct 12, 2009, 03:16 PM
Colorado Front Range, USA, EARTH, Sol system, Milkyway Galaxy
Joined Nov 2001
2,356 Posts
I know how you feel.

I took a ride in a DC-3 over the Grand Canyon (big hole in the middle of the US)
one time.....what a great ride that was.

It was even better than the AT-6 ride I took 5 or 6 years ago.
The Other Dave is offline Find More Posts by The Other Dave
Old Oct 12, 2009, 03:20 PM
St. Boondock
Joined Aug 2008
731 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkie
The Canadians made some with floats I believe, but as for Fantasy of flight having one? No idea, I just had a quick look at their web site and could not see anything about it. Sure your mate has not mixed it up with some other plane there?
I don't think it's owned by FOF, it probably comes in for various shows during the year. I believe there's several seaplane service centers right next to FOF as well. The land some BIG ones on that lake!!!