Canada, ON, Burlington
Joined Jan 2009
2,940 Posts
Nice clear pictures Lars!
What motor/fan/battery are you using?
Cheers Eric
4stripes is offline Find More Posts by 4stripes
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Some photos of the EDF fleet!
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 26, 2012, 08:30 AM
McQueeney TX
Joined Oct 2005
572 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4stripes View Post
Some flying today...
Eric, Thank you for the pictures, you've done a great job on your HUN! I like the speed brake, now were you the first one to do that mod or was it me?! Remember to taxi out with the speed brake down raising it before takeoff and taxi back in with the brake hanging down, then you will be doing it right!

Just so everyone knows, my HUN is down for maintenance, that motor combo deal from X-Flight finally failed. The bearings in the motor went after about 25 flights or so. I bought a Typhoon 700-68-1200kv for an 8s set up, upgrading the ESC to a Castle, I'm still waiting for that. I'm going to try and fly this weekend if the ESC comes in, I'll keep you posted.

Luke
Dionysus is offline Find More Posts by Dionysus
Old Mar 26, 2012, 08:54 AM
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Nov 2005
5,709 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4stripes View Post
Some flying today...
great pics

The pic with the bridge looks very very scale

Love the wheel strut covers
erh7771 is offline Find More Posts by erh7771
Old Mar 26, 2012, 09:00 AM
Joined Nov 2005
5,709 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lars N View Post
Finally, my model was flown this weekend.
This is very close to how my model looks right now without decals.

This model begs to be scaled out with strut covers, flaps (even if they're not needed), speed break, AB lights, working door covers and still remain fairly light and easy to land

Great model value
Old Mar 26, 2012, 10:40 AM
Official Boat Bum
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Mar 2000
7,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dionysus View Post
Just so everyone knows, my HUN is down for maintenance, that motor combo deal from X-Flight finally failed. The bearings in the motor went after about 25 flights or so. I bought a Typhoon 700-68-1200kv for an 8s set up, upgrading the ESC to a Castle, I'm still waiting for that. I'm going to try and fly this weekend if the ESC comes in, I'll keep you posted.

Luke
I have a feeling you your motor/fan is going to sound even better with the HET 700-68. Those are quality motors - they seem to me to be just under the Neu motors in terms of quality, I have both. (That makes them of the higher quality type for me, at a very good price still).
Eddie P is offline Find More Posts by Eddie P
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 26, 2012, 10:51 AM
Canada, ON, Burlington
Joined Jan 2009
2,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dionysus View Post
Eric, Thank you for the pictures, you've done a great job on your HUN! I like the speed brake, now were you the first one to do that mod or was it me?! Remember to taxi out with the speed brake down raising it before takeoff and taxi back in with the brake hanging down, then you will be doing it right!

Luke
Hi Luke
You can take credit for the speed brake idea! I saw yours and thought it was a great idea. My plane has no where near the work of yours but it is quite nice when you stand 10 feet away (stand off scale)! Many compromises were made for simplicity, weigh savings and durability but I think it works. For years we built highly detailed scale models but unfortunately weight affected the flying qualities of some of them. This plane is surprisingly heavier than some of my other FF and HTG models but it still flies well. 3.55kg is not light for 6S. My Starmax F/A-18 is 2.7kg and the vertical performance is noticeably better.

Sorry to hear about the bearings in the CS factory 1600kv motor as I have the same in my F/A-18 and thought they were rather small. I have over 20 flights with no problems so far, but I will have to measure them to buy spares (perhaps better quality too). if you happen to have your motor apart, could you measure the failed bearings? They are likely metric.
Cheers Eric
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 26, 2012, 08:55 PM
Canada, ON, Burlington
Joined Jan 2009
2,940 Posts
This is our flap linkage setup. One servo drives the leading edge and trailing edge flap per wing. The LE linkage has CF tube over the wire to provide stiffness and prevent buckling of the wire at high speed.
You can also see our 1/2" square hardwood rail retract mounts. The one retract mounting screw ahead of the spar has a hardwood dowel glued into the foam. The TE flap is made from fiberglass sheet.
The LE linkage passes through the drop tank mount area so it is well hidden with the tanks installed.
If you look closely you can see the fishing line brake running from the TE flap control horn to the landing gear strut. Above the tire is the brake "paddle" with velcro brake lining. They are surprisingly effective. I take off and land with flaps extended. When I need to stop with brakes, I simply retract the flaps and the line pulls the paddle tight onto the tire stopping the aircraft.
This was first installed on our HTG L-39 (if you want to see more details).
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1424562
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by 4stripes; Mar 26, 2012 at 09:11 PM.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 09:05 PM
Canada, ON, Burlington
Joined Jan 2009
2,940 Posts
Here is the speed brake.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 26, 2012, 09:17 PM
Canada, ON, Burlington
Joined Jan 2009
2,940 Posts
I was concerned about the wing attachment tabs strength so I added CF tubing (arrow shaft blanks) to transfer the loads back into the thicker foam.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 26, 2012, 10:28 PM
Official Boat Bum
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Mar 2000
7,262 Posts
Nice work Stripes on the LE flap work, and stabilizing the LE flap linkage through the pylon. Looks great - thanks for the pic!

Like you, I also messed with the forward wing attach points too. It's probably fine, mostly just me being picky probably but also as a result of my nose gear mod due to the fuse shortening I actually had to make some changes.... I ended up making mine more traditional in that it uses two dowels anchored into forward ply notch mounts on the sides of the forward wing. Same idea though in that I anchored the ply formers with bamboo skewers anchored into thick foam and the former bulkheads with gorilla glue. It's bullet proof and light. I also swapped out the metal hardware in the aft section of the wing hold for 1/4" nylon bolts. Easy to replace and more to what I wanted.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 26, 2012, 10:40 PM
Canada, ON, Burlington
Joined Jan 2009
2,940 Posts
Eddie P
We also used 1/4" nylon wing bolts for the wing. Replaced the thin plywood nut mount with some 1/4" ply then drilled the holes and tapped them once the wing was in proper position. I really don't like those metal blind nuts as they never seem to thread onto the bolts without binding or coming adrift (or they fill with glue).
The LE flap linkage goes through the pylon but is not supported by it. The CF tubing provides plenty of stiffness.
Foam is so easy to modify to your individual tastes. Long live the foamies!
Cheers Eric
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 26, 2012, 10:53 PM
Official Boat Bum
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Mar 2000
7,262 Posts
I fully agree - Long Live Foamies These things are a hoot. Easy to mod. Easy to get flying. I personally took a long time to come around to the wonders of EPO too (finally tried it with some small 70mm foamie jets and bigger WWII prop warbirds, loved it immediately for the ease). For ease of assembly and fun flying it's tough to beat. I'm still a big fan of glassing, especially for wood and for scratch builds. I went EPS on this one to glass it but if I did another one of these Hobby Top Gun jets I'd probably do EPO or I'd just cover EPS with StyroSpray1000 and call it good. Of course I'm saying this because I have had to take a small break in the build due to work and tax commitments! I may fall back into my old ways once I finish this and get it flying. Glass models are a lot more fun to own, fly and look at than sand, fill and prime.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 26, 2012, 11:29 PM
Joined Nov 2005
5,709 Posts
Speaking of EPO anyone see the "composite" epo on the new HK edf glider?

Anyone know what it really is?

TIA
Old Mar 27, 2012, 12:25 AM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
10,922 Posts
Eric...the velcro ordinance mounting system works fine then? Seems a good idea to make things much easier!!
PeterVRC is offline Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FPV Cameras & fixed or pan/tilt
Old Mar 27, 2012, 12:26 AM
Official Boat Bum
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Mar 2000
7,262 Posts
I looked at the glider and it looks like it has basic EPO foam flying surfaces and a basic plastic fuselage - Calling it a composite airframe is not technically correct, and it's a marketing "scheme" really. It's not what most people mean nor is it the proper definition or what people have in mind when they say composite and airframe in the same sentence. But looking at what folks are saying it seems to be a nice airplane!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterVRC View Post
Eric...the velcro ordinance mounting system works fine then? Seems a good idea to make things much easier!!
I'd be interested in this too. I've used velcro twice on ordinance and other stores. Both times I've eventually regretted it as the security of larger pieces eventually becomes less than secure even with slots backing up the velcro. But I'm sure there are good ways of doing it, that I might learn from.
RCG Plus Member