HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 09, 2012, 11:12 AM
Official Boat Bum
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Mar 2000
7,504 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dionysus View Post
Flew my F-100 for at least 16 flights this weekend, everything is holding up just fine. I flew it for the first time with the 8s set up in the clean configuration, and let me tell you, this thing can really perform!
WOW! Great flying continues. I really like what you are getting with the 8s and 1200kv motor. I think my HET 700-68 1400kv at 3100 watts is gonna be a little overkill after looking at how well you do. Then again I'm up at 5000 feet, I may just go with it and then change out for a 1200kv later if it's excessive. I'm setting it up with 4mm and 5mm plugs so I can swap out ESC/Motor etc. Normally I hard solder everything but the battery. However on this build I'm gonna go for flexibility to experiment a little.

As much as I really love the tanks on Huns I have to say your Hun looked fantastic in the clean configuration. Not only did it perform great but it looked great too. Another fun option in this model.

Your takeoff was sweet - it reflected the faster acceleration, lower drag and weight of the clean configuration. With tanks you would have risen off the ground in a stately manner but clean it just went to it's home in the sky. The rotation was smooth and scale, the climb out of ground effect was way better/more brisk than scale, no surprises. Your landings on the F-100 are in short a thing to aspire for. I'm not saying that we don't always try to improve - we do - but it's a tough thing to balance the low mass, relatively high wind for the speed and mass and massive thrust to weight ratio model airplanes have to deal with in relation to scale situations. Peter's got good points for sure - very good points - but it's a lot hard to make it happen and as the model get's lighter and smaller it's harder yet.

For example, a real F-100 approach speed over the numbers is about 150 - you'd have to have a wind gusting to 30 knots and variable at nearly all it's value to equate to a model F-100 at an approach speed of 25 mph and a wind of 5mph that varies at nearly it's own value. A video of a F-100 flying in this sort of weather would not look smooth compared to a video of one with light and variable winds. Of course that's just wind speed, the mass of the model is the real story

So in short, I'm pretty impressed with the presence of your Hun Luke! Continued thanks for the vids.
Eddie P is offline Find More Posts by Eddie P
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 09, 2012, 11:07 PM
Flying Electric!
United States, MI, Westland
Joined Jul 2006
1,485 Posts
That seems like a great model and I cant wait to get one, I would like to do that in this color
ASAMech is offline Find More Posts by ASAMech
Old Apr 10, 2012, 12:37 AM
How close are those trees?
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Apr 2008
1,924 Posts
Mine arrived today!!

As as I get rid of this F-14 from the building table I'll be making a start.

Kinda like the colour scheme with the red trim in this old vid with the great Bob Hoover.

Also reminded me (in the first minute of the vid) a little of Dionysus's 'scale' flying!!

F-100 Super Sabre - Bob Hoover - flight test (2 min 19 sec)
Goody63 is online now Find More Posts by Goody63
Last edited by Goody63; Apr 10, 2012 at 08:07 AM.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 03:52 AM
ooooh yeah
Ballarat, Victoria, Australia
Joined May 2004
1,626 Posts
Mine arrived today as well, now just gotta wait for the electronics to show up. Sure does look pretty.
Frenche is offline Find More Posts by Frenche
Old Apr 10, 2012, 09:07 AM
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Apr 2008
1,924 Posts
Fan Options

I'm really tossing up about what to order for the 'initial' edf setup.

I'm pretty set on a 6S setup (though I could run 8S with 2 x 4000MAH or 3000MAH 4S lipos, hmmmm).

Anyway initially I was definitely gonna go down the CS 12 blade route (I've already got a few of the 70mm fans) but whilst they sound great; you pay the penalty in amps and efficiency.

So anyway I was just wondering if the stock FF fan is that bad?

I was thinking of maybe even just trying it initially with a HK 3545 1850kv warhead (on 6S) or maybe even using the stock housing with a HET rotor/adaptor?

I know it's not gonna sound the same as the CS but I'm presuming the standard EDF (especially with the HET rotor) may perform better.

Any thoughts or opinions would be appreciated.

Cheers

Dave
Old Apr 10, 2012, 09:12 AM
Flying Electric!
United States, MI, Westland
Joined Jul 2006
1,485 Posts
Is there a rtf version of this?
ASAMech is offline Find More Posts by ASAMech
Old Apr 10, 2012, 10:09 AM
McQueeney TX
Joined Oct 2005
579 Posts
[QUOTE=Goody63;21288063

Anyway initially I was definitely gonna go down the CS 12 blade route (I've already got a few of the 70mm fans) but whilst they sound great; you pay the penalty in amps and efficiency.

So anyway I was just wondering if the stock FF fan is that bad?

Dave[/QUOTE]

Dave, not sure what you are tying to achieve here, is it strictly a cost issue? Your not going to "pay" with anything to run the CS 12 blade fan, it is just a type of fan that needs a certain set up, and yes it has different demands. Right now I'm flying slightly over 3 min and having to replace about 2700 mAh back in the batteries, I've still not reached it's potential.

It is a lot of work and frustration to take shortcuts, trust me I've tried my share. If you want to potentially destroy your fuselage then use the stock Fly Fly rotor, I would discourage you from doing so if I could.

Efficiency, well there is a few ways to look at that isn't there? Below are 2 pictures, one is very efficient on gasoline and the other not.
Dionysus is offline Find More Posts by Dionysus
Old Apr 10, 2012, 10:26 AM
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Apr 2008
1,924 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dionysus View Post
Dave, not sure what you are tying to achieve here, is it strictly a cost issue? Your not going to "pay" with anything to run the CS 12 blade fan, it is just a type of fan that needs a certain set up, and yes it has different demands. Right now I'm flying slightly over 3 min and having to replace about 2700 mAh back in the batteries, I've still not reached it's potential.

It is a lot of work and frustration to take shortcuts, trust me I've tried my share. If you want to potentially destroy your fuselage then use the stock Fly Fly rotor, I would discourage you from doing so if I could.

Efficiency, well there is a few ways to look at that isn't there? Below are 2 pictures, one is very efficient on gasoline and the other not.
Good points (and great pics ).

Probably cost does come into it a bit (and laziness ) but I can fully understand your comment re taking shortcuts. I went through 3 pairs of 70mm fans in my WM J-11B before I settled on the CS fans, (and am now going to change the motors again!!).

The only combos I never seem to change are my HET/Wemo setups!!

The CS fans do sound great though and (I know I'm being cheap) but I do have the fan and Turnigy 3025-1500kv in my HK cart ATM.

I'm also interested in the X-flight combo cos their motor appears to be less amp hungry than the Turnigy (but I wish HK sold that X-flight/PWRC 1600kv motor cos it would probably be cheaper than some of the other suppliers).

I'm not in the position to buy a HET or similar for this one ATM but probably will down the track (when I'm a little more financial).

Decisions, decisions!!!!!!
Old Apr 10, 2012, 11:51 AM
wannabe Jet guy
Green Valley, AZ
Joined Aug 2004
2,010 Posts
1200kv to 1400kv Max for the CS Fan or else you are going to be drawing the amps you where trying to stay away from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goody63 View Post
Good points (and great pics ).

The CS fans do sound great though and (I know I'm being cheap) but I do have the fan and Turnigy 3025-1500kv in my HK cart ATM.

Decisions, decisions!!!!!!
CRCJA is online now Find More Posts by CRCJA
Old Apr 10, 2012, 12:12 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
11,544 Posts
Did you try putting the supplied Fly Fly rotor into its housing? You might just find it doesn't even really quite fit.... blades scraping before they even rotate at any RPM at all, to stretch them out even more if it can rotate at all then.
It is a terrible fan, just waiting for someone to power it up so it can explode! LOL
Three Fly Fly's I have are all the same deal.... same fan, same rubbish.

Most cheapie fans, and cheapie motors, will get you to 2.2Kg easily. And possibly higher if you want to wear them out even faster! But I would want 2.7Kg or more in this thing, so that moves things a bit higher in the scale of costs and what you will get of use on a tight budget.
The fan itself is not that expensive, so a CS12 or someother cheapie are not that far apart in the total power system cost. eg CS12, useful motor, ESC.... $120. Cheapie fan.... save $10 - $15.
A "useful" motor is one that can do the job, maybe at 1.5x its manufacturer specs (pretty well everyone is running stuff over spec). Cheapies are run at 2x specs, or more, to get the good results they can give.... but how long will they last?

If you want a 'cheapie', I am re-testing this one again on the weekend. Hoping to see 2.5Kg from it on 6S. It runs nicely... mine came well balanced really, and it seems made well enough (far better than Fly Fly). It was a bit under 100A last tests (90's I think?), but I will see on the re-test.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=14788
[ hmmm, out of stock for now....]
PeterVRC is offline Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Skyzone Goggles - Button Shield
Old Apr 10, 2012, 12:16 PM
Southwestern VA
Joined Nov 2009
476 Posts
Dionysus - I catch myself watching your videos over and over again. Excellent craftsmanship man!

I went with the CS 12 bladed fan / 1600kv outrunner combo from X-flight. Turnigy nanotech 4000mah 25C pack (waiting to buy some packs with a higher C rating). Hitting about 89 amps. 3 minute maiden flight left the pack at just over 22.4 volts.

Although mentioned several times in this thread, I decided to give the stock wheels a try. Mine were the original all plastic wheels, not the newer alloy hub. Even though I greased the axles well, both mains locked up on landing (soft landing on paved runway at that) and one of them broke in half and ground a big flat spot on the hub. Does anyone have a good U.S. source for the newer alloy hub wheels? I'd like to get them in time for SEFF so ordering them from overseas is out at the moment.
jpbrimmer is offline Find More Posts by jpbrimmer
Old Apr 10, 2012, 12:24 PM
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Nov 2005
5,770 Posts
Quote:
....So anyway I was just wondering if the stock FF fan is that bad?...
No, not in my opinion it's just harder to get the variant white noise sound out of it...this starmax F18 is using the 90mm 7 blade.

Note: It's the ducting in this jet that makes the white noise variant volume (whoosh) sound more pronounced not necessarily the fan but the 7 blade gets it closer than a lot other fans

90MM Starmax F 18 Maiden Flight (2 min 36 sec)

Quote:
This is an unfair rumor someone started about these fans, here's a video putting out similar amount of thrust per watt as a wemo fan

RCL 1280kv \CS90mm 12 blade fan\HK 200amp esc\6s (0 min 47 sec)

Quote:
...I know it's not gonna sound the same as the CS but I'm presuming the standard EDF (especially with the HET rotor) may perform better...
I love the CS90mm 12 blade but in this bird unless you're putting the watts diionsys is putting through it then I can't hear the fan all that well. Tip whine in a wemo goes down to a little bit louder than the CS fan at around 3000+ ish watts too so it'll get quite but you'll be able to hear the fan at lower RPMs

Dionsys proved the theory that the more watts the louder the "whoosh" variant white noise sound and the more I can hear it and that's why I want to try 4000 watts in the F100 now after seeing the plane go through the paces with around 3000watts.... Should be interesting.

I've done around 8-9lbs of thrust in this bird before and it was super fast but didn't think it could take any type of maneuvering

I'm going to be doing no more than shallow dives
erh7771 is online now Find More Posts by erh7771
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by erh7771; Apr 10, 2012 at 12:31 PM.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 12:34 PM
Joined Nov 2005
5,770 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpbrimmer View Post
...Does anyone have a good U.S. source for the newer alloy hub wheels? I'd like to get them in time for SEFF so ordering them from overseas is out at the moment.
Check out EMS wheels, they are VERY VERY scale and have a decent price.

They're a tad heavier but I think they can literally stop bullets, I have the 3.5 for a bigger project and was thinking of buying some of the smaller ones for scaling out other planes

http://www.arfpromodelplanes.com/ind...chk=1&Itemid=1
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 10, 2012, 12:41 PM
Joined Nov 2005
5,770 Posts
Quote:
...The CS fans do sound great though and (I know I'm being cheap) but I do have the fan and Turnigy 3025-1500kv in my HK cart ATM. ..
I don't think this is being cheap, long ago I bout some name brand audio speakers that were nice in price but performance for what I listened to was horrible and later learned to look at specs.

Here's my vid of the L3026 1500kv (which is really around 1700kv), it's a real nice motor for the price and I can't complain about 7lbs of thrust for 13oz fan.

I think someone in another thread was going to test it in plane, I haven't gotten around to it.

CS 12 blade 90mm\HK 200 amp 6s esc\HKs L3025 1500kv heli motor (1 min 31 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 10, 2012, 02:41 PM
wannabe Jet guy
Green Valley, AZ
Joined Aug 2004
2,010 Posts
F-100D 20th Fighter Wing

OK, so I hardly ever have time to finish my own planes, but an F-100 pilot asked if I would finish his F-100 for him. He served in the 20th Fighter Wing, 79th Fighter Squadron from 64-67. I could not find many pictures, I went to
http://www.f-100.org/hun.shtml
and got all they had there, but checking to see if anyone else might have any other documentation that might be helpful. I am going to check airliners.net too I guess I will also revive my original build thread for those repairs.

Thanks

Thanks
Ralph
CRCJA is online now Find More Posts by CRCJA