SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Apr 03, 2012, 09:01 PM
Registered User
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
10,938 Posts
Yeah, the HXT900 might be a problem.
I don't have a small MG, but I can get some before it is ready to fly anyway.
PeterVRC is online now Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FPV Cameras & fixed or pan/tilt
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 03, 2012, 11:37 PM
How close are those trees?
Goody63's Avatar
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Apr 2008
1,889 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterVRC View Post
Those all seem a bit small.
I have 5800's to use in mine
Or a pair of 3000's too that I might use.
But I have not weighed and balanced it all out yet.
Thanks Pete

I've actually got a pair of 3000's too so might try them out too.

I initially just thought they may be too heavy.

Cheers
Goody63 is offline Find More Posts by Goody63
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 05, 2012, 07:44 PM
ooooh yeah
Frenche's Avatar
Ballarat, Victoria, Australia
Joined May 2004
1,590 Posts
I just pick up the EPO version for under $130 shipped to my door, should hopefully arrive next week. Can't wait to get stuck into it, thinking either Israeli colours (look good on just about anything) or SEA, fully loaded with ordnance of course
Frenche is offline Find More Posts by Frenche
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 05, 2012, 11:35 PM
Hope is not a Strategy
Lojik's Avatar
Australia, VIC, Caroline Springs
Joined Apr 2011
1,459 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenche View Post
I just pick up the EPO version for under $130 shipped to my door, should hopefully arrive next week. Can't wait to get stuck into it, thinking either Israeli colours (look good on just about anything) or SEA, fully loaded with ordnance of course
where you fly bro?
Lojik is offline Find More Posts by Lojik
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 06, 2012, 12:08 AM
How close are those trees?
Goody63's Avatar
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Apr 2008
1,889 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenche View Post
I just pick up the EPO version for under $130 shipped to my door, should hopefully arrive next week. Can't wait to get stuck into it, thinking either Israeli colours (look good on just about anything) or SEA, fully loaded with ordnance of course
That must have been the lucky last!!!
Goody63 is offline Find More Posts by Goody63
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 06, 2012, 03:59 AM
Registered User
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
10,938 Posts
Lojik, I went over to the Keilor flying field this morning (Friday), but of course it was locked up with no one there so I just walked in the 'near kilometre' (!!) to check it out. What a WIDE runway! lol.
Too bad the second lot of runway material 'width' wasn't just used for a 90deg runway instead!
But it is a LUXURY runway compared to other options!

And boy was it windy!!! I had just come from flying in Reservoir (7.30am till 9am) and the wind was picking up by then, but by the time (9.40am approx) I FOUND the Keilor site it was a hurricane!

When I headed homewards, it was impressive watching the real jets heading into Tullamarine doing severe banks, something like 500ft above the freeway, to come around for the headwind runway! It looks impossible that they could fly so slow, and banked so much.... amazing.
PeterVRC is online now Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FPV Cameras & fixed or pan/tilt
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 06, 2012, 06:26 PM
ooooh yeah
Frenche's Avatar
Ballarat, Victoria, Australia
Joined May 2004
1,590 Posts
Lojik, I normally fly my bigger stuff out at a friends place who has a lot of space but he's moving so I'm currently looking for a new 'field'

Goody63, yup last one from the aussie hk warehouse, at that price I just couldn't resist.
Frenche is offline Find More Posts by Frenche
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 06, 2012, 09:38 PM
Hope is not a Strategy
Lojik's Avatar
Australia, VIC, Caroline Springs
Joined Apr 2011
1,459 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterVRC View Post
Lojik, I went over to the Keilor flying field this morning (Friday), but of course it was locked up with no one there so I just walked in the 'near kilometre' (!!) to check it out. What a WIDE runway! lol.
Too bad the second lot of runway material 'width' wasn't just used for a 90deg runway instead!
But it is a LUXURY runway compared to other options!

And boy was it windy!!! I had just come from flying in Reservoir (7.30am till 9am) and the wind was picking up by then, but by the time (9.40am approx) I FOUND the Keilor site it was a hurricane!

When I headed homewards, it was impressive watching the real jets heading into Tullamarine doing severe banks, something like 500ft above the freeway, to come around for the headwind runway! It looks impossible that they could fly so slow, and banked so much.... amazing.
Hey mate, yer yesterday was insane, as someone from the Aussy thread said "I'm not surprised a cow didn't fly past"

I can't get out today as I got a B-day to attend to but I plan on Sunday if the weather holds.

Still working on my jets and Tucano so I haven't got anything to fly atm apart from a UMX sukhoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenche View Post
Lojik, I normally fly my bigger stuff out at a friends place who has a lot of space but he's moving so I'm currently looking for a new 'field'

Goody63, yup last one from the aussie hk warehouse, at that price I just couldn't resist.
Frenche, if your close come check out Keilor Down flying field, we have a cracker of a runway and some nice guys to boot. we are located in the Keilor downs golf club Kings Rd Exit off Calder Freeway
Lojik is offline Find More Posts by Lojik
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 06, 2012, 11:36 PM
ooooh yeah
Frenche's Avatar
Ballarat, Victoria, Australia
Joined May 2004
1,590 Posts
Nice I'll def come have a look, is there any day in particular that would be best? Is the runway suitable for these 90mm jets?
Frenche is offline Find More Posts by Frenche
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 07, 2012, 12:08 AM
Registered User
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
10,938 Posts
Keilor has a VERY wide runway.... maybe 20m+
Length should be fine, that looked to be something like 60m or more. (even 100m?)
Basically it looked fine for 90mm.... though being a hard surface it might be fun slowing them enough after landing to turn before running out of room. ??? Might be fine though.

I took a heap of pics, but should have checked them as I found out later that I had my phone/camera still set for Macro.... so all very blurry and half useless really. LOL

Pic1) End corner of runway looking diagonal back to the club area. The taxiway in the distance is pretty well the halfway point, so much the same length of runway goes out to the far left of this pic too.
Pic2) From taxiway (pilot area almost) out to the right end start of the runway
Pic3) End corner looking right up the runway. It uses a reddy/pink surface for the other ends half of the runway.
The whole area is virtually treeless so there isn't much to hit, LOL. Though that reduces the fun/scenery aspect a little bit too.
But all in all, a good place for big aircraft.... 90mm/120mm, turbines too I would think. Then the slowing it down, as it rolls onwards, fun part....
PeterVRC is online now Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by PeterVRC; Apr 07, 2012 at 12:14 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 07, 2012, 12:43 AM
ooooh yeah
Frenche's Avatar
Ballarat, Victoria, Australia
Joined May 2004
1,590 Posts
That look like one sweet setup, I think it my be time to renew my VMAA membership. Also today I placed an order for a wemo midifan and a arc 3675-1, good for about 3kw and 4kg of thrust, should be fun for some low fly-bys followed by a long vertical climb out
Frenche is offline Find More Posts by Frenche
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 07, 2012, 01:14 AM
Hope is not a Strategy
Lojik's Avatar
Australia, VIC, Caroline Springs
Joined Apr 2011
1,459 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterVRC View Post
Keilor has a VERY wide runway.... maybe 20m+
Length should be fine, that looked to be something like 60m or more. (even 100m?)
Basically it looked fine for 90mm.... though being a hard surface it might be fun slowing them enough after landing to turn before running out of room. ??? Might be fine though.

I took a heap of pics, but should have checked them as I found out later that I had my phone/camera still set for Macro.... so all very blurry and half useless really. LOL

Pic1) End corner of runway looking diagonal back to the club area. The taxiway in the distance is pretty well the halfway point, so much the same length of runway goes out to the far left of this pic too.
Pic2) From taxiway (pilot area almost) out to the right end start of the runway
Pic3) End corner looking right up the runway. It uses a reddy/pink surface for the other ends half of the runway.
The whole area is virtually treeless so there isn't much to hit, LOL. Though that reduces the fun/scenery aspect a little bit too.
But all in all, a good place for big aircraft.... 90mm/120mm, turbines too I would think. Then the slowing it down, as it rolls onwards, fun part....
We have a few turbine pilots at our field, great guys, although they arn't there all the time, mostly they fly out of Northern.

90mm and 120mm EDF's are a breeze to land on the surface, the fiberglass actually has good traction and will slow well, and just in case there is a little grass buffer at each end

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenche View Post
That look like one sweet setup, I think it my be time to renew my VMAA membership. Also today I placed an order for a wemo midifan and a arc 3675-1, good for about 3kw and 4kg of thrust, should be fun for some low fly-bys followed by a long vertical climb out
The only downside of our field are the small set of power lines about 300m parallel to the runway at about 50m height, they are easy to spot but just gotta watch your downwind height

the other is we are only allowed to go to 300ft instead of 400ft due to how close we are to Melbourne international, its a "we'll ignore you if you follow this rule" agreement, so basically gliding is not really an option although powered gliders can still work well as long as they keep below the limit

There are usually a few guys during the afternoons most days, its a 7 day field, best day to come out would be any Sunday morning, most likely to see an official there then.

site is: http://home.vicnet.net.au/~keilorrc/

memberships are about the same as most fields, names Jack by the way, 6ft 4" English, you can't miss me, say hello if you see me
Lojik is offline Find More Posts by Lojik
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 07, 2012, 01:24 AM
ooooh yeah
Frenche's Avatar
Ballarat, Victoria, Australia
Joined May 2004
1,590 Posts
300ft is still pretty decent, I'll be sure to some down one Sunday and check it out. I'm 6'4" and Canadian but born to English parents so I kinda stand out too lol, but don't really have an accent anymore.
Frenche is offline Find More Posts by Frenche
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 07, 2012, 03:42 AM
Hope is not a Strategy
Lojik's Avatar
Australia, VIC, Caroline Springs
Joined Apr 2011
1,459 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenche View Post
300ft is still pretty decent, I'll be sure to some down one Sunday and check it out. I'm 6'4" and Canadian but born to English parents so I kinda stand out too lol, but don't really have an accent anymore.
Awesome mate, hope to have my third fly fly model finished soon, really wanna get out and fly.
Lojik is offline Find More Posts by Lojik
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 07, 2012, 05:52 AM
Registered User
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
10,938 Posts
Does the Keilor club gate have to be locked at all times? Or is it left open as long as someone is in there? Not much fun getting to a locked gate that is almost 1km from the field! hehe.

I would think very early mornings are best conditions to fly - like 7.30am onwards (or even a bit earlier). I head out most days, before work, to my local "big park area" to fly. But won't be taking out 90mm's there!
So Sunday I would head wherever I go, to be there before 8am.... and it is 35mins to Keilor for me (versus 13mins to Reservoir).
PeterVRC is online now Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FPV Cameras & fixed or pan/tilt
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Alert ···SCOOP···RBCkits F-100 Super Sabre···SCOOP··· Prop-er Electric Ducted Fan Jet Talk 71 Feb 16, 2009 02:57 PM
Build Log - contest - Micro EDF30 F100 Super Sabre metroidrc Scratchbuilt Indoor and Micro Models 119 Feb 19, 2008 05:50 PM
F-100 Super Sabre lebardemelon Pusher Prop Jet Models 5 Apr 20, 2005 08:34 AM
F-100 Super Sabre Tim H. Electric Ducted Fan Jet Talk 22 Apr 28, 2002 08:26 AM
F-100 Super Sabre Ed Couch Electric Ducted Fan Jet Talk 6 Dec 30, 2001 10:12 AM