SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 12, 2009, 10:45 AM
Speed King
London Heathrow, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Feb 2003
959 Posts
Discussion
Easy Star or Easy Cub?

was looking at getting a model for my son next year & have mainly been looking at the easy star to learn on but yesturday I saw the easy cub.

what would you guys recomend to learn on?
MarkChinery is offline Find More Posts by MarkChinery
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 12, 2009, 01:55 PM
WARNING: May contain spam
United States, CA, Alpine
Joined Oct 2007
20,936 Posts
Both make good trainers, although the Easy Cubs power system would be much more powerful than the stock Easy Stars power system
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Oct 12, 2009, 02:28 PM
E-Gliders
South Carolina
Joined May 2009
1,305 Posts
I have a brushless easystar, but I still fly a stock easy, it is slow and perfect for a high grass training field area. Turns are slow and predictable. Power is good. Before you fly make sure cg is correct and that nothing is sliding around in cockpit. I would rec this for him.

I almost fogot to tell you, do a test glide with this to check that elevator isn't reversed, and that it does actually glide good with power off.
outngo is offline Find More Posts by outngo
Last edited by outngo; Oct 12, 2009 at 02:34 PM.
Old Oct 12, 2009, 03:02 PM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Jan 2007
5,235 Posts
2 models that are endlessly suggested for training are the Easy Star and the Super Cub.
Lots of folks like the SC because it looks more like a real plane. It's tough, it flies pretty well, parts are available.

It's BIG downsides are the limited and proprietary electrics and ultimately everyone abandons and it's a tractor (motor in front). For newbies tractors mean lots of motor damage. Learning has an uncanny tendency to bring planes in on their nose.

The Easy Cub could be built with MUCH better electrics but would suffer from the tractor problem. In this case the motor damage might be even more expensive depending on what you put in there.

IF (big if), you can get an instructor and a buddy box system it would be excellent. If not, I'd go with the Easy Star just to minimize damage while learning. You could also BB the Easy Star if you get the right equipment.

With proprietary electrics there is no way to BB the Super Cub unless you build from scratch (big hurdle for a newbie).
flydiver is offline Find More Posts by flydiver
Old Oct 12, 2009, 04:42 PM
WARNING: May contain spam
United States, CA, Alpine
Joined Oct 2007
20,936 Posts
^From the sound of his posts, and where he posts them (high performance forums, slope forums, ect.) he's a fairly experienced modeler.

His original post states:

"was looking at getting a model for my son next year"

Indicating he's looking for a plane to train his son on. In this case, the Multiplex Easy Cub will work perfectly with the recommended gear
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Oct 13, 2009, 03:31 PM
SB-28 UK Display Pilot
ENGLAND
Joined Jul 2001
2,463 Posts
I have been teaching my father to fly this last year and he has both.
The Cub IMHO is the better teaching device as control response is more accurate. The stock power system is wonderfull and will be usefull long after the Cubs demise.
The Easy Star, once you've modded the rudder and improved the power system is much better to fly on windier days than the Cub can stand.

Overall, my choice would be the Cub.
Next weekend I'm scheduled to cut dads Cub wings to take ailerons to help him on the next learning step.
Gordon
GeeW is online now Find More Posts by GeeW
Old Oct 14, 2009, 11:30 AM
Sussex, UK
Crawley, West Sussex, UK
Joined Jun 2004
7,372 Posts
How old is your son? If he's young, or just tends to do things his own way rather than carefully following instructions, the easystar will shrug off bad landings better than a model with the prop in the nose.
RobinBennett is offline Find More Posts by RobinBennett
Old Oct 16, 2009, 03:43 PM
Speed King
London Heathrow, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Feb 2003
959 Posts
Hi guys,
Sorry for not replying I forgot to check back on this post. As someone spotted Iím normally in the high-performance area of this forum. I havenít flown it for a couple of years but Iíve flown F5D pylon for over 15 years.

My son is 7, I learnt to fly when I was 7 & im 30 now.

Just wanted to get your views on what you thought would be the better model to learn on. I take the points of the cub potentially getting prop frontal damage on heavy landings & also its small wheels wonít work on the grass field I fly. Iím tending to edge more towards the easy star, Iíve had 2-3 pico jets over the years & having a prop not at the front certainly as its advantages.

Thanks for all you comments.
MarkChinery is offline Find More Posts by MarkChinery
Old Oct 16, 2009, 10:45 PM
Wind World
Joined Dec 2007
674 Posts
EasyStar
foamflier84 is offline Find More Posts by foamflier84