HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Apr 07, 2012, 07:11 AM
Hope is not a Strategy
Lojik's Avatar
Australia, VIC, Caroline Springs
Joined Apr 2011
1,475 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterVRC View Post
Does the Keilor club gate have to be locked at all times? Or is it left open as long as someone is in there? Not much fun getting to a locked gate that is almost 1km from the field! hehe.

I would think very early mornings are best conditions to fly - like 7.30am onwards (or even a bit earlier). I head out most days, before work, to my local "big park area" to fly. But won't be taking out 90mm's there!
So Sunday I would head wherever I go, to be there before 8am.... and it is 35mins to Keilor for me (versus 13mins to Reservoir).
Hi Pete

I dont want to derail this thread to far

Gate is locked at all times when members are not on the field, this is to secure the field

I can see the distance being a pain, maybe check the weather link on our website before heading over, if it's good and a weekend almost guarantee someone there, or pm me and I will let you know if I'm going.

Members get a key to the gate, but outer gate is locked at sundown

Any other queries pm me mate, dont want to get off topic any more for the sabre flyers.

Sorry guys
Lojik is offline Find More Posts by Lojik
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 07, 2012, 11:37 PM
ooooh yeah
Frenche's Avatar
Ballarat, Victoria, Australia
Joined May 2004
1,626 Posts
Ok back onto F-100 stuff, I just ordered the ESC, retracts, servos, UBEC, rx and a few other little things from HK. Basically now all I need is batts and some struts/wheels. The Aus warehouse has some 4s 4500mah 45c packs for a good price, 2 of those should really make this come alive and not be too heavy.
Frenche is online now Find More Posts by Frenche
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 08, 2012, 01:13 AM
Hope is not a Strategy
Lojik's Avatar
Australia, VIC, Caroline Springs
Joined Apr 2011
1,475 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenche View Post
Ok back onto F-100 stuff, I just ordered the ESC, retracts, servos, UBEC, rx and a few other little things from HK. Basically now all I need is batts and some struts/wheels. The Aus warehouse has some 4s 4500mah 45c packs for a good price, 2 of those should really make this come alive and not be too heavy.
Hey mate, I think mark at erc might have some hobby top gun wheels and struts that might work, and not bad price for what they are: http://www.extremerc.com.au/estore/i...oducts_id=1006
Lojik is offline Find More Posts by Lojik
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 08, 2012, 10:05 PM
Registered User
Dionysus's Avatar
McQueeney TX
Joined Oct 2005
581 Posts
Flew my F-100 for at least 16 flights this weekend, everything is holding up just fine. I flew it for the first time with the 8s set up in the clean configuration, and let me tell you, this thing can really perform! I did get some video, but it was with an inferior camera, the sound is not good and the breathing of the camera man can be clearly heard! But you have to use what you can get, and this is the best I can do at this time.

I hope the video gives you some sense of the performance of this thing, the sound and presence in person is not captured by this video, but like I said I hope it gives you an idea of what it is like! The aileron control without the tanks and bombs is much faster and very crisp, it's awesome!

I'm tired and my thumbs are killing me, so I'm going to bed, hope the video finishes uploading to YouTube, here is the link, I hope you enjoy! I just got to say this thing is so sweet now, love it!

http://youtu.be/xGVwvxCNokA
Dionysus is online now Find More Posts by Dionysus
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 08, 2012, 11:12 PM
Registered User
4stripes's Avatar
Canada, ON, Burlington
Joined Jan 2009
3,350 Posts
Nice video Luke!
The fuel tanks and bombs look great but I found the same large improvement in handling once removed.
My father finished the cockpit today so here are a couple snaps. He also gave the whole plane a spray of flat clear to reduce the shine from the Callie graphics markings. It almost makes the vinyl look like paint.

It should fly much better now with pilots...
Cheers Eric
4stripes is offline Find More Posts by 4stripes
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 08, 2012, 11:29 PM
Registered User
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
11,766 Posts
Wow!! That is an amazing cockpit!!
I feel sad now.... for mine. LOL.
PeterVRC is offline Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 08, 2012, 11:50 PM
Registered User
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
11,766 Posts
And another great flying demo by Luke! Poor video quality or not, it still looks great.
Seems to be 150kph area, maybe even more. So that is very spritely - and flown nicely in a small airspace to keep the spectators (viewers) entertained! hehe

Do you land with the throttle at idle? It looks so.
The process of it coming a bit more and more nose up to the end, and how much airspeed it loses per its angle - but in a few videos I noted it makes you push that limit a fraction too far so it 'drops' the final bit to the ground. Rather than 'flying right in'.
It is just that very last little bit, like one second - you could not do that last bit of push (pushing the lift limit with too much AoA for the airspeed left then) and it would land with near total horizontal inertia and little, or no, vertical inertia.

They are very good landings.... but I am picky! LOL.

PS: the take-off was a bit harsh/'sharp' too, LOL. The climb out (angle) was fine, just the quick take-off rotation and 'leap' bit.
We just don't see the 'weight' of the real plane's in these models. You can make them show it, via how you fly them - but seeing they are relatively light wing loadings, you can make them show unrealistic bits too.

The scale flying is great - You always do that smooth realism path well. And even the tighter air-space manouevers etc. still fits the 'weight and performance envelope' - though not the high speed rolls, LOL, but I know you were just demonstrating what it can do now!

That is an awesome plane and no wonder you could fly it all day!!
(one month, sooner or later, I will finish mine...)
PeterVRC is offline Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 09, 2012, 12:00 AM
Registered User
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Nov 2005
5,868 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dionysus View Post
Flew my F-100 for at least 16 flights this weekend, everything is holding up just fine. I flew it for the first time with the 8s set up in the clean configuration, and let me tell you, this thing can really perform! I did get some video, but it was with an inferior camera, the sound is not good and the breathing of the camera man can be clearly heard! But you have to use what you can get, and this is the best I can do at this time.

I hope the video gives you some sense of the performance of this thing, the sound and presence in person is not captured by this video, but like I said I hope it gives you an idea of what it is like! The aileron control without the tanks and bombs is much faster and very crisp, it's awesome!

I'm tired and my thumbs are killing me, so I'm going to bed, hope the video finishes uploading to YouTube, here is the link, I hope you enjoy! I just got to say this thing is so sweet now, love it!
Nice bit of flyin!

Did you notice any louder low frequencies durin high speed passes?

Also, prolly asked this already...how did you balance it with 8s packs?

Regards
erh7771 is offline Find More Posts by erh7771
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 09, 2012, 02:53 AM
Registered User
Australia, NSW, Hillsborough
Joined Feb 2008
92 Posts
Roll Rate

Hi Luke
Beautiful job mate,and very impressive roll rate, compared to mine( which is stock) To achieve that roll, did you mix the ailerons with elevators ie elevons?

Keep those great videos coming!
PS is your motor a HET 700-68-1400?
Thanks Steve
heliclown is offline Find More Posts by heliclown
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 09, 2012, 03:11 AM
How close are those trees?
Goody63's Avatar
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Apr 2008
1,930 Posts
Standard Cocpit

Hi Guys

I've got one of these on its way from HK.

However I was just wondering if the standard cockpit is setup for one pilot or two?

Cheers for any advice
Goody63 is offline Find More Posts by Goody63
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 09, 2012, 03:34 AM
Registered User
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
11,766 Posts
Two pilots... and the "cockpit" is really cheap and nasty thin pastic. Almost not worthy of calling it a cockpit, lol... rather "A flimsy piece of plastictrying to be a cockpit"
I used mine, but it really would love to be replaced by either something built up from balsa, or even better (and harder to do) if done with plastic. eg like a plastic model airplane does.

I will fix mine up after I see how the plane goes....
PeterVRC is offline Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 09, 2012, 06:14 AM
How close are those trees?
Goody63's Avatar
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Apr 2008
1,930 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterVRC View Post
Two pilots... and the "cockpit" is really cheap and nasty thin pastic. Almost not worthy of calling it a cockpit, lol... rather "A flimsy piece of plastictrying to be a cockpit"
I used mine, but it really would love to be replaced by either something built up from balsa, or even better (and harder to do) if done with plastic. eg like a plastic model airplane does.

I will fix mine up after I see how the plane goes....
Thanks Peter

Looking forward to seeing it??
Goody63 is offline Find More Posts by Goody63
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 09, 2012, 06:24 AM
Registered User
Dionysus's Avatar
McQueeney TX
Joined Oct 2005
581 Posts
Thanks Eric, looking very impressive man! Got Dad to do some work, great!

Peter, very good evaluation of my flight, you are correct! I did fly it very un-scale like so that I could demonstrate how sporty this thing can fly. Usually I don't whip my scale planes around like that, but everyone likes different things and I wanted to show another side of the plane.

How I use my throttle on landing is completely dependent on wind and airspeed, it does very a bit. Most of the time I land with some throttle, I work hard on my landings to be consistent every time, and I can say with this plane in the 60 or so flights I've never had a hard landing. You might be interested to know that I have the stock plastic wheels and just 1/8" steel wire struts on the mains! I've never bent those struts, so you know how smooth I've kept the landings!

Anyway Peter, I am planning a video to show just how scale this plane can be, you may like that one!

I was at the field from 8am to 3pm both Sat and Sun!

erh7771, The video camera used for the video is of low quality, not my HD stereo sound unit, the plane sounds much better in person. I'm not sure what you are listening for, but the turbine guys at our field are very impressed with my plane and it's sound!

I'm using a 5s and 3s pack, so I stick the 5s pack way back by the CG and then the 3s pack in front of that. It works out great, and nothing else was needed to balance the plane.

Heliclown, I'm just using the stock throws on the ailerons, but the plane is doing about 120mph so I'm sure that extra speed increases the roll rate dramatically.

I'm running the Typhoon 700-68-1200kv motor.
Dionysus is online now Find More Posts by Dionysus
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 09, 2012, 07:04 AM
Registered User
Dionysus's Avatar
McQueeney TX
Joined Oct 2005
581 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by heliclown View Post
Hi Luke
Beautiful job mate,and very impressive roll rate, compared to mine( which is stock) To achieve that roll, did you mix the ailerons with elevators ie elevons?
Steve, Forgot to mention, my ailerons are the scale shape and size! The stock ailerons are further out on the wing and are smaller, so when I measured the throw on the inboard edge of my aileron, it probably is much more than stock!
Dionysus is online now Find More Posts by Dionysus
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 09, 2012, 09:46 AM
Registered User
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Nov 2005
5,868 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dionysus View Post
...Peter, very good evaluation of my flight, you are correct! I did fly it very un-scale like so that I could demonstrate how sporty this thing can fly....
Thx for this vid, I wouldn't think this bird could roll like that

Quote:
...I was at the field from 8am to 3pm both Sat and Sun!...
LOL...I done this before but come home ready for bed...I'm getting old

Quote:
... I'm not sure what you are listening for, but the turbine guys at our field are very impressed with my plane and it's sound!...
That's cool, if turbine guys like you're sound you're on the right track. I was think we could get the really low level 30hz to 70hz frequencies from this jet because it has a big cavity in front of the fan. When I flew with around 9lbs of thrust I could literally hear a faint 30hz "rumble" from the jet somewhere...it was wicked sounding and thought if there was a way it could be amplified we could get more pink noise out of electric jets vs just the white noise whoosh sound...I'll be trying 1280kv "special" motor on 8s...we'll see.

Quote:
...I'm using a 5s and 3s pack, so I stick the 5s pack way back by the CG and then the 3s pack in front of that. It works out great, and nothing else was needed to balance the plane...
Cool, you still thinking about going to WACO late summer?

Would love to do some formation flying with you if we get the chance.

Quote:
...but the plane is doing about 120mph so I'm sure that extra speed increases the roll rate dramatically....
NICE!!!

This reminds me of when people had the MK3 Supra and wanted MK4s but couldn't afford them. Then someone tricked out their MK3 with staggered rims, lowered about 2 inches, shimmed the waste gate and did a bigger IC and tail pipe for 300HP to the ground for around 3 grand..It looked like something exotic, it was pimp.....then the 5 speed turbo cars flew off the EBAY and the prices went up too.

I got mine for 1200 with a blown HG, fixed the head gasket and had the best time with that car.
erh7771 is offline Find More Posts by erh7771
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Alert ···SCOOP···RBCkits F-100 Super Sabre···SCOOP··· Prop-er Electric Ducted Fan Jet Talk 71 Feb 16, 2009 03:57 PM
Build Log - contest - Micro EDF30 F100 Super Sabre metroidrc Scratchbuilt Indoor and Micro Models 119 Feb 19, 2008 06:50 PM
F-100 Super Sabre lebardemelon Pusher Prop Jet Models 5 Apr 20, 2005 09:34 AM
F-100 Super Sabre Tim H. Electric Ducted Fan Jet Talk 22 Apr 28, 2002 09:26 AM
F-100 Super Sabre Ed Couch Electric Ducted Fan Jet Talk 6 Dec 30, 2001 11:12 AM