HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 10, 2012, 03:25 PM
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Nov 2005
5,721 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRCJA View Post
OK, so I hardly ever have time to finish my own planes, but an F-100 pilot asked if I would finish his F-100 for him. He served in the 20th Fighter Wing, 79th Fighter Squadron from 64-67. I could not find many pictures, I went to
http://www.f-100.org/hun.shtml
and got all they had there, but checking to see if anyone else might have any other documentation that might be helpful. I am going to check airliners.net too I guess I will also revive my original build thread for those repairs.

Thanks

Thanks
Ralph
IIRC there's a pic of that very plane in this thread someone did...very similar color scheme
erh7771 is offline Find More Posts by erh7771
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 10, 2012, 06:21 PM
Joined Jan 2010
2,876 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dionysus View Post
Dave, not sure what you are tying to achieve here, is it strictly a cost issue? Your not going to "pay" with anything to run the CS 12 blade fan, it is just a type of fan that needs a certain set up, and yes it has different demands. Right now I'm flying slightly over 3 min and having to replace about 2700 mAh back in the batteries, I've still not reached it's potential.

It is a lot of work and frustration to take shortcuts, trust me I've tried my share. If you want to potentially destroy your fuselage then use the stock Fly Fly rotor, I would discourage you from doing so if I could.

Efficiency, well there is a few ways to look at that isn't there? Below are 2 pictures, one is very efficient on gasoline and the other not.
Does that "Tatra 706" left pic. got working steering??? I love it!!! Joe.
jofro is online now Find More Posts by jofro
Old Apr 10, 2012, 07:13 PM
How close are those trees?
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Apr 2008
1,911 Posts
EDF advice

Thanks to all for their comments re the EDF setups for the Hun.

The FF fan comments certainly seem 'mixed'.

I've been scared enough re the FF fan that I'll probably get the CS fan (plus they look and sound so cool) but give some more thought and research to the motor choice.

Cheers

Dave
Goody63 is offline Find More Posts by Goody63
Old Apr 10, 2012, 11:57 PM
Southwestern VA
Joined Nov 2009
476 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erh7771 View Post
Check out EMS wheels, they are VERY VERY scale and have a decent price.

They're a tad heavier but I think they can literally stop bullets, I have the 3.5 for a bigger project and was thinking of buying some of the smaller ones for scaling out other planes

http://www.arfpromodelplanes.com/ind...chk=1&Itemid=1
Thanks for the tip on the wheels. They look real nice but I noticed they don't recommend using them with their electric retracts. I'm guessing that's due to the weight? I wonder if the eflite 15-25 size electrics I'm using would struggle.

I got tired of trying to keep the play out of the stock suspension struts too. They want to tow in and out unless you tighten the set screws so tight that they no longer compress. I went ahead and swapped them out with some 3.5mm coiled struts. They don't look the part but at least they're more functional until I come up with a better setup.
jpbrimmer is offline Find More Posts by jpbrimmer
Old Apr 11, 2012, 08:22 AM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
11,267 Posts
Flyfly F100 super sabre with Lambert Kolibri P20 turbine - first flight and flame out (4 min 9 sec)
PeterVRC is offline Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 11, 2012, 02:34 PM
McQueeney TX
Joined Oct 2005
578 Posts
Not enough power on that small of turbine, mine would eat that thing for lunch!
Dionysus is offline Find More Posts by Dionysus
Old Apr 11, 2012, 05:35 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
11,267 Posts
Yeah, it is about 2.4Kg of thrust by the looks. Only 'cruising' scale flying speeds reached.But it sounds awesome!
And seems susprising aa turbine could be mounted successfuly to keep heat levels from melting foam!! LOL. Must have all fibreglass ducting for a start I would think...
PeterVRC is offline Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 11, 2012, 11:54 PM
Not enough hours in the day
Melbourne
Joined Feb 2009
2,429 Posts
It looks like it was mounted right at the very rear of the model. You can see the turbine's nozzle.
Slaanesh is online now Find More Posts by Slaanesh
Old Apr 12, 2012, 01:12 AM
How close are those trees?
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Apr 2008
1,911 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterVRC View Post
Yeah, it is about 2.4Kg of thrust by the looks. Only 'cruising' scale flying speeds reached.But it sounds awesome!
And seems susprising aa turbine could be mounted successfuly to keep heat levels from melting foam!! LOL. Must have all fibreglass ducting for a start I would think...
This video features the build. Great job BTW!

Flyfly F100 Super sabre Lambert Kolibri P20 turbine and more of the Turbine Flyfly MB339 (7 min 24 sec)
Goody63 is offline Find More Posts by Goody63
Old Apr 14, 2012, 04:13 AM
Australia, NSW, Hillsborough
Joined Feb 2008
92 Posts
Dionysus

Hi Luke
Can you tell me what C of G dimension, you are using please?(measured from the front edge of the removable wing)
Also, roughly how many flights did you get from the 1600 kv motor before it blew?
Does your new Het 700-68-1200, have a 5mm,or an 8mm shaft, the reason i ask ,say down the track,i may want to use it in a different airframe and fan, so are there other fans out there that will accept the 8mm shaft,or is it only CS at this stage ?
To digress for a sec, you wouldnt happen to know the CG(and where to measure it from) for a Starmax 90mm F4 Phantom? Sorry for all the questions, but my F100 is almost ready to go, just have to try and balance the CS 12 blader, with my HET 700-68-1400,going 8S
Thanks Steve
heliclown is offline Find More Posts by heliclown
Old Apr 14, 2012, 06:39 AM
McQueeney TX
Joined Oct 2005
578 Posts
With the model sitting on the floor I measured from the leading edge of the wing right at the fuselage back 265mm, ready to go my F-100 is balancing at this point with a slight nose down angle. It flies great with this balance point and with my 8s set up I have no way to move batteries around anyway.

I believe that I got a bad 1600kv motor from the start, like a lot of this stuff coming from China, sometimes it works great and other times not! The reason I say this is because another guy at our field has one and his works fine.

My motor (700-68-1200) has a 5mm shaft, I bought another rotor aluminum housing that is 8mm just so I would have it for future upgrades.

Sorry, don't have the F-4.

What kind of #'s are you getting with your motor? Good luck and don't worry about the questions, I'm more than happy to help.

On a personal note, looks like my HUN will be grounded this weekend with wind gusts up to 30mph! Gives me time to work on my BIG project, building one of George Millers first F-4 kits I saved from an old storage shed. Probably should have been thrown away, but I'm a glutton for punishment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by heliclown View Post
Hi Luke
Can you tell me what C of G dimension, you are using please?(measured from the front edge of the removable wing)
Also, roughly how many flights did you get from the 1600 kv motor before it blew?
Does your new Het 700-68-1200, have a 5mm,or an 8mm shaft, the reason i ask ,say down the track,i may want to use it in a different airframe and fan, so are there other fans out there that will accept the 8mm shaft,or is it only CS at this stage ?
To digress for a sec, you wouldnt happen to know the CG(and where to measure it from) for a Starmax 90mm F4 Phantom? Sorry for all the questions, but my F100 is almost ready to go, just have to try and balance the CS 12 blader, with my HET 700-68-1400,going 8S
Thanks Steve
Old Apr 14, 2012, 10:03 AM
Official Boat Bum
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Mar 2000
7,394 Posts
Fantastic

Eddie P is offline Find More Posts by Eddie P
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 14, 2012, 03:06 PM
Australia, NSW, Hillsborough
Joined Feb 2008
92 Posts
Dionysus

Thanks Luke
No numbers on the setup yet,i want to balance properly first(waiting for my balancer to arrive)
Are you running a LIFE 2 cell for rx,if so what capacity(would 1000mah be ok?)
And what servos? to suit the higher voltage of the LIFE?i have got Hitec HS-85HB's fitted,with a 2S lipo and sbec, but i would rather eliminate the sbec for safety, and go with life 2S, but then i would have to change my servos,since they are only rated for 6 Volts,but the life is 6.6V? What are your thoughts on that, have i got it right?
Thanks
Steve
heliclown is offline Find More Posts by heliclown
Old Apr 15, 2012, 03:16 PM
McQueeney TX
Joined Oct 2005
578 Posts
Thanks Eddie!

Steve, I'm not running a pack for the receiver, some say you should, but I don't. I tend to go with simple whenever I have a chance and it works for me, so maybe some others would like to answer for those set ups.

I'm using Hitec HS-85bb for servo's, I have not had any problems putting my Hun in a dive at full power, amazing what those little servo's can do!

I tend to focus on painting, scale detail and functional mechanical options on my planes because that is what interests me in the hobby. The rest is just a means to an end. Sorry I can't help you with those questions though!

Luke
Old Apr 15, 2012, 09:39 PM
McQueeney TX
Joined Oct 2005
578 Posts
Got a few flights in this evening as the sun was going down! Winds finally started to subside a bit, anyway have some pictures for all the HUN drivers here! Especially for those that have to much to do and don't have time to finish their Huns!

It's just a joy to fly, and it really makes me look good! Here are some flight shots from today, hope you enjoy: