HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 12, 2009, 11:46 AM
Mcminnville, Or USA
Joined Jul 2009
597 Posts
Idea
Hitec Aurora 9 Consideration!

Hey guys I was all set to buy either the Futaba 8fga or the Airtronics 10G.
Then I started looking at the videos on the Hitec Aurora 9 while reading the manual for the Futaba 8fg.
I would recommend you take a close look at the Aurora 9.
The features on this radio, such as ball bearing gimbals. Very intuitive programming. Lesser expensive RX's. And a module for running your 72 mhz stuff.
I will continue to compare the three systems.
Ive never owned a Hitec Radio.
At the moment the Hitec Aurora 9 is in the lead.
If you look at the features this radio compares more to the Futaba 12fg at a very good price.
zero2444 is offline Find More Posts by zero2444
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 12, 2009, 03:51 PM
United States, TX, Kerrville
Joined Oct 2003
2,090 Posts
I've always felt that Futaba's computer radios were a PITA to program. The last one I worked with was the 7C that belonged to a friend who was lost in the programming maze. We got it figured out, including that you hade to wade through TWO menus to get simple things done. I hope they've improved their programming in the newer models.

My Eclipse 7 with the 2.4 module and 7 channel receiver work just fine but that bulky receiver antenna is a bummer in smaller models. Maybe later down the line........

CR
Charley38 is offline Find More Posts by Charley38
Old Oct 12, 2009, 04:10 PM
USA, CA, Merced
Joined Dec 2007
504 Posts
the A9 is an excellent radio, as is the SD-10G. the 8FG is a bit outclassed in the comparison.

exactly which is the appropriate choice will depend on you and what you're up to.

kudos to airtronics and hitec for so completely shaking up the sport radio market !
DannyZRC is offline Find More Posts by DannyZRC
Old Oct 12, 2009, 04:11 PM
I want to bark at the moon
2 weeks in SoCal 2 weeks in WA
Joined Mar 2009
576 Posts
yep
guantamanera is offline Find More Posts by guantamanera
Last edited by guantamanera; Oct 12, 2009 at 04:17 PM.
Old Oct 13, 2009, 09:53 AM
You are a "go" for reentry
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
5,977 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyZRC
the A9 is an excellent radio, as is the SD-10G. the 8FG is a bit outclassed in the comparison.

exactly which is the appropriate choice will depend on you and what you're up to.

kudos to airtronics and hitec for so completely shaking up the sport radio market !
Here here!!! I was hoping JR would have done better with the announcement of their 11X zero but so far it looks like the radio makers who have market share at this time are just handing out more of the same old things. Very high pricing for one or two additional features and a willingness to put up with the complaints about their programming. Where's the Smily symbol for they should give their heads a shake
Maxthrottle is online now Find More Posts by Maxthrottle
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Maxthrottle; Oct 13, 2009 at 10:09 AM.
Old Oct 13, 2009, 02:08 PM
fort lauderdale FL
Joined Jul 2009
144 Posts
i also am a big fan of JR radios that's all i own but that aurora 9 is definitely on my list to buy next.its to bad that JR did not follow the touch screen style like the aurora 9 or futaba 14mz.it looks like the aurora 9 will put hitec on the map when it come to (got to have that) in radios,just wish they made there tx box with a little more sex appeal.but still my next buy for sure.
andrewfl is offline Find More Posts by andrewfl
Old Oct 13, 2009, 02:56 PM
USA, CA, Merced
Joined Dec 2007
504 Posts
JR had a touch screen, the 10 series.

I just want a good interface, however they accomplish it.

Aurora seems nice on video, little touches like enabling both sides of an adjustment at once, largish icons for finger friendliness.

I think it's quite possible that the aurora will encourage it's owners to utilize more of the programming; as opposed to the classic case, where many people tended not to want to mess with the radio and did the minimum setup to get them going.

Observing Aurora owners might even encourage other people, owners of less friendly radios, to expand their setups. =)
DannyZRC is offline Find More Posts by DannyZRC
Old Oct 13, 2009, 03:28 PM
fort lauderdale FL
Joined Jul 2009
144 Posts
just what i meant to say,better use and ease of functions,almost walks you through it.
Old Oct 13, 2009, 06:13 PM
Suspended Account
Russian Federation, Sakha, Yakutsk
Joined May 2006
2,978 Posts
The Aurora is a game-changer. Period.

WAY more for far less than J-Taba has ever offered.
FrogChief is offline Find More Posts by FrogChief
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 13, 2009, 10:41 PM
fort lauderdale FL
Joined Jul 2009
144 Posts
amen,my man..
Old Oct 13, 2009, 11:00 PM
Joined Dec 2005
5,408 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyZRC
J

I think it's quite possible that the aurora will encourage it's owners to utilize more of the programming; as opposed to the classic case, where many people tended not to want to mess with the radio and did the minimum setup to get them going.
From reading the Aurora manual, I tend to think that the Aurora is a sane implementation of the EVO software. The EVO, as many of us know, has great programming flexability. However, it sucks to have to learn how to use. I know, I have an EVO 12.

I will hack the Aurora module into my EVO and do so with great relish. Had Hitec come up with a more hand friendly case design and a tray, I would have dumped my EVO and bought the Aurora.

Regardless, I am sold on the Hitec 2.4 system and will start using it.
Obake is offline Find More Posts by Obake
Old Oct 14, 2009, 12:25 AM
fort lauderdale FL
Joined Jul 2009
144 Posts
not familiar with the evo,looks different from most transmitters,small screen up top but once again never seen or played with one.
Old Oct 14, 2009, 12:50 AM
Porto, Portugal
Joined Jan 2007
192 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewfl
not familiar with the evo,looks different from most transmitters,small screen up top but once again never seen or played with one.
The Evo screen could be larger but I don't really get why people would want the screen to be in the bottom. That's where you want to have your hands.

As for the point of the Evo, it's that the mixers are all free and very programmable. Each mixer is a sum of up to five inputs, each with a curve applied to them. Some people (like me) find this extremely simple to reason with. I never really have a problem understanding how to implement any given mix, but you do have to create them from scratch (or try to use the pre-formated ones), which is probably what some people have trouble with.

Pedro
PedroCR is offline Find More Posts by PedroCR
Old Oct 14, 2009, 12:55 AM
USA, WA, Seattle
Joined Oct 2005
730 Posts
I guess this is probably true of the other brands as well, but it seems like everyone I've heard of that has had a Hitec Optic6 or Eclipse have been really happy with them. The only complaint is not having the option (until now!) to stay with Hitec when they move to a higher end radio. I've got multiple Optic6s and would definitely be getting an Aurora if I had not already headed down a different path (MicroStar2000).
balesse is offline Find More Posts by balesse
Old Oct 14, 2009, 01:01 AM
You are a "go" for reentry
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
5,977 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroCR
The Evo screen could be larger but I don't really get why people would want the screen to be in the bottom. That's where you want to have your hands.

Pedro
I say go for the middle that span from the top to the bottom . Really! Since its touch screen you could start adding button functionality. The buttons could change as you select flight modes. This screen position is also better for telemetry. Top or bottom its farther out of reach.....

This is talk future radio stuff. It certainly doesn't need to look like a cromedome cylon but alloy front in battle black would suite me fine.

Oh if only I was on someone Radio design team
Maxthrottle is online now Find More Posts by Maxthrottle
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: EDF Design